Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
Re: THE SOOOO-CIOOOOOL-OGYYY THHHREEEAAAD!!!1 [Re: Blazed as]
    #560607 - 06/01/11 07:13 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I think I can agree with the gist of what you say, but my implementation would be no doubt be different.

Quote:

If we provide the necessities to all people no one would steal because they have what they need to survive.

Doesn't Australia have a rather thriving welfare state? And isn't there still crime?

My point being, giving people stuff isn't going to stop crime, just create a sense of entitlement which can lead to worse economic and social problems.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesmurf_master
Master Smurf

Loc: Everywhere Flag
Re: THE SOOOO-CIOOOOOL-OGYYY THHHREEEAAAD!!!1 [Re: DungenessDank]
    #560675 - 06/01/11 11:18 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Nasa's budget for 2010 was 18.724 billion dollars. Instead of turning our eyes upwards we should first focus on fixing our own planet.

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Re: THE SOOOO-CIOOOOOL-OGYYY THHHREEEAAAD!!!1 [Re: smurf_master]
    #560684 - 06/01/11 11:35 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

There is no way we can sustain our planet with our current rate of growth. We should be focusing on opportunities elsewhere in the galaxy, while reducing our population and extending the average human life. We can be stewards of the planet, but it is a fact that this planet will not exist forever. It would be nice if we had it in pristine condition but to say we should sacrifice space exploration first is dooming our species to die out with the planet.

A better source of capital could be cut from our "defense" budget.

OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jawjuh.
    #560686 - 06/01/11 11:39 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

meh. our species is over rated

--------------------
:bonghit:
Glass By: US Tubes, ZOB, Roor.de, Sheldon Black, Jerome Baker, Medicali, Kennaroo, Sand, Alex K, Local and Unknown Artists

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Re: THE SOOOO-CIOOOOOL-OGYYY THHHREEEAAAD!!!1 [Re: NobodyImportant]
    #560688 - 06/01/11 11:50 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Maybe, but we've gone too far to not propagate and infest the cosmos.

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #560689 - 06/01/11 11:52 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I agree.

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

Offlinesmurf_master
Master Smurf

Re: THE SOOOO-CIOOOOOL-OGYYY THHHREEEAAAD!!!1 [Re: NobodyImportant]
    #560691 - 06/01/11 11:55 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

It costs roughly 47,000 per year to incarcerate an inmate in prison in California.
$12,000 of that is health care. Life in prison is in my view a bandaid to the problem. We could save money if we implemented a death penalty and exterminated those with outstanding rap-sheets. Premeditated murder, kidnapping, child molestation.

As a side note on NASA, I agree that eventually our only option is to move outwards and colonize further, but the technology doesn't currently exist, so it seems kind of like a circle jerk.

Also. Tax churches and religion, and make the government more transparent.

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

#560719 - 06/01/11 12:38 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I'm skeptical of any government system that would 1) Decide what is and what isn't illegal, and 2) Exterminate those who don't abide by the rules.

Quote:

As a side note on NASA, I agree that eventually our only option is to move outwards and colonize further, but the technology doesn't currently exist, so it seems kind of like a circle jerk.

It arguable that we could achieve long term space travel currently, but it will in the not too distant future be more possible.

Quote:

and make the government more transparent.

I think we currently have a better chance at space colonization.

Offlinesmurf_master
Master Smurf

#560736 - 06/01/11 01:39 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

DungenessDank said:

It arguable that we could achieve long term space travel currently, but it will in the not too distant future be more possible.

Do you really think so? I mean we haven't had a manned mission to our own moon since 1972 (assuming we went), and that seems like the logical first step to terraforming or colonizing outer space.

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

#560738 - 06/01/11 01:45 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Right now the biggest barrier is that it would be a very long term investment of a lot of capital for few if any returns in the lifetime of said investors. Knowing this it would either have to be a public investment or a generational private investment that would be meant to benefit the offspring of their offspring.

Publicly right now there is no way to fund it, the money doesn't exist and the credit card is maxed out.

But there is hope coming from the private space flight industry. Currently they are setting their goals on low-orbit civilian travel, but I will predict with some certainty that they will play a vital role in the evolution of our space program. It's my position that privately funded space travel will be much more efficient and innovative than NASA/other publicly funded programs.

OfflineBlazed as
Cooked
Male

Loc: Aussie Aussie Aussiee Flag
    #560741 - 06/01/11 01:50 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Doesn't Australia have a rather thriving welfare state? And isn't there still crime?

My point being, giving people stuff isn't going to stop crime, just create a sense of entitlement which can lead to worse economic and social problems.

Yeah you are right, I probably should have gone into a bit more depth.
I was referring more to the 3 billion people who live on a dollar a day, robbing people for money to buy bread or clothes etc.

If we provided these sorts necessities they would not be out robbing/ stealing to get them.

--------------------
There is no human nature, only human behaviour. - Jacque Fresco

Offlinesmurf_master
Master Smurf

#560742 - 06/01/11 01:52 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

warren buffet should start a private moon resort.

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Re: THE SOOOO-CIOOOOOL-OGYYY THHHREEEAAAD!!!1 [Re: Blazed as]
    #560743 - 06/01/11 01:53 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

To a point you are absolutely correct. But just giving them necessities is only half the solution. Economic growth without foreign manipulation would greatly increase the standards of some of the poorest peoples lives.

I'm sure most would rather work than steal, given the opportunity.

Quote:

smurf_master said:
warren buffet should start a private moon resort.

:lol: Or even an orbiting hotel. Anything to get the ignorant public at large thinking about the possibilities.

Offlinesmurf_master
Master Smurf

#560750 - 06/01/11 02:07 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

DungenessDank said:
I'm sure most would rather work than steal, given the opportunity.

I think that a few generations would need to die out before the mentality can change. I was fortunate enough to spend some time in Africa doing volunteer work, but the crime is almost unbelievable. The police will jack you if given the chance. In a 3rd world country where the infrastructure isn't there to support healthy options, crime is the only option.

Quote:

DungenessDank said:
Or even an orbiting hotel. Anything to get the ignorant public at large thinking about the possibilities.

Galactic Suite Space Hotel To Open

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#560766 - 06/01/11 02:24 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

smurf_master said:
It costs roughly 47,000 per year to incarcerate an inmate in prison in California.
$12,000 of that is health care. Life in prison is in my view a bandaid to the problem. We could save money if we implemented a death penalty and exterminated those with outstanding rap-sheets. Premeditated murder, kidnapping, child molestation.

Also. Tax churches and religion, and make the government more transparent.

Interesting enough a lot of death penalty cases cost more than LWOP cases.  I say we put them to work.  Nothing too inhumane of course, but inmates who can spend their days lifting weights and playing basketball can certainly lay some roads.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:
you know what i did in english class? I came to class stoned out of my mind every day, i chugged vodka in the back of class, i put dead fish in the ceiling tiles. i put a gallon of old milk and orange juice in the file cabinet before winter vacation. i brought snakes in a tied up sweater and let them loose during class. i didnt go to school to learn, i went because i had to. i didnt care, and i didn't fucking listen to that stupid bitch. and i still don't fucking care. i tore the pages out of her books and burned them, and threw away all the books in the class, two books per day.  :twobooks:

Offlinesmurf_master
Master Smurf

Re: THE SOOOO-CIOOOOOL-OGYYY THHHREEEAAAD!!!1 [Re: THEBats]
    #560769 - 06/01/11 02:28 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

A 9mm round is about 25 cents. I don't agree with the current procedure.

I'd rather give the jobs to citizens who need them.

Edited by smurf_master (06/01/11 02:29 PM)

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#560773 - 06/01/11 02:33 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I'm not talking just about the actual execution but prosecuting a death penalty case as well.  Plus you have to hire a professional to perform such an execution, teams for disposing and sanitize where the inmate was executed ect.

We're well past the days of shooting people and dumping them in a ditch.  Besides, death is an easy way out for some of these people.

I know I would rather die than live a life in prison knowing I'll never see the outside world again.

And while there's citizens to do the work there's not always money to pay them. 

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:
you know what i did in english class? I came to class stoned out of my mind every day, i chugged vodka in the back of class, i put dead fish in the ceiling tiles. i put a gallon of old milk and orange juice in the file cabinet before winter vacation. i brought snakes in a tied up sweater and let them loose during class. i didnt go to school to learn, i went because i had to. i didnt care, and i didn't fucking listen to that stupid bitch. and i still don't fucking care. i tore the pages out of her books and burned them, and threw away all the books in the class, two books per day.  :twobooks:

Edited by THEBats (06/01/11 02:38 PM)

Offlinesmurf_master
Master Smurf

#560783 - 06/01/11 02:47 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I feel you. But I look at cases where pedophiles and murderers have been released after serving their sentences, only to become repeat offenders, and think that there must be a better solution.

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#560787 - 06/01/11 02:56 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

True but at the same time I think in certain cases there should be room for rehabilitation.  Obviously it depends on the case and pedophilia is a mental condition, IMO, which can be treated in a variety of ways.  One involves a probe that stabs into the penis whenever an erection happens, which can condition the patient against sexual thoughts towards minors.  It all depends on the case, with pedophilia there's a strong link between sexual abuse as a child and one becoming a pedo later on.

Either way I think they should be closely monitored and tracked.  Some are too far gone but I believe some people deserve a chance to redeem themselves and others are victims of their environment as well as their mental stability.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

#560793 - 06/01/11 03:14 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I think pedophiles should be able to subject themselves to rehabilitation. Otherwise they have to go somewhere they won't be able to get to children. Otherwise it will eventually result in more abuse or their death. I don't believe just tracking pedophile does much to stop more abuse.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Kraken Kratom Shop: Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom