Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offline13buds
Trichome Farmer
 User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Re: Timer questions on first hydro grow [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #759685 - 11/28/14 09:50 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

my aero cloner runs 1 min on and 5 off

my dwc is 24/7

I dont have my ebb/flo system set up yet but reservoir size and the amount of plants being run matters on how long it takes to fill and drain. 

:bongload:

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:1:growingweed:3:growingweed:B:farmerdance:U:growingweed:D:growingweed:S:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Timer questions on first hydro grow [Re: budgrowerwannabe]
    #759687 - 11/28/14 09:53 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Well if you have everything, then you already have decided on what you are going.  I personally prefer DWC.  That's just me though.  A bucket with air pumps and water, super simple.  Now you can make it a bit more complicated, which I recommend.

Aero can vary widely from my understanding.  When I ran it, I would run the sprayers for about 5 minutes on, 5 minutes off.

I haven't ran ebb and flow.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

Re: Timer questions on first hydro grow [Re: 13buds]
    #759688 - 11/28/14 09:57 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I just built my own areocloner! Ill get a pic up when i get some girls in it.

I wanted to do like flood the table then let it go down . Then flood the talde again and so on. Using the same res. Right. How often should it run?

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

#759689 - 11/28/14 10:03 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

DWC Is really what I think ill do.Thats what i dont have is a good air pump.I have alcheapos for the fair fish but shit  I need a high powered one /or 5 lol

I do have the pumps for the table .I would have to get a timer.:beatingtodeath:

I have like 6 already.

Sorry for jacking yo thread.:tongue2:

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #759690 - 11/28/14 10:04 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

You''ll most likely be safe running it every two hours.
As for how long you want it to run for, figure that on how long it takes to fully flood.

--------------------
:getstoned:

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

Re: Timer questions on first hydro grow [Re: Stoneth]
    #759693 - 11/28/14 10:11 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Cool So every two hours I can flood 6" Rockwool .Sweet Im going to try it .

Sup Stoney Nice to see ya.

Offline13buds
Trichome Farmer
 User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
    #759701 - 11/28/14 11:00 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

budgrowerwannabe said:
DWC Is really what I think ill do.Thats what i dont have is a good air pump.I have alcheapos for the fair fish but shit  I need a high powered one /or 5 lol

my dwc - 4 pop can sized air stones each tub, 20gal tub w/15 gal of water up to bottom of 10" netpot, 1 hydrofarm kit for viewing water levels and ppm/ph checks and draining.  :thumbup:

my aero cloner

I dont have n inside shot but its a submerged pond pump hooked up to a pvc tube circular deal I put together that has ez clone sprayers in it about every 4-5" all the way around, bout 25 of them.  :thumbup:

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:1:growingweed:3:growingweed:B:farmerdance:U:growingweed:D:growingweed:S:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:

Edited by 13buds (11/28/14 11:09 PM)

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Timer questions on first hydro grow [Re: budgrowerwannabe] * 1
    #759704 - 11/28/14 11:29 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I wouldn't. I run every two hours with hydroton and that has no water holding unlike the rockwool. Every two hours in rockwool is asking for root rot.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineGoonerHeClips
Stranger

Re: Timer questions on first hydro grow [Re: Magash] * 1
    #759717 - 11/29/14 06:23 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
I wouldn't. I run every two hours with hydroton and that has no water holding unlike the rockwool. Every two hours in rockwool is asking for root rot.

Seems to me rockwool only makes sense with drip to drain and one or two feedings a day.  But the real question is why people still grow in it.

InvisibleChemical Addiction
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Timer questions on first hydro grow [Re: GoonerHeClips]
    #759718 - 11/29/14 06:30 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

GoonerHeClips said:
Quote:

Magash said:

Seems to me rockwool only makes sense with drip to drain and one or two feedings a day.  But the real question is why people still grow in it.

I use it because its easy to root in, but if I can root clones in straight hydroton I will switch.

For now i'll go with the rockwool because its easy and i'm not home almost half the day so the water retention is nice.

I think I will try just using the plugs to start out and instead of putting them in a larger cube go to clay pebbles after a week.

--------------------
Sure. Don't expect me to compensate your wife and five retarded kids after I've drowned your exposed brain in my semen.
    Spider Jerusalem

OfflineGoonerHeClips
Stranger

Re: Timer questions on first hydro grow [Re: Chemical Addiction]
    #759721 - 11/29/14 07:56 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Chemical Addiction said:
Quote:

GoonerHeClips said:
Quote:

Magash said:

I use it because its easy to root in, but if I can root clones in straight hydroton I will switch.

For now i'll go with the rockwool because its easy and i'm not home almost half the day so the water retention is nice.

I think I will try just using the plugs to start out and instead of putting them in a larger cube go to clay pebbles after a week.

Why not just put the plug into the top of the clay pellets, and start that way?  Dome on top if you need to, can flood and let it drain through the rockwool and fill up your reservoir.  Also the plant and the roots aren't subjected to light and handling were you to move it later.  Then add your air pump stone and set up ebb and flow as you go...

Edited by GoonerHeClips (11/29/14 07:58 AM)

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #759732 - 11/29/14 10:23 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

If you have your rockwool system down why change. Roots love rockwool. The stuff does need to be flushed often cause it builds up salts easy but flushing it is easy to do. When I used it to root clones I had just as good a results as with plugs.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Timer questions on first hydro grow [Re: Magash]
    #759746 - 11/29/14 12:21 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:

Agreed!
I didn't realize he was using just rockwool for a medium.

--------------------
:getstoned:

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

Re: Timer questions on first hydro grow [Re: Stoneth]
    #759748 - 11/29/14 12:34 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Stoneth said:
Quote:

Magash said:

Agreed!
I didn't realize he was using just rockwool for a medium.

I dont have them in anything yet.

Maybe Ill use clay pebbles for my flood table.  Just trying to see how many times i need to flood and when.

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #759749 - 11/29/14 12:41 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I would recommend hydroton.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

Re: Timer questions on first hydro grow [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #759751 - 11/29/14 12:46 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Sweet thanks hawk. This will be my first time trying hydro If you call it that. :wellidunno:

So what just flood that every two hours for however long it takes to get full? Right?

Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Timer questions on first hydro grow [Re: Magash]
    #759778 - 11/29/14 04:33 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
If you have your rockwool system down why change. Roots love rockwool. The stuff does need to be flushed often cause it builds up salts easy but flushing it is easy to do. When I used it to root clones I had just as good a results as with plugs.

when you mentioned root rot it made me think, when I first soaked the rockwool cubes (not plugs) the directions were to not water for 3-4 days.

If i'm flooding the tray every 3 or even 4 hours wouldn't the rock wool stay too wet even though only the bottom of the cube will be in the water? The clay pebbles will mostly be under water when flooded but the rockwool works like a wick.

I'm finishing up the vegetative closet ATM, i'm going to put my clones into veg tomorrow will take some pictures when done. The roots are growing nicely in the rockwool.

When I fist put the plugs in the larger cubes there was/is a space. At first I thought it would be bad for the roots not even thinking about how they are exposed to air once in hydroton so I smashed in the top of 2/8 to fill in gap.

Then it hit me that the gap poses no problem, they are all looking good but I need new mothers. When the mothers were young they were getting 16 hours light 8 hours dark because that what my cacti were getting. I forgot to change timer for a few weeks until I noticed the plants were starting to flower! (out of stress I assume.)

Anyways I have more seeds I just need to start over and hope for all females again. Not start over completely just before I take more clones since these still have some small flowers at the nodes

--------------------
Sure. Don't expect me to compensate your wife and five retarded kids after I've drowned your exposed brain in my semen.
    Spider Jerusalem

Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #759779 - 11/29/14 04:37 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

budgrowerwannabe said:
Sweet thanks hawk. This will be my first time trying hydro If you call it that. :wellidunno:

So what just flood that every two hours for however long it takes to get full? Right?

You should have a drain that wont let the water rise above a certain point. magash recommended every three hours for the set up I have, and I was reading some of the overgrow FAQ (link is stickied in this forum) they said every four hours.

I'm a noob so I cant say from experience but every 2 hours seems like a bit much if your using rockwool as well as hydroton

--------------------
    Spider Jerusalem

OfflineGoonerHeClips
Stranger

#759844 - 11/30/14 05:10 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Chemical Addiction said:
Quote:

budgrowerwannabe said:

You should have a drain that wont let the water rise above a certain point. magash recommended every three hours for the set up I have, and I was reading some of the overgrow FAQ (link is stickied in this forum) they said every four hours.

I'm a noob so I cant say from experience but every 2 hours seems like a bit much if your using rockwool as well as hydroton

If you use your rockwool plug with a hydroton flood and ebb system, that plug will be a pimple on the plants butt in about a week when the roots start growing down into the hydroton.

If you are going all rockwool, isn't a drip system the way to go versus ebb and flood, same as with coco?

Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Timer questions on first hydro grow [Re: GoonerHeClips]
    #759892 - 11/30/14 12:36 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

So I got things set up, it was a pain in the ass getting the PH right but luckily I did it in the jugs rather than the reservoir. I didn't realize the nutrients lowered the Ph...

Anyways I put 15 gallons in at first and turned on the pump. It took ~5mins to fill to the point where its was draining. I waited until the pump turned off before adding more water, I used 20 gallons total.

After I took the first picture I relocated the small fan so it was closer to the bulb. I still need some oscillating fans. The fan in the door will run 24/7 the top fan pulls air out, the bottom pushes it in.

I still need a few pvc parts to better support the light, I went with 3/4" because I already had the pipe and most of the parts, although I would have preferred 2" I may switch later

I have the airstone running 24/7 just until I get a timer, The pump goes every 3 hours for 15 mins. The light goes for 18 hours. Once I get the oscillating fan I plan on keeping it going 24/7 unless you guys think that's too much.

Question: Should I remove the plastic sleeves on the rockwool? I believe I can do it without disturbing the plants if I don't wait to long.

An overview of the set up.

The fan in the door inside and out. I had to use mirror for outside pic beasue the closet is so close to the sinks.

the fan to help keep the light cool (may add a second if it gets too hot.

--------------------
    Spider Jerusalem

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder