Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Boomr Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinewebster10

Grow room from scratch
    #750103 - 09/27/14 06:22 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Hey everyone, as the title suggests, I'd like to set up a grow space.

The available space is 6'W x 5'L x 7'H. Note that the floor wall and cieling of this space is plywood. These is a already a mesh filter of some sorts I'm guessing for air exchange. *note that this space is a small trailer next to my house

I am virtually clueless when it comes to everything that goes into a successfully incognito grow room.

What I'd like to do:
-Hydroponics(Thinking about this ebb and flow https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=70262)(I'm going to install a regular overflow valve instead of doing his method of draining the flood table.)

-Have space for a decent amount of clones(5-10) Have space for a few mothers (1-4) and a decent sized flowering space.

-Use no more than ~600 or so watts for the entire space.

Okay so, those are goals I want to achieve with this space. Now making it happen is the hard part.

I have a ton of questions and will ask them all. Answer any of them that you can and personal tips are always a big help as well.

1. Should I use plywood, insulation board, a tent of some sorts or what when building a divider between the 3 areas (veg/clone/flower)?

2. What am I going to have to do to make this area 100% smell proof? (*Note that mesh screen thing that provides FAE)

3. Living in an area with high humidity, will I have to add a dehumidifier?

4. Me living in a hot area, and the trailer being a dark color, will I have to buy a water chiller for my res or add AC to do space?

Those are all of the questions I have for right now. Now here is a list I've been compiling of everything I'm going to need to buy.

(For the ebb and flow table itself):
8 1/2 adapters
8 elbow with side outlet
130-170 gph sub. pump
Black 1/2 ID Tubing
3 1/2 barbs
4 4ft 1/2 pvc tubing
1 tub from concrete section of lowes (the smaller one)
super glue
Duct tape
10 Gallon rubber maid res.

For the room:
Mylar
Material to divide up the space into 3.
Rockwool
Hydroton
4" net pots
Lights(thinking of doing a 150W mh for the mothers, 400w hps flower and 50w t5 for clones)
Hygrometer
Thermometer
Ventilation material(idk what to do for this)

Now everyone, thank you very much for the input. Everything and anything is appreciated. Anything you have to add, suggest or recommend is appreciated. I'm very new at this and willing to learn so please, by all means, bombard me with as much information as possible.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Grow room from scratch [Re: webster10]
    #750164 - 09/28/14 01:30 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Plywood, plastic liner, saw horses, dixie cups, lava rock.

Then there is this setup

:awetongue::happyweed::awetongue:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinewebster10

Re: Grow room from scratch [Re: Magash]
    #750166 - 09/28/14 05:33 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Wow, amazing design. So simple yet so complex at the same time.

After everything is built, what are plant sites filled with? I think that you use lavarock, but would hydroton be possible?Since it's like half a 2 liter worth of root space, I imagine this setup is designed for a small plant SoG?

Awesome setup though and I'd definitely use this for my flowering space. I guess SoG it is :thumbup:

Now do you have any good setups like this for a mother room and a cloning space?

What goes into setting up the lights? (100W mh for mothers, 50W t5 for clones, 400w hps for flower)

Is the amount of light I'm thinking of using even enough for supporting the amount of plants I want?

How am I going to cool all of these lights?

Will I have to introduce AC to the environment?

What I'm thinking of doing for ventilation is installing a vortex fan around that mesh screen thing for air intake into the trailer, setting a carbon filter in the middle of the grow room and installing a vortex fan on top of it pulling air into the carbon filter. With this plan will I need a space for exhaust?

Sorry the amount of questions. I just want to get this show on the road.

Offlinewebster10

#750167 - 09/28/14 05:48 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Also for that design, should I spray paint the bottles black or something so I won't get algae growth in the root zone?

How large is that res at the bottom?

Offlinewebster10

#750189 - 09/28/14 11:30 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Here are some pictures of the space I have. Exactly 69"W x 72"L x 73"H

For the clone area:
    Thinking of basically doing an SGFC with the cuttings inside in rockwool with a 54W t5. Could I support 11 clones with 54 watts?

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #750202 - 09/28/14 04:39 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

I think that you use lavarock, but would hydroton be possible?

yes

Quote:

2 liter worth of root space, I imagine this setup is designed for a small plant SoG?

Yup, I'd limit plant size to 2 feet or so.

Quote:

Now do you have any good setups like this for a mother room and a cloning space?

The size and setup of the vegging space depends on how the flowering space is setup. That determines how many mothers you need and how many cuttings you need to take and how often.

Quote:

What goes into setting up the lights? (100W mh for mothers, 50W t5 for clones, 400w hps for flower)

Ya hang em and you turn em on. What do you mean what goes into setting them up?

Quote:

Is the amount of light I'm thinking of using even enough for supporting the amount of plants I want?

It can work as long as you want small mothers.

Quote:

How am I going to cool all of these lights?

Will I have to introduce AC to the environment?

The typical air cool lights will work and a exhaust fan with a area for air to get in. Filter the incoming air with a screen to catch bugs.

The ac question depends on the area you live in. I'm not sure how hot it gets way down south but I'm sure it gets humid and a ac serves two perposes. Removes heat and removes humidity.

Quote:

What I'm thinking of doing for ventilation is installing a vortex fan around that mesh screen thing for air intake into the trailer, setting a carbon filter in the middle of the grow room and installing a vortex fan on top of it pulling air into the carbon filter. With this plan will I need a space for exhaust?

I do it like this. I have the fans connected to the lights. They draw air into the lights and out of the room. Openings in the bottom of the tents (in your case plywood floors) let the air in. You want the air to enter from more then one place or move the air in the room around real good or there will be humid spots and places with low exchange.

Quote:

Also for that design, should I spray paint the bottles black or something so I won't get algae growth in the root zone?

You could. I'd wrap em in foil so they could be checked. That would be a pretty cool advantage over most.

Quote:

How large is that res at the bottom?

I like em to hold at least twice the amount needed to flood the area.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

Offlinewebster10

#750203 - 09/28/14 05:05 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Well when buying lights, I know I need a ballast, a hood and a bulb, is there anything else I need?

I'm thinking of going with these ballasts and bulbs and increasing my mh wattage to 175.

MH Ballast: https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/89417/PLUSRITE-7210.html
MH Bulb: https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/5040/MH-01751P.html
Hps Bulb: https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/4982/LU0400-0002.html
HPS ballast: https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/71058/PLUSRITE-7276.html

And any recommendations on what brand of hood should I use?

I'm going to need to be taking 11 cuttings every 8-10 weeks, preferably of like 3 or 4 different strains.

How with holes in the bottom of the trailer would it remain smell proof? Also, what kind of fan do you use to draw fresh, cool air through? I'm looking at vortex fans and they're like $100+ which is a bit ridiculous.

About ventilation: If I'm getting this right, you're saying that I should use one of those FAE sites on the trailer, pull in air through that(it already has a screen for bugs), and duct that air up to the lights to the HPS to cool it off. Then I'm going to duct it through the wall up to the MH and through the wall diving the trailer into 2(not the same wall dividing the veg and flower room) into the remaining space I have not used for any growing. I will just set a carbon filter and an inline fan in this space so that any air that passively drifts out of the other built in FAE site won't smell.

About actual construction: I'm going to set the flowering side up next to one of the ventilation holes already in the trailer so I can draw the air directly to the hps which I assume will be the hottest. Then I will build 2 walls, enclosing this space(one wall parallel to the already existing trailer wall that has the FAE site that will divide flower and veg room. And another wall perpendicular to the divider wall and already existing wall all the way across to the other side of the trailer that will enclose both rooms to the other side of the trailer that I use for storage). On the other side of the divider wall, goes my 175 watt MH and the mothers. Can I stick my SGFC clone box right in with the moms(I'll be using an 85watt CFL 5000k for clones) and keep them on the same light schedule?

Mag I really want to thank you for all this information. This project could not be possible without you

Edited by webster10 (09/28/14 07:22 PM)

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #750218 - 09/28/14 07:45 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Those ballasts are gonna run hot as hell.

Quote:

And any recommendations on what brand of hood should I use?

I can't tell ya. I'm not up on what's out there. I've been using the same sun system hoods for the last 10 years. (Actually closer to 15)

Quote:

How with holes in the bottom of the trailer would it remain smell proof?

With the fans on air should be going into the grow space not out.

Quote:

you're saying that I should use one of those FAE sites on the trailer, pull in air through that(it already has a screen for bugs), and duct that air up to the lights to cool them off.

Use one that exists or make your own.

Quote:

I also need a space where I will pull air out and install a carbon filter at this exhaust site?

Install it anyplace you want as long as the air goes threw it before leaving the grow space.

Quote:

Also how would I pull the air through to both the mh and hps if there is a wall dividing them?

Can't help ya there I use a fan for each space. Actually I have a fan for each light.

Quote:

Can I stick my SGFC clone box right in with the moms(I'll be using an 85watt CFL 5000k for clones) and keep them on the same light schedule?

Yup

Quote:

Mag I really want to thank you for all this information. This project could not be possible without you

Thanks for the comment. Just doing my job. :elmo:

:growingweed::happyweed::growingweed:

--------------------

Offlinewebster10

#750272 - 09/29/14 04:23 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Will I have to use AC for the ballasts? Or can I stick a desk fan next to each of them to keep the heat at bay?

Buying some of the shit today and ordering a lot of it this week. I cannot wait for this to get going.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #750277 - 09/29/14 07:46 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

webster10 said:
Will I have to use AC for the ballasts? Or can I stick a desk fan next to each of them to keep the heat at bay?

Buying some of the shit today and ordering a lot of it this week. I cannot wait for this to get going.

Your wattages are way low compared to what I'm use to so I'm pretty sure that a fan will do.

--------------------

Offlinewebster10

#750308 - 09/29/14 12:11 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Hell yeah! Awesome news :thumbup:

So any is there any particular set up you'd recommend for mothers? Maybe handwatering coir? :shrug: It will have to sustain 11 clones every 8 or so weeks.

Offlinewebster10

#750354 - 09/29/14 06:43 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Got some more stuff for you to look at. I drew up a diagram of how in my mind this thing is going to be built.

Also here is a list of supplies I'll be buying.

• AcuRite Indoor Humidity Monitor…….$10.00
• Hydroton 10 pounds…….$21.14
• Grodan 1.5” Rockwool (98 cubes)…….$15.77
• Plusrite 2010 LU400 400W HPS Bulb 2000k....$9.33
• Plusrite 400W HPS Ballast….$50.56
• Plusrite 150W MH 4200k Mogul Base…..$10.05
• PLT150W MH Ballast….$42.42
• GCP 85W CFL 5000k…..$18.03
• (2) Titan Controls Analog Timer 120V….$19.88
• (2) Titan Controls Analog Timer 240V….$29.26
• (2) UltraGrow air cooled 6 inch hood…..$120.38
• Garden Safe rooting hormone…..$7.98
• VenTech 6” Ducting  25 feet…..$17.75
• Reflective Mylar  (48” x 50’)…..$27.85
• VenTech 4” Inline fan + Carbon Filter……$96.95
• Coco Coir Kempf 5KG……$15.21
• (2) Honeywell TurboForce Fan……..$15.99
• Ona Pro Gel 1 quart……$20.55
• (3) Cooler Master Rifle Bearing 80mm fan…..$22.50
• EcoPlus 185 submersible pump 185gph….$14.55

And of course, some questions :lol:

1. Will the pump (185gph) be strong enough to push the water all the way through?

2. Can I set up the ballasts in the same space that I'm growing in?

3. If there is anything that'd make this set up better or any tips you'd like to throw in, go ahead. :cool:

About to go out and start gathering up everything on the list soon. Should be beginning to build this weekend.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #750362 - 09/29/14 08:37 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I don't think computer fans will work or they would be used all the time. What about the air in the room. I don't see anyway to exhaust the air in the room and your gonna have to do that several times a day or you're gonna be growing mold not plants. Remember those ballasts you have chosen to use are gonna run about 3 times as hot as their digital counterparts. Plus from what I can see they have no outer casing so there is a upcoming disaster there. Plus exposure to dirt and dust.
Also, I think the 400watt can handle the heat from the 150 rather then the 150 having to handle the heat from the 400 so I'd change the airflow. Your gonna heat up the vent hose and it's gonna radiate heat. Switch the air flow and the heat from the hottest part of the setup has a shorter journey out of the grow space. ( I've been at this a while huh....:wink:)

Quote:

1. Will the pump (185gph) be strong enough to push the water all the way through?

I'd go with the Maxi jet 600 but that pump should work.

Quote:

Can I set up the ballasts in the same space that I'm growing in?

Not with the setup in the drawing.

Quote:

If there is anything that'd make this set up better or any tips you'd like to throw in, go ahead.

Already did. :wink::cool:

--------------------

Offlinewebster10

#750390 - 09/30/14 04:23 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

1. What fans should I use instead of the computer fans?

2. To the right of the 150w bulb I drew in a computer fan pulling air out(the edge of the page is the wall of the trailer). Like you said, I can't use a computer fan. So would a normal fan up there pulling air out not be enough exhaust?

3. For the ballasts, should I just invest in some digital ballasts and be able to run them inside the room? Or could I build a buffer room between the empty space in the trailer and the front of the grow space and put the ballasts in there?

4. And I'll just switch up the whole thing and flip flop the veg/flower space so the 150w heat will be blowing onto the 400w

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #750428 - 09/30/14 11:25 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Or could I build a buffer room between the empty space in the trailer and the front of the grow space and put the ballasts in there?

Now your talking.

Quote:

And I'll just switch up the whole thing and flip flop the veg/flower space so the 150w heat will be blowing onto the 400w

It's not a big thing but it will help a little and remember it's the growers that do everything including the little things that get the results.

Quote:

So would a normal fan up there pulling air out not be enough exhaust?

You know you can get a squirrel cage fan for a decent price and they move a pretty good amount of air.

--------------------

Offlinewebster10

#750487 - 09/30/14 03:51 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

1. Would exhausting into the buffer room be possible? What I mean is that I'm going to intake air from outside, vent it through the veg and flower spaces and into the buffer room. I guess I'll install a hole in the wall of the buffer room(with a screen) exposing it to the open area of the rest of the trailer. And then when in this space could passively drift out the 2nd FAE site my trailer has? Doing this, I'd just put the carbon filter + inline fan inside the buffer room. So the smelly, humid air I vent out from the grow space will go through the carbon filter in this room and then can just passively drift out.

2. Sound advice :thumbup:

3. How about this for a fan?
http://www.amazon.com/VenTech-DF6-Duct-Fan-240/dp/B005KMTYFK/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1412110830&sr=8-15&keywords=centrifugal+fan

4. How many of those fans will I need to pull air in from outside and push it into the buffer room with that plan I described earlier?

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #750489 - 09/30/14 04:37 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Well depends on the size of the fan but it will only take one.

This fan is way bigger then what you need but the mounting is the same. These fan can be found at most home depots and such for a fairly cheap price. I used one of these for my first grow room which was 30ft long 22 ft wide and 8ft high.

One can pull air threw the lights and one can empty the space. Mount one on the wall blowing into the buffer room.

They will also move air more efficiently then the inline fan in the link.

--------------------

Offlinewebster10

#750510 - 09/30/14 06:19 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I'm looking for fans like that on homedepot.com but not seeing any. Also the cheapest centrifugal(squirrel cage) fan they have is over $100+

Do you think I'll be able to get by with the inline in that link?

I'm thinking I should just replace the circled areas in this pic and put one of the inlines I linked in each of these locations. Pretend that the right edge of the paper is the wall in between the flower and buffer room(in reality the buffer room will be in front of the flower room not beside it). I will pull in air with the first fan and continue pulling it through with the second and also pushing it into the buffer room with the second where my carbon filter will take care of all of the smell. Now this non-smelly air can passively drift out through the screened hole in the wall of the buffer room into the empty space and out of the 2nd FAE site.

Thoughts or concerns?

EDIT: I'll try to draw up another updated draft of the diagram tomorrow.

Edited by webster10 (09/30/14 06:20 PM)

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #750512 - 09/30/14 06:51 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah I think that fan will work.

Your ideas with the fans should work. Now as far as filters go I don't use them so I can't really advise on them.

--------------------

Offlinewebster10

#750515 - 09/30/14 06:58 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

So awesome to hear that!

Picked up the PVC for the flowering room today.

This project is coming along nicely :awesomenod:

Cannot wait for this thing to be up an rolling.

You have seriously been a huge help with this whole thing.

Having an expert grower answer any question I have is an awesome resource :awehigh:

Have a great night magash I'll post the updated diagram tomorrow.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Boomr Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds