Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHime
Stranger

Re: Flower Stretch quest [Re: Hime]
    #702902 - 12/28/13 04:19 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

yep, tested the jobes in a glass of water and it does raise the ph... by quite a bit too. It takes a long time for it to dissolve also, soaking in a fertilizer mixture bubbling for a week and they are still pretty whole.... so shaking it breaks the slow release down and alkalizes my mix. Plus the tablespoon in each container slowly breaking down and raising ph. I think I may need to filter the chunks out of my fertilizer before testing ph and watering.

Been flushing with 3.6 water and the run off is still 7.3... its weird, my water tests 8.2 out of the tap... each 1/4 tsp of phosphoric acid is suppose to lower by .5... 5 tsps brings my tap water to 3.6, the first couple of 1/4 tsp's of ph down lowers about .5 and then from there it starts making huge jumps per 1/4 tsp.

one of my containers even showed a .1 higher after watering with 3.6ph water.

haven't done a full flush yet due to lack of dechloronated water.. it has slowly been lowering so I guess I will keep going with the same 3.6 ph water until I can get below 7... hopefully it doesn't surprise me with a large jump down.. seeming very unpredictable

--------------------
Livin, learnin, takin it easy :willynilly:

Edited by Hime (12/28/13 04:28 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #702903 - 12/28/13 04:43 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

pH is a logarithmic scale, so for anyone to claim it will work straight up like that is full of shit.

It also has a lot to do with how much is in the water, cal/mg acts as a buffer and prevents the pH adjustment from working, it will seem like its stable for awhile, but if you keep adding pH adjust then BAM the buffer runs out and the pH is free to swing up or down like the buffer is not there.

get rid of that jobes crap and stop adjusting the water so low. Go down to maybe 5 and flush with more water rather than watering at a low pH.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Flower Stretch quest [Re: phychotron]
    #702904 - 12/28/13 04:46 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Try letting the tap water sit for a day or two in an open container and see if the pH goes down by itself.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineHime
Stranger

#702915 - 12/28/13 05:28 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Ty for the response.. so the cal mag in the water acts as a buffer, I wonder if at a certain amount of ph down it causes it to dissolve and then throws the ph way down like that? It's weird too because 5 quarter tsps brings me down to 3.6 but a 6th quarter tsp didn't bring it down past 3.6 at all.

I've got a good amount of dolomite lime in my soil.. not sure how long it will stay in with the flushing I've been doing. Wonder if I should top dress at some point... I've got 1 tbsp. per gallon currently, plus whatever is in Kelloggs patio plus.

roger that, I think i'll replace it with something ph balanced like Dr earth... im mainly using it because it has billions of microbes. I might try powderizing and just adding very small amounts to my mixture, that way it dissolves instantly and I can adjust without threat of it swinging.

I let my water sit but it still stays at 8-8.2.. when I first got my ph meter it tested 7.8, now up to 8.2. may be time to calibrate.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #702921 - 12/28/13 06:28 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

The pH adjustment will only get you so low then stop working. If it did keep going it would be able to create an acid so strong it would burn through flesh. The pH calibration powder doesn't need to be mixed with an exact amount of water because they give you enough to drop it down the the baseline and then a bit extra. I think its borax that they use to get 4.01.

Different brands of pH adjust act differently. Some like Advanced nutrients works by the drop (to the point it can be hard to get spot on) and others takes loads of the stuff, like Gen Hydro. Heres a small graph I made that kind of represents the difference. They either use a different chemical or a different concentration.

Get rid of that crap all together--Simplify. If you cut that you and feed with regularly adjusted pH and better nutrients you should be ok, but if you keep adding a bunch of crap your bound to run into problems. Are you letting the soil dry out or are you so concerned with pH that you keep watering? Feed normally and see if the problem corrects itself.

That lime is what is keeping your pH from going down, your fighting the buffer capacity of it. Eventually the buffer will run out and then the pH will be free to fluctuate rapidly again, you'll need to watch out for when that happens.

--------------------

OfflineHime
Stranger

#702933 - 12/28/13 07:21 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Thank ya again for a great reply :smile:

I've been flushing the last 2 days(not a full flush yet) since I noticed they weren't looking well... I added maybe less then a teaspoon to the water of that jobes.. odd that it is having such a huge effect... must be some strong buffer in there for tomatoes.. ya guess it would be best to cut it out.

So weird... my run off after watering with 3.6 water comes out 7.3-7.6, then I allowed that water to sit in a plastic tub for a few hours, came back and tested it and it has risen to 8.3

I guess I'll recalibrate tomorrow and put another quart in each of 5ph then see what the run off is

that makes sense, it could be that my ph meter is showing .4 higher then what is actual and the soil is now about where dolomite lime would keep it... not sure why the run off rose to 8.3 after sitting though.

do you know how long dolomite lime keep the soil buffered? should I expect it to run out before the end of the grow? I guess so since you said ill need to watch for it... maybe time to top sow a little then

thanks again for everything bery nice of ya

--------------------

Edited by Hime (12/28/13 07:24 PM)

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #702937 - 12/28/13 08:04 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Ive never used it so I cant say for sure, but if you keep running stuff through it it will happen sooner. Its usually good for a few months, but running pH 3.6 water can't be good for it. In theory when the buffer runs out the pH will be able to drop much lower much faster.

what kind of cheap ass meter are you running?

--------------------

OfflineHime
Stranger

#703107 - 12/29/13 01:29 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

10 dollar one from ebay hehe

I'm pretty sure it must be off by .4 or .5 now... yea that wasn't a very good decision, flushing with 3.6 water... can tell the day after they look a little sour. Went ahead and flushed a bit more with 6.1 water to get that acid out.. it looked like it refreshed them a bit... time will tell.

Testing this jobes in another glass of water its showing that it is adjustable and seems stable, will need more time to see as it dissolves.

I think what happened was my last fertilizer mix phed wrong and then I ended up watering with 8.2 + food. Probably would have been fine after the first bit of flushing brought it down to 7.5 - 7.6... was probably on the money there.

I split 2 gallons of 3.6 with 4 plants(not again, referring to before).. waited much of the day ran 1 quart of 6.1 through last night because it was obvious that 3.6 wasn't sitting right(odd bending of the tips, slight purpling on some of the leaf stems, slightly lighter color) Then this morning I flushed 5 gallons between 4 plants... hopefully that was enough to neutralize. Thinking about putting another couple gallons between them just in case.

--------------------

Edited by Hime (12/29/13 01:30 PM)

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #703192 - 12/29/13 07:25 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Give you roots some time to dry out. At least a few days

--------------------

OfflineHime
Stranger

#703214 - 12/29/13 09:14 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Will do, big learning lesson here, thanks for everything man

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds