Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinear1es
Stranger
Emergency transplant from bad medium to new pot
    #819855 - 10/02/16 08:13 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

This is very stupid I know.

My buddy is growing Girl Scout Cookie in Peat/Verm/Worm Castings with Advanced Hydroponics liquid nutes. The plants were doing pretty well under a CFL, and he recently transplanted from 1/2 gallon pots to about 3 gallon pots. His plan was to put them under the big lights for a couple of weeks before switching to 12/12. We are using the Nugbuckets tek for the first time.

The issue is that he ordered some Worm Castings but got fish food instead. He didn't realize and the plants have been sitting in the fish food/peat/verm pots for a little over a week.

He's been out of town, so I've been babysitting. I noticed that some of the lower leaves were browning, and I looked online and it looked like it could be a phosphorous issue. I did some pH testing, and the levels were crazy low. It was kind of an emergency, so I called him and he told me to check the bags, and this is when we realized the mistake. Stupid I know.

I placed an order for some more perlite and real worm castings yesterday. The worm castings just arrived, but the perlite should be here in the next couple days. I read online that you should water a couple days before transplanting, so I went and gave them a little drink today.

My issue is that most of the information you find about transplanting is mostly to do with moving a plant that has gotten too big and needs a bit more room. These transplants look a bit easy because you are taking pretty much everything out of a pot and then putting it into a hole in a larger pot.

I don't want to damage the plant, but I'm pretty sure that the FUCKING FISH FOOD isn't going to be the best home for it as we prepare to switch to flower. And a lot of leaves are starting to brown. The plants still look pretty damn healthy, but that is probably because the original mix didn't have any fish food. What is the best way to go about transplanting the plants into a better medium?

The plants have only been in the new medium for a little under two weeks. My plan was to shove my hands down the edges of the pots and then feel around until I got an idea of where the root mass is and then carefully lift the plant out of the FISH FUCKING FOOD and into their new pots.

Someone told me I should dunk the entire root ball into a bucket of water to wash off the fish food, but I don't know if that is good advice or not. Will the plants suffer if I accidentally break some of the roots when I'm doing the transplant especially the newer roots that may be stretching to find some nutes in the FISH FUCKING FOOD? 

Should I lift from the bottom of the root ball? The pots they are in are pretty large, so I doubt I'd be able to invert the pot and hold onto the plants at the same time by myself. I know this is a crazy situation we are in, so any help would be appreciated.

Also, he started a handful of seeds in the fish food and was wondering why only 3 popped. 2 are looking good, while the other one probably noticed that hes in fish food and is looking pretty sickly. They are only a couple inches tall. Is it too early to transplant the babies into the better medium? They are growing, but I'm not sure how long it will be until shit goes downhill.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMycophile
 User Gallery

Re: Emergency transplant from bad medium to new pot [Re: ar1es]
    #819905 - 10/04/16 09:54 AM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Can you take some pictures? And what exactly is fish food? Like the flakes you feed your goldfish, or some kind of fish fertilizer?

Edited by Mycophile (10/04/16 09:55 AM)

InvisibleChakanooga
Always Lmao
Male

Loc: Wonderland
Re: Emergency transplant from bad medium to new pot [Re: Mycophile]
    #819906 - 10/04/16 12:37 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Ouch. I hope it solves itself..

OfflinePlague_Wraith
Horseman

Re: Emergency transplant from bad medium to new pot [Re: Mycophile]
    #819951 - 10/05/16 06:30 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Mycophile said:
Can you take some pictures? And what exactly is fish food? Like the flakes you feed your goldfish, or some kind of fish fertilizer?

:thumbup: These are the right questions.

I was wondering if he meant fish emulsion. Usually the packaging will just say "Fish Fertilizer" and I could see how someone might think that's "fish food". It seems like a massive screw up to confuse castings with fish food otherwise.

--------------------
Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured. - Mark Twain

Offlinear1es
Stranger
Re: Emergency transplant from bad medium to new pot [Re: Plague_Wraith]
    #819970 - 10/06/16 07:08 AM (7 years, 5 months ago)

I've never seen anything like it before. It looks like soil, but the bag says it is food for fish. I think maybe for farmed fish. Its not flakes like what most people use for their aquarium.

I made a new medium and did the transplant yesterday. I dug my hands pretty deep in the old pots and lifted everything upwards to try and isolate the root ball. I tried to be careful not to break anything, but I did feel some small roots snapping. Fuck. Got everything into the new pots, and I gave them a good watering. I didn't do any dunking like I was advised, but I think they will probably be okay.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order