Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinestara
Stranger

Soil - direct 12/12 from seed attempt - 250/400watts
    #820514 - 10/27/16 02:44 AM (7 years, 4 months ago)

Hello guys,

After my first hydro exprience, this will be my second grow and my first soil grow. I have limited time therefore I wanted to give a try to direct 12/12; Ive read it will finish in 11/12 weeks.

Strains are g13haze, critical jack and white widow.
The substrate is organic batmix compost.
On the top there is a thin layer of regular peat for seeds first days.
I used air pots.(12lt)
250 watt metal halide (at the beginning I used fluorescent but I hadnt got enough fluorescent tubes to cover this area so I swithced to MH the 4th day to prevent further stretcing.)
Humidifier and a weak fan is blowing inside the cabinet.
Now it's the 11th day after seeds sprouted.
I hand water with two days break until the soil is a bit dry and I only water the half center of the pot cause it's to big for these seedlings, this way I tried to avoid overwatering, however, probably the roots are still not very happy with some of the plants, they show some curling reaction.

Btw. I said direct 12/12 but now it's running 18/6 till the 3th week; following this I plan to switch to 12/12 with a 400 watt dualspectrum lamp.

Any opinions, advices? 

Thanks a lot, have a nice day!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Soil - direct 12/12 from seed attempt - 250/400watts [Re: stara]
    #820515 - 10/27/16 07:10 AM (7 years, 4 months ago)

Those airpots are packed 'wrong' for drainage. Ideally you want to gently pack them to the top, and leave a small bowl shape for drainage. Also, the top 2 rows without holes need to be on top.

Eventually the medium compacts and it all runs out the top/sides if you don't fill those right. It probably already happens but will get worse. You might just be able to take some soil and build up a berm around the plant and up the walls.

Those tall thin stretchy plants need fans on them. They will slow down and strengthen the stems they have.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Offlinestara
Stranger

Re: Soil - direct 12/12 from seed attempt - 250/400watts [Re: phychotron]
    #820517 - 10/27/16 11:45 AM (7 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks:) I increased the fan speed. These airpots dont have a difference between the top and base actually, a different manifacturer I think. All holes are open. I can add some more soil and it will be also good for stretced plants. Do you mean this shape?

I
x    I      x
    x I x

Edited by stara (10/27/16 11:46 AM)

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #820518 - 10/27/16 12:48 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

Strange, I've seen knock-off's before but not any that look exactly like their pots. They do look slightly different, what is the lock mechanism for those?

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Offlinestara
Stranger

#820523 - 10/27/16 03:40 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

with two plastic screws for base and top holes. I hope they will work. I couldnt understand this:

'Ideally you want to gently pack them to the top, and leave a small bowl shape for drainage. '

When adding extra soil, should I leave a round hole around the plant :smile: ?

Offlinestara
Stranger

#820544 - 10/28/16 02:25 AM (7 years, 4 months ago)

I added some soil now. The sides and center are a bit higher, is this correct?

Thanks a lot!

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #820550 - 10/28/16 08:20 AM (7 years, 4 months ago)

Looks good, be careful watering. I pack the soil into the sides (into the bumps) at the very top to prevent the stuff from leaking out when you water. Water slow and you'll be fine. I always use coco which is a bit lighter and runs through the holes when not packed tight enough against the sides for the top 6 inches.

You'll see if you have drainage malfunctions with those pots as time goes on. Those pots work really well but can be a pain in the ass to use if you don't know how to pack/water them.

--------------------

Offlinestara
Stranger

#820551 - 10/28/16 09:25 AM (7 years, 4 months ago)

thanks,great! I will try  :smile::thumbup:

Offlinestara
Stranger

#820688 - 11/01/16 03:22 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

Hello guys,

I have some new pics, now it's 16th day after they have sprouted. The pots are big so I try not to overwater, however now with this dry look I watered them. I water only the center of the pot. Do you see a mistake here, that Im not aware of? Or do you think they are slow because of the big pot?

Thanks!

This plant is suffering a bit I think it is overwatering but we'll see what will happen next...

Offlinestara
Stranger

#820965 - 11/10/16 09:25 AM (7 years, 4 months ago)

Hey there,

Now it's the 25th day after seeds sprouted. 2 days ago I topped some of the fast growing plants to have more colas, however, I dont have much time to wait so I thought I better switch from 250 w MH to 400 w lamp to make them faster. The 400 watt lamp is a little on the red side of the spectrum. (though it's claimed dualspectrum light, philips greenpower... I dont have 400 watt MH right now and I want to see what will happen with this lamp so I gave it a chance) Now they have 4 nodes, I plan to run it 18/6 for a week more, following that I will switch to flowering.

Do you think this plan sucks:)? I mean vegging 18/6 with a red spectrum light right after topping. :smile: Strains are critical jack, g13 haze and white widow.

Thanks for any input:)

Have a nice day!

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #820967 - 11/10/16 10:00 AM (7 years, 4 months ago)

They look good. The plants will welcome the added light. Just remember to adjust the height of the bulb to not burn them.

Good idea waiting to flower after you top them, wait until the plants start to respond with fresh growth before you let them go into flower.

--------------------

Offlinestara
Stranger

#820969 - 11/10/16 10:48 AM (7 years, 4 months ago)

Great! thanks Phychotron,

Actually I was concerned with the red spectrum of the bulb. Do you think it will be slower than a blue spectrum MH lamp for one week veg. I hope the topped parts will need one week or so to mature before switching to flowering. If it's a big difference, I can buy one 400 w MH bulb? What do you think?

Thanks a lot again, I appreciate.:wink:

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #820975 - 11/10/16 12:52 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

I don't use HID lighting so I don't know exactly. I don't think you'll notice too much difference if your still new to growing.

You need a ballast that can handle a MH bulb. Some allow you to switch between the two but some only do one bulb type or the other.

--------------------

Offlinestara
Stranger

#820978 - 11/10/16 02:09 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

thanks a lot! I have a digital balast it can handle everything between 250w-600w, it has switches. Good to have that.:smile: What Im curious is, some people grow with HPS all the time and they say it works. As I know; the plant wants blue spectrum during vegetation and if it doesnt find it, it stretches to find it. That's why normally people prefer to use blue spectrum in vegetation right; to have more internodes in a short plant. Now in my case because I dont have enough time for vegetation, I try to get them bigger in short time to be able to induce early flowering, so I thought may be red spectrum will do that better after topping?  But may be this is not correct thinking I dont know. :smile: I will observe the reaction of the plant. :smile:

Offlinestara
Stranger

#822007 - 12/17/16 02:49 PM (7 years, 3 months ago)

Hello again,

Now it's been 17 days into flowering, actually it didnt go very good with the vegetative period so I didnt make any updates. I had a limited time so I decided to switch to flowering with this weak plants anyway. I am also suspicious whether they gonna make it to the finish or not.:/

I think the big pot start was not a good idea as the roots are not spreading very good in the substrate; combined with the bat mix soil it made some of the plants burn. Additionally at some point I gave them flora hydro gro nutrient of 300 ppm for one time which is not appropriate for these, after seeing this mistake I tried to flush the soil with water however I was giving them tap water with a ppm of 200 probably this couldnt clean the soil a lot. The nutrient burn spreaded till I started to give them drinking water with a ppm of 80. Then I switched to flowering.

The plants on the front right and front left are at least good green plants , however others are injured somehow.

I dont understand this G13 this is nutrient burn right? (According to my theory.)

And this white widow, it's not bad but some of the lower leaves went yellow. Again nutrient burn to my opinion as the yellow leaves have brown spots and they are crispy. It didnt spread a lot afterwards.

white widow in the middle from above.

This is critical jack, it was a stretchy one but after topping it went light green and the leaves are not happy as you can see. May be this has nitrogen or magnesium deficiency Im not sure. The other critical jack is very green compared to this one.

I made this post to get some feedbacks from you. Do you think Im correct with my diagnoses or would you say some other things are happening that I cant see? What would you say? :smile:

Thanks a lot, have a nice day!

Offlinestara
Stranger

#822008 - 12/17/16 02:52 PM (7 years, 3 months ago)

Btw. the veg period was 60 days from seed:/

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #822018 - 12/17/16 11:41 PM (7 years, 3 months ago)

If your adding nutrients and are getting deficiencys you should start by checking the ph of the soil and the runoff water.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinestara
Stranger

Re: Soil - direct 12/12 from seed attempt - 250/400watts [Re: Magash]
    #822020 - 12/18/16 03:02 AM (7 years, 3 months ago)

Magash thanks, very good point to make me wake up again:)

I will do it but how can I correct the soil Im sure it will come very acidic.
Would it be just ok to flush the soil with tap water (6,8Ph; easy way but with additives in it 200 ppm, chloride chloromine etc.) or may be better flushing with drinking water with a ph of 7 or 8/9 (I can use ph up for hydro)?
Or would it be better to add a layer of natural limestone on the soil (the one I used for mushrooms it will make the soil 7)and then watering it with a water of 7 Ph? I dont have access to dolomite powder...

Which would be good to go as I have 45 days to finish line?

Thanks a lot!

Offlinestara
Stranger

#822029 - 12/18/16 01:47 PM (7 years, 3 months ago)

I tried to measure the ph of the run off water but the air pots holes make it hard to get the real drainage; after all the pots havent got good drainage at all, I poured a lot of water but even with that it's hard to get run off. :frown: I think the project with bat mix soil was a bad idea. The final ph that I measured was 6,8 / 7 in most of the pots.

Now what I learnt; soil is really boring if you dont mix it yourself.:/

Offlinestara
Stranger

#822929 - 01/23/17 02:24 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Hey there:)

I wanted to share the final results of this soil grow fail.:smile: Anyway it was good to learn from mistakes and every creature is unique in its existence:).

In this attempt the soil didnt have very good drainage and the big airpot start is not very easy to handle compared to solo cup start. I couldnt understand the right amount of water with so many variables. Then I tried to give general organics grow and bloom nutrients hoping to make them bigger and I burned them a bit. It's all about this root problem thing. Despite all these conditions and small poor vegged plants, I tried to see what will happen in the end. Here they are.

I think they are getting close to the finish line, what do you think? It's 54th day of flowering. (white widow, critical jack, g13haze if you can name it after 120 days total:))

Have a nice day!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract