Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Re: I think it's time to go hydro [Re: resincoatedlungs]
    #678800 - 07/20/13 01:28 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Not really that I"m promoting it I'm just telling what I prefer after doing years of growing with both methods.

Quote:

would you say the cost is about even in the end for the amount grown, cheaper, or more expensive? If it's cheaper,

Well like I said earlier the cost is gonna be more at first but once going you use less of everything other then light simply cause it's a more efficient way of using the water and the nutrients.

Quote:

If it's about even, there better be noticable yield increase.

There are when done right. Remember not only are you delivering the water and nutrients more efficiently every time the system floods the pots the air in the geolite is pushed out. Then when it goes back to the reservoir new air is drawn into the geolite so not only do the roots get fresh nutrient solution ever few hours but fresh air also.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleresincoatedlungs
Brickweed Aficionado
 User Gallery

Re: I think it's time to go hydro [Re: Magash]
    #678802 - 07/20/13 01:36 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Well, then I've got a few more questions. :takingnotes:

-Would the container size for hydro be equal per plant as soil? (If I keep plants in 5gal containers for soil, how much room does that equal to in hydro? 5 gal?)
-How often are the buckets filled and for how long? How long do they stay empty?
-For two 5 gal containers, that'd need a 10 gal reservoir, right? How many GPH does the pump need to be and how easy could 10 gallons of water heat up with that pump?

--------------------
:psycho:

Man Eater

Edited by resincoatedlungs (07/20/13 01:41 AM)

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

#678803 - 07/20/13 01:57 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

-Would the container size for hydro be equal per plant as soil? (If I keep plants in 5gal containers for soil, how much room does that equal to in hydro? 5 gal?)

No, with hydro you can use much smaller pots. What is grown in a 7 gallon pot with soil can be done in a 2 gallon pot hydro. Simply cause everything is being delivered to the roots.

Quote:

-How often are the buckets filled and for how long? How long do they stay empty?

Depends on how hot it is in your area and such but you can go every 3 hours in most places.  Myself I flood every 2 hours. Takes about 15 minutes for them to fill then 15 to return the nutrient solution to the res the rest of the time they can get nutrients and water from the coated geolite.

Quote:

-For two 5 gal containers, that'd need a 10 gal reservoir, right?

No because the geolite takes up most the space in the 5 gallon containers.

Quote:

How many GPH does the pump need to be and how easy could 10 gallons of water heat up with that pump?

That depends on the size of the system and pump heat isn't a issue at all. Remember the pumps only run for 15 minutes at a time.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

Invisibleresincoatedlungs
Brickweed Aficionado
 User Gallery

#678804 - 07/20/13 02:27 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

My maximum under a 400w light would be 2 or 3 plants in 5gal soil each lst'd or scrog'd, you're saying I could just use a little over a gallon (about 1 & 1/3 gal, maybe 1.5 gal) per plant to reach the same size?

For 2 plants the way I'd do them, a 5 or even 10 gallon reservoir, and about a 3 gallon controller would work just fine?

--------------------
:psycho:

Man Eater

Edited by resincoatedlungs (07/20/13 02:39 AM)

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

#678805 - 07/20/13 03:01 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I've had a 50-80 gph pump sitting around for a while, that would just just fine then for 2 plants, right?

Yes easily.

Quote:

you're saying I could just use a little over a gallon (about 1 & 1/3 gal) per plant to reach the same size?

Yup

Quote:

So, for 2 plants the way I'd do them, I'm looking at having a roughly 1.5-2 gallon reservoir, and about the same size controller? Sounds too small to work well doesn't it?

I'd go with a 5 or 10 gallon res just so I don't have to fuck with it very much. With 5 or 10 gallons you would just have to add water once a week or so between times when you change the nutrient solution. Remember the plants use water faster then nutrients so the more water they use the more concentrate your nutrients become. This changes the ph. So once a week or so add some water and adjust the ph. Takes about 5 minutes with my set up and I have a 55 gallon res.

:potleaf:

--------------------

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

Loc: funkytown Flag
    #678809 - 07/20/13 07:15 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Yup Mag hit the nail on the head several times over. More yield, more uniformity, more control, less mixing, no transplanting, less pests. Every angle I look at it my garden would benefit. And I would get angry less

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

Re: I think it's time to go hydro [Re: GreenHorns]
    #678810 - 07/20/13 07:32 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I'm wishing my seedlings weren't in soil cause I want to change over now. I might just flower them under my led in another room just so I can get my hydro setup going as soon as I harvest this batch.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

#678812 - 07/20/13 09:18 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Did some more research and I'm sold on nft. Got my RES and an airstone now I just have to get the everything else. Hey Mag you know what common option for channels or troughs are?

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

#678817 - 07/20/13 11:04 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Hey Mag you know what common option for channels or troughs are?

?

For a NFT system?

What do you mean by channels? I'm guessing the trays that hold the plants and the solution runs through in a NFT set up.?

Sorry it took a bit to answer but I gotta sleep sometime :crazy2:

--------------------

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

#678818 - 07/20/13 11:14 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

No worries dude I'm not rushing into it. Yeah I see a lot of PVC but all circular. I'm wanting nice flush net pots against the channel so I don't have light leaks.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

#678819 - 07/20/13 11:22 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I've seen a lot of NFT set ups with rain gutters as the channels. Two of them glued to gether to make a square shaped channel. I never got to into this method of hydroponics cause of the pumps having to run constantly.

:happyweed::potleaf:

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

#678822 - 07/20/13 11:40 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

#678823 - 07/20/13 11:41 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Oh shit rain gutters! The part that folds down the side of the house would be ideal! Yeah the pump running constantly would be a risk to iron out.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

#678824 - 07/20/13 11:42 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Wont light on roots be an issue with that setup?

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

#678832 - 07/20/13 12:50 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Most likely but I was thinking of two of those glued together to form a square. You can cut the holes for the net pots.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Home-Built-Hydroponics-Unit-for-an-8th-Grade-Scien/step3/The-Troughs-beginning-and-drain-end/

--------------------

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

#678833 - 07/20/13 01:02 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Cool cool. Getting some great ideas. the more I think of it the more I think its what I'm going to go with. I'll post pics of the build in the design forum as this develops. Would be cool to just integrate misters at each plant hole to ensure total humidity in there.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder