Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineMiscusi
Grade 10
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Sunnyvale Trailer Park, C... Flag
Exploding E-Cigarette
    #609586 - 02/16/12 04:07 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

This happen right down the road from me :shocked:
I wonder if my e cig is going to blow up :nonono:

By MIKAELA CONLEY (@mikaelaconley)
Feb. 15, 2012

A Florida man is recovering at a local burn center after suffering severe injuries from an electric cigarette that exploded in his mouth.

Tom Holloway, 57, of Niceville, Fla., was smoking the e-cigarette Monday night when his wife heard an explosion from their study. She reportedly said it sounded like a firecracker had exploded in the house and she heard him scream, one of Holloway's neighbors told ABC News affiliate WCTI.

Chief Butch Parker of the North Bay Fire District responded to the call. He said a faulty battery inside the electric cigarette likely caused the accident. Parker described the explosion as if Holloway was holding a "bottle rocket in his mouth."

"I have never heard of or seen anything like this before," Parker told ABCNews.com.

Parker said there was no way to recognize the brand of e-cigarette Holloway was smoking, but the battery appeared to be rechargeable lithium because there was a recharging station in the study.

Holloway, a Vietnam veteran, photographer and father of three, reportedly stopped smoking two years ago and turned to e-cigarettes to kick the habit.

Parker said the explosion knocked out all Holloway's teeth and part of his tongue. The event also set fire to the room.
PHOTO: Tom Holloway was smoking an electronic cigarette when it blew up in his face.
WEAR/ABC
Tom Holloway was smoking an electronic... View Full Size
Working to End Female Genital Mutilation Watch Video
Pregnancy and the Flu Watch Video
Arsenic Found in Organic Baby Formula, Cereal Bars Watch Video

Electronic cigarettes have become a popular crutch for many who have quit smoking. The battery-operated smoking-cessation device simulates the act of tobacco smoking through physical sensation, appearance and even flavor.

E-cigarettes are currently not regulated by the FDA.

According to an FDA spokesperson, the government agency set forth its plans to develop a strategy to regulate additional categories of tobacco products in an April 2011 letter to stakeholders. In the Spring 2011 Unified Agenda (published in July), FDA announced its intent to issue a proposed rule deeming products meeting the definition of "tobacco product" to be subject to regulation by FDA under the Tobacco Control Act, which provides FDA with the authority to regulate certain categories of tobacco products, including cigarettes, tobacco and roll-your-own tobacco.

While the devices go unregulated, Americans who purchase e-cigarettes do so at their own risk, said Dr. Stephen Jay, professor of medicine and public health at Indiana University.

"These products, based on what we know and don't know, should be regulated now," said Jay. "There are no data regarding either their safety or effectiveness as an aid in tobacco-use cessation. Claims by manufacturers and distributors are just that - claims. The Internet is awash in pro-e-cigarette advertising [and] much of it is very misleading and aimed at vulnerable young people."

Dr. John Spangler, professor of family and community medicine at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center, agreed that the FDA should regulate these products.

"Anytime someone inhales a vapor of a drug administered by an electronic device, there should be strong evidence that the device and drug are safe," said Spangler. "I personally believe that the FDA should require safety studies on electronic cigarettes and should regulate their use."

Jay said he does not recommend electronic cigarettes to his patients because there are no published, peer-reviewed scientific data supporting their safety and efficacy. And because of this, the impact of these devices on the health of the public is unknown.

"First, we have no idea of what specific chemicals are contained in these products or the safety of components of e-cigs, including the batteries," said Jay.

There is some data that has suggested using e-cigarettes will make "real" smoking more appealing to youth.
Glass Table Explodes During Family Meal Watch Video
Exploding Phone Causes Bloody Ear? Watch Video
Working to End Female Genital Mutilation Watch Video

There is "the gateway problem and the dual-use problem," said Jay. "Will e-cigarettes lead to decreased interest in quitting for youth and adults? We have no data that answers these basic questions."

Spangler, on the other hand, neither recommends nor discourages the use of these devices for his patients.

"I tell patients that some people have found them helpful to quit smoking, but they are not regulated for safety or purity standards by anyone," said Spangler. "I also mention that impurities such as antifreeze have been found in some samples. Then I let the patient decide."

SOURCE:http://abcnews.go.com/Health/electric-cigarette-explodes-fla-mans-face/story?id=15645605

--------------------

"You cant arrest me, im high I cant understand my rights!"

Nanook said:
" People learn differently. Some can observe and gather what they need, others need to do it and experience all the options. One of those options being: burning down a mini fridge. "

Anything posted by me related to cultivation or illegal activities is purely fictional. It is intended for educational or entertainment purposes only.

Please help support the fight for Medical Marijuana in Florida

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleP-O

Re: Exploding E-Cigarette [Re: Miscusi]
    #609652 - 02/17/12 07:56 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I hope it wasnt a 510-T

(using one now)

OfflineMiscusi
Grade 10
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Exploding E-Cigarette [Re: P-O]
    #609694 - 02/18/12 09:33 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

It blew his teeth out and part of his tongue off, holy shit dude,

My e cig has been in my drawer since i read that.

Im smoking on a pack of marlboro menthol milds now :shrug:

Cancer might get me atleast i will still have my teeth and tongue.

--------------------

Nanook said:
" People learn differently. Some can observe and gather what they need, others need to do it and experience all the options. One of those options being: burning down a mini fridge. "

Anything posted by me related to cultivation or illegal activities is purely fictional. It is intended for educational or entertainment purposes only.

Offlinepunkrocker292004
Stranger

#609720 - 02/18/12 02:39 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

it was probly a mod with battery those usually the only ones that blow up and it happens so rarely op do you live near a totally wicked store by chance?

--------------------
on a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero-tyler durden

MHRB

OfflineMiscusi
Grade 10
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Exploding E-Cigarette [Re: punkrocker292004]
    #609739 - 02/18/12 04:45 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

punkrocker292004 said:
op do you live near a totally wicked store by chance?

Eh?

--------------------

Nanook said:

Offlinepunkrocker292004
Stranger

#609939 - 02/19/12 10:00 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

2057 60th Place East

Bradenton, FL. 34203-5078

4907 14th St. West

Bradenton, FL. 34207-2570

--------------------
on a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero-tyler durden

MHRB

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale