Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Something wrong with my seedling? [Re: TheUnknownPoet]
    #695912 - 11/28/13 01:10 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Other things that cause seedlings to stretch include lack of wind and the medium around the plant is not compacted enough, or too compact, but thats usually the medium being crappy not because you pressed the dirt around the seed down enough. I've never used perlite for seedlings but that may have something to do with it as well. Probably a combination of all the elements though.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTheUnknownPoet
Stranger

Re: Something wrong with my seedling? [Re: phychotron]
    #695918 - 11/28/13 03:32 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Pretty sure it was the light. The light was like a shitty 13 watt 7 inch tube.

I put a 35 watt with a reflector on top for the time being, and will transfer it to 400 watts once it gets bigger. hopefully this will work.

Offlinehamloaf
Biometric Precursor.

Loc: Back in the USSR. Flag
    #696027 - 11/29/13 12:08 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

You can put that seedling under your 400 MH right now if you wanted to.  Just hang the lamp 3-4 feet from the top of the seedling.  As the plant moves into full veg you can begin to lower the light. 

Transferring or transplanting that seedling out of that perlite and into a 1-3 gallon growing container using a light and fluffy soil-less growing medium is something to be considered.

OfflineTheUnknownPoet
Stranger

Re: Something wrong with my seedling? [Re: hamloaf]
    #696036 - 11/29/13 02:52 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Alright, so here's what I did.

I tried to transfer it to rockwool.

Note, tried. I sort of succeeded.

I don't have a small rockwool cube that you can put seeds in and have the root mass take up the cube- instead, i have a rockwool cube that is the next size up. It has a iant hole in the middle the smaller one is supposed to go into. Which my seedling won't fit.

So I gently washed off the perlite from the roots of my current seedling, and made a hole in the bottom of my large Rockwell cube at the bottom of the existing hole.

I put the plant's roots in that little hole, and since my stem was stretched out, I used the larger hole to support the stem with perlite.

So it literaly is a large rockwell cube with a large hole in the middle, that i put a smaller hole into, put the plant root in, and supported the stem with perlite, then watered it with water of a ph of 6.

Is this good or is my plant going to die?

Im hoping this would work, I have no way of currently getting small rockwool cubes.
I did this last night, and I woke up this morning and I took a look at it,and it seems to be doing fine. Not wiltd or dried up or anyting, in fact it seems more lush and green. I'll post a picture once i get access to a camera, but just from my description what do you guys think?

I plan on introducing this into my DWC system in a bit, and waiting for the second set of leaves to come in under my 400 watt MH lamp.

Edited by TheUnknownPoet (11/29/13 02:53 AM)

OfflineTheUnknownPoet
Stranger

#696043 - 11/29/13 06:41 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Alright, well this didn't seem to work.

The stem got REALLY thin.

Hmm, let me explain with pictures.

See the base of the stem? see how it's white and feeble?
Well, the whole stem isn't like that. The stem actually extends about an inch into the perlite, before the roots, which are in the bottom of the rockwool cube.

The stem itself, from the top to the middle to the bottom seems fine, however, there is that LITTLE feeble white part in the middle of the stem perhaps no more than a dew mm's in length.

The rockwool cube was warm to the touch, so I lifted the light a bit higher and added a fan to blow a genle breeze on it.

Is my seedling going to die, or is there a chance it can pull through?

Edited by TheUnknownPoet (11/29/13 06:53 AM)

Offlinehamloaf
Biometric Precursor.

Loc: Back in the USSR. Flag
    #696049 - 11/29/13 08:44 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

I don't have a small rockwool cube that you can put seeds in and have the root mass take up the cube- instead, i have a rockwool cube that is the next size up. It has a iant hole in the middle the smaller one is supposed to go into. Which my seedling won't fit.

So I gently washed off the perlite from the roots of my current seedling, and made a hole in the bottom of my large Rockwell cube at the bottom of the existing hole.

I put the plant's roots in that little hole, and since my stem was stretched out, I used the larger hole to support the stem with perlite.

So it literaly is a large rockwell cube with a large hole in the middle, that i put a smaller hole into, put the plant root in, and supported the stem with perlite, then watered it with water of a ph of 6.

What are you doing here?  Stop making shit up as you go along and stick to the methods of raising seedlings that have been tried and are true.  Gain a better understanding of how marijuana grows by getting a few more grows under your belt using a soil-less growing medium and feeding with a well balanced organic or chemical hydroponic fertilizer before you go trying to grow in a Deep Water Culture. 

The leaves of that seedling have gotten green.  That's a step in the right direction.  That first set of true leaves looks pretty damaged though from the stress of being handled so much.  Consider doing a little more research before planting more seeds in the place of this seed in case this seedling doesn't fully recover. 

The base of your seedling is fucked because the seedling's not happy.  The growing medium is either too wet or too dry.  Don't judge temperature by simply "touching".  Get a thermometer.  Adding the fan was a good move.  You should be able to bring the light back down to within 3-6 inches of the top of the seedling now.  The gentle breeze of the fan is enough air cooling to keep florescent tubes cool.

OfflineTheUnknownPoet
Stranger

Re: Something wrong with my seedling? [Re: hamloaf]
    #696079 - 11/29/13 02:05 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

So I just leave it then?

I've been reading a lot of articles and posts about germinating and growing seedlings in perlite.

Should my seedling recover?

As of now, the stem isn't really looking so good- the temperature seems to be fine, and my PH is ~6.0, but the leaves seem to be closing up.

Not curling or anything, simply closing. Is this normal?

The light is a standard 90 watt directed lightbulb, and it's about 7 or so inches away, I'm afraid of bringing it to close as it gets pretty hot and i don't want it to warm anything up again.

Should I just get rid of this and start a new seedling in a rockwell cube, or is it still salvageable?

The reason I am "making this up as I go along" is because i'm reading this will work in some places (using Google) and also, because these are legitimately the only resources I currently have. There's not much I can do about that.

Edited by TheUnknownPoet (11/29/13 02:06 PM)

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #696081 - 11/29/13 02:22 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

What do you mean standard light bulb?  Is it an incandescent? Or a CFL?

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineTheUnknownPoet
Stranger

Re: Something wrong with my seedling? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #696083 - 11/29/13 02:32 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

CFL. The twisty ones.

I'm thinking of sticking it under my 400 watter though.

Put it under a 400 watt MH light.

Planning on running it 24/7 for now, as I saw some people here recommend for vegging.

Bulb is quite far away, and there's a fan running to keep it cool.
Might make a cooltube w/ refector later if this works out and my seedling recovers.

What do you guys think? Is it doomed?

I'll provide an updated picture in the morning.

Edited by TheUnknownPoet (11/29/13 03:14 PM)

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #696091 - 11/29/13 04:04 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

It's hard to say if it's doomed.  The more you fuck with it though, the less of a chance of survival.  Transplanting during the seedling stage like you just did, is not recommended.  If it doesn't survive, that could be a definite reason it didn't. 

Throw it under your 400 watt, just keep the light about 3 feet away.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #696119 - 11/29/13 09:08 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
The more you fuck with it though, the less of a chance of survival.

From this photo it looks like two possible things--the transition from root to stem zone that is now exposed or damp-rot. It looks more like the stem-root transition though. If its damp rot you probably wouldn't have it standing upright at that size.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds