Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePed
Relax

Updated 08/30 - Almost Harvest Time! - Royal Medic, AK47 - 1 kW MH/HPS - First Grow (Medical) * 2
    #676520 - 06/28/13 07:40 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Updated August 30 || Day 56:

It's almost harvest time!  Well, at least for the auto-flowering AK-47.  The Royal Medics, which are easily 3-4x taller, are only just beginning to bloom. 

Most recent pics:

Original Post (full updates at bottom of thread):

Hey everyone,

Welcome to my first grow!

This will be a medical grow.

The main objective is to realize the highest possible concentrations of CBD, a known anti-proliferative (anti-cancer) agent.  Our principle motivation is to get in touch with the cultivation of this medicine, acquire the skill, and to deliver the loudest possible "fuck off" message to any and all cancer cells, as well as address a number of other medical concerns.

I've been lurking these boards for a while, posting here and there, soaking up as much information as I can.  Now the ball is rolling, and I'm excited to share this first grow with you all.

The Setup

- 19 sq. ft (151 cu. ft) grow room covered with black/white poly from top to bottom
- Digital ballast, dimmable, 650w, 750w, 1000w, SL
- 1000w MH (veg), 1000w HPS (flower)
- Cooltube reflector
- 6" Canfan + Carbon filter (200 CFM)
- 8x 20L (5 gal) pots
- Sunshine mix #4

The Genetics

There will be two strains cultivated on this first go-around.  As an avid trekkie, I'm tickled to have planted five Romulan seeds on June 26, my birthday.  Ten of these regular seeds were purchased from Single Marijuana Seeds Canada. This strain has a great reputation for its analgesic effects, and its sleep-inducing effect.  Update: of 10 seeds ordered, nine arrived intact, and only one germinated, promptly mutating and dying.  The vendor has cut off communication

Expected in the mail any day now are 5 feminized Royal Medic, purchased directly from the breeder.  Royal Medic is a high-CBD strain, a cross between Critical and Juanita La Lagrimosa.  This was the highest CBD strain (and thereby the most notably anti-cancer) I could find from a reliable source.  Update:  Royal Queen also included a bonus seed, an autoflowering AK.

Germination

I decided to germinate the first five directly in soil, as this came highly recommended.  While germination rates are not as predictable with this method, I'm told that successful sprouts tend to develop into stronger plants.  Using sunshine mix #4, I adjusted 1 litre of store-bought spring water to a pH of 6.5, poured it through a volume of soil, and tested the run off.  This returned a welcomed pH of 5.5.  Five styrofoam cups were gently packed with this moist, unsterilized mix, with seeds planted approximately 1 cm below the surface.  Update: This was a complete failure with the first 5 Romulan seeds.  So with the next batch I used paper towel method with a bit of H2O2, as fungus seemed to be the problem with the Romulan seeds. 

Only one Romulan seed popped.  The rest quickly succumbed to fungus, in spite of two aggressive oxidation treatments.  All of the Royal Queen seeds germinated quickly and healthily.

Help! I have no water! Update: On the advice of the community, I installed a reverse osmosis system.

I'll keep this updated.  Thanks for following!

Ped

Edited by Ped (08/29/13 10:25 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefunnyfart
Strangler
Male

Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Medical Grow - Romulan, Royal Medic - 1000 watt MH/HPS - June 26 [Re: Ped]
    #676528 - 06/29/13 03:34 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Hey man, I hope ur grow turns out well!
I don't know how your finances are but when u can go for the osmosis system.

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

Loc: funkytown Flag
Re: Medical Grow - Romulan, Royal Medic - 1000 watt MH/HPS - June 26 [Re: funnyfart]
    #676534 - 06/29/13 09:08 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Sounds like a great setup. I would consider a fan that moves more air. My 1000w hps has a 430cfm and heats like a bastard still. I just fill up large containers with purified water from the machines at the stores for 25¢ a gallon. Not cheap but also not that expensive at maybe $10 a month.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

OfflinePed
Relax

Re: Medical Grow - Romulan, Royal Medic - 1000 watt MH/HPS - June 26 [Re: GreenHorns]
    #676624 - 06/30/13 10:12 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks guys for the input!

It's been four days and still no sprouts.  I finally gave in to my impatience, and using a sterilized pin I pushed aside some of the top soil.  To my relief, I saw that a few of the seeds had begun to split.  It's progress, albeit slow going.

>> I would consider a fan that moves more air.  My 1000w hps has a 430cfm and heats like a bastard still.

I would have preferred a larger fan as well.  However, the build was already significantly over budget and I could not justify the added expense.  On the plus side, I live in a cooler climate, and the room is situated against concrete walls which are about 75% under ground.  This makes for a much cooler space.

I did a dry run on the system through one 18/6 cycle, and found that the lumen cycle held steady at 26 C (78 F), while the dark cycle was actually a bit cool at 20 C (68 F).

I'm curious, is yours a cooltube/reflector or are you just blowing air under a bat wing?

>> I just fill up large containers with purified water from the machines at the stores for 25¢ a gallon.

How much water do your plants take?  I'm using 5 gallon pots.  What are you using?

>> I don't know how your finances are but when u can go for the osmosis system.

Yes, after much deliberation, I'll be making a considerable sacrifice in order to afford the RO system.  This project is already "too big to fail" (and certainly too important), and I'd rather my bank account suffer a bit than potentially delay the procurement of this medicine.

--------------------

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

#676644 - 07/01/13 05:27 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Damn lucky with the weather. My tent averages 80-81f with light on and 77 light off and ac set to 77f My electric bill is going to suck a life time supply of dicks this month :frown:
my light is in a ducted hood with glass. And I use 3 and 5 gallon pots. The 3 usually uses half gallon and the 5 usually uses a whole gallon every 3 days or so. One of my plants in 5 gal is a monster and needs to be watered every other day almost. But I expect it to yield big so I'll endure.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

OfflinePed
Relax

Re: Medical Grow - Romulan, Royal Medic - 1000 watt MH/HPS - June 26 [Re: GreenHorns]
    #676936 - 07/03/13 01:26 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

My very first sprout!  I've dreamed of this day for fifteen years.  If only this was purely for fun instead of gloomy medical woes.  It took longer than expected, and I was getting tired of staring at cups of dirt.  Finally, some green!

(I can't wait until I have some pics that aren't easily mistaken for a cup of coffee from a used car lot.)

Now that this sprout has appeared, should I raise it to the light?  Right now it's about 6 inches below the bulb.  Should I be trying to get it as close as possible?

The other four Romulans haven't shown any signs of making an appearance.  It's been a week since I dropped them directly into the soil.  Fearing the worst, I went ahead and started soaking the remaining 5 of those seeds on July 1st.  They've been in that paper towel for nearly three days now, and all that's happened is that they've darkened in colour.  What's up here?  Have I done something wrong?  Temperature is 25 (78 F).  I used a couple layers of regular paper towel soaked with sterile water from a medical supply shop (pH 5.5), and sandwiched it between a folded scrap of poly.

I'll be really disappointed if I don't get a least one fem Romulan plant out of ten seeds.  I've been really looking forward to that strain.

On the plus side, the Royal Medic seeds came in today.  Royal Queen Seeds dropped a bonus seed in there, an AK auto.  This time around, I'm soaking them for 24 hours in a cup of water, after which I'll place them in a paper towel and wait for taproots before I put them in soil.

That little propagator I built turned out to be less of an asset and more of a pain in the ass.  The air stone kept getting clogged, such that I was having doubts about there being enough fresh air entering the environment.  A couple times, it got up to 90+% rH and 30 degrees (86 F).  I scrapped it.

In it's place I built a loosely constructed box out of styrofoam, ramming the CFL light socket into the top. There's an exhaust vent at the top for rising air, and holes in the front wall for passive intake, partially covered with wet paper towel for humidity.  Currently it's at 74% rH, 24 degrees (75 F).

Questions:

Is it too soon to say the other four Romulan seeds are toast, considering that only one of these has sprouted after eight days?

What does it mean that the remaining five of these seeds have shown no perceptible changes after nearly three days in damp paper towel (other than their darkening colour)?

Should I try to get the one sprout as close to the light as possible, or should I let it settle in for a while first?

Is there anything I should be aware of as far as raising an auto-flowering plant under the same bulb as my photoperiod plants?

Man, I haven't had this "lol I'm a noob" sensation since the first time I went through the PF Tek.  That was back in 1999!  Anyway, just as soon as I'm ready to fire up the HID, I'll post some pics of the grow room.  :peace:

--------------------

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

#676941 - 07/03/13 05:37 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I'm not sure how long before they starts rotting. I'd say keep them at it. Wonder if there's not enough o2 in the soil? Your light is fine if its 6".

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

Offlinefunnyfart
Strangler
Male

Loc: Dark side of the moon
    #676986 - 07/03/13 01:21 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Klick
I always used this method, i acutally don't know why their not comeing out?!
maype it's to compressed in that sandwich? Just one clue
And when there small I just put them infront of my window

OfflinePed
Relax

Re: Medical Grow - Romulan, Royal Medic - 1000 watt MH/HPS - June 26 [Re: funnyfart]
    #677039 - 07/04/13 12:55 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I can't put them infront of the window because I'm in an area that gets a lot of rain during this time of year.  There's still another couple weeks of relentless gloom ahead.  The internal temperature of main floor also fluctuates a lot between day and night, especially when the sun makes an appearance.

>> i acutally don't know why their not comeing out

This morning, the last of the Romulan Seeds looked pretty dismal.  They're nearly black.  Apparently this indicates a fungal attack.

I germinated the Royal Medic and AK seeds in exactly the same way (6 in total) - sterile water, paper towel, folded in poly.  In less than 24 hours, 3 of them had popped.  Now, about 36 hours later, 5/6 have popped.  The first three are ready for soil already, and the remaining unpopped seed (AK) looks about ready to burst.

Suffice to say, my impression is that the Romulan seeds came with a fungus or fungals spores attached to them, or had been stored in such a way that they were highly susceptible to fungal attack.  Once the seeds from Royal Queen arrived, I could see a difference between them immediately.  The RQ seeds looked more vibrant, more vital.  They just had a healthier look to them.  Certainly they're living up to that impression.

In a last ditch effort to get some Romulan germination happening, I dropped them in a glass of H2O/H2O2 solution at 1.5% v/v, bubbling the solution rigorously to encourage H2O2 decomposition.  After 1 hour, I introduced an equivalent volume of heavily alkalized water at a rate of 10mL/minute to critically accelerate the liberation of oxygen, and drained this through a coffee filter.  The aim was to aggressively oxidize any invasive organisms without over-exposing the seeds.  The seeds came out looking OK, and I put them back in paper towel about 12 hours ago, this time using pH-adjusted water at 0.05% v/v H2O2.  We'll see what happens.

Can you tell I'm more into chemistry than I am into gardening?  Hopefully this proves to be an asset and not a hinderance as I gain experience.

--------------------

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

#677042 - 07/04/13 05:08 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

If you don't see any progress I would hit up the breeder and see what they will do for you. Seems like obvious genetic defect if just that strain is not germinating.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

OfflinePed
Relax

#677062 - 07/04/13 11:03 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

>> If you don't see any progress I would hit up the breeder and see what they will do for you.

Yeah, I agree.

Royal Medic, at 48 hours:

Romulan, at 10 days:

Same method.

--------------------

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

#677067 - 07/04/13 12:45 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I pollinated a plant for the first time some months back and the seeds from it won't germinate either. I put them back in for a soak for days and finally just put the one that popped a bit in a jiffy pellet and its sloooly growing. I'm wondering if its just a sign of poorly made seeds?

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

OfflinePed
Relax

#677206 - 07/06/13 01:13 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Stretching?  Question:

Every time I check on the seedlings, the stems seem to have increased more noticeably than the emergence of post-cotyledon leaves.  I've been reluctant to bring them closer to the light, as I don't want to stress them out, but at the same time I don't want them to stretch.  How much stretching is normal and how much is too much?  Considering that the CFL's are quite cool, giving off almost no heat -- is it better to err on the side of elongated stems, or on the side of too many lumens?  At the present time, the bulbs are 3-4 inches from the seedlings.

The RO system was installed today, which has been quite a relief.  No more water woes.

Here's some family photos:

The curling of the cotyledons seems to suggest the soil is too wet.  Is there a means to correct this other than time?

All but one of the seedlings here (the one in the smaller cup) are just 80 hours out of the envelope they were shipped in.  My impression is that these seeds are above average in quality, but seeing as how the dismally failed Romulan seeds are my only frame of reference, I'm not confident in my objectivity.  Let me know what you think using the poll below.

The frontmost left seedling of the lot (in the smaller cup) is the Romulan.  That one is 14 days from sowing (June 26).  The others are all Royal Medic, save for the rearmost seedling on the right, which is the auto AK.  In just 80 hours (July 3), they've caught up with and are rapidly charging past the Romulan.

The Romulan seems to be settling in nicely, deepening in colour and firming up well, but it's slow goings.  The remainder of the Romulan seeds are now visibly corrupt, my attempts to rescue them sadly in vain.  I guess I'll have to whip up a new signature and change the name of this post.  I emailed the vendor about it yesterday.  We'll see what they say.

The Medic/AK seeds came alive with such thrust that the emerging taproot forced the seed right up through the soil and into the open air, the husk dangling from the hooked ends of their taproots, giving the appearance of streetlights.  This happened to all but one of them.  Is this common?  Did I plant them too shallow?

Without thinking to take a photo, when I discovered this I immediately sprinkled some of the leftover pasteurized soil around the exposed portion of the taproots, misted them sparingly, and then added sufficient soil to even out the surface.  Instinct told me that the part of the seedling looking like it should be below ground ought to be made so immediately.  Was this the right call?

Even after the cotyledons had decisively emerged, the husks were reluctant to let go.  My feeling was that they've probably served their purpose, and that the seedlings were exerting themselves unnecessarily under their load.  Using a pair of H2O2-cleaned tweezers, and a great deal of caution, I carefully twisted the husks free, discarding them. 

A little bit of what looks like some sort of embryonic material is still clinging to this one.  It looks like healthy living tissue, which is why I decided to leave it there for the time being.  Is that the right call?

Poll: How are the Royal Medic and AK seeds performing so far, now at the 80 hour mark?
The quality of this seed stock is:
You may choose only one

Votes accepted from (07/05/13 09:05 PM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

--------------------

Edited by Ped (07/06/13 01:57 AM)

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

#677216 - 07/06/13 05:10 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I would pull the light farther. 6" is a good distance and yeah its normal for the seed pod to stick to the leafs at first. Stretching is normal but if they are getting twisty and floppy that would be a sign of light deprivation. As long as you've got nice even growth your solid. I'm not sure how moist the soil is but what I've always done is sprayed my seedlings soil till they were staring to get well rooted then switch to accrual watering. Makes it easier to keep moist without making it too boggy.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

#677247 - 07/06/13 03:10 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Just dont over Analise your grow . Just let the weed grow .
Put the (germ.) seed in soil. Water,let dry,water.Repeat that the whole plants life:stayfunky:

Edited by budgrowerwannabe (07/06/13 03:11 PM)

OfflineLONGPIG
Space Cadet

Loc: AOTEAROA
Re: Medical Grow - Romulan, Royal Medic - 1000 watt MH/HPS - June 26 [Re: budgrowerwannabe]
    #677282 - 07/06/13 08:47 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------
AOTEAROA

Edited by LONGPIG (11/24/15 10:56 PM)

OfflinePed
Relax

Re: Medical Grow - Romulan, Royal Medic - 1000 watt MH/HPS [Re: LONGPIG]
    #677370 - 07/07/13 09:37 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, I do have that tendency.  It's simply that I want to get the best results, not overlook anything, and most of all I want to gain a complete understanding of the process.

So, today was a really hot day, and to check on the temps in there I lifted my CFL's and peered inside.  I dropped the fixture.  They didn't hit the seedlings, but both bulbs shattered.  So now I have no light.

So I fired up the metal halide.  It's running at 600 watts right now.  Not wanting to bombard the girls too early, I have it at 30" height.  I've read so many times to wait until they're well established before putting them under an HID, but it's midnight, this happened right at the start of today's light cycle, and I have no alternative in the house.

Thoughts?

--------------------

OfflineLost Shroomerite
eruditio
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Wrong place, wrong time.
Re: Medical Grow - Romulan, Royal Medic - 1000 watt MH/HPS [Re: Ped]
    #677372 - 07/07/13 09:48 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Best of luck! :popcorn:

InvisibleCOOKED101
Eagle Eyes
Male

Re: Medical Grow - Romulan, Royal Medic - 1000 watt MH/HPS [Re: Lost Shroomerite]
    #677381 - 07/07/13 10:51 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I'm running seedlings that were started on the 4th and popped up on the 6th of July, only a day behind your grow, I've got them under a 400 mh about 24-25 inches from them, my temps are on the cold side 60f at night and 70 during the day (middle of winter here)I know it's early but they seem pretty happy under the air cooled 400 mh. I'll be slowly starting to drop the light down in a 4 or 5days, maybe an inch every 2 days and see how they like the 20 inch mark probably more like 19 with plant growth as it will be the end of second week .I'm a bit the same with making sure everything is as good as I can get it, this is my first try indoor so I'm just feeling it out as I go with plenty of study.

--------------------

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

Re: Medical Grow - Romulan, Royal Medic - 1000 watt MH/HPS [Re: COOKED101]
    #677388 - 07/08/13 07:22 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

It shouldn't be a big difference in lumen or spectrum cause they should both be pretty blue. Just keep an eye on the distance and adjust till you get new bulbs. You doing CFL or T5?

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale