Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

Re: Setting up a grow tent - In need of guidance [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #715810 - 02/17/14 12:19 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Any chance of back pressure causing the fan undue strain based on the general setup?  I still haven't attached the fan directly to the filter, I don't have the materials I'd likely need to do so, but I'm certain I've seen other people with their stuff set up similarly.

I'll get a damn audio recording if I have to, for peace of mind.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Setting up a grow tent - In need of guidance [Re: Inocuole]
    #715822 - 02/17/14 03:36 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Back pressure shouldn't cause something like that.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

#715870 - 02/17/14 12:05 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Honestly it sounds exactly like the AC/heaters right outside. (the loud ass outdoor ones that pipe in to apartments)  So it may just be me overthinking how much noise the fan is making, since it is blowing at full speed, which is pretty hard.  It's not as loud as the dishwasher or dryer, that's for sure.  I'll set my mic in there at some point today and see if I can capture the noise.  It's just become kind of a drone in the background, wuhwuhwuhwuhwuhwuh.

Or maybe that's this nug.  :vaped:

Either way, perhaps ought to try to solve it.

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #715888 - 02/17/14 02:09 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

What your describing sounds normal.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineThriceKing
Seasoned Green Thumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
    #721393 - 03/14/14 03:51 PM (10 years, 7 days ago)

Haha yeah I just set up my tent in similar fashion.  The 435cfm fan sounds quite loud when you're near it, but is a pleasant ambient white noise throughout some rooms now.

--------------------
All submissions are for informational purposes and entertainment only.

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

Re: Setting up a grow tent - In need of guidance [Re: ThriceKing] * 1
    #721439 - 03/14/14 07:42 PM (10 years, 7 days ago)

Yeah I leave it on 24/7 now and I'm very used to it.  Helps cover other noises while I'm sleeping too, which is nice.  Once I get another timer, or a timer-power strip I'm going to have the fan turn off with the light but right now it's just fine.  Power bill is a little nuts though.

Invisibledrawde
    #721568 - 03/15/14 11:50 AM (10 years, 6 days ago)

This thread is a wall of text so I've only skimmed over but I don't think this has been said:
You are spending all this money on gear and growing bagseed?
Why not spend the 50-60 bucks or so and know you are spending your time on worthwhile genetics?

--------------------
King Koopa said:
The amount of pot that Gask smokes is equivalent to a guy shooting heroin on weekends

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

Re: Setting up a grow tent - In need of guidance [Re: drawde]
    #721597 - 03/15/14 07:11 PM (10 years, 6 days ago)

Because I'm still learning and based on the health of my plants 5 weeks in I'm really glad I didn't pay for seeds, because then I'd be pissed.  Your question goes both ways, I've already spent this much money, why spend more?  I'm definitely going for proven genetics once I get the swing of things but I don't really want to go murdering some trainwreck and blue dream, you know?

OfflineBluntguY 207
That Guy
 User Gallery

Loc: North East Coast Flag
    #721767 - 03/17/14 06:54 AM (10 years, 4 days ago)

Right on!  I did the same.  Got some  cheap clones from a friend for my first couple grows.  Now I am on my third indoor harvest and thimgs are workimg out I ordered some seeds from the gorilla!  :aweohyou:

--------------------
"Self sufficient medical marijuana patient"

"I should be sponsered by Swisher Sweets":gethigh:

OfflineThriceKing
Seasoned Green Thumb
Male User Gallery

#722083 - 03/19/14 10:53 AM (10 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

Inocuole said:
Yeah I leave it on 24/7 now and I'm very used to it.  Helps cover other noises while I'm sleeping too, which is nice.  Once I get another timer, or a timer-power strip I'm going to have the fan turn off with the light but right now it's just fine.  Power bill is a little nuts though.

Uno momentito por favor...  You MUST leave fan going 24/7/365. Your fan is what's drawing the stank through the carbon scrubber. Turn it off and you'll smell like a Jamaican hotel room.

--------------------

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

Re: Setting up a grow tent - In need of guidance [Re: ThriceKing]
    #722235 - 03/20/14 06:48 AM (10 years, 1 day ago)

I don't have enough stink going on just yet to warrant it having it on 24/7.  I'll of course want to keep it on closer to when flowering happens but for right now it's not a big deal either way.  Besides all the weed I'm smoking in the living room is sure to take precedence if someone was gonna use smell as a factor.

Invisiblenight trainV
Male

Loc: Midwest, US
    #723070 - 03/24/14 10:34 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Just an FYI if you turn the fan off with the light the humidity in your tent will skyrocket which can lead to powdery mildew, bud rot and other issues. Not to mention they can use fresh air all the time to be healthy, not just when the light it on.

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

Re: Setting up a grow tent - In need of guidance [Re: night train]
    #723085 - 03/24/14 12:27 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks dude, I've still been leaving it on, so I guess that's the consensus, and I'll stick with it.  All good so far.

OfflineThriceKing
Seasoned Green Thumb
Male User Gallery

Re: Setting up a grow tent - In need of guidance [Re: night train]
    #723326 - 03/26/14 12:57 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

night train said:
Just an FYI if you turn the fan off with the light the humidity in your tent will skyrocket which can lead to powdery mildew, bud rot and other issues. Not to mention they can use fresh air all the time to be healthy, not just when the light it on.

Exactly. Can you imagine?

"We're pleased you're on our starship, human.  We will remove your air supply during your dormant period, as you appear not to need it.  See you in the morning."

--------------------

Offlinec1d
Stranger

#737417 - 06/23/14 11:54 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Inocuole said:
Here's a pic of the current setup:  I'm missing one duct clamp, so the ducting is just sort of mashed onto the reflector on the left side.  I'm not using the light right now or the fan so this isn't a huge setback or anything.  I should have another clamp later this evening, anyway.

(That's just some rope from my equipment hangers holding up that bit of ducting, nothing crazy.  I left it a bit long so I could lower the light, though it's more likely that I'll just raise the plants to the light so I don't have to fuck with it)

There's a few 90 degree bends in there because of the space constraints.  Does everything look okay for the most part?

I got up on a chair and felt the air coming out the top exhaust and it's certainly blowing pretty hard out of there.  It hardly seems like any power is lost compared to how the fan blows normally.  My next purchase is probably going to be a speedster for the fan because it's just a tad loud, I'd like to be able to dial it back until I get an acceptable compromise between temp and noise level.  Other than that, any recommendations for this little setup?

Thanks for that picture of your ducting, this part of the air flow is hard for me to visualize without having seen the equipmemt yet. Is one end of the duct connected to just an open port hole and relying on the fan to draw in air (thus keeping smell from leaking out), then running THROUGH the light assembly, and finally venting out another port with the phresh filter on it?

When looking at RVF's lights I notice what looks like duct ports on the sides, which had me wondering if they are smokehow linked to the ducting.

Great thread, I was going to start one with similar questions as here, but this answered above and beyond the knowledge I was seeking!

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

Re: Setting up a grow tent - In need of guidance [Re: c1d]
    #737429 - 06/24/14 12:25 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

From one end to the other, it's set up like this:

The filter is at one end, inside the tent, mind you, connected to the fan.  It's pulling air in, which creates a negative pressure in the tent, sucking in air from outside constantly (which means that air can never leak out of the tent, hence smell protection).

The fan is right in front of the filter, pulling the air through it.

Next in front of the fan is more ducting and the reflector, air passes through, then it runs directly up and out of the tent where the filtered exhaust is pumped out.

-> Filter -> Fan -> Reflector -> Exhaust port

Basically all the little mesh screens and stuff that make up parts of the tent are all intake, technically.  I do have one port hole open all the time with a screen over it to keep the hairs out, but allow air flow a little more easily.

Offlinec1d
Stranger

#737516 - 06/24/14 05:20 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Sorry for beating a dead horse, but in regards to your setup, it appears to go:

Intake port -> light -> fan -> filter -> exhaust port

Like the exhaust fan is just ducted to the intake port through the light, so it seems like the fan is just sucking outside air through the ballast and out the filter to the exhaust. Being that the filter is strapped to the duct, I'm confused as to how all the dank air in the tent is making it to the filter?

I've read tons of grow tent threads, and have yet to see a good example of a setup so far outside of your pic I quoted, but the filter being sealed to the ducting in making my mind melt.

Am I thinking about this completely wrong?

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

#737758 - 06/26/14 06:15 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Yes, you just repeated back about the exact opposite of what I just said. 

Again, the fan is blowing air into the reflector (which it sucked from the filter, which is inside the tent).  Each >>> on that diagram represents air flow.  I have no "intake port" (At least not one that you can see, unless you see that wide open ducting in my other thread right next to the colas), only the exhaust right after the reflector.  The ballast isn't even in the tent., I don't have any pictures of that.
To help visualize, imagine you're in the tent and you have a loaded bowl.  The fan is on and the filter is pulling in air like it's supposed to.  You take a hit and blow it at the filter, and it all disappears into the filter, blows past the reflector, cooling the light, and then out the exhaust port as odorless air.  Now that that's happened you open the zipper to start to leave the tent, and the wind comes gushing in at your face.  This accurately describes the effects you're looking for in having negative pressure in the tent.  You don't want any air to ever be able to seep out of the tent other than through the exhaust port.  That's why you don't need a specific intake port, the tent isn't perfectly sealed and is full of holes, all the surrounding air seeps inside constantly and all leaves through the top.  Basically if that room had any odor, even outside the tent, it would be scrubbing all of it.

Filter >>> Fan >>> Reflector>>>^^^Exhaust up and out via ducting.  All inside the tent except the exit of the ducting for the exhaust.

At this point the filter is connected directly to the fan, however, and most of the ducting is greatly condensed to reduce noise and shit.

Edited by Inocuole (06/26/14 06:26 PM)

Offlinec1d
Stranger

#737761 - 06/26/14 06:38 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Ok I I got ya, I had my terminology jacked up there before looking heavily into lighting systems, I thought the ballast referred to the reflector :smile:

Thanks for the explanation sir, I thought I knew what you were talking about, but that picture with the ducting leading to what appeared to be the back wall of the tent through me through a loop.

Thanks again sir, I owe you a rating once I get to that point of being able to do so :thumbup:

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

#737762 - 06/26/14 06:47 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah if you look at it in some of the pictures in my grow log you can see how it's a lot more straightforward now.  I didn't understand it at first either, as you can see earlier in this thread.  Once I hooked it all up and felt the results myself, I understood.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds