Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 1 high wattage vs multiple lower wattages... [Re: phychotron]
    #652441 - 12/22/12 08:16 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Those are usually just a bunch of 1w's right next to each other. You also loose efficiency with the higher wattage diodes.  I would spread the light out as much as possible if your only doing one plant.

Not to mention that there is no single good LED grow light out there, ask any manufacturer. Your better off using 2-400w of actual power and '3W diodes' of varying wavelength.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #652443 - 12/22/12 08:18 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

and 120-140 is going to give you a wide footprint but little penetration. Your 1000w diode will burn so hot you'll probably need to keep it 3' away from the top.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Offlinecamplo
Stranger

Re: 1 high wattage vs multiple lower wattages... [Re: camplo]
    #652444 - 12/22/12 08:18 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I am about to rock your boat. I am getting 500watts worth of 660nm, and 100watts of 415nm, but I might say f it and just get 600w worth of 660nm.

Now the question was do I get one 500watt diode or 5 100watt diodes.
But I really don't want to have to worry about the heat 500 watts generates and I'd definitely have to do a cool tube. But I could probably get away with passive cooling using multiple 100watt diodes but then I was reminded that I have to have some kind of ventilation regardless to encourage FAE so now I am considering the higher wattage single diodes again....

A 500watt led would require a fricken 33lb heatsink....thats just ridiculous... And could you imagine the shipping on that from china since I can't even find a good american heatsink supplier!

ps -  and about the penetration. It would actually be better penetration than a HPS of matching wattage lumens per watt. You must understand that all of the light from the led is going down and away from the led while as a hps has light coming from something crazy like 360 degrees. So fricken atleast 180 degrees worth of light is pointing side ways or away from the plant.

Edited by camplo (12/22/12 08:24 PM)

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #652445 - 12/22/12 08:21 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Too drunk for this right now, I'll read it later.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #652450 - 12/22/12 08:28 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

you should throw some white in there to cover the rest of the light in between, people have been getting good pretty results adding them. Especially if your just going with 2-bands. But also, having white on a separate switch will allow you to check out your plants better.

I still think you'll be better off with 1-3w individual diodes. Thermal management is very important as it dictates the life of the diode. Check out heatsinkusa.com for finned aluminum. You'll need a rather large heat sink for those larger wattage diodes.

--------------------

Offlinecamplo
Stranger

#652460 - 12/22/12 08:45 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

The heatsinks for passive cooling of a 100-150 watt ledis surprisingly small actually. I mean go look at a passive heatsink for cpu, cpus generally run in the area 100watts and little above, like 120-130. High if overclock, like 230watts. But they still are cooled within the case of a computer....

About adding the white. I was guessing that something like that would be true. You know about better result with a fuller spectrum versus trying to hit the hot spots....But since you nor I have ever seen a grow with single diode red leds of 100watts, 200, 300 watt etc.... I want to be the guy who tries it out.

Most of those have a optimum lumens/watt junction temp of like 80c degrees or so and burn up at like 125c..... We do pretty good keeping down 120watt cpus to 80c and lower with small air cooled heatsinks and  slightly larger passive heat sinks.... I think Ill be aight IF............UNLESS..........I get a 300 watt.... My guess is that a 300watt led is going to make as much heat energy as a 300watt hps so its going to be like 562f in the core of that heatsink. But if other people are getting away 600 watt hps in a fricken closet which the bulb temp is prolly like 1125f...... then I remember the guy above talking about having to move the plants away from the light cause its too hot......So ok.....lets brainstorm....lets say a 100watt hps is in use.......how close could I put it to the plant.......could I have it touching the plant?

Edited by camplo (12/22/12 08:58 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies