Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibledeladude
king size
Male

can you recommend an led?
    #622259 - 05/11/12 11:39 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

i was looking into leds last year but researching them gave me a damn headache.haha figured i would give it another shot. im doing my big grow outdoors but i would like to grow just a few special plants indoors in my apartment for my own personal use.

i plan on keeping a couple mothers indefinitely and flowering about 6 clones at a time.

so im just looking for recommendations. i dont mind the price i just would like to hear what you guys recomend so i dont end up with a $1500 night light.lol

thanks for the help:grin:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: can you recommend an led? [Re: deladude]
    #622304 - 05/12/12 12:55 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Why not just go with a T-5 for the mom and a HPS for flowering?

--------------------
My best run so far

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

Re: can you recommend an led? [Re: Tank333]
    #622313 - 05/12/12 01:22 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Tank333 said:
Why not just go with a T-5 for the mom and a HPS for flowering?

ya for real. LEDs may be cool, but its more economical to just run T5s to veg and then an HPS to flower. thats what im doing on my current grow.

Invisibledeladude
king size
Male

Re: can you recommend an led? [Re: Pilze]
    #622341 - 05/12/12 06:44 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

because i dont want a t5 or hps. i want an led.
if i wanted to use a t5 or hps i would have stated a thread about them and not led.

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #622343 - 05/12/12 06:47 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

deladude said:
if i wanted to use a t5 or hps i would have stated a thread about them and not led.

Well then the question I would ask is why?

Not too many people around here use LED, but I know that there are a couple.  I'm sure one of em will pipe up sooner or later.  If I had more experience with em I would help ya out, but alas I don't really like the technology yet.  Maybe in a few years when the prices are a bit more reasonable.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Invisibledeladude
king size
Male

Re: can you recommend an led? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #622345 - 05/12/12 07:15 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

i want to go led bacause of their low power usage, long life, and lack of heat. a little spendy at first but i've read they will last 15+ years.

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

#622350 - 05/12/12 07:49 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

deladude said:

no need for the attitude. i'm just trying to help you out. like i said, T5s are more economical.

until LED grow light technology actually makes some big jumps, T5s are probably your best bet to veg plants. not many people use LEDs because they arent that good compared to the cheaper, tried and true, T5s.

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

Re: can you recommend an led? [Re: Pilze]
    #622351 - 05/12/12 07:53 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

http://www.357magled.com/

i ran across this recently. i too was thinking about saving up for an LED light for the same reasons, but i just dont think its worth the money right now. maybe in 5 or 10 years the technology will be perfected and LEDs will be "THE" way to grow. its bound to happen sooner or later.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: can you recommend an led? [Re: deladude] * 1
    #622356 - 05/12/12 08:38 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Ok, I truly believe that LED will be the way of the future but they are nowhere near ready yet. I'm in the Mendo area and at least 75% of the people here are growers. I've seen at least 25 gardens over the years switch to LED and every single one of them is back to HID lights.

Costumer service is pure shit with LED light companies mainly cause they are small fly by night companies. The large light and hydro companies wouldn't be stupid enough to miss out on it if the technology was ready or at least comparable to HID light. One thing I also noticed is that almost every one of these guys had some kind of problem with at least some of their lights. The LED's themselves last for years but the shit that runs em seems to overheat easy, or short, or just plain stop running for some reason or another.

Almost every one of the videos on youtube showing how great led lights are are usually put up by one of the led light makers or somebody that can't admit to themselves that they just threw away a fairly large chunk of money.

Last what do the pro's do? Any major seed companies using LED? How about professional growers of legal  stuff?

Not trying to be a dick here but I've been under the lights since 1985 and I just want you to get the most for your work.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinesamson
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#622411 - 05/13/12 09:11 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Hey y'all-

I have gone through one harvest with a light from Hydrogrow LED. I have only harvested 3 crops with HID(a 600w HPS). I had good overall results from plants i grew with the LED.

I am certainly not saying i am some sort of authority on this- again I've only been growing for a couple years and only harvested a handful of times.. But i was satisfied with the results from Hydrogrow LED. The harvested weight of the plants varied- I grew from seed and certainly there were differences i noticed between plants, as well as i changed my nutrient line(gave the canna line a try). so given, there were more variables in my grow than simply the light. However- i can say with certainty that 2 of my plants, after 2 solid months of veg, produced a tad over 3 ounces after drying. A couple (of theoretically similar genetics) did significantly less than that as well, and they probably averaged around 2.25/2.5 oz per plant. The harvests that i did with my 600w HPS averaged around 2 ounces.

Again- i am sure that a lot of the experienced guys here will do significantly better than me with HID, with higher quality as well as quantity because i am admittedly a novice looking to learn more. My only point is that the LED i have did produce some pretty good results for me. And as far as the customer service at Hydrogrow, i have had a positive experience with them. They actually allowed me to break their return policy because they had just come out with a new product that i wanted to upgrade to because they were having an issue with their older models being upgradable to be as powerful as newer ones... That was kind of a strange situation- I really felt like they SHOULD do what they did (being that a new product was released like a month an a half after i bought one of their products, i feel like I would have had a legitimate gripe with them if they didn't...), but the reality of it is they didn't HAVE to. So i now have a brand new product of theirs i will be putting into use in october when i get home, which i gotta say i am really excited to see in action. They have upgraded both the lens and the power source in the new lights, so i expect that it'll work noticeably better than what i used the first time.

So my only real point is this- I have enough faith and trust in Magash and Hawk and the other senior guys on this site to accept that HID is still superior to LED. But Hydrogrow LEDs product DOES work well. And it gives me peace of mind as far as safety concerns and heat control in my small apartment, as well as the reduced power consumption. I went to LED because i have heard so many horror stories of fires with HID, as well as the inherent heat from them- which in my situation is almost insurmountable. Its just not feasible in my grow space to have as much ventilation and heat dispersion as I would like. I have dogs so safety in my home when i am not there is my main priority.

S

Offlinesamson
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: can you recommend an led? [Re: samson]
    #622416 - 05/13/12 10:35 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

And given- my situation is not ideal. I would rather grow outdoors in nature, and after outdoors if i had my choice i would have significantly more space and grow indoors with HID. But with my constraints, LED seems to be a pretty good fit.

Invisibledeladude
king size
Male

Re: can you recommend an led? [Re: samson]
    #623101 - 05/16/12 09:00 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks magash you do make a damn good point and brought up some things I didn't know. Just really wanted to try them. Just made a big move and am living in an apartment for the next 6 months and really wanted to try them to keep heat down.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds