Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleNevar44
Stranger

Loc: west/east WA
Cannabis companion planting with mushrooms??
    #804343 - 01/26/16 11:54 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

!!FREE REISHI CULTURE AND ONE RANDOM CULTURE/WEDGE TO USERS WHO WANT TO PARTICIPATE AND DONT HAVE THE CULTURES YET!! MUST HAVE AGAR SKILLS ESTABLISHED ALREADY!!

REQUIREMENTS WILL BE AS FOLLOWED:

MUST POST UR FINDINGS HERE OR IN A NEW THREAD AND GIVE SOMEONE A HEADS UP.

MUST CARRY OUT THE EXPERIMENT THIS YEAR OR NEXT YEAR NO LATER.

IF U LIVE OUTSIDE OF THE USA, U MUST PAY SHIPPING COSTS.

U WILL GET A BAD REVIEW IF U JUST TAKE THE CULTURES AND DONT PARTICIPATE.

curious if anyone on here it's familiar with companion planting with fungi?

And if you are familiar with this, do you have any personal experience or any information on the subject?

No I do not myself have any experience, I have very little info because there is very little information to be gathered to date.

This is a topic that is currently being researched and will probably soon be released and marketed in different ways I imagine. It is quite hard to find any information on the subject yet the very little information that is out shows quite some promise

I know of one book out that will be released and printed in April if I remember right I'm hoping it's a pretty good book

I have dug around on the internet and found people claiming that Reishi mushrooms are the one you want to use for cannabis

Which brings me to my experiment I will be carrying out relatively soon. Soon as I can cut some clones and start experimenting with the clones.

I've also read that the leftover broth from strained liquid culture benefits plants so I'm going to start experimenting by making liquid cultures straining off the mycelium and then using the leftover broth to water my plants at different dillutions with different species..

My goal is to figure out which species cannabis likes.

In time, I will do an outdoor true companion planting. As described in mycelium running by paul stamets and organic mushroom farming and mycoremediation by tradd cotter.

They plant mycelium from a specific oyster mushroom variety and get double the yeild from Brussel sprouts in mycelium running by doing so.

It's basically a layer of mycelium over the dirt. U place straw on top of the mycelium to keep it moist so it doesn't dry out. When u water the water passes through the living mycelium each time... I'll try to find some links

Edited by Nevar44 (01/29/16 03:13 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cannabis companion planting with mushrooms?? [Re: Nevar44]
    #804349 - 01/26/16 12:18 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

I've seen people try to use the mushrooms as a CO2 source but unless you have an acre of mushrooms growing you won't make a difference. This is the only reason I see people growing mushrooms and cannabis in the same area.

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cannabis companion planting with mushrooms?? [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #804351 - 01/26/16 12:21 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Also you want trich mycelium in your soil. They do benefit from that.

InvisibleNevar44
Stranger

Re: Cannabis companion planting with mushrooms?? [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #804380 - 01/26/16 08:29 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Forgive me for the slopy post earlier

--------------------
Reishi For Cannabis??

This is exactly how I grow

Trade List

InvisibleNevar44
Stranger

#804634 - 01/28/16 08:49 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

https://books.google.com/books?id=NPI8_-omzvsC&pg=PA189&lpg=PA189&dq=Brussels+sprouts+king+oyster+mycelium&source=bl&ots=3aoy83ep1J&sig=zNH0LkCS5K7ENy-JW3shkUo30OM&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjZ7--C7czKAhUJ52MKHXrZCtgQ6AEIGzAA#v=onepage&q=Brussels%20sprouts%20king%20oyster%20mycelium&f=false

About pg 192 there are pics of the size difference in the brussel sprout plants and the actual brussel sprouts. Along w a good read...

This link is simply page 192 from Paul stamets book mycelium running on the web..

--------------------
Reishi For Cannabis??

Trade List

Edited by Nevar44 (01/28/16 09:36 AM)

InvisibleNevar44
Stranger

#804638 - 01/28/16 09:40 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

This is a pic from tradd cotter book. Organic mushroom farming and mycoremediation.

The cannabis would go in between the buried reishi logs. Fully colonized w ganoderma lucidum mycelium. I'm starting to think the polysaccharides are what the plants are liking. I have nothing to back this up just speculations, as of now.

Cannabis benefits largely from reishi mycelium being present maybe reishi polysaccharides? ??

Brussel sprouts benefit from kind oyster mycelium.. Maybe polysaccharides? ??

What will we find out next...?

--------------------
Reishi For Cannabis??

Trade List

InvisibleNevar44
Stranger

#804640 - 01/28/16 09:44 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

http://radicalmycology.com/2013/11/15/amateur-mycologist-makes-new-mushroom-plant-companion-discovery/

This is a prime example of the type of info that's out on companion planting yet. Lol... not much... great link

--------------------
Reishi For Cannabis??

Trade List

InvisibleNevar44
Stranger

#804641 - 01/28/16 09:47 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------
Reishi For Cannabis??

Trade List

Offlinemushroomyz08
Creator
Male

Loc: over there
    #804684 - 01/28/16 08:38 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I don't have experience actually doing it and im really not sure which ones would be good companions for cannabis (sorry) but I do grow both. Not an expert but some things to consider.
It all starts with whats in your soil and what mush your growing.
For example:
Compost is a growing sub for both plants and mush. If you have wood mush your going to want sawdust or woodchips or even straw in soil for them to feed off. People colonize substrates with mushrooms and bury them in soil if they get contaminated to still fruit them.
Mushroom mycelium needs to stay damp (not soaked by any means) but idk if conditions would be too consistently damp for the plant roots or not
Not sure how density of mycelium/plant roots would effect one another.
Cultivating mush you have to consider contams (prior to 100% colonization).
Putting into soil with correct sub id assume mycelium will keep growing if conditions are correct onto other food sources.
Also the mushroom compost would in turn be beneficial to the plant by feeding overtime and possibly beneficial bacteria.

I am currently growing both to experiment with the same idea myself. People do this in their gardens but doing it in containers I think would be a little tougher. Id love seeing Portobellos growing next to my beans or cubensis growing with my herb lol! Very cool stuff!

--------------------
Success is a state of mind. 

Offlinelingzhi
Stranger
Re: Cannabis companion planting with mushrooms?? [Re: mushroomyz08]
    #804700 - 01/28/16 10:27 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

i believe the issue is that cannabis and mushrooms like different conditions. cannabis likes it to dry out regularly and problems arise if it is kept wet, which mushrooms thrive on.

Offlinemushroomyz08
Creator
Male

Loc: over there
Re: Cannabis companion planting with mushrooms?? [Re: lingzhi]
    #804702 - 01/28/16 11:03 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Different species like different environments. Try to find something compatible. Oyster mushrooms are very easy to grow but spores can be a mess! I'm sure some mushrooms can tolerate more dry then others but I haven't looked into such a thing. Mush cakes CAN dry out (unintentionally) and be rehydrated, to what extent im not sure but anything is possible.

--------------------
Success is a state of mind. 

InvisibleNevar44
Stranger

Re: Cannabis companion planting with mushrooms?? [Re: mushroomyz08]
    #804707 - 01/29/16 12:17 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

There is no issues. It's being done...

It's been being done for ten plus yrs now. Look at the links and read mycelium running and one would know this...

The link shows ONE of many ways. Then another one of the links shows another way of doing it (w the brussel sprouts..)

I will be doing this, I will come back and post my results here this yr w my indoor experiments.

I'm most excited for outdoor experimemts , which may possibly happen this yr.

Another one of the links describes how someone has been getting a berry plant twice the size by companion planting w nameko mushrooms...

The picture of the logs would be logs colonised with mycelium that are buried as pictured and then your plants would be in rows in between the very logs this is companion planting with mushrooms...one  example of it at least..

--------------------
Reishi For Cannabis??

Trade List

Edited by Nevar44 (01/29/16 12:20 AM)

Offlinelingzhi
Stranger
    #804708 - 01/29/16 01:46 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

it wont work the same way for all plants or mushrooms.

the negatives of fungi in the soil may outweigh the benefits if your trying to grow a good product. people come into problems such as mold from high humidity, or fungus gnats. Thats why we use mycorhizal fungi in the soil which lives in the roots and does not fruit so does not require high humidity conditions. these mycorhizal fungi are very popular today and can be found in just about any grow shop.

i would like to point out that reishi is not mycorhizal, also the mycelium becomes so dense it is almost like rubber which would effect drainage.  they also produce a huge amount of spores which might not be safe to smoke, alot of people complain just from breathing them in. just my observation.

i have read mycelium running front to back many times, i also have done many companion planting in my garden. i have had huge success with strawberry plants. but strawberry, and brussel sprouts, are alot easier to grow than cannabis.

i think you should definately try it. but do a side by side test with a few clones from the same mother and compare them.

Offlinelingzhi
Stranger
    #804709 - 01/29/16 01:54 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

i would be interested to read where people have suggested reishi would be a good candidate to grow with cannabis. because i could not find any examples.

however i am interested in the effects of watering plants with mycelium water, perhaps metabolites come into play here, as i believe they may have many potential health benefits.

InvisibleNevar44
Stranger

#804720 - 01/29/16 07:49 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

It's been being done for ten plus yrs... if u understand mushrooms and plants one can see many applications that don't raise any contam concerns at all...

Yes, u have to dig hard to get info on the subject. That because it currently being studied and no one wants to release their findings yet. If u took the time to read the mycelium running book or link ud realize being a mychorizal species or not is irrelevant. It doesn't need to be a mychorizal species to be utilized for companion planting By any means. In fact all the examples of companion planting using fungi and zero mychorizal species have been used yet that I know of.

The reishi would be applied by burying logs as pictured, then planting ur starts in rows in between the burried colonozed logs. So I'm not sure how drainage and ect would be concerns. Spores? ? Not a concern here... we wouldn't be fruiting the reishi or any of the mush species used for companion planting

I always use good mychorizea. All my experiments will be carried out w plants previously treated w mychorizea.

If u have read mycelium running u would understand that companion planting isn't done with mycorhizea species...

Any mushroom grower who has a wide understanding will know what I'm talking about.

I'll put up a link for u. It took me days to find. This is brand new stuff here u guys...

Some bottled plant nutrients lines contain polysaccharides.  This is why I previously stated that I think the water soluble  polysaccharides may be the key here.

Yes reishi won't be the magic species for every plant. For strawberry the best companion planting culprit may be lions mane mushrooms. We don't know yet.

I will have clones that done get treated to compare, taken from same mother..

I think ur missing some of the concept maybe..?

http://www.instafotom.com/dragonflyearthmedicine/photo/922664734038702255_590327573

This is where I found dragon fly earth medicine stating it's reishi for cannabis.. I believe u will have to go back through all the comments to see the comment where dragonfly earth med claims it's reishi u want for cannabis

--------------------
Reishi For Cannabis??

Trade List

Edited by Nevar44 (01/29/16 08:15 AM)

Offlinelingzhi
Stranger
    #804728 - 01/29/16 10:25 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

i think your being a bit bias, after all you were asking for experience. why ask for a discussion and get defensive? i stated that i HAVE read mycelium running many times, i own it and it is my favorite book. i also have done MANY companion planting.

the link your provided is broken, and if there isnt a single example of reishi companion planting with cannabis how can you be so sure? you have a pre set bias that is effecting your ability to think open mindedly. if you really want to discuss this topic with people, dont get so defensive about it and lets real talk.

Offlinelingzhi
Stranger
    #804729 - 01/29/16 10:27 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Nevar44 said:
It's basically a layer of mycelium over the dirt. U place straw on top of the mycelium to keep it moist so it doesn't dry out. When u water the water passes through the living mycelium each time... I'll try to find some links

this is going to cause the most problems, specifically the "doesnt dry out". cannabis requires oxygen to the roots. this is one of the most common problems growers may run into.

also logs, especially burried and kept moist, attract many varietys of insects. i know this because i DO have experience growing on logs outdoors and partially buried.

Edited by lingzhi (01/29/16 10:28 AM)

InvisibleNevar44
Stranger

#804757 - 01/29/16 01:38 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

It's clear to me u don't fully comprehend what I'm talking about Wether or not u have read mycelium running. I'm tryin to explain it can be done and has been being done. Even in mycelium running log cultures are depicted w plants in between them. In the permanent culture farm depiction.

It's frustrating when u tell someone it's been being done. And ur looking for good input. And u have someone coming w pure skepticism like it's too good to be true. Take it or leave it they say...

I don't want this thread getting clogged up

My statement u quoted is me trying to describe exactly what is done in mycelium running. It cause no problems.

If anyone who understands that this doesn't cause problems wants to input go ahead. I don't wanna keep trying to persuade ur opinion and prove ur skepticism wrong. We'd be having a real convo if u understood this is being done already...

Dragon fly earth medicine made the reishi claim in a long chain of comments in the link which I will post the url to. I'm not so sure of this. There is no way for me to be sure. But u bet ur ass I'm starting my cannabis experiments w my reishi culture. Lol. I'll break out my other 15 cultures on agar from refrigeration after the reishi...

I'll be doing tests w agarikon, lions mane, coryceps, bears tooth, maitake, serra oysters, all of which I have on agar and grow and make supplements out of.

If bugs get onto the plants there is always a simple solution... no bigy..

Edited by Nevar44 (01/29/16 02:07 PM)

InvisibleNevar44
Stranger

#804759 - 01/29/16 02:12 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------
Reishi For Cannabis??

Trade List

Offlinelingzhi
Stranger
    #804760 - 01/29/16 02:17 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

so your looking for opinions, but only ones that are the same as your own. that is not a discussion. i no longer see the point of this thread. you seem like you have it all figured out.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale