Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMonsignorBerric
Om Shanti Om

Loc: The Void
Problem with my first hydro set up?
    #561209 - 06/02/11 01:23 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I made my first hydro system the other day :vaped: Just a simple dwc

I set it up last night with the rock wool cubes and hydroton, measured out the nutes and everything. So this morning I check it and there's this bubble foam accumulating on top of the water.
Is this normal?? All the dwc systems I've seen don't have this froth floating.

I was also wondering if I could put in a little bit of hydrogen peroxide to keep the water clean.

--------------------
:egyptian:
Every man and every woman is a star
There is no law beyond Do what thou wilt
Love is the law, love under will
"Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains." -The Book of the Law 2:9

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: Problem with my first hydro set up? [Re: MonsignorBerric]
    #561259 - 06/02/11 03:05 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I started getting a foam on the top of our rez when we added the Roots Organic "Oregonism"... I just used a spray bottle to get rid of the foam and it would dissapear...

--------------------
My best run so far

Invisiblewishcouldeletethis
Female User Gallery

Re: Problem with my first hydro set up? *DELETED* [Re: MonsignorBerric]
    #561261 - 06/02/11 03:06 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by lampshadehelmet

Reason for deletion: d

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Re: Problem with my first hydro set up? [Re: wishcouldeletethis]
    #561264 - 06/02/11 03:11 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

lampshadehelmet said:
Foam is the pre-cursor to algae and rotten roots. You have temps that are too high and insufficient air being pumped...as well be sure you have no light leaks.

keep temps under 80 and devote 2watts air pump per gallon water. Hydrogen is not a solution to anything.

What about the foam that appeared after I innocculated with the mychhorizae and trichoderma? Is that something I should worry about? My rez temps aren't too high, and I have plenty of air being pumped...

--------------------
My best run so far

Female User Gallery

Re: Problem with my first hydro set up? *DELETED* [Re: Tank333]
    #561265 - 06/02/11 03:14 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#561278 - 06/02/11 03:43 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Well, it HAS turned the sides of the rez slimy, but it has also doubled the amount of roots on both of the girls!

There's a bit of sludge from it in the bottom of the bucket still, too. We are going to be changing the rez tonight, and I'm wondering if I should clean this out, or leave it there, as its supposed to be beneficial fungi??

--------------------
My best run so far

OfflineMonsignorBerric
Om Shanti Om

#561308 - 06/02/11 04:50 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

lampshadehelmet said:
Foam is the pre-cursor to algae and rotten roots. You have temps that are too high and insufficient air being pumped...as well be sure you have no light leaks.

keep temps under 80 and devote 2watts air pump per gallon water. Hydrogen is not a solution to anything.

Thanks

I'll get a more powerful air pump then. I have 4 watts for 4 2/5 gallons.
The temp. is a pretty steady 80F up above where the lights are, but the water is about 75F.

Besides keeping the temp down and having good air flow, what else can you do to prevent algae?

--------------------
"Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains." -The Book of the Law 2:9

Invisiblestarrider

#561698 - 06/03/11 09:18 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Hydroperoxide is a way to cure algae. Use 5-10ml per 1 gal of water. I don't know where you got your info but need to red a lot more. A good way to keep algae down is to use solid coloured tubs and solid coloured tubing. Other than that keep an eye on it and you won't have ant problems.

--------------------
"If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite."

William Blake

Anything  I write is a lie. Any picture I post is a fake. I only write for entertainment.

Female User Gallery

Re: Problem with my first hydro set up? *DELETED* [Re: starrider]
    #561726 - 06/03/11 11:34 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

OfflineMonsignorBerric
Om Shanti Om

#561884 - 06/04/11 03:38 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

So then as long as it's completely dark and there's no light leaking into the reservoir I should be ok with algae. Can anything else grow without light?

And how often are you supposed to change the water?

--------------------

Female User Gallery

#561893 - 06/04/11 04:19 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

OfflineMonsignorBerric
Om Shanti Om

#562249 - 06/05/11 06:50 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks

Quote:

lampshadehelmet said:
another common method is once you have added back the same amount of water as your reservoir holds.

What do you mean? lol

--------------------

Female User Gallery

#562314 - 06/06/11 05:54 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

OfflineMonsignorBerric
Om Shanti Om

#562384 - 06/06/11 12:48 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Oh ok, got it

--------------------

Invisiblestarrider

#564618 - 06/15/11 12:13 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Would disagree with you. Been using and no algae. Sounds like you need to read a lot as well. It's listed in several books as a way to keep the water clean.

--------------------
"If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite."

William Blake

Anything  I write is a lie. Any picture I post is a fake. I only write for entertainment.

Female User Gallery

Re: Problem with my first hydro set up? *DELETED* [Re: starrider]
    #564686 - 06/15/11 05:52 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Edited by wishcouldeletethis (06/15/11 05:54 PM)

OfflineMonsignorBerric
Om Shanti Om

#564699 - 06/15/11 06:31 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I won't even comment on that little bit about prayer and god........................................... :facepalm:  :nonono:  :crying:  :sad:

But let's keep this positive and not fight :laugh:  :peace: ... algae is a plant. So no light = no algae. I dropped a little bit of peroxide in my reservoir because I also heard from the owner of my local hydro store** that it prevents algae, but as lampshade said you should go for prevention not treatment. So it seems to me first and foremost, NO light. Then air and water temp. comes second. But if there's no light then you won't have to worry about algae (correct?)

** He also told me that I had what I think he called "biofilm", (looks just like algae but it's brownish not green) not algae. I was told that "biofilm" is harmless in a hydro system unlike algae. Since then however I increased the airflow and painted some spots where light was leaking in. I wiped off the biofilm and it hasn't come back, and so far no algae

--------------------

OfflineMonsignorBerric
Om Shanti Om

#564947 - 06/16/11 07:05 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I've got another problem now that I saw coming. The roots are starting to get tangled in each other. I'm using a single 5 gallon bucket and I've got 4, 2" net pots with 3 cannabis plants and a broccoli plant. I just broke one of the roots of the broccoli trying to get it untangled from the cannabis.
Will this be a serious problem later on? Or is it alright if the roots get a little tangled? It's because 1) the bucket is too small for 4 plants of course, and 2) the roots are so light that the air bubbles can easily push them all around.
I'm only gonna veg them for 4 weeks, and this is pretty much an experiment that I'm hoping to get some bud and broccoli out of :laugh: :discorex:

--------------------

Female User Gallery

#565074 - 06/17/11 11:34 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Invisiblestarrider

#565137 - 06/17/11 03:51 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I trim my roots so they don't get sucked into the pump. So far I haven't any problems. The plants are healthy and are 4ft. that is as high as I can go.

--------------------

William Blake

OfflineMonsignorBerric
Om Shanti Om

Re: Problem with my first hydro set up? [Re: starrider]
    #565447 - 06/18/11 03:58 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

lampshadehelmet said:
I would not veg 5 plants in one 5 gallon bucket for a month... unless they are different strains and you just want variety, because it is not going to yield any better cramming that many together. I know nothing about growing broccoli so cannot help there.

One plant is going to take over the entire bucket on its own, so I really think you are making a headache for yourself. As far as roots do not worry about them in DWC as they are immersed, whereas in aero systems etc..the innards of the root mass can be starved since you only mist the outer edge. You can cut/rip/tear/ roots quite a bit without any ill effect on the plant, they are more hardy than you would think. Even young clones, as I generally double load an ez cloner and when they are rooted, I tear them apart like velcro...I'm serious and they don't mind it a bit.

Perhaps choose the best plants and shoot for 2 at the most in the bucket and flower around 6"?

You must really like your broccoli, ha :smile:

Lol ya, I'm a vegetarian
Since I started from seed I'll have to take out at least one, and the broccoli I might transfer into a smaller dwc bucket. And ya this is an experiment for my first time, so I might just leave the broccoli in there with 2 cannabis and see what happens. I'll also probably need to go and trim the roots in the future too, now that I know they're so strong. Flowering at 6 inches sounds good they're 4.5 inches now and 16 days old, had them on 24/0 for the first 2 weeks, now they're on 18/6. Ty for the advice

--------------------

OfflineBlueberry420
Stranger
    #629713 - 06/28/12 05:29 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I know for a fact that if you use Subculture M&B you can not use H2O2 or u will kill the SubM&B and it foams up as soon as u put ether together.

I just had foam a lot of foam yesterday, i did a change two days ago so I had to do it again but everything is ok now. I think the clones I got from a friend had H2O2 in the cubes so it killed my sub. Be carefull.
My water temp was way cold and had lots of bubbles. Hope this gave you some Knolage

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies