Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleorbital
New to this...

Advise on Algae, White mould (mold) and Yellow leaves.
    #621349 - 05/04/12 02:02 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

This is my first grow.

Background:
I have clones (from the same mother) grown in Rockwool cubes placed in 75x75mm PVC pipe, there are 8 per pipe and 12 pipes in a rotating wheel getting nutrient feed ever 3 days from a dip tray at the bottom. If I stretch the feeding any longer some start wilting, tried to stretch the feed longer, but have already lost 2 clones. The nutrients are aerated in a separate covered (to prevent algae grow) reservoir before pumped into the dip tray. During feeding each pipe pass through (~10mm dip depth) the dip tray once to soak up nutrient. The clones have been in this environment for 22 days. About 4 days ago, when making new nutrient, I added a little more Nitrogen because I diagnosed the yellow leaves as a Nitrogen shortage.

Conditions:
Average Temperature: 26.5degC
Average Humidity: 54%, going up to 65% during feeding.
Light time: 24 hour
Light type: 16 x 58W Cool Daylight (6500K) fluorescent tubes 1.5m long
Light distance: ~700mm from clones.
Air ventilation: Continuous (inlet via filter, outlet via light heat extractor)
Nutrients: A no name brand mix from a grow shop. (writing this makes me feel that this can be a weak link in my growing, should maybe go for the more expensive brand)
Nutrient pH: was 6.5pH since start, changed to 5.8pH before last feeding (read that Hydroponics should be between 5.2 and 5.8).

I hope this is enough info to help me, if not please ask.

Questions:
1) Some plants look healthy with only a small hint of yellow on the tip edge of a few leaves. Is the yellow leaves a Nitrogen shortage or something else and what can be the remedy?
2) I read that algae is not a problem for the plants and that it will only occur where there is light (see pictures), is it true that small amounts of algae will not bother the plants?
3) Should I do something about the algae?
4) Is the white mold (see pictures) a problem, if so, what can I do about it?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Advise on Algae, White mould (mold) and Yellow leaves. [Re: orbital]
    #621416 - 05/04/12 04:18 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Some plants look healthy with only a small hint of yellow on the tip edge of a few leaves. Is the yellow leaves a Nitrogen shortage or something else and what can be the remedy?

Looks more like nute burn. Nitrogen shortage would effect the leaf as a whole not start at the tip.

Quote:

I read that algae is not a problem for the plants and that it will only occur where there is light (see pictures), is it true that small amounts of algae will not bother the plants?

No it won't hurt in small amounts but it's still not worth having around when it's a easy problem to keep away. It can clog emitters and grows in hoses and can be a pain in the ass to clean.

Quote:

Is the white mold (see pictures) a problem, if so, what can I do about it?

Far as the mold I've never had a problem like that but going by the looks it can't be good.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Advise on Algae, White mould (mold) and Yellow leaves. [Re: Magash]
    #621441 - 05/04/12 06:21 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Physan 20 is a good cure for algae and mold issues.  You're keeping that rockwool WAY too wet.  You should not have that much algae on your rockwool.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Invisibleorbital
New to this...

Re: Advise on Algae, White mould (mold) and Yellow leaves. [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #621484 - 05/05/12 04:30 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks, the "Physan 20" seem to be for cleaning only and not to be added to reservoir, is this correct?

About the "rockwool WAY too wet", your are correct, but in the rotary wheel system all the plants get fed the same amount and because some plants are smaller they do not eat all their food. If I stretch feeding any longer I start losing the larger plants (already lost 3 in this exercise). The larger once do not have this problem, I'll keep this in mind for the next grow (all clones need to be equal).

Invisibleorbital
New to this...

Re: Advise on Algae, White mould (mold) and Yellow leaves. [Re: Magash]
    #621486 - 05/05/12 04:43 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Looks more like nute burn.

This might explain why the larger plants are not affected as much as the smaller plants, thanks.

Quote:

No it won't hurt in small amounts but it's still not worth having around when it's a easy problem to keep away.

It should not grow in my reservoir as no light get in there and my system do not have small apertures that can clog. How would you suggest keeping it way without harm to the plants?

OfflineMushrooMan420
Muncher

Loc: CA
Re: Advise on Algae, White mould (mold) and Yellow leaves. [Re: orbital]
    #621513 - 05/05/12 12:14 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Dang that looks nasty.  I would just take care of the issue and not try to get by with it...

--------------------
x:tongue:

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Advise on Algae, White mould (mold) and Yellow leaves. [Re: MushrooMan420]
    #621518 - 05/05/12 01:09 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

You can add it straight to your reservoir.  1ml Physan to 10 gallons of water

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds