Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKush_Zombie
Stranger

Re: Lind k5 xl1000 vs DS XTE 400 from Advanced Led Lights. [Re: Mr. Alien]
    #803772 - 01/21/16 01:11 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Mr. Alien said:
Quote:

Can you explain?

And you run the bottom humidifier for FAE and the top humidifier for humidity? At the same time?

I was planning on just doing open container with a horse poo substrate. Leaving the lid closed while it colonized and just opening it when they were ready to fruit. That is how you do it right?

You don't need a martha. In fact, don't do that. To complicated and won't outperform a monotub. If you want to grow cubensis just make a monotub or do Open Air fruiting. Marthas are more for exotic and edible species like Shiitake.

Monotub: You mix your spawn (colonized grain) with your pasteurized horse manure bulk substrate. A common bulk substrate is 20% vermiculite, 5% Gypsum and 75% horse manure. Then you mix your Spawn with your pastuerized horse manure in a container, close the lid of the container until it reaches to full colonization. The container, in this case is a monotub, the holes of the monotub are taped while it is colonizing. Once it reaches full colonization, you Untape the holes and stuff polyfill and just let it fruit.

Open air Fruiting: Mix your spawn with your pasteurized bulk substrate in an aluminium tray or whatever, cover with foil while it colonizes, poke some holes for Gas Exchange. Once it reaches to full colonization, take the foil out and apply a Casing layer. Open air fruiting is posibble because the casing layer, without the casing layer is not reliable. You just have to take care that the casing layer won't dry and mist it regularly. There's no need for a fruiting chamber, everyone is like... FRUITING CHAMBERS MUST HAVE 99% air humidity. That's not true, the humidity that matters is the surface humidity where the casing layer is. The surface is where the mushrooms pop out, you don't need environmental humidity really, just surface humidity and FAE. And well Open air have infinite FAE lol. 

These were fruited in open air. Is the third flush. So as long as the casing layer is nice and wet you will have 99.99999999999999% humidity at the surface level where it matters.

A monotub don't need a casing layer but because inside the monotub there is 99% of humidity so the surface won't dry as fast like in open air. For open air Casings are necessary.

Nice, thanks. So do you need to mist a monotub or anything? I'm assuming you have to fan it?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKush_Zombie
Stranger

Re: Lind k5 xl1000 vs DS XTE 400 from Advanced Led Lights. [Re: Kush_Zombie]
    #803773 - 01/21/16 01:13 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Wish mah poo would dry :smirk:

OfflineMr. Alien
Stranger

#803774 - 01/21/16 01:21 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

You can mist the monotub but monotubs suppose to be set and forget. You replenish the moisture loss after the second or third flush. If your monotub was dialed in correctly you don't have to mist at all until several flushes. If you have to replenish moisture before the second flush is because maybe you didn't water your bulk substrate properly pre-pasteurization or you let too much FAE get into the monotub. Or something of that sort.

OfflineMr. Alien
Stranger

#803798 - 01/21/16 05:48 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

So, I spoke with the supercloset.com guy and he told the same, that I would need a 8" inlet fan for the room and an air conditioner and the tent inside.

But that inlet fan I don't think it has to be 24 hrs on. And I have another room, same size, same just a door no windows, but I have an Air conditioner pointing directly to that room if the door is open.  And that room is in my bedroom, if someone is coming like my nephews or etc, I just close it and the plants will have a little of stale air for a while, but that's ok right? If i grow in that room I literally will just have to leave the door open. MY bedroom along with the room is like 80 square feet. MY Bed room have big windows, i think there will be a lot of fresh air exchange happening there. And the air conditioner is pointing directly to that room.

This is the other room

Air conditioner pointing right in front

Second room

And I'm just thinking in just buying one of these grow cabinets http://supercloset.com/product/grow-boxes/superflower-led-grow-cabinet/ and put it in my bedroom, they don't look like if I'm growing plants like a growing tent looks. I can't put it my bedroom, If the temperature is fine for me is fine for the plants too. Big windows in my bedroom, i can just open them 1 a day and turn on fans.

I really just need weed for my consumption.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #803813 - 01/21/16 07:30 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

The LED "heat" myth...

Its not just "More heat" from an HPS, its radiant infra-red heat being projected on every surface of your plants, walls and equipment. The plant then needs to be in a much cooler environment(temps in the 70's) so that the plant tissue can sit at an optimal temperature (like at the equator, temps in the 80's). The temperature differential drives the plants to cool off. The "light/heat" has to hit your equipment and plants before the energy it projected can be dissipated and exhausted. Some people use more energy to

With LED you just suck off the excess heat off the top, cutting out a lot of useless energy transfer on the plant surface. They're more gentler on the plants that way, and I believe that is why people are seeing a 1-3% increase in THC and a more developed terpene profile.

For a 4x4 area I'd recommend the XML650... 650watts equivalent to a 1000wHPS.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #803814 - 01/21/16 07:38 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Kush_Zombie said:
But yeah, a portable A/C will probably be necessary with or without the MH and HPS lights if it stays at about 85 - 90 in your house. You want them around 78 if you can.

Not with LED, you want your LED garden more like the equator in the mid 80's. I bought a portable air conditioner for my house fir when it got over 100 for a few days every few weeks in the summer. The problem was that my house was so hot that I used my A/C for my benefit and let the plants deal with the elements. The plants do so well under LED that they would get up to 104 some days with no problems. A few people I knew couldn't grow in the summer time because they didn't have a good enough air conditioner or ventilation.

HPS would cost a lot more to the HPS growers if they factored in all the excess cooling they need to run the damn thing. They seem to neglect the fact that their 1000w is more like 2000w when you consider the A/C.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #803819 - 01/21/16 08:22 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Kush_Zombie said:
You don't need circulation. You need ventilation.

WOAH WOAH WOAH... BULLSHIT!!!!!!

Air circulation around the plants is critical.

The plants suck up all the available CO2 within a few seconds, if you don't keep the air moving around the leaf zone they sit in stale air and stop growing within 30 seconds or so.

You create a "No Fly Zone" that makes it hard for small insects to fly through, which cuts feeding and breeding cycles.

You reduce the amount of powder mildew by keeping the air in the damp corners of the plant ventilated and exchanged.

Air circulation is key to plant happiness.  Keep fans under the plants so that there is airflow under the canopy as well, not just on the tops.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #803820 - 01/21/16 08:44 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

seriously, 5 pages of replies.... this post is a lot of work..

For ventilation the best way I found was this:

My 4x4 next to the veg tent had an 8" booster between it and the 4x8 flower tent, constantly flowing to keep new air in both tents. both tents were in a 12x12 room that had attic access in the closet.

The 8" exhaust fan was set to blow out the bedroom window because the HUMIDITY kills the entire house when blown inside. I taped the window off with plastic to only blow OUT the window. Inside that exhaust fan, just after it I had a small ozone generator that would kick on when the fan did--which was controlled by a temp/humidity controller.

In the summer time I would open the bedroom door and passively suck air through my house into the bedroom, which routed through the grow tents and out the door. I couldn't use the A/C those days in the house, but it was the best option. The ozone generator was key for smell, as the carbon won't cut it and they go bad with no indication as to when. A cop let me know he could smell my plants around the apartment complex when using just carbon. I solved it with ozone.

In the winter I would close my bedroom off and seal the bottom with a towel. Then I would prop open the attic door to suck through the attic so I didn't have to waste my house's heat. If I tried to use the attic in the summer the air coming would be WAY too hot even at night after a few hours of sucking air through it.

It took me awhile to figure out that ideal ventilation strategy, but I think its the best to have a continuous flow of fresh air while exhausting the "used" air. Exhaust your garden's air outside or deal with the humidity and occasional sweating walls throughout the house. My toilet constantly had a huge puddle of water around it because the cold tank would condense the water out of the air. Its really hard to sleep in the tropics sometimes too, I woke up sweating like in a sauna a few times. 

Get an ozone generator and long enough vent so that the ozone dissipates before it exits the vent and you'll have no problems.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Lind k5 xl1000 vs DS XTE 400 from Advanced Led Lights. [Re: phychotron]
    #803823 - 01/21/16 08:51 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

One thing I was going to mention is that the Kind LED's look exactly like the GrowBlu and I think there might be one or two more of those replicas out there. Growblu worked well for me, but it had 14 of 16 modules break a diode within the first year. I had just replaced the modules under warranty last summer before selling it. The GrowBlu website is down and looks like they're out of the game. The reason most likely being that he could not keep up with warranty costs. If the rest of his fixtures were like mine they would have all had at least a few diodes pop within a year or two.

You can't just go cheap and get a generic production line LED if you want the best results. That's the feeling I get with Kind, that they're just pumping them out with the latest generic technology and they're getting better than they were, but not up to the standards you'd expect when spending that much cash on one.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #803824 - 01/21/16 09:00 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Mr. Alien said:
Holes in the ceiling are not a option either lol.

No actually it is. Cut an appropriate sized round hole, save that round piece. When its time to put it back you take a strip of wood longer than the hole, put that in the attic and screw the round piece to the wood to set it back up there in place. Then get some plaster and go around it. Viola, hole's fixed. It'll be easier to hide if you have the 'flocked' ceiling with all that crap hanging down. That way you can re-create that look with plaster. 

If you have an apartment inspection just keep a bunch of shit piled up in that area to cover any evidence.

--------------------

OfflineKush_Zombie
Stranger

#803841 - 01/22/16 07:30 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

phychotron said:
Quote:

Kush_Zombie said:

The plants suck up all the available CO2 within a few seconds, if you don't keep the air moving around the leaf zone they sit in stale air and stop growing within 30 seconds or so.

You create a "No Fly Zone" that makes it hard for small insects to fly through, which cuts feeding and breeding cycles.

You reduce the amount of powder mildew by keeping the air in the damp corners of the plant ventilated and exchanged.

Air circulation is key to plant happiness.  Keep fans under the plants so that there is airflow under the canopy as well, not just on the tops.

Ventilation is circulation imo
But thanks for clarifying all of that even tho I already said I really had no experience, just bouncing ideas off.....even tho I didn't read half of what you typed :thumbup:

InvisibleScribbler
because i scribble

#803843 - 01/22/16 08:19 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Kush_Zombie said:
Quote:

phychotron said:
Quote:

Kush_Zombie said:

Ventilation is circulation imo
But thanks for clarifying all of that even tho I already said I really had no experience, just bouncing ideas off.....even tho I didn't read half of what you typed :thumbup:

Maybe you should read what he typed since you yourself said you have no experience. :shrug:

OfflineKush_Zombie
Stranger

Re: Lind k5 xl1000 vs DS XTE 400 from Advanced Led Lights. [Re: Scribbler]
    #803853 - 01/22/16 09:23 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

I'm reading plenty on the subject, trust me. I'm not just sitting around thinking I have it all figured out. This (and mushroom cultivation) is a very interesting topic that I enjoyed reading about before I ever even thought I would ever grow either one.

I read what he said about the lights...and it's really, in my opinion, just what you want to look at. Yeah, that makes sense to an extent..but I just don't agree with everything. First off, there are plenty of HPS lights that give off a blue spectrum as well, such as the one I linked earlier in the post..
http://www.eyehortilux.com/products/high-pressure-sodium#shps
As far as him telling me an air conditioner isn't needed, thank you SO much for telling me that. It was so helpful :smirk:
I'd still have an A/C available.
They get a 1-3% increase in THC? WHOA there buddy, that's INSANE!  :ilold:
link pls?
And that's about where I stopped reading
:tldr:

Edited by Kush_Zombie (01/22/16 09:30 AM)

OfflineKush_Zombie
Stranger

#803854 - 01/22/16 09:28 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

The argument for LED vs HID goes on plenty. I'm not interested in arguing on which is better, I was just giving my opinion that I wouldn't mess with LED's personally. It looks to me like he's just going through this post looking at everything I posted and throwing whatever information he can spew up to say absolutely everything I had to say was wrong.
So don't care.

InvisibleScribbler
because i scribble

#803856 - 01/22/16 09:29 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

lol for how much I grow I don't care about the fancy lights and shit. My temps are under control so give me an HPS and call it a day.

OfflineMr. Alien
Stranger

#803858 - 01/22/16 09:51 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

I have a ozone generator of 7000 ozone units. Which is a lot. Can anyone tell me if this is viable?
Quote:

Mr. Alien said:

And I'm just thinking in just buying one of these grow cabinets http://supercloset.com/product/grow-boxes/superflower-led-grow-cabinet/ and put it in my bedroom, they don't look like if I'm growing plants like a growing tent looks. I can't put it my bedroom, If the temperature is fine for me is fine for the plants too. Big windows in my bedroom, i can just open them 1 a day and turn on fans.

I really just need weed for my consumption.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #803867 - 01/22/16 01:00 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Kush_Zombie said:

First off, there are plenty of HPS lights that give off a blue spectrum as well, such as the one I linked earlier in the post..

They get a 1-3% increase in THC? WHOA there buddy, that's INSANE!  :ilold:
link pls?
And that's about where I stopped reading
:tldr:

This is a THERMAL image of two closed tents, nothing about having more blue light in the LED.

Here's a video of the lab results from a side by side. Others have noted it in the past and this guy put a video together, you can follow the entire grow log if you want.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #803871 - 01/22/16 01:19 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineMr. Alien
Stranger

#803882 - 01/22/16 06:02 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

SO i was told that air exchange is not that important like in mushrooms growing, that i can open the door once in a while to exchange the air of the room. Not that big deal, i don't need a inlet fan if i manually air exchange the room air everyday.

Edited by Mr. Alien (01/22/16 07:48 PM)

OfflineKush_Zombie
Stranger

#803934 - 01/23/16 08:16 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Tell that to the mold that'll be on your plants

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags