Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

going to be starting sprouting seeds ..but got a quick question
    #662798 - 03/18/13 07:33 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

hey almost done my grow room. just started putting up the panda film and just got to run the duct lines and them im done. So I figured I would start the sprouting the seeds.. how long does it take them to sprout on average ?  I was figuring I would just put my seeds in a wet paper towel.. is there anything special I need to do? like keep it so warm or cold?  in light or dark??

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: going to be starting sprouting seeds ..but got a quick question [Re: Mrshroom]
    #662799 - 03/18/13 07:36 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Warm dark place, keep the wet paper towel in a ziplock bag.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

Re: going to be starting sprouting seeds ..but got a quick question [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #662803 - 03/18/13 07:54 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Warm dark place, keep the wet paper towel in a ziplock bag.

thanks hawk .. about how many days will have before I will have to put the seeds into dirt?

now for the towel .. should it be soaking wet.. slightly wet, or just damp?

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: going to be starting sprouting seeds ..but got a quick question [Re: Mrshroom]
    #662816 - 03/18/13 09:42 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Just check em every day, when you see a tap root plant it.  Damp is all you need, and you need to make sure it never dries out.

--------------------

-niteowl

Invisiblebabz89
Pupil
Female

Loc: PNW Flag
Re: going to be starting sprouting seeds ..but got a quick question [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #662817 - 03/18/13 09:57 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Be careful about too wet I've had expirence with drowned sprouts due to lack of oxygen with the paper towel method.

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
    #662851 - 03/19/13 10:34 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

i prefer to do it in soil. My germ rate is no different than the paper towel method.

i use a vented humidity dome with a heat mat when I pop my beans. I typically  see seeds starting  to push through the soil within 24 -72 hours

--------------------
"Marijuana may not be addictive, but growing it is" - ED Rosenthal

Maine Caregiver In 100% compliance with Maine state laws.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: going to be starting sprouting seeds ..but got a quick question [Re: Farmer Joe]
    #662853 - 03/19/13 11:15 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

To each their own.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

#662876 - 03/19/13 08:10 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

well almost been 24 hours sense I put the seeds in the paper towels, and nothing has popped yet. im almost done putting my  veg room together. Just got to run the exhaust and inline air vents tomorrow then I will be done and then and pop those seeds in the soil even if they have not popped yet.

oh and I will upload some pics tomorrow.

OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

#662878 - 03/19/13 09:01 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

hey just wondering what is the average time table to look at for a seed to pop around ?

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Re: going to be starting sprouting seeds ..but got a quick question [Re: Farmer Joe]
    #662892 - 03/20/13 05:17 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Farmer Joe said:
I typically  see seeds starting  to push through the soil within 24 -72 hours

same time frame goes for paper towel method. if your seeds are a bit old they will take longer to pop.

--------------------

OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

#662900 - 03/20/13 10:22 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

k well im just going to pop the seeds in the soil in my veg room.. I have two 400 wat mh im using .. should I just use one light for sprouting them or two? and about how high should I keep the light above the seeds?

or should I just leave the seeds in the paper towel?

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #662944 - 03/20/13 07:29 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

3-4 feet or so for seedlings.  One light will do.  Where did you get the seeds from?

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

#662983 - 03/20/13 09:47 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
3-4 feet or so for seedlings.  One light will do.  Where did you get the seeds from?

the seeds came from attitude. I planted 10 barneys lsd fem and two ace Malawi seeds  fem wich I ordered from ace them.

well around 4pm today I planted the seeds and found 2 that had started to sprout and a couple of the seeds looked like they were starting to crack open.. so it was about 40 hours for the seeds to start sprouting.

OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

#662985 - 03/20/13 09:57 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

here are some quick pics I took. Two of them are the before I started to build the room and the after pics

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #662989 - 03/20/13 10:08 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Get that ballast off the ground man.  Later in the grow that's asking for trouble.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

#662991 - 03/20/13 10:11 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Get that ballast off the ground man.  Later in the grow that's asking for trouble.

were would be a good place to put them? i wont be able to put them out side of the grow room cause the cords are not long enoff for that. Would hanging them off a stud in the grow room be ok? would that be safe to do with the ballast against the plastic and the heat that it lets out?

Edited by Mrshroom (03/20/13 11:03 PM)

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #663006 - 03/21/13 01:32 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Build a shelf.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

#663011 - 03/21/13 04:35 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Mrshroom said:

were would be a good place to put them??

with a room that size you may be better off putting them outside the room.  your local hydro store should carry extension cords for your ballast. my local store does at least :shrug:

Quote:

Mrshroom said:
Would hanging them off a stud in the grow room be ok? would that be safe to do with the ballast against the plastic and the heat that it lets out?

just mount a piece of plywood through the panda film into the studs. then mount the ballast to the plywood duuuuuuude.  it looks like the  back corners against the wall of your grow where the studs are closest together would work best.

--------------------

OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

#663115 - 03/21/13 05:42 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

quick question I been having both lights running and the room is only getting up to around 72 degrees is that to cold and around 48-50% humidity and that is with not having the inline fan running either.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #663117 - 03/21/13 05:51 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Nope, 72 is just fine.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

#663119 - 03/21/13 05:58 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

well I with having a 400cfm inline fan is that going to drop the temp down a lot? cause I don't even having it running right now just so I could get the temps up to the 72 mark...

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #663120 - 03/21/13 06:00 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Well if the temps aren't getting too hot you dont need to vent the light.  Once the weather warms up things may change.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

#663121 - 03/21/13 06:03 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

but what about the co2 levels I thought one of the reasons of venting was to replace the old air were the co2 has been used up and bring in air that has co2

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

#663122 - 03/21/13 06:16 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

ambient temps must be pretty cool for you not to have to vent with the lights on.  My only concern is how quickly temps will drop when the lights are off......

and yes.....one of the reasons for running a passive intake is to replenish the co2 in your garden.

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #663123 - 03/21/13 06:18 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Well I use separate venting for my lights.  You need to specify these things for me.  Then run it with the fan going and see where the temps are running.  Are you in a basement or something?  You may need to add a heater to get temps up. 

Where are you bringing the fresh air in from?

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

#663127 - 03/21/13 06:51 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Well I use separate venting for my lights.  You need to specify these things for me.  Then run it with the fan going and see where the temps are running.  Are you in a basement or something?  You may need to add a heater to get temps up. 

Where are you bringing the fresh air in from?

the grow Is in a basement that I built a  11x20 foot room all the walls have installation.  right now i have the vent to bring in new air from the other side of the basement. my basement is broken up into like 3 different huge sections. So i will be able to pull in the cool air from one side, and the hot air is will be exhausted to another section. 

Also in that 11x20 room i have a flower room that has two 1000 watt lights so im guessing that once i start to use the flowering lights that room will get warmer

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #663129 - 03/21/13 06:56 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

So then where's the air going to be coming in from the section your going to be sucking?  That would still be stale air.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

#663130 - 03/21/13 07:00 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

no its a different room in the basement..

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #663133 - 03/21/13 07:18 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

That's not what I'm saying.  So you're sucking air from another room, where is the air going to go into that room from??

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

#663135 - 03/21/13 07:28 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

oh that room is connected to the main hallway to the house so there is always a draft running threw that hallway into that basement room

OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

#663145 - 03/21/13 09:18 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

well i just checked the room real fast a couple mins ago now its at 72.5 so it is warming up little by little. and the humidity was around 45%.. is 46% to low? 

nothing has popped out of the soil yet.. was hopeing to see something thing cause yesterday i saw two seeds that i planted had just cracked open and had a little bit of a root sticking out.... or is it still too soon to see some thing coming out of the dirt?  also the soil looked kinda dry but did not want to water cause yesterday i did water it and was not sure if i should have watered it sense there were no roots to suck up water. ... but this morning when i did check it i did give the soild a little bit of a squirt of water from a water bottle...but still kinda looked dry when i just checked it.

OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

#663146 - 03/21/13 09:28 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

oh and two more questions..

1) i been running the lights 24/7 to help keep the room warm, is that bad for the seed when they first start to sprout?

2) should i be watering the seeds everyday?

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #663150 - 03/21/13 10:45 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

No you should not be watering them every day, but you should put some saran wrap over the containers so that the soil doesn't dry out.  24/7 is just fine for the lighting. 

If you put the wrap over you you don't have to worry about the humidity, that will act as a humidity dome.

Just be patient, wait for them to come up.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

#663151 - 03/21/13 10:53 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
No you should not be watering them every day, but you should put some saran wrap over the containers so that the soil doesn't dry out.  24/7 is just fine for the lighting. 

If you put the wrap over you you don't have to worry about the humidity, that will act as a humidity dome.

Just be patient, wait for them to come up.

k i will throw on some saran wrap tomorrow morning, just was nervous that the dirt would get to dry and the small root from the seed would dry out and die before i would even get  something to pop out of the dirt.

oh and just want to say thank hawk for all the help for all my questions the last couple months i been asking and you been helping me out with to get me to this point to be able to get my frist grow going.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #663153 - 03/21/13 10:56 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Make sure it's a little bit moist before you throw it on, you definitely don't want it to dry out.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

#663210 - 03/22/13 02:26 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

well I just checked the girls and I got 1 spout sticking out of the soil with the leaves in the air.. and I got 3 sprouts that are just breaking threw the soil...... now just waiting for the other 8 seeds that I planted to sprout.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds