Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
An iceberg the size of Delaware is about to break off from Antarctica. * 4
    #822595 - 01/12/17 09:25 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

http://www.sciencealert.com/an-iceberg-the-size-of-delaware-is-about-to-break-off-from-antarctica-and-it-s-really-bad-news

Ice shelves like this hold back the flow of the ice sheets in the continents interior. Because the ice sheets are so thick, the surface ice can flow on top of the deeper ice, resulting in ice streams that form tributaries of the larger glaciers that flow off of the antarctic plateau towards the ocean.

After this large chunk breaks away from the ice shelf, the nearby glaciers will speed up, allowing more ice from the interior to flow out into the ocean. While this type of calving event is not necessarily related to global climate change, keeping track of the amount of ice lost each year vs. the amount of ice added back the ice shelf from nearby glaciers vs. new ice accumulation in the continent's interior while provide key indications as to the progression of climate change. Just like ice cubes in a drink, the poles help to moderate large temperature changes by adding or losing ice (phase changes absorb/release energy at a constant temperature).

Anyway, I'd love to witness the final separation of the iceberg, mainly to hear what it sounds like. Also the video is pretty neat. :dancingshroom:

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMof
Male

Re: An iceberg the size of Delaware is about to break off from Antarctica. [Re: Data]
    #822619 - 01/13/17 02:34 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

The ice shelves are just an old relic from the ice age  :snub:

Invisibledrawde
Re: An iceberg the size of Delaware is about to break off from Antarctica. [Re: Mof]
    #822621 - 01/13/17 09:56 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Mof said:

Who needs lame ice anyway?

*sips drink with ice frozen with refrigerants*

--------------------
King Koopa said:
The amount of pot that Gask smokes is equivalent to a guy shooting heroin on weekends

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: An iceberg the size of Delaware is about to break off from Antarctica. [Re: drawde]
    #822622 - 01/13/17 12:43 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Guys come on...

Everyone knows that the cool, oxygen rich antarctic bottom water is what keeps Godzilla alive down in the darkest depths of the southern oceans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarctic_Bottom_Water

Also, all that ice on the Antarctic Plateau keeps the slumbering Cthulhu from getting pissed and devouring everything alive in his hot-headed rampage.

This is a super cereal problem we've got here...

--------------------

InvisibleChemical Addiction
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: An iceberg the size of Delaware is about to break off from Antarctica. [Re: Data]
    #822623 - 01/13/17 02:34 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

I say we let them melt, maybe we'll find another stargate

--------------------
Sure. Don't expect me to compensate your wife and five retarded kids after I've drowned your exposed brain in my semen.
    Spider Jerusalem

OfflineMof
Male

Re: An iceberg the size of Delaware is about to break off from Antarctica. [Re: Chemical Addiction]
    #822626 - 01/14/17 05:00 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

algae lol

InvisibleChakanooga
Always Lmao
Male

Loc: Wonderland
Re: An iceberg the size of Delaware is about to break off from Antarctica. [Re: Mof]
    #822674 - 01/16/17 12:47 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

You know the science conspiratards are going crazy!

Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

Re: An iceberg the size of Delaware is about to break off from Antarctica. [Re: drawde]
    #822682 - 01/16/17 05:00 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Data said:
http://www.sciencealert.com/an-iceberg-the-size-of-delaware-is-about-to-break-off-from-antarctica-and-it-s-really-bad-news

Ice shelves like this hold back the flow of the ice sheets in the continents interior. Because the ice sheets are so thick, the surface ice can flow on top of the deeper ice, resulting in ice streams that form tributaries of the larger glaciers that flow off of the antarctic plateau towards the ocean.

After this large chunk breaks away from the ice shelf, the nearby glaciers will speed up, allowing more ice from the interior to flow out into the ocean. While this type of calving event is not necessarily related to global climate change, keeping track of the amount of ice lost each year vs. the amount of ice added back the ice shelf from nearby glaciers vs. new ice accumulation in the continent's interior while provide key indications as to the progression of climate change. Just like ice cubes in a drink, the poles help to moderate large temperature changes by adding or losing ice (phase changes absorb/release energy at a constant temperature).

Anyway, I'd love to witness the final separation of the iceberg, mainly to hear what it sounds like. Also the video is pretty neat. :dancingshroom:

pretty neat...

Quote:

drawde said:
Quote:

Mof said:

Who needs lame ice anyway?

*sips drink with ice frozen with refrigerants*

i know that word!

--------------------
Learning to love life by living through loss and mistakes
Lessons learned then gradually surfacing, Letting go, stripping naked to scream
I am not perfect nor do I strive to be, I am alive in this world of face first falls and public breakdowns
I'm a retarded, disfigured clown
Dying to be heard through the simple art of letting this heavy wall finally fall
I'm an equal being of no race, or color, a hallucination if you will
Sneaking into the lives of strangers, and letting them fall apart to a new rhythm just to feel better

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: An iceberg the size of Delaware is about to break off from Antarctica. [Re: poor boy]
    #822688 - 01/16/17 08:33 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Hey pb, wanna come to NC and help me hook up one of those little split A/Cs? I've got those little shitty flare nuts torqued on the external unit, but I need access to a vacuum pump and manifold so I can leak test it.

I really wish I could solder the refrigerant lines and be done with it :grizzlybear:

--------------------

Invisiblepoor boy
Village Idiot
 User Gallery

#822833 - 01/19/17 07:47 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

mini splits are easy, but can turn into a huge pain while servicing them.

one thing, if youre going to run a vac on the lines you will also need a micros gauge. you could run a vac for 5 hours but it wont mean shit if you have leaks. you need to get into at least 500 microns with that gauge.

--------------------
Learning to love life by living through loss and mistakes
Lessons learned then gradually surfacing, Letting go, stripping naked to scream
I am not perfect nor do I strive to be, I am alive in this world of face first falls and public breakdowns
I'm a retarded, disfigured clown
Dying to be heard through the simple art of letting this heavy wall finally fall
I'm an equal being of no race, or color, a hallucination if you will
Sneaking into the lives of strangers, and letting them fall apart to a new rhythm just to feel better

Jump to top Pages: 1