Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSloppy
Be Positive

LEC- Can you cheat the system? Answer- YES! 400W CMH on 400W HPS Magnetic Ballast
    #820308 - 10/17/16 01:54 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Hey guys, I'm looking to add a second 1 light flowering space. But I'm already running 2 1000w HID lights in a tiny apartment bedroom, so it's already becoming difficult to control temp swings, ventilation, etc.

Solution: no brainer for an LEC/CMH fixture to run as the 3rd light. Can totally self contain the second tent with minimal venting needed compared to HID.

Only problem is LECs are really overpriced. I'm running on fumes after setting up my other grow space, I can't afford a $500 120v 315W LEC by my deadline. And to properly line up my harvests I'm going to need to have this second space setup by the first week in November.

So my question.... I have someone on craigslist willing to sell me a glassless reflector and a 400W magnetic ballast for cheap... can I purchase a 315W Phillips lamp and run that with the equipment even with some extra wattage flowing to the circuit? I've read that you can do this but I haven't found a solid answer to my exact situation. :cheers:

--------------------
FOLLOW MY GROW!

Edited by Sloppy (10/26/16 10:38 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSloppy
Be Positive

Re: LEC- Can you cheat the system? [Re: Sloppy]
    #820309 - 10/17/16 02:29 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

There's also a 400W CMH bulb option I just found out, which is great if it's an option because thats 85 more watts that I can use for free.

http://www.htgsupply.com/products/ge-400-watt-ceramic-light-bulb-cmh-lamp

That same site is selling CMH kits with a reflector, the 400W cmh lamp, and a 400W HPS ballast. I was under the impression that these bulbs needed MH ballasts but if either work that's cool too. But essentially, they are selling what I'm trying to do on my own, for not too much more expensive honestly all said and done. But I'll be able to do this using cash myself but I'm just saying... looking good?

--------------------
FOLLOW MY GROW!

OfflineSloppy
Be Positive

#820379 - 10/19/16 01:32 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Ok and I picked up the glassless hood and ballast. Now I'm just trying to find the best place to get a 400w CMH. And I'm also trying to figure out if I can use it for veg and bloom. Any hep is appreciated..

:standingby:

--------------------
FOLLOW MY GROW!

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #820405 - 10/19/16 10:09 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

The cmh requires a hps magnetic ballast not a mh.
It can be used for veg and/or flowering.
IMO they're just hype tho, everyone I've seen try them over the past 8 years went back to hps/mh within a few months.

--------------------
:getstoned:

OfflineSloppy
Be Positive

Re: LEC- Can you cheat the system? [Re: Stoneth]
    #820413 - 10/20/16 11:19 AM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks stoneth, figured out I was wrong about the MH / HPS mixup on the ballast. Although in the last 5 years there's been bulbs that have been made to run on MH side apparently? No matter though, I bought a switchable.

And I'm not going for the hype reasons. Although, I know of people running 12 315s and getting 10lb and it still needed dialing in. The reason I'm getting it as I said before is cause of the talk of the 20% BTU output per watt of HID. That's what I need, and honestly LEC seem a lot less gimmicky than LEDs so that's why I am going this route.

--------------------
FOLLOW MY GROW!

OfflineSloppy
Be Positive

#820499 - 10/26/16 10:40 AM (7 years, 5 months ago)

So update this works and it works well. At least Im talking about light turns on, and it gets so bright you can't look straight at it, and the bright white spectrum is looking promising. Now I'll have to give an update when I have plants vegging under it :wink:

--------------------
FOLLOW MY GROW!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies