Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecheezymold
That Guy

Re: 2nd Grow - Mega Jackpot under AdvancedLED XML 650 using DWC [Re: efarley]
    #792742 - 09/06/15 11:29 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

They could be heavier with the new light and not exactly fatter.  I'm sure you are going to have a higher quality bud.  Does each plant have the same amount of main colas?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineefarley
LED Grower
Loc: Oregon Flag
Re: 2nd Grow - Mega Jackpot under AdvancedLED XML 650 using DWC [Re: cheezymold]
    #792743 - 09/06/15 11:48 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

cheezymold said:
They could be heavier with the new light and not exactly fatter.  I'm sure you are going to have a higher quality bud.  Does each plant have the same amount of main colas?

Yes definitely going for quality over quantity.

Some plants have more tops than others and all of these have more tops than the last plant I grew, I didn't consider that. More tops means smaller tops, duh. I know when I switch to SCROG I'll have smaller buds but I didn't think the pruning I did here would trigger the same effect.

Regardless of how much yield I get it'll be some bomb buds and that's really what matters :smile:

Offlinecheezymold
That Guy

#792744 - 09/07/15 12:43 AM (8 years, 6 months ago)

That's what learning is all about.  This run is doing so much better than my first two.  I just look at mistakes as learning opportunities.  Mine is on the same week as yours and mine is nowhere near done yet.  Still mostly white pistils but the buds are as thick as a cola can.  I need to figure out a better way to support them though because they are super floppy. Looks like you are going to have some killer smoke

Offlineefarley
LED Grower
Re: 2nd Grow - Mega Jackpot under AdvancedLED XML 650 using DWC [Re: cheezymold]
    #792748 - 09/07/15 01:19 AM (8 years, 6 months ago)

quote]cheezymold said:
That's what learning is all about.  This run is doing so much better than my first two.  I just look at mistakes as learning opportunities.  Mine is on the same week as yours and mine is nowhere near done yet.  Still mostly white pistils but the buds are as thick as a cola can.  I need to figure out a better way to support them though because they are super floppy. Looks like you are going to have some killer smoke

Couldn't agree more about learning. This grow has been so much better than my last grow thanks to the mistakes I made then. Sure I made some new mistakes this time, but they will benefit my next grow, and so on.

Man I was really expecting to get buds the size of cola cans from this grow after getting buds the size of red bull cans from the last... Now it's looking like I'll have buds the size of a roll of quarters :frown: it's a bummer for sure since ideally I want quality AND quantity. Here's hoping they put on more weight or their total yield is better than I think.

Edited by efarley (09/07/15 01:22 AM)

Offlinecheezymold
That Guy

#792749 - 09/07/15 01:26 AM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Might be a good thing to have smaller, but more numerous colas.  I'm worried mine might mold in my tropical climate.  I have to use an A/C to grow.  I still wouldn't count them out yet though.  Could just be more dense.  You will find out soon enough.

Offlineefarley
LED Grower
    #792784 - 09/07/15 11:15 AM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

cheezymold said:
Might be a good thing to have smaller, but more numerous colas.  I'm worried mine might mold in my tropical climate.  I have to use an A/C to grow.  I still wouldn't count them out yet though.  Could just be more dense.  You will find out soon enough.

Yeah I'm definitely not counting it out by any means. I almost threw out my last plant because I thought it wasn't going to be worth the harvest, then 4 weeks later it looked awesome and I couldn't have been happier. I think my main thing that disappoints me is I expected the same thing to happen here, but they clearly don't have another 4 weeks. Heck I probably don't even have the week and a half to two weeks I'm hoping to stretch this grow out. I hadn't even started using Overdrive yet because I figured they had 3-5 weeks left... I started it last night but considering I want at least 4 days of flush that doesn't leave much room for the plants to drink up on OD and really finish how I planned. Oh well, they sure look bomb.

I also use A/C, I'm hoping going into winter and updating my grow room I won't need it anymore, but we'll see. I'd like to free up the power.

Edited by efarley (09/07/15 11:18 AM)

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #792832 - 09/07/15 07:59 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

I just got done with my first XML 650 run, it was a really good experience but I wasn't in my house much and had my friend watching my plants for about a month and a half and wasn't able to get any photo's up... but its a sweet light.

Your ventilation should vent outside and draw fresh from the room its in. Somewhat for heat, but mostly for humidity.  I kept my exhaust fan on a temp/humidity control that would turn it on if either was too high. Then fuck the carbon filter, Ozone generator right after the fan that also turns on when the fan is on.

Those long ass hangers are a joke, I had to get some heavy duty chain and hangers to swap them out with.

Make sure you have good air circulation in the tent, get a tower fan or two moving the air back and forth in the canopy.

I like Scrog style with the LED lights and getting them a bit closer than they say.

Bud size depends on how well you trimmed it up with scrogg. You might have too much under brush on those plants sucking the flower power out of it, you need to get the proper amount of branching and canopy density to get the fat nugs. If you leave a plant untrimmed it will usually have a bunch of thin lanky leafy growth down at the bottom, trying to flower and use the plants resources.

Also plant genetics, clones are not as fat as seedlings (but can still produce as much per sq-ft). Nutrients and getting the light just right. I keep mine like 10-16" even with the bright ass XML 650.

Check the links in my sig for my setup.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 2nd Grow - Mega Jackpot under AdvancedLED XML 650 using DWC [Re: phychotron]
    #792833 - 09/07/15 08:11 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

I'd give those another three weeks at least. I go by how the foxtailing is. Either before or after it does a lot of it. If you do it before you nugs are nice and uniform and can trim smooth. If you let it foxtail, let it go until it fills in. Not all strains do, but you need to see how your genetics respond to it. Never in between foxtailing, as they are thin leafy and stemmy protrusions until they fill in. Afterward they are nice and rocked up and have those round 'buds' all over the nugget. That's what I consider "Bud".. When it foxtails and fills in little flower buds.

Like here, you can see the white parts that are all budded.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Offlineefarley
LED Grower
Re: 2nd Grow - Mega Jackpot under AdvancedLED XML 650 using DWC [Re: phychotron]
    #792835 - 09/07/15 09:00 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

phychotron said:
I'd give those another three weeks at least. I go by how the foxtailing is. Either before or after it does a lot of it. If you do it before you nugs are nice and uniform and can trim smooth. If you let it foxtail, let it go until it fills in. Not all strains do, but you need to see how your genetics respond to it. Never in between foxtailing, as they are thin leafy and stemmy protrusions until they fill in. Afterward they are nice and rocked up and have those round 'buds' all over the nugget. That's what I consider "Bud".. When it foxtails and fills in little flower buds.

Like here, you can see the white parts that are all budded.

I'd like to just all around avoid foxtails.. In this case I'm saying it's almost done because the trichomes are turning amber not because of the foxtails.

Offlineefarley
LED Grower
    #792847 - 09/07/15 09:55 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

I just gave a couple buds a squeeze and man are these things dense. They literally have no give in them it's like squeezing a rubber bouncy ball. Far denser than my previous buds were.

Quote:

phychotron said:
I just got done with my first XML 650 run, it was a really good experience but I wasn't in my house much and had my friend watching my plants for about a month and a half and wasn't able to get any photo's up... but its a sweet light.

Your ventilation should vent outside and draw fresh from the room its in. Somewhat for heat, but mostly for humidity.  I kept my exhaust fan on a temp/humidity control that would turn it on if either was too high. Then fuck the carbon filter, Ozone generator right after the fan that also turns on when the fan is on.

Those long ass hangers are a joke, I had to get some heavy duty chain and hangers to swap them out with.

Make sure you have good air circulation in the tent, get a tower fan or two moving the air back and forth in the canopy.

I like Scrog style with the LED lights and getting them a bit closer than they say.

Bud size depends on how well you trimmed it up with scrogg. You might have too much under brush on those plants sucking the flower power out of it, you need to get the proper amount of branching and canopy density to get the fat nugs. If you leave a plant untrimmed it will usually have a bunch of thin lanky leafy growth down at the bottom, trying to flower and use the plants resources.

Also plant genetics, clones are not as fat as seedlings (but can still produce as much per sq-ft). Nutrients and getting the light just right. I keep mine like 10-16" even with the bright ass XML 650.

Check the links in my sig for my setup.

I didn't do a scrog this time, I did lolly pop the plants, but I don't think I did enough pruning of the lower stuff. I thought I was doing too much as it was, but now I think I should have done more. When I switch to scrog I don't plan to leave anything below the screen.

Offlineefarley
LED Grower
    #793379 - 09/12/15 11:47 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Week 8 update (Light switched to 12/12 on 7/18/2015)

Well this was a disappointing week, there was really no change at all. The buds all look pretty much the same as last week, with the exception of the one plant that had been putting on weight. Considering how the trichomes look and a trip I have coming up I've decided the harvest is going to happen on the 22nd and wrap up on the 23rd.

The tent is a jungle, this light has clearly over grown the plants for their space which must be the cause of these tiny buds. I'm going to get a lot of great hash though!

You can really see the damage from the nute shortage here.

Here's my monster bud, still looking awesome!

Tonight is where the weeks update gets interesting. After taking the above pictures and thinking I decided all these small buds were just pulling away from the tops I want big so I might as well cut them off, I figure better late than never. I only have a week and a half left and 4 days of that will be a flush so I'm not expecting much of a difference but maybe It'll get a little more weight on the buds. I'm a bit worried it will just stunt the plant in it's final week, but it wasn't putting on any weight anyways.

Before

After

There is way more light hitting the floor and much less of a jungle in the room. I wish I had of done this 4 weeks ago, another lesson learned.

Here's the trim bucket afterwards, I took a ton of tiny popcorn buds off the plant. I was surprised how much I ended up with, definitely should have done this a long time ago. This should make some pretty nice hash and butter

I didn't expect to get so much scissor and finger hash off this little crap so low on the plant, but wow!

I've been thinking of maybe doing some video updates, so here's a little one :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufM30x0htaM

Offlinecheezymold
That Guy

#793384 - 09/13/15 01:44 AM (8 years, 6 months ago)

They still look like nice buds to me.  Is the leaf problem from a shortage?  They look like when I burned mine from too much nutes. 

One thing you might wanna do is lollypop up to the second week of flower and leave them be.  Stressing the plant out late like that will cause it to throw out nanners.  I'm not the most experienced, but I think it will be focusing on recovering more than trich production now that it's been cut like that.  Might ask one of the veteran growers about that though. 

I was reading an interesting topic on another forum about a training technique that will eliminate most of the popcorn buds.  Try looking up "mainlining" by a guy called nugbuckets.  He has some really impressive looking grows that have all even colas without the need of a screen.  It will add some time to the veg time though.  I'm going to give it a shot with my next batch of seeds.

Offlineefarley
LED Grower
    #793401 - 09/13/15 10:23 AM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

cheezymold said:
They still look like nice buds to me.  Is the leaf problem from a shortage?  They look like when I burned mine from too much nutes. 

One thing you might wanna do is lollypop up to the second week of flower and leave them be.  Stressing the plant out late like that will cause it to throw out nanners.  I'm not the most experienced, but I think it will be focusing on recovering more than trich production now that it's been cut like that.  Might ask one of the veteran growers about that though. 

I was reading an interesting topic on another forum about a training technique that will eliminate most of the popcorn buds.  Try looking up "mainlining" by a guy called nugbuckets.  He has some really impressive looking grows that have all even colas without the need of a screen.  It will add some time to the veg time though.  I'm going to give it a shot with my next batch of seeds.

Yeah I'm sure the leaf problem is from a shortage, the initial damage occurred when I had the PPM very low and the damage that was done continued to get worse which didn't surprise me since I've heard leaves don't recover. Leaves that weren't damaged still look good.

I'm a bit worried it will stress the plant also but hey, it wasn't doing anything at this point anyways other than producing sugar leaves. I don't really like hash or cooking with pot so I figure I have nothing to lose since I wasn't going to get the yield I wanted and it was just producing sugar leaves not buds.

I'm going to do a scrog next time. The problem I had here was the plants trippled in size during the first two weeks of flower which destroyed the lollypop I did during veg. I didn't want to trim during flower so I just left it alone and ended up with a overgrown jungle.

Update:

You know I didn't know what a nanner was before this post, so I googled it. Turns out I've had one of those on a bud since the nute shortage now and had no idea what it was. I was curious about it, but didn't think it was anything. Hmmm now I'm worried I'll have seeds in this grow, that would explain the lack of bud size. The amount of trichomes I see though makes me think it wasn't pollinated, but what do I know, I'm a noob; I'll find out soon.

Edited by efarley (09/13/15 11:14 AM)

Offlineefarley
LED Grower
    #793428 - 09/13/15 09:12 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Here's a couple pictures of the nanners I have. The first photo is the nanner I had noticed a few weeks back (not realizing what it was). The second photo is the only other nanner I could find looking through the tent tonight, which is good I suppose. However this one looks like it already opened :frown: Sad day, hopefully I'm harvesting before the plant has time to make many seeds, this plant has the smallest buds though, so I suspect that's a hint...

I'm going to attempt to cut them off in case they haven't released their pollen yet.

Edited by efarley (09/13/15 09:14 PM)

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #793429 - 09/13/15 09:16 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

I'd recommend getting a plant that is less dense. That's a fully thick indica with lots of bushy growth that is tough to get tall because light naturally doesn't penetrate. Try keeping it shorter next time-- it also has a longer way to pump nutrients all the way to the top. The plant uses water as a carrier for nutrients, pulling them from the root zone to the top. It leaves the nutrient and expels the excess water through the leaf.

Make sure there's tons of fresh air in those dense canopies. A plant is mostly carbon--it gets that from the air as carbon dioxide and exhales oxygen. It wont grow if its suffocating. Also gotta watch powder mildew in those dense situations.

One of the reason's I liked Grapegod is that it was nice and open. 

--------------------

Offlineefarley
LED Grower
    #793435 - 09/13/15 10:17 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, these plants got way more dense than I expected. Two plants could have easily filled this space.

I'm thinking I'm going to be growing either Wappa, Chemo or both Wappa and Chemo for my next grow, but I'm not 100% decided yet. Definitely not going to keep this stain other than as seed in my collection, who knows maybe someday I'll want to revisit this strain.

Offlinegreenthumbd
Stranger
    #793524 - 09/15/15 12:35 AM (8 years, 6 months ago)

:thumbup:

Offlineefarley
LED Grower
Re: 2nd Grow - Mega Jackpot under AdvancedLED XML 650 using DWC [Re: greenthumbd]
    #793564 - 09/15/15 01:04 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

greenthumbd said:
:thumbup:

Thanks!

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 2nd Grow - Mega Jackpot under AdvancedLED XML 650 using DWC [Re: efarley] * 1
    #793565 - 09/15/15 01:10 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

I recommend only one strain at a time for easy canopy management. Its hard when your plants are 2' taller than others next to it

--------------------

Offlineefarley
LED Grower
    #793576 - 09/15/15 03:05 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

phychotron said:
I recommend only one strain at a time for easy canopy management. Its hard when your plants are 2' taller than others next to it

Thanks, I'm doing scrog next time so that will even the canopy at the height of the screen. Besides this grow was a single strain and the canopy ranges 6 inches from the tallest plant to the shortest.

Edited by efarley (09/15/15 03:06 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds