Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
Re: Can essential oils be absorbed into buds during flowering? [Re: TrueHerbCrystal] * 2
    #822912 - 01/22/17 01:58 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Generally speaking, the ability of a plant's roots to absorb organic molecules into the xylem for transport to other tissues is almost solely dependant on its hydrophobicity, where hydrophobic molecules typically do not make it into xylem fluids. Since nearly all essential oils are highly hydrophobic, it is reasonable to conclude that introducing them into the buds via the roots is not a feasible route (although some plants are better at doing this than others, and without knowing the lipid and protein content of cannabis xylem fluid, it is impossible to speculate on the relative ability of cannabis to transport hydrophobic molecules).

Additionally, most essential oils (especially citrus and eucalyptus oils) are potent fungicides, and may wreck the symbiotic fauna that plant roots rely on in soil and organic hydro systems.

Finally, as anecdotal evidence against the effectiveness of direct infusion of essential oils into buds/fruit/foliage of plants...I routinely spray rosemary and garlic oils to my outdoor veggies to discourage bugs and fungal infections, and have never once noticed any harvested fruits/seeds/foliage that had a smell/taste other than the expected smells and flavors of the veggie itself. My theory is that they aren't readily absorbed by plant tissues, don't readily diffuse into the solid waxy cuticle of most plant tissues, and don't hang out on the surface for very long due to their volatile nature. If you applied enough to force the desired effect, a concentrated solution usually causes burning of both plant tissue and human skin. :shrug:

Sorry to sound pessimistic, I would love to see the results of your experiment prove my post wrong, and I encourage you to try it, at the very least, foliar application of most essential oils will not result in an increased chance of mold :thumbup:

Keep us posted!

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Emerald City Flag
Re: Can essential oils be absorbed into buds during flowering? [Re: Data]
    #822945 - 01/24/17 03:41 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

thanks for the interesting info.

If it doesnt work, i will try something else. :shrug:

Im not super focused on making it work, but if it does, i would be pretty psyched.

When i get to the essential oil adding stage, i will let ya know how it goes :thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order