Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineChristafonz
Stranger
Male
Favorite LED
    #820686 - 11/01/16 01:06 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

What is your favorite LED? I want to change my LED lights but not sure what one. Instead of asking for what is the best. I want to talk about what people like. Do you supplement during flower with other lights?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Favorite LED [Re: Christafonz]
    #820693 - 11/01/16 06:09 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

I recommend you avoid cheap/generic fixtures and go with a reputable company. I stopped looking for new LED's after switching to Advanced LED lights, the XML650 seems to be the best option they have. I go full cycle, have been doing it since 2011 but started vegging with T5. I wanted to work on getting more light on the sides in the future. 

Check the signature for details. What kind of lights do you have?

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by phychotron (11/01/16 06:12 PM)

InvisibleChemical Addiction
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #820695 - 11/02/16 07:15 AM (7 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Christafonz said:
I want to talk about what people like. Do you supplement during flower with other lights?

I also use advanced LED and I supplement with flouros but thats only because I couldn't afford 2 lights, I have the DS400 and would like to have another next to it. One of the fans is going out on my light but I believe they have a life time warranty on parts, I need to look into that.

--------------------
Sure. Don't expect me to compensate your wife and five retarded kids after I've drowned your exposed brain in my semen.
    Spider Jerusalem

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Favorite LED [Re: Chemical Addiction] * 1
    #820696 - 11/02/16 07:30 AM (7 years, 4 months ago)

Not all are lifetime warranty, but they'll be able to hook you up if you tell them your problems.

The DS400 is amazing but dated and not a practical investment because its not modular. Its hard to replace a few diodes without it.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineChristafonz
Stranger
Male
Re: Favorite LED [Re: phychotron]
    #820698 - 11/02/16 08:17 AM (7 years, 4 months ago)

I have read everything in your signature phychotron. I use gp led production dr/b/fr 150 x3 and 3 of the dark red/blue for a 4x7' space. Decent results recently added another small 300w led but it only uses 150 not sure the type. I have very low wattage but worried yield is my sog technique not being up to snuff.

Curious to try other high quality LEDs and see the difference with the same clones.

My current lights would work great to hang down around the plants for more light with a small footprint.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #820706 - 11/02/16 02:44 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

Cheap generic lights do far inferior results. You have to keep adding fixtures to the area to get the amount of light you want, but soon run out of space to hang them.

I can't even find the lights your talking about.

--------------------

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #820707 - 11/02/16 03:15 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

I think these are the ones he's referring to.
http://hortamericas.com/catalog/horticultural-lighting/philips-greenpower-production-module/
I'm working with advanced led xml series as well.
Read some good things about the new kind led units, but have no experience with them.

--------------------
:getstoned:

OfflineChristafonz
Stranger
Male
Re: Favorite LED [Re: Stoneth]
    #820708 - 11/02/16 03:25 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

I stayed away from cheap generic. An image search for gp led production comes up with the correct lights. long bars with LEDs on the bottom. Stoneth has the correct ones. The 1$ thing is the bracket.

I am going to do some side by side tests for myself. Same everything with only difference in lights. Going to get the xml650

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #820714 - 11/02/16 05:18 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

Ok, its not so bad. I like the style but you need many of them, like 1 for every foot width. Its a matter of getting your footprint and canopy penetration depth correct for your style growth. SOG vs huge plants require different configurations.  That's the style I would consider building. First for the convenience, second the ability to space the bars out as far as needed to get the desired results--just add more as needed. Third it can use passive cooling with no fans if you get a large enough piece of copper or aluminum.

The one downfall of that many small fixtures is having to hang them all and plug them all in, so I'd probably end up using something to bolt them together, simmilar to the BML Spydr

--------------------

OfflineChristafonz
Stranger
Male
    #820717 - 11/02/16 07:17 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

I have two rails connecting the lights on either end. No heatsink needed. Manufacturer says 4 inch gap between that is how I have them. Been successful so far. I think I want them closer together. I have them every other (fr/b/deep red) then (far red/blue)

I trim auxiliary stems so light penetration is less of an issue.

What do you guys think of this? 1200 uses 250 watts. Might test this as well.
http://www.promaxgrow.com/product/max1200/

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #820718 - 11/02/16 07:24 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

The body of the lights are a heat sink. The more you have the more you will overlap, therefor adding more of them will eventually give you the ideal amount for the 4" spacing. Those would be great for side lighting if you had more lights above. What is your size grow space?

Just looking at the marketing material I'd say they're full of shit. 250w in a 4x4 area? nice fucking try... equal to 1000w hps... complete bullshit...  At 6-10" above the plant they don't have the beam angle to reach 4'x4'. Total bullshit, you'll be able to cover an area directly underkneath it, maybe a 2x2 at most, so four of those to fill that size area they're claiming, plus it would probably do a shitty job.

--------------------

OfflineChristafonz
Stranger
Male
    #820719 - 11/02/16 07:43 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

What LEDs would you like to see a side by side comparison?

I previously said I have 28 square feet. I can post a picture if you want. 600 watts I want to test the current lights I have, closer together, but want to see the difference with another led in a different tent.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #820720 - 11/02/16 07:52 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

Woah, 768 LED diodes and only 250watts which means they're only running at about .3watts each. Real lights tend to run 1-3w per diode, with larger COB style whites running 5-100W.

Avoid at all cost. If you under spend on an LED your wasting all your money. Its worth spending the cash on a light that can perform with proven results. These random generic fixtures are all the same. They weren't designed and developed with the market, they were replicated following others research, but made with different or lower grade parts in an attempt to sell one for cheaper than a competitor. 

I had a GrowBlu (similar to Kind LED and other offshoots) and it produced good bud. However by the end of one year 14 of the 16 modules had burned out. He sent the replacement pods but soon went out of business. Basically I figure the warranty service on all the lights he sold was too much so he either changed brand names or went out of business entirely.

There's a lot to consider when buying an LED, I've been thinking of making a massive post of what I like to look for in an fixture. Maybe one day when I have more time.

Please post a photo of your setup, its always easier to understand what's going on when you can see it.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #820721 - 11/02/16 08:04 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

I went with the DS400 and Growblu because of the shape of the fixture, they both handle a 4' long section with a 2-3' width (depending on overlap).  Piecing together fixtures with different or odd footprints can be difficult to achieve even coverage.

https://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/692582

That's a piece of a buying guide that I've been meaning to update. Forgot I wrote it.

--------------------

OfflineChristafonz
Stranger
Male
    #820723 - 11/02/16 08:17 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

I do not own a max 1200. My lights are something like 3 watts an led.

I am going to run my own light study with exactly the same growing conditions except the lights. I like my current lights and understand what makes great LEDs. I am going to run 3 tents side by side with 3 different LEDs in them. I was hoping others had LEDs they wanted to test. Are there any LEDs you wish you could try? Shape of the fixture is not an issue.

Pretty nice guide. Should update and put it in your signature. Good read.

Edited by Christafonz (11/02/16 08:20 PM)

OfflineChristafonz
Stranger
Male
    #820728 - 11/03/16 08:11 AM (7 years, 4 months ago)

Picture of my lights.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder