Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
Re: Kepler's mystery star...KIC 8462852 [Re: Thebooedocksaint]
    #797178 - 10/20/15 02:38 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Thebooedocksaint said:
My last line was just being silly.

I want to get into cosmology/astrophysics but they have a lot of pre-reqs that are far beyond my physics minor (General Relativity/E. Fields/Mechanics). Wish it didn't have so many pre-reqs out here, but I'm sure it's for the best if it really requires all that.

Maybe it was the nephilim :lol:?

I hear ya, I've been trying to figure out how to afford an Astronautical Engineering Masters/Doctorate program in the next 3 to 5 years. I would eventually like to get involved with the commercial space ventures, as I feel its something that I could really pour in the required time and effort that it takes to get where I'd like to go for that type of subject matter. :shrug:

Too bad it costs infinimonies :dumblol:

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild & Free
Re: Kepler's mystery star...KIC 8462852 [Re: Data]
    #797209 - 10/20/15 06:28 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Yea, I'm trying to figure my plan out still. For my grants that have helped with my tuition I have to teach 4 years at a high needs school (basically every school district here) in my state. I'm enrolled in my schools Special Relativity/Quantum mechanics physics course. I kind of want to switch disciplines into the geosciences personally. I feel like it's going to have a surge in demand as mars shenanigans ensue (if they do). But I'm taking a Geochemistry course in the spring, so I'll see if I enjoy it.

--------------------
"Je pense, donc je suis (I am thinking, therefore I am)." -Rene Descartes

Invisibledrawde
    #797210 - 10/20/15 06:38 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Here's my hypothesis: A black hole. One that is far away from the star enough not to have too large a gravitational force on it, but situated in just the right spot, and somehow moving, in a way that makes us think that this object appears to be in the same solar system.

:justdontknow:

--------------------
King Koopa said:
The amount of pot that Gask smokes is equivalent to a guy shooting heroin on weekends

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: Kepler's mystery star...KIC 8462852 [Re: drawde]
    #797273 - 10/21/15 04:44 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Interesting hypothesis.

I know that most galaxies are thought to contain supermassive black holes at their centers, and that galaxies are continuously merging with one another. If the two black holes from two merging galaxies merge, then the resulting gravitational kick can be strong enough to expel the newly merged black hole from the host galaxy. This would allow the black hole to consume the accretion disc around it and run out of matter to feed on...rendering it and its surroundings fairly dark.

The same thing can happen with two extremely massive stars in a binary system (especially contact binaries), where both stars go supernova and the resulting binary black holes spiral into and merge with one another. The gravitational kick from the merger would cause the merged black hole to gain significant speed.

If two of these rogue black holes were to pass by one another and become ensnared in each other's gravity with extremely high relative velocity, then the resulting orbits would be large and/or highly elliptical. As long as neither black hole has an appreciable accretion disc to generate light/radiation, then this system could (in the right location) do exactly what you claim might be going on with KIC 8462852.

I'd be interested in seeing the star system's image in all electromagnetic bands during the drop in light output. If it were a black hole in a different system, then gravitational lensing would be a tell-tale sign. Hopefully the lensing effect would be large enough to show up in a visible light image, otherwise there would be no real way to tell unless the black hole manages to pick up some mass from a nearby star or nebula that would emit some light as it falls beyond the event horizon. :shrug:

--------------------

Invisibledrawde
    #797274 - 10/21/15 05:30 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

:shitsintense:

On a scale of one to even, I just can't.
You know, as far as the universe goes.

--------------------
King Koopa said:
The amount of pot that Gask smokes is equivalent to a guy shooting heroin on weekends

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

#797277 - 10/21/15 06:14 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

I hear ya man, the universe routinely breaks my brain...its overwhelming to ponder the scale of it, and the possibilities that are so far beyond our reach.

It goes well with this forum...perfect pondering material for a good strong sativa :bobmarley:

--------------------

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild & Free
    #797298 - 10/22/15 07:51 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

agmotes165 said:
I hear ya man, the universe routinely breaks my brain...its overwhelming to ponder the scale of it, and the possibilities that are so far beyond our reach.

It goes well with this forum...perfect pondering material for a good strong sativa :bobmarley:

Well aren't we just trying to understand ourselves?

Could a black hole even move with that kind of rotational velocity? Please excuse my confusion, because I know gravity/acceleration changes relativity. But I have only cover special relativity, and I feel like that would require ftl velocities.

I suppose that depends on the orbital radius and the real period.

--------------------
"Je pense, donc je suis (I am thinking, therefore I am)." -Rene Descartes

Invisiblenannybooboo
 User Gallery
Re: Kepler's mystery star...KIC 8462852 [Re: Thebooedocksaint] * 1
    #797369 - 10/23/15 09:26 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

That's my nutsack blocking the star.

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: Kepler's mystery star...KIC 8462852 [Re: Thebooedocksaint]
    #797459 - 10/25/15 02:33 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Thebooedocksaint said:
Quote:

agmotes165 said:

Well aren't we just trying to understand ourselves?

Could a black hole even move with that kind of rotational velocity? Please excuse my confusion, because I know gravity/acceleration changes relativity. But I have only cover special relativity, and I feel like that would require ftl velocities.

I suppose that depends on the orbital radius and the real period.

Im not sure what you're referring to with respect to rotational velocity, but theoretically, the merging of two black holes of differing masses inserts a large amount of linear momentum on the newly merged black hole, and under certain mass ratios, this "kick" can accelerate the new black hole by as much as 4000 km/s. This increase in velocity can actually result in a supermassive black hole achieving escape velocity out of the host galaxy, thereby becoming a rogue black hole.

It has to do with the theoretical gravity wave radiation that is thought to be produce by two insanely dense bodies in a binary system. The smaller of the two bodies will orbit further out from the center of gravity, but will have the same orbital period in order to stay balanced around the center of gravity. This will result in the smaller body having a faster tangential velocity relative to the larger body. The faster moving body, at any instant in time, will cause a much steeper gravitational wavefront to form ahead of it when compared to the slower moving, more massive body...and thus the slower body will more effectively "beam" away linear momentum tangential to the body's orbit at any given instant. This asymmetric radiation of linear momentum is what sets up the local spacetime around the binary system, such that at the instant two bodies merge and become one body, the asymmetry corrects itself by dumping momentum into the only massive body in the local area, which is the newly formed body in the center.

But beyond this....yes, two rogue black holes with such large relative velocities and masses could become ensnared in one another's gravity, and orbit each other with a rather large orbital radius and a high tangential velocity. A system like this (assuming there is either a very thin or no accretion disc around each black hole) could fully eclipse a star behind it, yet lense enough photons around the outside of the event horizon to account for the 15-22% of light that still makes it through to kepler's photodetectors. Or at least, it's my (and drawde's) personal opinion that this could happen. :shrug:

A little extra observation could easily confirm or deny this scenario though...and I'm eager to see what turns up when we point a few extra telescopes of various designs in that direction. It could really be anything at this point :highfive:

--------------------

Invisibledrawde
    #797460 - 10/25/15 02:46 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Most boring possible explanation, and most extraordinary explanation... go!

--------------------
King Koopa said:

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

#797995 - 11/04/15 08:01 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

The most boring explanation (IMHO) is that it was an un-analyzed error in the observation data. Second place would be the "cloud of comets" explanation.

The most extraordinary explanation can really be left up to the imagination. Could be a dyson sphere, built by a civilization that is just now learning to harness the power of their home star. Could be one of millions or billions of dyson spheres, all connected by power transfer systems, built by a hyper advanced civilization that has harnessed a good percentage of the Milky Way's power output. It could be that the "star" is not a star at all...but something built by a civilization that we couldn't even begin to guess its purpose or its inner workings.

I'm sure there are tons of sci-fi books that could give you some ideas about the range of possibilities that could be the most extraordinary explanation. :shrug:

--------------------

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
    #798012 - 11/05/15 06:22 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Probably just a glitch in the programming of our night sky :wink:

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

Invisiblethoughts
Stranger

Re: Kepler's mystery star...KIC 8462852 [Re: RasJeph]
    #798023 - 11/05/15 08:27 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

It's hitler.

--------------------

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: Kepler's mystery star...KIC 8462852 [Re: thoughts]
    #798033 - 11/05/15 10:27 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

The Kung Fuhrer!

--------------------

Invisiblethoughts
Stranger

#798036 - 11/05/15 11:50 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Lol that movie is hilarious.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom