Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   OlympusMyco.com CVG Mushroom Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineEnoch
Botanist in Training
Male

What was the point of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas?
    #584859 - 09/09/11 06:01 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

What was the point of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? I just watched that movie again for the first time in a long time. I had forgotten how ridiculously pointless that movie was. I like psychedelics but I can fathom why anyone would do the amounts of psychedelics that they were doing. The whole movie was one random fucked up scene after the next. I just don't get it. I saw a documentary on Hunter S. Thompson that was made a few years ago. Throughout the documentary, Thompson kept talking about that weekend in Las Vegas like he had done something important or accomplished something. I know the book sold a lot of copies. Maybe I am missing something. Did Hunter S. Thompson found a new philosophy or was it all just a bunch drug induced nonsense?

--------------------
Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
Re: What was the point of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? [Re: Enoch]
    #584867 - 09/09/11 06:22 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

l - i - v - i - n. livin'

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

OfflineNizzyJones
Fight Evil with Funk
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhat North of Normal
    #584868 - 09/09/11 06:31 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

The nascence of Gonzo Jouranlism, man.

OfflineSteve Buscemi

#584871 - 09/09/11 06:37 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

It's a love story............... one mans undying love for acid and ether.

p.s.
fuck nixon

OfflineI_AM_SWIM
Someone Who Isn't McKenna

Re: What was the point of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? [Re: RasJeph]
    #584874 - 09/09/11 06:50 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

It's not a bunch of drug induced nonsense. It may seem that way due to all the drugs used in book/film.

There is a message to it though, and it's about 'The American Dream' -- which is a dream
that is mostly depressing, filthy, materialistic, and was a dream most Americans shared;
nonetheless it's impermanent. There is more meaning hidden in depth of the words though,
but not only that, it also captures the times they were living in; the counter-culture
movement. From rejecting the Vietnam War, gay rights, women's rights, and civil rights.
Perhaps you need to watch it while tripping to figure it out, although that isn't necessary.

If anyone is interested in sociology; especially the counter culture movement, I highly
recommend reading:

The Making of a Counter Culture: Reflections on the Technocratic Society and Its Youthful Opposition by Theodore Roszak

--------------------
:tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna::tmckenna:

OfflineEnoch
Botanist in Training
Male

Re: What was the point of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? [Re: I_AM_SWIM]
    #584879 - 09/09/11 07:04 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

I_AM_SWIM said:
It's not a bunch of drug induced nonsense. It may seem that way due to all the drugs used in book/film.

There is a message to it though, and it's about 'The American Dream' -- which is a dream
that is mostly depressing, filthy, materialistic, and was a dream most Americans shared;
nonetheless it's impermanent.

Yeah, I can see that. From what I understand, the main point of the 1960s cultural revolution was pretty much just that the American Dream is materialistic bullshit. At the end the movie Thompson talks about seeing the high water mark of the revolution in the early 70s. I do see the intrinsic value of the movie as providing insight into the counter culture of the early 70s. However, I do not understand why anyone would want to eat a shit ton of mescaline, huff a bunch of ether and go to Circus Circus  :shrug: WTF was that about?

--------------------
Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it."

OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

#584884 - 09/09/11 07:14 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I'm guessing you never been on a long term drug binge, or had the desire to?

--------------------
Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

OfflineEnoch
Botanist in Training
Male

Re: What was the point of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? [Re: King Koopa]
    #584886 - 09/09/11 07:21 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

King Koopa said:
I'm guessing you never been on a long term drug binge, or had the desire to?

Well, that depends on what you consider long term. I have never gone so deep that I couldn't come back on my own.

--------------------

OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

#584889 - 09/09/11 07:33 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

So you do posses the desire to partake in various drugs, maybe vacate while getting paid to stay at top hotels, visit the most fucked up places, and just have plain ol fun. Oh yeah, while getting paid for it.

The Doc might have exaggerated a bit with the drugs while writing the book, but the themes should be very clear to notice and understand without even concentrating on high fucking high he was. I believe drugs was what was being done, but he was also made conscious decisions, interacted with the society around him, and made clear observations on what he experienced bringing me to the point that drugs had little to do with what the Doc was trying to tell us

--------------------
Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

OfflineManitou
Indépendantiste
Male User Gallery

Loc: Québecédelic
Re: What was the point of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? [Re: King Koopa]
    #584902 - 09/09/11 08:11 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

He once said that he was looking for the American Dream in action, so mostly he is exploring it's limits

--------------------
Pour un instant, j'ai respiré très fort
Ça m'a permis de visiter mon corps
Des inconnus vivent en roi chez moi
Moi qui avait accepté leurs lois
J'ai perdu mon temps à gagner du temps
J'ai besoin de me trouver une histoire à me conter
Pour instant j'ai oublié mon nom
Harmonium - Pour un instant
--------------------------------------------

Invisiblenannybooboo
 User Gallery
    #584916 - 09/09/11 08:33 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

he was sent to cover the mint 400 and ended up getting caught in various other shenanigans whilst maintaining a powerful narration of the experience.

i'm more interested in the relation of gonzo journalism and the probability theory. . .  becoming part of the experience that was once observed, now intertwined. or something like that :crazy2:

InvisibleBlueBerry_SwisherS
Heart Slowed

Loc: Raw Headspace Flag
Re: What was the point of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? [Re: nannybooboo]
    #584949 - 09/09/11 09:40 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I got to the part where he's in the tub and the other guy is about to drop the record player in with White Rabbit, and I shut it off. It was not my favorite lol..

--------------------

Let food be thy medicine

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

#584975 - 09/09/11 10:31 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Enoch said:
What was the point of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? I just watched that movie again for the first time in a long time. I had forgotten how ridiculously pointless that movie was. I like psychedelics but I can fathom why anyone would do the amounts of psychedelics that they were doing. The whole movie was one random fucked up scene after the next. I just don't get it. I saw a documentary on Hunter S. Thompson that was made a few years ago. Throughout the documentary, Thompson kept talking about that weekend in Las Vegas like he had done something important or accomplished something. I know the book sold a lot of copies. Maybe I am missing something. Did Hunter S. Thompson found a new philosophy or was it all just a bunch drug induced nonsense?

The movie misses the heart of the book.  It focuses on the fantastic and flashy at the expense of the story and observations made in the book.  The drugs definitely helped sell the book and make the event but what Thompson was reflecting wasn't really about partying when you look deeper.

The above comments do a good job pointing at some of its important themes, so I won't rehash them.

--------------------
I am not a cannabis grower.  I find the cannabis growers to be the most open to experimenting and sharing out of all of the different botany groups I enjoy.  I frequently use the suggestions that I find to apply to own organic gardening and food production.

OfflineEnoch
Botanist in Training
Male

Re: What was the point of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? [Re: CrayolaHalls]
    #584981 - 09/09/11 10:37 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

The movie misses the heart of the book.
Quote:

Yeah, movies rarely live up to the book.

--------------------

OfflineManitou
Indépendantiste
Male User Gallery

#584994 - 09/09/11 10:59 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Just so people know, the book is based on a true story, that Hunter S. Thompson & Oscar Zeta Acosta did while Thompson was still working for Rolling Stones, lots of things were exaggerated, like Adrenochron and stuff, but the whole main skeleton of the story is true. Probably a lots of dialogs are also based on their experience.

As Thompson once said, "What I write is fiction, but to me, the best fiction is the one that is the closest to reality."

Wise words from :hst:

--------------------

OfflineEnoch
Botanist in Training
Male

Re: What was the point of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? [Re: Manitou]
    #585005 - 09/09/11 11:20 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I just do not get the lets-eat-a-couple-sheets-of-acid-and-an-ounce-of-mescaline mentallity. There is a right way to do psychedelics and a wrong way. I think this movie mostly depited the wrong way.

Apparently, Hunter S. Thompson revered peyote until the time of his death. At his funneral his ashes were fired from a cannon atop a 153-foot tower of his own design in the shape of a double thumbed fist clutching a peyote button. That is pretty fucking cool.

--------------------

Offline420smoker
Baker
Male

Loc: Marijuanaville
    #585008 - 09/09/11 11:24 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

The thing i never got was when they were driving in the desert in the beginning and Gonzo starts having convulsions and then he talks about Savage Henry and waves around the gun, who the fuck is savage henry?  Anyone?

OfflineSteve Buscemi

Re: What was the point of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? [Re: 420smoker]
    #585012 - 09/09/11 11:33 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

When you go on a crazy drug binge you tend to yell all kinds of crazy shit.......... Once heard a friend yell out "my daddies a chicken farmer and I suck his dick" while we were blind drunk and eating shrooms, then we all started yelling it for what seemed like an hour.

Edited by Steve Buscemi (09/09/11 11:39 PM)

OfflineManitou
Indépendantiste
Male User Gallery

Re: What was the point of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? [Re: 420smoker] * 1
    #585019 - 09/10/11 12:00 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

420smoker said:
The thing i never got was when they were driving in the desert in the beginning and Gonzo starts having convulsions and then he talks about Savage Henry and waves around the gun, who the fuck is savage henry?  Anyone?

They just want to scare the shit out of the kid who was hitchhiking

--------------------

InvisibleiwasaClown
Imagining.
Male

#585034 - 09/10/11 02:07 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Cocaine's a hell of a drug.

--------------------
"...And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual."

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
Re: What was the point of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? [Re: iwasaClown]
    #585074 - 09/10/11 07:32 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

iwasaClown said:
Cocaine's a hell of a drug.

You see what Gooooooooooooood just did to us man!?

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

InvisibleiStoner
Astral Beast
Male

#585184 - 09/10/11 03:01 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Gaskelort said:
He once said that he was looking for the American Dream in action, so mostly he is exploring it's limits

yeah i was going to say, it's the journey into the american dream.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   OlympusMyco.com CVG Mushroom Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder