Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

Setting up a grow tent - In need of guidance
    #710623 - 01/30/14 02:01 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Hello, I've been lurking for a few days and picking up some info on teks and training and nutes, really all manner of things, and I'm starting to formulate an idea of what kind of setup I want to use for my first grow.  Before taking an interest in this I've been a member on the sister site Shroomery since 2008 so I've had some good experience with that in the past (and present) which means I know where to get a lot of the supplies this hobby calls for already.

I'll preface this by saying I'm gonna spam you guys with some links.  I know that's a noob thing to do generally (mind turns to 1000s of threads on shroomery with people linking bunk ass grow kits, forum veterans facepalm, thread closure ensues) but I don't want to purchase bunk gear for this, I pretty much have my whole tax return to blow on whatever I want and this is what I'm leaning toward heavily.  In that respect, I wanna keep it kind of small but I also want to go big or go home with what I do grow.  So here it is.

TEK

I'm going to go ahead and go with hempy buckets, I've decided that for certain.  A quick look around has led me to believe that's the most economic and fruitful first grow setup I could be using, and probably one I'll stick with due to the simplicity of it.  I'm somewhat torn between scrog and just low stress training them (since I'm using bagseed, scrog might be harder)  I get most of how that works and don't have many questions there, but I'm going to start with these links now, of what I have been eyeballing.

AREA

For my grow space, I wanted to use a grow tent.  I was leaning between a 36"x36"x73" grow tent and one that's 50"x50"x79".  More heavily toward the larger one.  Both essentially have the same design aside from the size:  http://www.amazon.com/MILLIARD-Mylar-Reflective-Hydroponic-Window/dp/B00ETBDXZU/

Nay, yay, eh, okay?

As I understand it this will be 100% necessary because I am growing indoors in an apartment and I MUST contain the smell and be able to drape something over it or at least disguise it enough to be like "oh that's just our portable closet, no worries", although it'll be in the bedroom and it's unlikely anyone will ask.  Without doubt, the biggest concern is the smell though.

Because I am using a tent it follows that I will need a fan and a filter, or rather, probably two fans, (in and out) correct?  I was looking to just jump right in for quality and go with a Phresh carbon filter but I don't know what size I should choose, and I think it depends on my lighting and my fan, which is what I'll touch on now.

LIGHTING

I'm pretty certain I'm going with a 600W ballast with mh/hps bulbs, but I'm open to suggestions.  I would rather have 2-3 plants with some solid super dank nugs than a dozen spindly motherfuckers with some intermittent popcorn.  This is the light I was looking at: 
http://www.amazon.com/Apollo-Horticulture-GLK600GW19-Digital-Dimmable/dp/B004L3AQ1U

Got some good reviews there but what do you guys think?

---

Those are the only pieces I've gotten a good look at so far.  I know I want to go with a 3 part nutrient system with the typical grow/bloom/micro so I can control those variables, and that I'll also need something to balance and test PH.  Any recommendations there?  I thought I'd check local shops for some of those things so I can pay in cash for at least some of this.

TL:DR

I need help figuring out the following:
-Will my choice of ballast/lighting work with the tent I settled on?
-Leaving at least one constant (the light or the tent), are there any recommendations of changes that you'd suggest, such as higher wattage on the light, CFPM of the fan/filter, etc?
-How do I know what type of fan to match with a filter?
-Given the items I chose, or based on your recommendations, how many plants could I fit into this space in 3 gallon hempy buckets?
-If I were to scrog my plants, what's a common way of hanging the screen?  I imagine the tent's internal structure should provide something to work off of but I'm a little at a loss.
-Can anyone with experience with hempy buckets fill me in on exactly what you're supposed to do with that extra water that runs out of the hole when you water it.  That seems like it could invite mold if it's not wiped up every time.  I guess that's the solution?

I'll reiterate the specs here:

Grow tent size is 50"x50"x79"  (or 36"x36"x73" if you think I should?)
600W Ballast with MH and HPS
3 Gallon buckets

I need these:
-Fan size/speed
-Filter specifications
-Nutrient recommendations if you've got em.
-# of plants recommended
-LST or scrog?

Anything helps.  This forum doesn't seem to be quite as active as it once was, and people always DELETE THEIR FUCKING PICTURES OF THEIR GROWS, so it's been hard to find some of what I've been looking for.  Thanks in advance!

I think that's everything... =\
:thataintright:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Setting up a grow tent - In need of guidance [Re: Inocuole]
    #710681 - 01/30/14 05:33 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Go for the bigger tent, that will give you more room to expand and upgrade later on. 

With that size tent, you have about 112 CF.  You need to have at least 3 times that for air flow.  So a 400CFM inline would be appropriate.  The filter can be attached to that.  I would go with a vortex fan, and a phresh filter. 

For the size of the tent that you are getting, if you go with the larger one, I would run a 1000watt light.  That reflector is a piece of shit.  Get yourself something decent.  Like this 

http://www.rvfgardensupply.com/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=904655

It going to help cut down on heat in the grow space, and also allow you to get the light close to the plants.  If you don't get a sealed vented hood, you are going to regret it. 

# of plants is a personal preference.  You could do 2 under a 1000 watter, or 40.  It all depends on the type of grow you feel like doing.  I prefer to do less plants and allow them to get a bit bigger. 

Nutrients, I prefer Botainicaire.  But there are a lot of good lines.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

Re: Setting up a grow tent - In need of guidance [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #710692 - 01/30/14 06:01 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I've heard a lot about Botanicaire and if they have it stocked locally I'll probably end up getting it.  I see this is probably going to run me a bit more than I initially expected but the results should surely pay for themselves I'd think.

So, what you're saying, on the topic of the light, is that this fixture you linked here will actually run cooler than that 600W despite being more powerful overall?  Does that light need it's own fan, come with one already, or is it designed to fit in the top exhaust port, or, what's up with that?  Actually, that fixture doesn't seem to be specifically rated, could I swap out bulbs of different wattages?  I'm definitely not opposed to going 1000W, I'm going to take a few energy saving precautions around the house to counter it anyway.  So if I decided to take your advice and get the 8" reflector you linked I'd need to get my own MH and HPS bulbs, correct?  Also do you have specific experience with that reflector or is that just one of the ones you know is good via observation/word of mouth?

Regarding the fan, if I just get, say a 6" 400CFM fan any 6" filter should be able to fit right onto that, right?  May seem like I want clarification on weird stuff but, having put many things together, especially computers, I don't assume to know that anything is just going to fit magically. =P  The cost of a vortex fan together with a phresh filter is a little daunting, I must say, unless you know where to get a good deal on a combo?  Also, does that mean I'd only use the one inline fan w/ filter (at the top to pull out the warm air) and let the cool air leak in passively or am I looking at two potentially expensive fans for in and out?

I appreciate your advice and was hoping it'd be you or one of the other regulars who responded, it's not hard to tell you're one of the people who know their stuff the best.  Thanks again!

Edited by Inocuole (01/30/14 06:45 PM)

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #710699 - 01/30/14 07:17 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Well your ballast is going to determine the wattage of bulb you are putting into it.  So whatever ballast you get, you are set with that wattage of bulb.  The reflector is separate from that.

Now if you are going to get that reflector, you will want to get an inline fan that is the same size of the ports in the reflector.  The more air you move in your space the better.  400 is just the minimum that I would go with.

Here's how you will set this up.  Carbon filter -> Inline fan -> Reflector -> Outside the tent.

Now you can hang the filter at the top, as long as the tent you get is VERY strong.  Those carbon filters are very fucking heavy. 

Yeah this hobby is expensive, but the cost is definitely offset by how much you can yield, as long as you do everything right, and aren't a complete idiot.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

#710708 - 01/30/14 07:57 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Ah crap so the reflector holds the ballast as well?  That seems like an awful lot of shit to be hanging from the top of that tent.  Fuck.  I'm wondering if ~1000 dollars is actually going to be enough for this...
Tent- 115
Nutes/PH: ~100
Reflector-170
Ballast with lights- 200ish?
fan: 170
filter: 170

That's already 925 and I'm pretty damn sure I'm missing some things.  Not even counting the perlite/buckets/verm and whatever I start my seedlings in.

:herpyderp:

Am I just finding some shitty prices or is this really the overhead I should've been planning for to get a fairly decent product?

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #710716 - 01/30/14 08:36 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

No, the ballast is not connected to the reflector.  Not sure how you inferred that one. 

The prices you are stating seem reasonable for quality products.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

#710728 - 01/30/14 08:57 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I guess I wasn't sure what to infer.  If the reflector is for the light, and the ballast is also attached to the light.. well, they both gotta go somewhere somehow.  I'm gonna have to scale things a little lower I think for the time being though.  I still want the big tent and quality nutes and a good filter, but I'll probably need to cut some kind of corner somewhere to make do while I get more funds together.

But while I'm staring at a number feeling a burning sensation in my pocket, was there anything vital missing from that list that'd be necessary or would that actually cover it?

Because if 925 really is my final number for equipment and I can afford it I'll god damn fucking do it if it means I never have to pay another asshole 100 dollars or more for a quarter oz again.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #710732 - 01/30/14 09:14 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

pH tester?  PPM tester?

You can get a cheap pH tester, the little drop ones can work for you just fine for a long time. 

I never used hempy buckets, so I can't really comment on those.

You can go ahead and get a lower wattage light and what not, but if you skimp on the reflector, you will end up having heat issues.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

#710735 - 01/30/14 09:27 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

So regardless of what I do, definitely ensure I have a sealed reflector that can attach to a fan, correct?  I'd wanna attach the filter to that fan as well and use it for the heat output, just to make sure I understand?

I can handle the business with the hempy buckets on my own, more or less, those are what intimidate me the least about all this.  It's all this equipment that I've never used before that's got me sketched mostly.  In that regard, you can pretend I'm growing in soil for all it matters.

I know there's cheap pH testers but the PPM tester is pretty expensive no?  Is there a cheap semi-temporary alternative for that as well?  I don't mind something being a little more work at first, I know I can eventually spend money on new stuff for this again.

And thank you again for checking back in here every so often.  I'm kind of surprised it's only you chiming in here but if you didn't it'd still be at 0 replies so seriously, thanks, a lot.  Consultation about these things is hard to find.

Also, is this a fan/filter combo I'm seeing?  http://www.amazon.com/Phresh-Filter-400CFM-Active-Air/dp/B00HFEGSCI  If so, that could save some money, for sure, if you approve of deviation from a vortex fan while I'm getting sorted, anyway.  I'm sure I can find a few ways to get some deals on what I need if I can mix and match a bit.

Edited by Inocuole (01/31/14 10:18 AM)

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #710751 - 01/30/14 10:42 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Because if 925 really is my final number for equipment and I can afford it I'll god damn fucking do it if it means I never have to pay another asshole 100 dollars or more for a quarter oz again.

Honestly, you're gonna want to just about double that number, bro. Yea, the initial equipment will be maybe $1250-1400 (the PPM and PH meters will be a little pricey, just remember you get what you pay for. And you will need ducting, and maybe flanges too.). But before the end of your grow, you will find yourself needing this little thing or that, and those little things tend to add up quickly.

But all in all, even if you end up spending $2000 total before your first harvest, if you do things right you should be able to at least yield that much worth of usable product, if not more!

--------------------
My best run so far

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

Re: Setting up a grow tent - In need of guidance [Re: Tank333]
    #710753 - 01/30/14 10:59 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Well, I understand that I'll get out what I put into it but not having money is why I'm in this situation so I've gotta start somewhere.  I just want to get some of the more permanent fixtures and make shit work with them for now while I get things perfected.  I'll spend however much I need to but when I'm all out of money and I just have a half-working grow setup that won't do me any good either.  I've heard of people growing on far less and getting some pretty dank results, though.

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

#710754 - 01/30/14 11:17 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

But then I guess I'm the noob coming up on the forum gaping slack jawed at the prices everyone else here readily paid to enjoy their hobby.  So there's that for me to think about for a bit.  =P

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #710755 - 01/30/14 11:36 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Well you can get away with less.  But to avoid having issues during the grow is why I am recommending what I am.

That link wasn't working for me.  Can't comment on it.

Eco-Plus is a good alternative to vortex fan wise. 

From my understanding hempy buckets are a soilless way of growing.  It's a good idea to have a ppm meter for those things.  They run about 100 bucks.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #710785 - 01/31/14 12:29 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Well you can get away with less.  But to avoid having issues during the grow is why I am recommending what I am.

From my understanding hempy buckets are a soilless way of growing.  It's a good idea to have a ppm meter for those things.  They run about 100 bucks.

This is key right here. You COULD just buy a light a tent a bucket and some cheap ass nutes and use JUST that.  There are people that do okay doing that. But to get top notch results that make your investment and time worth it, you'll want to invest in good equipment. There's quite a few things that you SHOULD have that you don't NEED to have right away... Shit, my next cool gadget I want for my room is an automatic PH dispenser. Costs almost $500! But I won't ever have to worry about forgetting to check the PH again! Lol

As far as a ppm meter, you don't HAVE to have it. I don't. I just have a bluelab PH meter. I replace my rez once a week (and in heavy drinking periods in flower sometimes every 5 days), and it works well for me. BUT, to take myself to the next level in dialing in my nutrient regimen, I should invest in a decent one.

--------------------
My best run so far

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

Re: Setting up a grow tent - In need of guidance [Re: Tank333]
    #710858 - 01/31/14 09:37 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I understand, and that makes total sense.  I've been spending the last day or so talking it out and thinking it over and I think I'm more or less ready to put in investments wherever they're most worthwhile.  I know for a fact that however many dollars spent, no matter how many dollars, you WILL have that value made up in the first harvest, unless you just plain suck at utilizing your gear.  And I don't think that'll be me, I follow instructions pretty well.  I appreciate all the advice and appreciate anything anybody's got, even if I don't have any other questions at this exact moment, I'm sure I will.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #710867 - 01/31/14 11:05 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Environment is going to be one of the biggest factors in making the difference between really good yield/weed and just mediocre.  They need x amount of constant fresh air to be happy.  They prefer lower temps as well, although that by far is not always 100% true.  I have made runs with my temps in the 90's the whole way through, with great results.  But not all strains can handle high temps. 

And you don't need all the different additives to get a really good grow down.  You could just use the 3 part base from fox farms and do really, really well.

Are you completely stuck on the hempy buckets?

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

#710872 - 01/31/14 11:22 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Not completely, but I've seen a few of them and they look like they churn out some really nice results.  What would you recommend alternatively?

Fox Farm and Botanicaire are the #1 brands I've been hearing so I'll certainly be checking out one of the two, would you say if I was just going to start with the 3 part base that Fox Farm would be a better choice?

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #710878 - 02/01/14 12:26 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I think that would be a solid economical way to go.  But once you get rolling with more money, and a couple of grows under your belt.  I would look into other brands of nutrients and going beyond the basics

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

#711112 - 02/02/14 09:58 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Alright, I've got all my equipment figured out, thanks to Jason over at RVF Garden Supply.  I'm going with a 4'x4' tent (taller than the previous one), and for lighting, 1000k MH/HPS in a 6" reflector.  Everything else is in the budget and should be acquired without issue. 

Thanks again to everybody who chimed in.  I'm probably going to start another thread in mjcult since most questions I have are pretty off topic to grow room design at this point.

:raisemyglass:

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

#714830 - 02/13/14 03:41 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Heey there guys I got all my gear today and I'm setting up the tent.  I have the light hung up properly now and I think I have the general idea of how the ducting and whatnot goes but I thought I'd check first.  I've got a sun hut xl (54"x54"x84") and the exhaust goes out the top on the back-right of the tent.  Given that, I assume intake comes from the left side, works into the reflector, and then back out through that exhaust port in the top. 

What I need confirmation on is, what comes before the reflector, and what comes after the reflector?

The way I had in mind would be Outside Left>Filter>Fan>Reflector>Outside/exhaust port.  The socket of the lamp is on the left side, and the bulb faces toward the right, where the exhaust would be coming out, this is correct, right?  Basically the fan would pull in filtered air, run it past the bulb, then out the tent, I assume not much else is needed there?

I have no flanges, but 4 clamps, and some equipment hangers.  Do I need a flange or does that just help seal it better?

Also, this is a 435cfm fan and is pretty damn loud when it kicks on, do I want this thing on all the time or on a timer separate from the light?  It blows out some ice cold air but having experimented with using fans to cool my CFLs it seems like not having the fan blowing at any given moment would be bad.

Edit:
I don't know if I have room to do it the way I mentioned above.  Would it be terrible if I hooked it up like Fan->Ducting>Reflector>Ducting>Filter?  Or... hm.  Hanging up all of these things seems like a structural pain in the ass.  I ended up just making a peg on the wall outside the tent to hang the ballast on.

I think I can get the fan put in near the entrance of the reflector but it seems like it would be easiest altogether to just throw the filter on at the exhaust point and let it sit on top of the tent, outside of it.  Is there a problem with doing that? 

Or hell, do the opposite and have the filter outside the tent on the LEFT side(intake) so that the fan just sucks through the filter?  I watched a few videos and it kind of seems like it doesn't matter where the filter goes but I want to be sure, you know?  Mostly because after today I don't want to fuck with it for a while.

Edited by Inocuole (02/13/14 04:23 PM)

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #714836 - 02/13/14 04:14 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Having all that ducting between your filter and fan is not a good idea.  It is going to decrease the amount of CFM it is putting out significantly.  You could have it set like this  Reflector>Ducting>Fan>Filter. 

Keep in mind though, the filter are meant to have air pulled through them, not pushed.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

#714840 - 02/13/14 04:51 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Set up that way it would pull air through the reflector as opposed to push it, correct?  So I'd just want some more ducting on the other side?  That sounds feasible I suppose.

I'm thinking of just doing it the way I originally mentioned, Filter, then fan, then reflector, ducted out the exhaust, with duct in between each component, mentioned in order of air flow.

That's the best way, generally, right?

Right now I already have ducting clamped onto the right side of the reflector, and running out of the top of the tent.  Just fitting the filter and fan in there before the reflector should yield  a good setup I'd assume?  I'm just concerned there may not be enough room to cram the fan in there as well.  Would it be so bad if I hooked the fan up at the exhaust point and had it pull everything from there, starting at the filter hanging by the reflector?

Edited by Inocuole (02/13/14 05:12 PM)

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #714845 - 02/13/14 05:12 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

No you wouldn't want ducting on the other side of the reflector.  You want to be pulling air out of the tent.  So if you can't fit the filter inside the tent.  The way I mentioned is the best way to go about it. 

The whole point of the filter is to scrub out all the stinky air from inside the tent.  And if you don't do it my way, you will need the flanges, otherwise you will not be getting a sealed flow.  And that could allow stinky air to escape.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

#714847 - 02/13/14 05:19 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Edit: I got the filter and fan hung up inside the tent finally,  no problems there, other than I'm missing one duct clamp, so I can't finish right now.

The setup is Filter>Fan>Reflector>Exhaust

Also, a minor air leakage of smelliness isn't the end of the world.  I run a purifier in the same room as the tent, and this tent is so far from the front door, I assure you plenty more obvious smells are being produced in the living room regularly.  :pipesmoke:

I just don't want to damage any of my gear, as long as a reasonable amount of fairly-well filtered air carries the heat out of the tent, I could give less of a fuck if it smells just a little bit in the room itself.  I'll just take a few extra measures to seal up the ducting.

I can get some flanges as time goes on though.

Edited by Inocuole (02/13/14 06:03 PM)

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

#714858 - 02/13/14 07:18 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Here's a pic of the current setup:  I'm missing one duct clamp, so the ducting is just sort of mashed onto the reflector on the left side.  I'm not using the light right now or the fan so this isn't a huge setback or anything.  I should have another clamp later this evening, anyway.

(That's just some rope from my equipment hangers holding up that bit of ducting, nothing crazy.  I left it a bit long so I could lower the light, though it's more likely that I'll just raise the plants to the light so I don't have to fuck with it)

There's a few 90 degree bends in there because of the space constraints.  Does everything look okay for the most part?

I got up on a chair and felt the air coming out the top exhaust and it's certainly blowing pretty hard out of there.  It hardly seems like any power is lost compared to how the fan blows normally.  My next purchase is probably going to be a speedster for the fan because it's just a tad loud, I'd like to be able to dial it back until I get an acceptable compromise between temp and noise level.  Other than that, any recommendations for this little setup?

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #714889 - 02/13/14 08:00 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Connect the fan, directly to the filter.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

#714952 - 02/13/14 09:34 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I wasn't able to get it to connect directly, am I missing something that would be needed for that, or should they lock together?

edit: just tried it.  It seems like they would go together but there's nothing to hold the seal or keep them attached.  Gonna put it back how it was for now, since it seemed to work at least a fair amount with minimal leaks.

Edited by Inocuole (02/13/14 09:51 PM)

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #714956 - 02/13/14 10:24 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I use a clamp, like you have on the ducting.  Then is there are any leaks, gorilla tape that shit up.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

#714969 - 02/13/14 11:02 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Ahh I'll look into that, thanks.  For right now that light is way too powerful so I won't be running any of it for at least a few weeks.  That should be plenty of time to fine tune it.  Thanks again for helping out man.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #714970 - 02/13/14 11:05 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

What kind of fan and carbon filter?

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

#714974 - 02/13/14 11:15 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

It's a hurricane 435cfm inline fan and a skinny phresh filter, both 6".

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #714977 - 02/13/14 11:26 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

That will fit into it for sure.  Just get a big loop clamp like what you have.  The metal on that flange is fairly flexible. And then just seal off any gaps.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

#715685 - 02/16/14 05:22 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I've been doing some test runs for a few hours at a time to see how well the temperature holds up, trimming the ducting down and getting better seals, less bends, etc, but I've noticed a few things that I wanted to ask about.

When everything is on, I notice that the fan's vibrations along the ducting cause the MH bulb to vibrate, sometimes more than others.  Is this okay, or normal, or do I need to find some way to dampen it?  I believe it may be contributing quite a bit to the overall noise level but I'm not sure how to regulate that.

Next, I've tried my ballast at all it's settings but for now I've preferred to use the 50% and 75% dimming settings.  Is there any negative effect associated with dimming a HiD bulb, or would it extend its life?

On the topic of the ballast and the light, I notice sometimes the bulb will get bright, and then cycle back down to a lesser brightness before building up again.  I assume this is normal based on my observation of large MH lamps over my life but I've never had to work this close with them.  For the first hour or two of operation, is that a normal reaction, or is that something that will even out as the halides in the bulb stabilize over the first 100 hours or so?

Other than that, temperature seems good, I'd say it's hanging around 75-82, definitely can tell the fan is dissipating the heat effectively.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #715748 - 02/16/14 07:54 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Let it run for 12 hours and see where your temps get.

A brand new bulb will have some settling time.  But after a bit, it shouldn't be getting brighter and dimmer.  Run it at 100%.  There's no reason not to.

An inline fan really shouldn't be vibrating much.  Are you sure it's not the air current causing it?

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

#715750 - 02/16/14 08:19 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Oh, well, yeah I suppose it is the air current.  The fan itself is hanging by ropes so they should be absorbing any actual vibrations, largely.  So that's good and well then?

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #715753 - 02/16/14 08:36 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah I wouldn't worry about it.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

#715770 - 02/16/14 09:03 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

It does get a bit hotter at full power, I'll have to do some tests with that but I don't have a temp gauge right now so it only does so much good to speculate.  If it ended up too hot what kinds of things can I do?  The tent definitely has negative pressure, the sides of it bow in when I turn on the fan, but would opening up the zipper a bit to let slightly more cool air in ruin the effectiveness of the filter completely?

I guess I'm going to get them some silicon ASAP so I can have that extra little bit of temperature insurance and see what else I can do for now.  I now have everything set up so I can lower the fan, light, and filter simultaneously so that the ducting can be shorter and more direct.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #715771 - 02/16/14 09:05 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

It wont.  It should have ports in it that can open up to let air in.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

#715802 - 02/16/14 10:42 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

It does.  My only problem then is that the fan is a lot louder than I expected and it's started doing kind of an odd vibrating noise that starts out intermittent and eventually evens out to where it kind of buzzes every second rhythmically on top of the normal fan noise.  It seems to decrease for a second when I brace the fan to tighten the clamps but it doesn't go away no matter how much I tighten them.  Adjusting the position of the ducting seems to have small effects but I'm not sure if it's the cause.  I guess the fan would make more noise than normal based on the amount of pressure in front of and behind it, correct?

I would think adjusting the fan speed would help but then I have temperatures to worry about.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #715808 - 02/16/14 11:36 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Without hearing what's going on I can't really tell ya one way or the other.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

#715810 - 02/17/14 12:19 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Any chance of back pressure causing the fan undue strain based on the general setup?  I still haven't attached the fan directly to the filter, I don't have the materials I'd likely need to do so, but I'm certain I've seen other people with their stuff set up similarly.

I'll get a damn audio recording if I have to, for peace of mind.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #715822 - 02/17/14 03:36 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Back pressure shouldn't cause something like that.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

#715870 - 02/17/14 12:05 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Honestly it sounds exactly like the AC/heaters right outside. (the loud ass outdoor ones that pipe in to apartments)  So it may just be me overthinking how much noise the fan is making, since it is blowing at full speed, which is pretty hard.  It's not as loud as the dishwasher or dryer, that's for sure.  I'll set my mic in there at some point today and see if I can capture the noise.  It's just become kind of a drone in the background, wuhwuhwuhwuhwuhwuh.

Or maybe that's this nug.  :vaped:

Either way, perhaps ought to try to solve it.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #715888 - 02/17/14 02:09 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

What your describing sounds normal.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineThriceKing
Seasoned Green Thumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
    #721393 - 03/14/14 03:51 PM (10 years, 7 days ago)

Haha yeah I just set up my tent in similar fashion.  The 435cfm fan sounds quite loud when you're near it, but is a pleasant ambient white noise throughout some rooms now.

--------------------
All submissions are for informational purposes and entertainment only.

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

Re: Setting up a grow tent - In need of guidance [Re: ThriceKing] * 1
    #721439 - 03/14/14 07:42 PM (10 years, 7 days ago)

Yeah I leave it on 24/7 now and I'm very used to it.  Helps cover other noises while I'm sleeping too, which is nice.  Once I get another timer, or a timer-power strip I'm going to have the fan turn off with the light but right now it's just fine.  Power bill is a little nuts though.

Invisibledrawde
    #721568 - 03/15/14 11:50 AM (10 years, 6 days ago)

This thread is a wall of text so I've only skimmed over but I don't think this has been said:
You are spending all this money on gear and growing bagseed?
Why not spend the 50-60 bucks or so and know you are spending your time on worthwhile genetics?

--------------------
King Koopa said:
The amount of pot that Gask smokes is equivalent to a guy shooting heroin on weekends

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

Re: Setting up a grow tent - In need of guidance [Re: drawde]
    #721597 - 03/15/14 07:11 PM (10 years, 6 days ago)

Because I'm still learning and based on the health of my plants 5 weeks in I'm really glad I didn't pay for seeds, because then I'd be pissed.  Your question goes both ways, I've already spent this much money, why spend more?  I'm definitely going for proven genetics once I get the swing of things but I don't really want to go murdering some trainwreck and blue dream, you know?

OfflineBluntguY 207
That Guy
 User Gallery

Loc: North East Coast Flag
    #721767 - 03/17/14 06:54 AM (10 years, 4 days ago)

Right on!  I did the same.  Got some  cheap clones from a friend for my first couple grows.  Now I am on my third indoor harvest and thimgs are workimg out I ordered some seeds from the gorilla!  :aweohyou:

--------------------
"Self sufficient medical marijuana patient"

"I should be sponsered by Swisher Sweets":gethigh:

OfflineThriceKing
Seasoned Green Thumb
Male User Gallery

#722083 - 03/19/14 10:53 AM (10 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

Inocuole said:
Yeah I leave it on 24/7 now and I'm very used to it.  Helps cover other noises while I'm sleeping too, which is nice.  Once I get another timer, or a timer-power strip I'm going to have the fan turn off with the light but right now it's just fine.  Power bill is a little nuts though.

Uno momentito por favor...  You MUST leave fan going 24/7/365. Your fan is what's drawing the stank through the carbon scrubber. Turn it off and you'll smell like a Jamaican hotel room.

--------------------

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

Re: Setting up a grow tent - In need of guidance [Re: ThriceKing]
    #722235 - 03/20/14 06:48 AM (10 years, 1 day ago)

I don't have enough stink going on just yet to warrant it having it on 24/7.  I'll of course want to keep it on closer to when flowering happens but for right now it's not a big deal either way.  Besides all the weed I'm smoking in the living room is sure to take precedence if someone was gonna use smell as a factor.

Invisiblenight trainV
Male

Loc: Midwest, US
    #723070 - 03/24/14 10:34 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Just an FYI if you turn the fan off with the light the humidity in your tent will skyrocket which can lead to powdery mildew, bud rot and other issues. Not to mention they can use fresh air all the time to be healthy, not just when the light it on.

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

Re: Setting up a grow tent - In need of guidance [Re: night train]
    #723085 - 03/24/14 12:27 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks dude, I've still been leaving it on, so I guess that's the consensus, and I'll stick with it.  All good so far.

OfflineThriceKing
Seasoned Green Thumb
Male User Gallery

Re: Setting up a grow tent - In need of guidance [Re: night train]
    #723326 - 03/26/14 12:57 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

night train said:
Just an FYI if you turn the fan off with the light the humidity in your tent will skyrocket which can lead to powdery mildew, bud rot and other issues. Not to mention they can use fresh air all the time to be healthy, not just when the light it on.

Exactly. Can you imagine?

"We're pleased you're on our starship, human.  We will remove your air supply during your dormant period, as you appear not to need it.  See you in the morning."

--------------------

Offlinec1d
Stranger

#737417 - 06/23/14 11:54 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Inocuole said:
Here's a pic of the current setup:  I'm missing one duct clamp, so the ducting is just sort of mashed onto the reflector on the left side.  I'm not using the light right now or the fan so this isn't a huge setback or anything.  I should have another clamp later this evening, anyway.

(That's just some rope from my equipment hangers holding up that bit of ducting, nothing crazy.  I left it a bit long so I could lower the light, though it's more likely that I'll just raise the plants to the light so I don't have to fuck with it)

There's a few 90 degree bends in there because of the space constraints.  Does everything look okay for the most part?

I got up on a chair and felt the air coming out the top exhaust and it's certainly blowing pretty hard out of there.  It hardly seems like any power is lost compared to how the fan blows normally.  My next purchase is probably going to be a speedster for the fan because it's just a tad loud, I'd like to be able to dial it back until I get an acceptable compromise between temp and noise level.  Other than that, any recommendations for this little setup?

Thanks for that picture of your ducting, this part of the air flow is hard for me to visualize without having seen the equipmemt yet. Is one end of the duct connected to just an open port hole and relying on the fan to draw in air (thus keeping smell from leaking out), then running THROUGH the light assembly, and finally venting out another port with the phresh filter on it?

When looking at RVF's lights I notice what looks like duct ports on the sides, which had me wondering if they are smokehow linked to the ducting.

Great thread, I was going to start one with similar questions as here, but this answered above and beyond the knowledge I was seeking!

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

Re: Setting up a grow tent - In need of guidance [Re: c1d]
    #737429 - 06/24/14 12:25 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

From one end to the other, it's set up like this:

The filter is at one end, inside the tent, mind you, connected to the fan.  It's pulling air in, which creates a negative pressure in the tent, sucking in air from outside constantly (which means that air can never leak out of the tent, hence smell protection).

The fan is right in front of the filter, pulling the air through it.

Next in front of the fan is more ducting and the reflector, air passes through, then it runs directly up and out of the tent where the filtered exhaust is pumped out.

-> Filter -> Fan -> Reflector -> Exhaust port

Basically all the little mesh screens and stuff that make up parts of the tent are all intake, technically.  I do have one port hole open all the time with a screen over it to keep the hairs out, but allow air flow a little more easily.

Offlinec1d
Stranger

#737516 - 06/24/14 05:20 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Sorry for beating a dead horse, but in regards to your setup, it appears to go:

Intake port -> light -> fan -> filter -> exhaust port

Like the exhaust fan is just ducted to the intake port through the light, so it seems like the fan is just sucking outside air through the ballast and out the filter to the exhaust. Being that the filter is strapped to the duct, I'm confused as to how all the dank air in the tent is making it to the filter?

I've read tons of grow tent threads, and have yet to see a good example of a setup so far outside of your pic I quoted, but the filter being sealed to the ducting in making my mind melt.

Am I thinking about this completely wrong?

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

#737758 - 06/26/14 06:15 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Yes, you just repeated back about the exact opposite of what I just said. 

Again, the fan is blowing air into the reflector (which it sucked from the filter, which is inside the tent).  Each >>> on that diagram represents air flow.  I have no "intake port" (At least not one that you can see, unless you see that wide open ducting in my other thread right next to the colas), only the exhaust right after the reflector.  The ballast isn't even in the tent., I don't have any pictures of that.
To help visualize, imagine you're in the tent and you have a loaded bowl.  The fan is on and the filter is pulling in air like it's supposed to.  You take a hit and blow it at the filter, and it all disappears into the filter, blows past the reflector, cooling the light, and then out the exhaust port as odorless air.  Now that that's happened you open the zipper to start to leave the tent, and the wind comes gushing in at your face.  This accurately describes the effects you're looking for in having negative pressure in the tent.  You don't want any air to ever be able to seep out of the tent other than through the exhaust port.  That's why you don't need a specific intake port, the tent isn't perfectly sealed and is full of holes, all the surrounding air seeps inside constantly and all leaves through the top.  Basically if that room had any odor, even outside the tent, it would be scrubbing all of it.

Filter >>> Fan >>> Reflector>>>^^^Exhaust up and out via ducting.  All inside the tent except the exit of the ducting for the exhaust.

At this point the filter is connected directly to the fan, however, and most of the ducting is greatly condensed to reduce noise and shit.

Edited by Inocuole (06/26/14 06:26 PM)

Offlinec1d
Stranger

#737761 - 06/26/14 06:38 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Ok I I got ya, I had my terminology jacked up there before looking heavily into lighting systems, I thought the ballast referred to the reflector :smile:

Thanks for the explanation sir, I thought I knew what you were talking about, but that picture with the ducting leading to what appeared to be the back wall of the tent through me through a loop.

Thanks again sir, I owe you a rating once I get to that point of being able to do so :thumbup:

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

#737762 - 06/26/14 06:47 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah if you look at it in some of the pictures in my grow log you can see how it's a lot more straightforward now.  I didn't understand it at first either, as you can see earlier in this thread.  Once I hooked it all up and felt the results myself, I understood.

Offlinec1d
Stranger

#737780 - 06/26/14 08:27 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Cool man, I'm getting all my components together for a tent very similar to yours, so yoir thread has helped clarify the environmental factors a lot. Looks like you've developed a lot on your first run, I'm anxious for my time to make some buds shine :bigjoint:

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

#737914 - 06/27/14 03:04 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Eh. I expect I'll only fail half as badly next time. :wink:

I may have to use all my buds for hash.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale