Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Setting up a grow tent - In need of guidance [Re: Inocuole]
    #714836 - 02/13/14 04:14 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Having all that ducting between your filter and fan is not a good idea.  It is going to decrease the amount of CFM it is putting out significantly.  You could have it set like this  Reflector>Ducting>Fan>Filter. 

Keep in mind though, the filter are meant to have air pulled through them, not pushed.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

Re: Setting up a grow tent - In need of guidance [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #714840 - 02/13/14 04:51 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Set up that way it would pull air through the reflector as opposed to push it, correct?  So I'd just want some more ducting on the other side?  That sounds feasible I suppose.

I'm thinking of just doing it the way I originally mentioned, Filter, then fan, then reflector, ducted out the exhaust, with duct in between each component, mentioned in order of air flow.

That's the best way, generally, right?

Right now I already have ducting clamped onto the right side of the reflector, and running out of the top of the tent.  Just fitting the filter and fan in there before the reflector should yield  a good setup I'd assume?  I'm just concerned there may not be enough room to cram the fan in there as well.  Would it be so bad if I hooked the fan up at the exhaust point and had it pull everything from there, starting at the filter hanging by the reflector?

Edited by Inocuole (02/13/14 05:12 PM)

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #714845 - 02/13/14 05:12 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

No you wouldn't want ducting on the other side of the reflector.  You want to be pulling air out of the tent.  So if you can't fit the filter inside the tent.  The way I mentioned is the best way to go about it. 

The whole point of the filter is to scrub out all the stinky air from inside the tent.  And if you don't do it my way, you will need the flanges, otherwise you will not be getting a sealed flow.  And that could allow stinky air to escape.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

#714847 - 02/13/14 05:19 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Edit: I got the filter and fan hung up inside the tent finally,  no problems there, other than I'm missing one duct clamp, so I can't finish right now.

The setup is Filter>Fan>Reflector>Exhaust

Also, a minor air leakage of smelliness isn't the end of the world.  I run a purifier in the same room as the tent, and this tent is so far from the front door, I assure you plenty more obvious smells are being produced in the living room regularly.  :pipesmoke:

I just don't want to damage any of my gear, as long as a reasonable amount of fairly-well filtered air carries the heat out of the tent, I could give less of a fuck if it smells just a little bit in the room itself.  I'll just take a few extra measures to seal up the ducting.

I can get some flanges as time goes on though.

Edited by Inocuole (02/13/14 06:03 PM)

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

#714858 - 02/13/14 07:18 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Here's a pic of the current setup:  I'm missing one duct clamp, so the ducting is just sort of mashed onto the reflector on the left side.  I'm not using the light right now or the fan so this isn't a huge setback or anything.  I should have another clamp later this evening, anyway.

(That's just some rope from my equipment hangers holding up that bit of ducting, nothing crazy.  I left it a bit long so I could lower the light, though it's more likely that I'll just raise the plants to the light so I don't have to fuck with it)

There's a few 90 degree bends in there because of the space constraints.  Does everything look okay for the most part?

I got up on a chair and felt the air coming out the top exhaust and it's certainly blowing pretty hard out of there.  It hardly seems like any power is lost compared to how the fan blows normally.  My next purchase is probably going to be a speedster for the fan because it's just a tad loud, I'd like to be able to dial it back until I get an acceptable compromise between temp and noise level.  Other than that, any recommendations for this little setup?

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #714889 - 02/13/14 08:00 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Connect the fan, directly to the filter.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

#714952 - 02/13/14 09:34 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I wasn't able to get it to connect directly, am I missing something that would be needed for that, or should they lock together?

edit: just tried it.  It seems like they would go together but there's nothing to hold the seal or keep them attached.  Gonna put it back how it was for now, since it seemed to work at least a fair amount with minimal leaks.

Edited by Inocuole (02/13/14 09:51 PM)

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #714956 - 02/13/14 10:24 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I use a clamp, like you have on the ducting.  Then is there are any leaks, gorilla tape that shit up.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

#714969 - 02/13/14 11:02 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Ahh I'll look into that, thanks.  For right now that light is way too powerful so I won't be running any of it for at least a few weeks.  That should be plenty of time to fine tune it.  Thanks again for helping out man.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #714970 - 02/13/14 11:05 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

What kind of fan and carbon filter?

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

#714974 - 02/13/14 11:15 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

It's a hurricane 435cfm inline fan and a skinny phresh filter, both 6".

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #714977 - 02/13/14 11:26 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

That will fit into it for sure.  Just get a big loop clamp like what you have.  The metal on that flange is fairly flexible. And then just seal off any gaps.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

#715685 - 02/16/14 05:22 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I've been doing some test runs for a few hours at a time to see how well the temperature holds up, trimming the ducting down and getting better seals, less bends, etc, but I've noticed a few things that I wanted to ask about.

When everything is on, I notice that the fan's vibrations along the ducting cause the MH bulb to vibrate, sometimes more than others.  Is this okay, or normal, or do I need to find some way to dampen it?  I believe it may be contributing quite a bit to the overall noise level but I'm not sure how to regulate that.

Next, I've tried my ballast at all it's settings but for now I've preferred to use the 50% and 75% dimming settings.  Is there any negative effect associated with dimming a HiD bulb, or would it extend its life?

On the topic of the ballast and the light, I notice sometimes the bulb will get bright, and then cycle back down to a lesser brightness before building up again.  I assume this is normal based on my observation of large MH lamps over my life but I've never had to work this close with them.  For the first hour or two of operation, is that a normal reaction, or is that something that will even out as the halides in the bulb stabilize over the first 100 hours or so?

Other than that, temperature seems good, I'd say it's hanging around 75-82, definitely can tell the fan is dissipating the heat effectively.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #715748 - 02/16/14 07:54 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Let it run for 12 hours and see where your temps get.

A brand new bulb will have some settling time.  But after a bit, it shouldn't be getting brighter and dimmer.  Run it at 100%.  There's no reason not to.

An inline fan really shouldn't be vibrating much.  Are you sure it's not the air current causing it?

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

#715750 - 02/16/14 08:19 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Oh, well, yeah I suppose it is the air current.  The fan itself is hanging by ropes so they should be absorbing any actual vibrations, largely.  So that's good and well then?

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #715753 - 02/16/14 08:36 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah I wouldn't worry about it.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

#715770 - 02/16/14 09:03 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

It does get a bit hotter at full power, I'll have to do some tests with that but I don't have a temp gauge right now so it only does so much good to speculate.  If it ended up too hot what kinds of things can I do?  The tent definitely has negative pressure, the sides of it bow in when I turn on the fan, but would opening up the zipper a bit to let slightly more cool air in ruin the effectiveness of the filter completely?

I guess I'm going to get them some silicon ASAP so I can have that extra little bit of temperature insurance and see what else I can do for now.  I now have everything set up so I can lower the fan, light, and filter simultaneously so that the ducting can be shorter and more direct.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #715771 - 02/16/14 09:05 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

It wont.  It should have ports in it that can open up to let air in.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleInocuole
The Wind Fish

#715802 - 02/16/14 10:42 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

It does.  My only problem then is that the fan is a lot louder than I expected and it's started doing kind of an odd vibrating noise that starts out intermittent and eventually evens out to where it kind of buzzes every second rhythmically on top of the normal fan noise.  It seems to decrease for a second when I brace the fan to tighten the clamps but it doesn't go away no matter how much I tighten them.  Adjusting the position of the ducting seems to have small effects but I'm not sure if it's the cause.  I guess the fan would make more noise than normal based on the amount of pressure in front of and behind it, correct?

I would think adjusting the fan speed would help but then I have temperatures to worry about.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #715808 - 02/16/14 11:36 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Without hearing what's going on I can't really tell ya one way or the other.

--------------------

-niteowl

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom