Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Syd Barrett's Unannounced Visit To Abbey Road Studios During Pink Floyd Session * 1
    #822930 - 01/23/17 03:39 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Syd Barrett “left” Pink Floyd in 1968 because of mental illness as a consequence of heavy drug use.  But basically, in January 1968, the band just stopped picking him up for rehearsal and David Gilmour began learning all of Barrett’s parts.  In 1967, Barrett’s use of LSD had done so much serious damage that his erratic behavior caused the band to cancel their U.S. tour and the group officially announced that he was no longer in the band on April 6, 1968.

A few years after they parted ways, the members of Pink Floyd only saw Syd Barrett one more time.  The pseudo reunion took place on June 5, 1975 at Abbey Road Studios during the recording sessions for “Wish You Were Here”. The band was in the process of completing a final mix of “Shine On You Crazy Diamond” a song that is coincidentally is about him, when Barrett showed up unannounced.  He was overweight, had shaven his head and eyebrows, and was clutching a plastic bag as he entered the room at Abbey Road.

Roger Waters, who was working in the studio, initially did not recognize him and Richard Wright was also mystified by the identity of the visitor. He presumed that the man was a friend of Waters’ and asked him, but soon realized that it was Syd.  David Gilmour presumed he was an EMI staff member,  Nick Mason also failed to recognize him.  Eventually, they realised who he was and Waters was so distressed that he was reduced to tears.

Barrett held a toothbrush and attempted to brush his teeth by holding the brush still and jumping up and down. When asked by a fellow visitor how he had managed to gain so much weight. Barrett said he had a large refrigerator in his kitchen, and that he had been eating lots of pork chops.  He also mentioned that he his services were available to the band, but on listening to the mix of “Shine On” he showed no sign of understanding its relevance to his plight.  Waters finally managed to ask him what he thought of the song, and he simply said he did not like it, and walked out of the studio. This would be the last time any member of Pink Floyd would ever see him.  Barrett passed away on July 7, 2006.

In an interview for VH1, Rick Wright spoke about the session, saying:

“One thing that really stands out in my mind, that I’ll never forget; I was going in to the the Shine On sessions. I went in the studio and I saw this guy sitting at the back of the studio, he was only as far away as you are from me. And I didn’t recognise him. I said, ‘Who’s that guy behind you?’ ‘That’s Syd.’ And I just cracked up, I couldn’t believe it… he had shaven all his hair off… I mean, his eyebrows, everything… he was jumping up and down brushing his teeth, it was awful. And, uh, I was in, I mean Roger was in tears, I think I was; we were both in tears. It was very shocking… seven years of no contact and then to walk in while we’re actually doing that particular track. I don’t know – coincidence, karma, fate, who knows? But it was very, very, very powerful.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSham87
マリオ
Male

Re: Syd Barrett's Unannounced Visit To Abbey Road Studios During Pink Floyd Session [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #822931 - 01/23/17 04:12 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Damn man, truly ironic and sad. Beautiful song and album.

you know what they say about LSD tho, once you go black you never come back :sun:

--------------------
...once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

OfflineManitou
Indépendantiste
Male User Gallery

Loc: Québecédelic
Re: Syd Barrett's Unannounced Visit To Abbey Road Studios During Pink Floyd Session [Re: Sham87]
    #822934 - 01/23/17 06:19 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

I always liked that story, its just crazy how well timed it was, sometimes destiny gets you where you need to be on the right moment, I think this is a good exemple of that.

--------------------
Pour un instant, j'ai respiré très fort
Ça m'a permis de visiter mon corps
Des inconnus vivent en roi chez moi
Moi qui avait accepté leurs lois
J'ai perdu mon temps à gagner du temps
J'ai besoin de me trouver une histoire à me conter
Pour instant j'ai oublié mon nom
Harmonium - Pour un instant
--------------------------------------------

Invisibledrawde
Re: Syd Barrett's Unannounced Visit To Abbey Road Studios During Pink Floyd Session [Re: Manitou] * 4
    #822935 - 01/23/17 06:20 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Sometimes you don't brush your teeth, you teeth your brush

--------------------
King Koopa said:
The amount of pot that Gask smokes is equivalent to a guy shooting heroin on weekends

InvisibleAmanita86
Head Manager

Loc: Just south of down.
Re: Syd Barrett's Unannounced Visit To Abbey Road Studios During Pink Floyd Session [Re: drawde]
    #822968 - 01/24/17 08:36 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

I bet to be a fly on the wall of Barrett's apartment would be a type of strange that your average mind can't begin to imagine.

--------------------
It's not easy being green..:bouncysmoke:

InvisibleGetFuckingWeird
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Syd Barrett's Unannounced Visit To Abbey Road Studios During Pink Floyd Session [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #823378 - 02/03/17 05:45 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Good read

InvisibleDr. SiekadellykM
Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ketamine Flag
Re: Syd Barrett's Unannounced Visit To Abbey Road Studios During Pink Floyd Session [Re: GetFuckingWeird]
    #823382 - 02/03/17 08:58 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Ive read this before its quite sad.

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom