Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDeezy P
Stranger
Supercharging fluorescent ballasts? Seeking lighting advice for a small grow
    #823398 - 02/04/17 09:42 AM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Hi all! Long time member of the shroomery here, branching out looking for some help setting up my first grow. Hoping you all are as supportive as they are at the shroomery!

Like I said, I'm currently establishing plans for my first grow area, which will be about 2.5' x 5', and no taller than 5', with 2 plants being trained SCROG style. BUT, I'm a little hung up (ha!) on what I should do for lighting. I would like to use what I already have on hand if possible, but what I have on hand may only produce some weak product. Here's my current situation:

I have about 6 spare 2-bulb T8 lights laying around. I understand they won't produce anything worthwhile on their own, but I recently came across a video showing how to "supercharge" a fluorescent ballast by basically combining 2 ballasts into 1, and doubling its lumen output to exceed a T5. Does anyone have experience doing this?
I also have seen LED tubes thet have been put out recently for T8 ballasts, some claiming to be suitable for growing. Would those be worthwhile? And, could I use those on a supercharged ballast?

I also have a spare lamp laying around, but not sure for what kind of bulb. It's a ceramic socket reading "660 w 220 v" on the inside. Does that mean I could use a 600 w HPS bulb?

If all else fails, I may be interested in investing in a T5 or LED light, but would really like to avoid doing so unless I won't be able to make what I have on hand work out for me. If that is the case though, feel free to point me in the right direction on what you think would work best for my set up.

All input is appreciated!

Edited by Deezy P (02/04/17 01:45 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Emerald City Flag
Re: Supercharging fluorescent ballasts? Seeking lighting advice for a small grow [Re: Deezy P]
    #823401 - 02/04/17 09:47 AM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Not sure about the "double ballast" but curious to find out more :popcorn:

I know flourcents are not good for flowering. They work Ok, and has to be in the 2400k color spectrum (5000k and 6500k for vegging).

OfflineDeezy P
Stranger
Re: Supercharging fluorescent ballasts? Seeking lighting advice for a small grow [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #823404 - 02/04/17 09:56 AM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Here's a link to what I'm referring to: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WJncJmkQPtM
And right, I understand fluorescent lights aren't ideal. But considering I'll be training them, I thought maybe the light penetration wouldn't matter as much. And if I can supercharge the ballasts and use LED tubes, maybe I could make them worth something, you know? But I'm no professional. That's why I'm asking you :grin:

Edited by Deezy P (02/04/17 09:59 AM)

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
Re: Supercharging fluorescent ballasts? Seeking lighting advice for a small grow [Re: Deezy P] * 2
    #823412 - 02/04/17 01:34 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

It's called overdriving, and while it does increase light output, it's not quite a linear relationship (doubling wattage into the bulb does not actually double lumens). Additionally, the bulb life is reduced, leading to more bulb replacements, and the safety of fixture is no longer guaranteed.

If you are cool with all of this, then it's a good way to squeeze more light into a smaller space.

Led bars will probably not work for this unless you know the current capacity of the individual LEDS and compare them to the expected current through the unit. LEDS are sensitive to small changes in current, and doubling the current through the unit may blow the LEDS.

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

OfflineDeezy P
Stranger
Re: Supercharging fluorescent ballasts? Seeking lighting advice for a small grow [Re: Data]
    #823422 - 02/04/17 06:57 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

I wondered about the safety of doing this as well. Good info, appreciate it.

What about the fixture I have reading "660 w 220 v". Does that mean I can use a 600 w HID bulb in it?

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
Re: Supercharging fluorescent ballasts? Seeking lighting advice for a small grow [Re: Deezy P]
    #823425 - 02/04/17 07:49 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Not really sure, I know HIDs require unique starting circuitry to initially strike the arc. Chances are that, unless its specifically built for HID, then it won't work.

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Re: Supercharging fluorescent ballasts? Seeking lighting advice for a small grow [Re: Data]
    #823426 - 02/04/17 08:02 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Seems weird a fluorencent would use 660 watts at 220 volts.

Offlinefunky
Smoker
 User Gallery

Re: Supercharging fluorescent ballasts? Seeking lighting advice for a small grow [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #823430 - 02/05/17 04:33 AM (7 years, 1 month ago)

If you're talking about the icecap 660 florescent ballast then yes it drives a t5ho to 95 watts safety if you have active cooling.  I bought a retro fit about 8 years ago for my reef tank, the ballasts don't last very long compared to regular ones . I think they make a hid ballast to but I think they are referring to the florescent version. 

In the long run over driving bulbs isn't worth the extra heat oh an if I didn't say yet they get very hot , an bulb life is cut in half. Just my opinion.  Be safe and cheap endcaps will melt.

OfflineDeezy P
Stranger
Re: Supercharging fluorescent ballasts? Seeking lighting advice for a small grow [Re: funky]
    #823449 - 02/05/17 07:26 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

This is the ballast in question.

Definitely says 250v instead of 220. Sorry for the mix up

Anyone able to identify exactly what kind of lamp I've got here?? I'd prefer to be sure what it's capable of before I would try anything lol

And I think overdriving is out of the question now. Not worth risking a fire to save a few bucks. Appreciate all the feedback

Edited by Deezy P (02/05/17 07:30 PM)

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #823450 - 02/05/17 07:59 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Its capable of powering a normal light bulb, no more.  That is not a ballast, that is a light fixture.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineDeezy P
Stranger
Re: Supercharging fluorescent ballasts? Seeking lighting advice for a small grow [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #823451 - 02/05/17 08:04 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Lol oh okay. And by normal light bulb you mean CFL or what?

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #823453 - 02/05/17 08:54 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

CFL, Incandescent, that type of bulb

--------------------

-niteowl

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Supercharging fluorescent ballasts? Seeking lighting advice for a small grow [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #823454 - 02/05/17 08:56 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

That or a heat lamp type of bulb.  But in no way is it really fit for a decent grow.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #823455 - 02/05/17 09:08 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

That's a heavy duty shop light. It has a ceramic base instead of plastic. That's why its capable of handling 600w.

If you want to run a large CFL you'll need something like that to handle the extra heat it generates. The plastic one's dry out and crumble eventually.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Re: Supercharging fluorescent ballasts? Seeking lighting advice for a small grow [Re: phychotron]
    #823457 - 02/05/17 09:49 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

They make massive 100-200 watt CFLs. That would be your best bet if u wanna use that shop light fixture :shrug:

Just to be clear, a ballast is a small rectangular box that has a power in and power out and is used to power lights on. Its basically a power adapter (like u see for home wireless phones, routers and whatnot), but for light bulbs.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies