Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTheman
Stranger
 User Gallery

Fungus gnats...
    #821629 - 12/03/16 01:24 AM (7 years, 3 months ago)

Well what I thought was fruit flies from veggie harvest and just molasses in my feedings causing them in my grow room turned out to be fungus gnats.. Jerks screwed up alot of clones and may loose some phenos.

Some tips

1. Let dry out :wink: hard with clones so doesn't really help

2. Water with 1:4 peroxide regular 3% kills the larva maggots.

3. Layer of diatomaceous earth while not convinced it really kills bugs tottaly, deters them.

4. Sticky traps.

5. Prob best is the bacillus thuringiensis variety Israelis. Forgive spelling. But the stuff in mosquito dunks. Oh and look like mini mosquitos is how to tell them from fruit flies. Mix that up with water and water your plants.. do it after peroxide treatments as it would kill all the bacteria that will kill the bugs! Use dechlorinated aswell. Can also just mix in first cm or 2 of soil if u want aswell.

Hope gives jumping off point. Cheers

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Fungus gnats... [Re: Theman]
    #821633 - 12/03/16 10:41 AM (7 years, 3 months ago)

If you pasutize your soil you kill all the fungus flies eggs.

OfflineTheman
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Fungus gnats... [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #821746 - 12/06/16 08:11 PM (7 years, 3 months ago)

And kill all beneficial mycoryze in the mix lol. But so does peroxide just in top few cm...

Also watered with need just cause they passed me off and think there all gonzo.

Buggers tho larvae eating stem and roots on my clones and killed some..

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #821749 - 12/06/16 10:53 PM (7 years, 3 months ago)

Pasteurizing won't kill that off. Boiling water might. But definitely not pasteurizing.

OfflineSloppy
Be Positive

#821814 - 12/09/16 06:44 PM (7 years, 3 months ago)

I had fungus gnats for the last 4 weeks of my grow. They were annoying, but not aphids or mites so I wasn't really worried. I layered DE and it made it subside a bit, but not really.

Boiling water into your soil? Sounds terrible.

--------------------
FOLLOW MY GROW!

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Fungus gnats... [Re: Sloppy]
    #821815 - 12/09/16 06:56 PM (7 years, 3 months ago)

A layer of Diatomaceous earth turns to sludge as soon as you water and negates the desiccating effects.  A 1" layer of sand will slow them down and allow for easier watering.

I got rid of fungus gnats when I stopped using soil/soilless mix. They come in the bags you buy. Later I thought I still had them but realized they were mature Thrips, which are easy to deal with.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineTheman
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Fungus gnats... [Re: phychotron]
    #821824 - 12/10/16 12:17 AM (7 years, 3 months ago)

Ya and sucks for watering makes like a plug too.

InvisibleChakanooga
Always Lmao
Male

Loc: Wonderland
    #821830 - 12/10/16 02:44 AM (7 years, 3 months ago)

Sounds like a real problem. I see so many solutions, but which one is right.
:hmm:

InvisibleScribbler
because i scribble

Re: Fungus gnats... [Re: Chakanooga]
    #821860 - 12/11/16 10:44 AM (7 years, 3 months ago)

There's no one right answer, but I would say sticky traps are good to deal with the already hatched flies and the mosquito rings are good for the larvae in the soil. Make sure the soil dries out too in-between waterings.

OfflineTheman
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Fungus gnats... [Re: Scribbler]
    #821882 - 12/12/16 08:07 AM (7 years, 3 months ago)

Use all of them! Lol 1 plant that's not in a Geo pot had larva in soil. There was few adults around and assume layed more eggs so hit again with peroxide and neem and later broke up a dunk of thuringiensis or whatever.  Def got handle on them now as before I thought were fruitflies!

OfflineGoonerHeClips
Stranger

#822170 - 12/26/16 09:11 AM (7 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Theman said:
Use all of them! Lol 1 plant that's not in a Geo pot had larva in soil. There was few adults around and assume layed more eggs so hit again with peroxide and neem and later broke up a dunk of thuringiensis or whatever.  Def got handle on them now as before I thought were fruitflies!

Predatory nematodes, the only good solution.  Ditch the rest of your so called solutions which don't work.  Neem and peroxide are not going to work, for sure.  The Bt is a pesticide that may work but didn't from my experience. 

Beneficial Insectary has them, pay the money have them shipped overnight, water them in, and let those nematodes do their thing.  Sand and DE are a waste of time too.  Breathing DE dust is not good, that's for sure. 

Another good addition is the Stratio-S mites aka hypoaspis miles.  Well worth the money for fungal gnat as well as other soil pests.

OfflineSloppy
Be Positive

Re: Fungus gnats... [Re: GoonerHeClips]
    #822177 - 12/26/16 02:54 PM (7 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

GoonerHeClips said:
Quote:

Theman said:

Predatory nematodes, the only good solution.  Ditch the rest of your so called solutions which don't work.  Neem and peroxide are not going to work, for sure.  The Bt is a pesticide that may work but didn't from my experience. 

Beneficial Insectary has them, pay the money have them shipped overnight, water them in, and let those nematodes do their thing.  Sand and DE are a waste of time too.  Breathing DE dust is not good, that's for sure. 

Another good addition is the Stratio-S mites aka hypoaspis miles.  Well worth the money for fungal gnat as well as other soil pests.

:takingnotes:

--------------------
FOLLOW MY GROW!

OfflineTheman
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Fungus gnats... [Re: Sloppy]
    #822196 - 12/28/16 09:40 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Lol diatomaceous is fine to breath. 1000x worse is perlite.

Yes the worked.saw 1 or 2 fly in last week lol. In Soviet Canada it is pricey as not alot of people if any have them. Even in pet industry with there living biome terrariuma.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Fungus gnats... [Re: Theman] * 1
    #822199 - 12/28/16 11:19 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Theman said:
Lol diatomaceous is fine to breath. 1000x worse is perlite.

Diatomaceous earth is NOT FINE TO BREATH. It causes respiratory problems when the fine powder gets into the lungs. Just because its food grade (able to put in your stomach) or that something is worse in contrast does not mean you should expose yourself to breathing its dust.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineTheman
Stranger
 User Gallery

#822205 - 12/29/16 10:20 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Chronic exposure of any dust 100% is bad. My point is unlike perlite it doesn't have xl silica.  There is some specific kinds of de that can be but not what is used for our applications.. inform yourself

Man this site has lost the misinformation mantra.

"In a study of workers, those exposed to natural D.E. for over 5 years had no significant lung changes, while 40% of those exposed to the calcined form had developed pneumoconiosis.[28] Today's common D.E. formulations are safer to use as they are predominantly made up of amorphous silica and contain little or no crystalline silica.[29]"

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Fungus gnats... [Re: Theman] * 1
    #822209 - 12/29/16 01:54 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Just because something is safer in contrast doesn't make it OK. Walk out of a room you just dusted with DE and tell me you can't tell the difference in respiratory function. Permanent damage aside, you will notice something if you spent more than 5 minutes in there. It can also cause skin and eye irritation. And it doesn't matter if that's because of the chemical properties or physical size; you should AVOID exposure.

--------------------

OfflineTheman
Stranger
 User Gallery

#822210 - 12/29/16 02:27 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Correct but I am making the point it is not harmful. U don't throw it in the air and in fact perlite is alot more prone to get airborne for me. That being said studies show its fine but ya forsure any dust is bad to breath... be it de or pollen or dust from vacume. Anyway don't spread mis information!

Yes like pyrethrin is fine to eat it's not fine to breath in. However I am not basing anything on that fact. I think u just assumed I thought that about food grade? Anyway I don't want to have a pis sing match, just want this site to be evidence based and stop misinformation! Your feelings how a room full of dust may be harmful is meaningless rhetoric when a study has proven that to be wrong even in such a "worst case".

Cheers

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #822211 - 12/29/16 08:00 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

If you want to dust an area you'll need to throw it in the air. The evidence of irritation is in experience. I don't know how I can prove to you that I've noticed irritation after using it. It might have only been temporary and unobtrusive but it was real just after a few minutes. 

Pepper spray won't cause any long term damage but that doesn't mean its fine to breath.

--------------------

OfflineTheman
Stranger
 User Gallery

#822215 - 12/30/16 10:19 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Anyway not sure why ur throwing it in the air. But ya breathing dust in irritates. All I am saying is de itself is not harmful, science based. Period. So don't spread mis information.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #822223 - 12/30/16 12:21 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

How do you dust an area with DE?

if breathing in something causes irritation how is that fine to breath? I understand your point that there are more harmful version out there, that's not in dispute. If anyone needs to stop spreading sim-information its you.

"The amorphous form is only associated with mild, reversible lung inflammation."
http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/degen.html

--------------------

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #822226 - 12/30/16 04:58 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

It's like you're talking to a brick wall psycho lol.

OfflineTheman
Stranger
 User Gallery

#822261 - 12/31/16 10:52 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Lol well science says it's not more harmful then mixing up soil and dust comes up. U place on the ground not toss in the air. Anyway u can't accept ur wrong via science. Yes it's as dangerous as breathing in anything!! Lol look it up! Good try tho. Reversible is the key ie no issue. 

Don't toss in air. Place on ground. Horse owners would never rub horses down with it for fleas or put in there food so it flows. If u have ever poured grain u know there is alot of dust.lol sometimes of de because it keeps grains from clumping.

Point is there is no reason to not use de. If toss in the air sure won't be nice for eyes nose or lungs. But no lasting health problems.. ie just accept ur wrong and no reason not to use de.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #822263 - 12/31/16 12:54 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

The point you keep making changes. Now your point is to not avoid using DE? we never discussed anything about not using it until now. Were discussing the application of a product and the risks associated with it.

Quote:

Lol well science says it's not more harmful then mixing up soil and dust comes up.

Can you provide a reference to that claim or are you just assuming that? Colloidal particles in soil are usually in the form of clay and soil is composed of much larger pieces such as sand and silt. Moreover, its moisture content keeps much of it from becoming airborne. With a fine dry powder like DE you get more in the air, increasing your exposure.  I've never seen an exposure warning label on soil, but I have seen one on DE.

From the aformentioned link:

How might I be exposed to diatomaceous earth?
People can be exposed to diatomaceous earth if they breathe in the dust, eat it, get it on their skin, or get it in their eyes. For example, when applying the dust or when entering a treated area before the dust has settled. Exposures can also occur if products are accessible to children or pets. Exposure can be limited by reading and following label directions.

What are some signs and symptoms from a brief exposure to diatomaceous earth?
If breathed in, diatomaceous earth can irritate the nose and nasal passages. If an extremely large amount is inhaled, people may cough and have shortness of breath. On skin, it can cause irritation and dryness. Diatomaceous earth may also irritate the eyes, due to its abrasive nature. Any dust, including silica, can be irritating to the eyes."

OK, we've established its method of irritation is most likely its particulate size. However, that is a property naturally inherent in all Diatomaceous earth. Therefor DIATOMACEOUS EARTH CAN CAUSE IRRITATION! Its method of action DOES NOT MATTER. There are risks associated with exposure to the product.

You probably will be 'fine' after minor exposure, but when it comes to safety that is never the issue. The idea is to avoid anything that may pose a threat to your body. Whether you are willing to take the risk to YOUR BODY is up to you, but its important that people are informed of all the risks and dangers associated with a product before using it so they can make an informed decision before exposing themselves to it.

If you want to express your opinion that its not as bad as one thinks that's fine, but don't try and dismiss the facts because the perceived risk is below your threshold of tolerance.

If I was at work and my employer had me use a product that he said was safe, only to find out after using it all day that my lungs hurt and then they tell me "its fine bro, its not going to do any long-term damage" I would be pissed.

I'm done with this discussion. For the simple reason that I know people that have told me lead paint is safe because they used to eat the paint chips as a kid and they "turnt out fine."

--------------------

InvisibleScribbler
because i scribble

#822269 - 12/31/16 06:56 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

What ratio of mosquito dunk do you mix with water?

OfflineTheman
Stranger
 User Gallery

#822270 - 12/31/16 08:48 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Lol ur hilarious...

Yes ur probably going to be fine as u said ok u admit ur wrong.. Jebus. But it's not probably it's been studied and yes Ull be fine. Lol

Anyway next time just don't say anything until u KNOW as a mod spreading mis info is something ythan wouldn't of stood for back in the day.

OfflineTheman
Stranger
 User Gallery

#822283 - 01/01/17 11:57 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

1 for 3-4 8-10gallon. Or 1 dunk for 6-8ish 3-5gallon pots. More or less depending on ur situation. I imagine u could stretch it alot further if u want. And add less more frequently when u watered with de chlorinated water. U can also crumble and mix in first few cm of soil and or inoculate some potato peices so they forsure eat it. As they need to eat it for it to work as it stops digestion in the larvae.

Letting soil dry is best prevention. And neem peroxide that soaks top inch worked well too. Just don't use peroxide if using dunks as it will kill the bacteria which is what makes the dunks work.

InvisibleScribbler
because i scribble

#822292 - 01/01/17 11:09 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Alright thanks. I let them dry out as much as possible between every watering to try and avoid this suckers but they keep coming back. I used half a dunk for 5 gallons of water yesterday and stirred it real good. Before I just sprinkled it on top of the soil and it seemed to work but if I can just put it in the water then I'll do that!

Offlinepblcenmy1
Perfectionist
Male User Gallery

Loc: CO Flag
    #822328 - 01/03/17 02:20 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Empty one of those cancerous fags atop like a mulch
Peace

--------------------
Down 2 Earth, Up N Space!

OfflineChronic
Stranger
Re: Fungus gnats... [Re: pblcenmy1]
    #822370 - 01/05/17 09:11 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Get the fine grow stones and put a 1 inch layer on top of your soil, it's recycled glass that has been heated and puffed up, it also is a great way to get control of your garden since the gnats get all cut up trying to get into it... Eventually there numbers are diminished greatly... But avoid breathing the dust from it, wash it outside first

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder