Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineSteve Buscemi

Re: How many guitarist on here? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #555692 - 05/15/11 11:06 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

That capo comment is about the dumbest shit I've ever heard. Nobody thinks that.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Re: How many guitarist on here? [Re: Steve Buscemi]
    #555693 - 05/15/11 11:08 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Well obviously somebody does because somebody just said it. If you can't learn to play your keys with closed hand position then you're a cheating fag.  Look at shit like violin and cello, they don't use capos OR have frets, but play in every key. THAT is musicianship at it's highest level. you can't say that you like to play in B the most if you just capo your 4th fret and pretend it's in G major, that's fucking lame and you know it. MANY high level musicians think capoing is a joke, the only people who do it consistently are beginners. (although I'll concede it's a valuable learning tool as it gets noobs to look at the relationship between notes and hand positions)

--------------------

OfflineSteve Buscemi

#555694 - 05/15/11 11:09 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Nope.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

#555696 - 05/15/11 11:11 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Lol ok. You're obviously still learning so I'll let it fly, but if you start getting hired for professional gigs and you can only solo with a capo then you're fucked dude. Tons of songs change keys in the middle of the song and no professional is going to let you pause to move your capo while the rest of the band goes on.

--------------------

OfflineSteve Buscemi

#555697 - 05/15/11 11:16 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

It aint for soloing, it's acoustic rhythm guitar and traditional folk stuff. I've seen plenty of live shows where pickers use them. I'm pretty sure you dont know what the fuck you're talking about because if guys like Tony Rice aint above using a capo neither should you.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

#555699 - 05/15/11 11:22 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Lol, I know what I'm talking about, I fucking promise you. Sure, people like Tony Rice, Bryan Sutton, David Grier, Andy Falco and Chris Eldridge use them, but that's for shredding bluegrass fiddle tunes, and even then they ditch the capo on a regular basis. It has it's time and place, but I promise you every single one of those people could play anything they want without the capo, they don't use it as a crutch, they use it as a tool. I'm talking about the dummy in this thread talking about playing in A flat minor like it's fun when you know he's just capoing instead of actually learning the key.

Also I'm a mandolin and fiddle player so I'm just kinda :crankey: I can't use one.

--------------------

OfflineSteve Buscemi

#555701 - 05/15/11 11:26 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Well I regard pickers like Tony Rice and Doc Watson as the THE BEST guitarist and shredding fiddle tunes as the pinnacle of guitar. So any type capo  is fine by me if it facilitates gold like this.

Edited by Steve Buscemi (05/15/11 11:33 AM)

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

#555702 - 05/15/11 11:31 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I'll see your tony rice and raise you a bryan sutton. That said, I respect quite a ton for being a fan of bluegrass, that's what I was raised on.

For the record, I've jammed with both of those guys.

--------------------

OfflineSteve Buscemi

#555707 - 05/15/11 11:42 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah those guys are badass.

These guys are from around where i grew up.... except Sam Bush. Seen them a few times at this park, they play at this bar my friend works at all the time.

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#556224 - 05/16/11 09:48 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Not sure where this capo argument came up but there are plenty of guitarists who use them for more than just changing the key.  In fingerstyle arrangements they can almost become a necessity as you're not going to be able to have all your notes properly ring out playing it open. 

If you're using a capo just to change the key then yes it is a beginner move however there are plenty legitimate uses for capos recognized by world class guitarists.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:
you know what i did in english class? I came to class stoned out of my mind every day, i chugged vodka in the back of class, i put dead fish in the ceiling tiles. i put a gallon of old milk and orange juice in the file cabinet before winter vacation. i brought snakes in a tied up sweater and let them loose during class. i didnt go to school to learn, i went because i had to. i didnt care, and i didn't fucking listen to that stupid bitch. and i still don't fucking care. i tore the pages out of her books and burned them, and threw away all the books in the class, two books per day.  :twobooks:

Edited by THEBats (05/16/11 10:18 PM)

OfflineSteve Buscemi

Re: How many guitarist on here? [Re: THEBats]
    #556229 - 05/16/11 09:59 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I use them for one reason only........... it sounds pretty.

OfflineDRAGON
Doors of Perception
Male

Loc: Somewhere in the Universe
    #556396 - 05/17/11 06:27 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I've been playing consistently for about 6 months now. Got my main chords down and been playing on both acoustic and electric. I'm still working on my speed for solos but it's getting there. Doing a bunch of different covers right now. As soon as I have something solid I'll throw it up on here. The psychedelic stuff is what I'm mostly into and a lot of blues. I play as much as I possibly can everyday. I fucking love guitar  :inlove:

--------------------
"I know that I know nothing"

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild & Free
Re: How many guitarist on here? [Re: DRAGON]
    #556530 - 05/18/11 10:56 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I'm a pretty shitty guitarist. But I can read tabs. tune it, and play a handfull of random riffs.

Every once in a while I'll get interested and learn something new. I should of tried learning it earlier when I had a shit ton of free time.

--------------------
"Je pense, donc je suis (I am thinking, therefore I am)." -Rene Descartes

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Truthfully, I'm a bullshitter
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greenbow, Alabama
Re: How many guitarist on here? [Re: Thebooedocksaint]
    #556842 - 05/19/11 08:11 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I plays teh guitar.  Used to be really into it for about 8 years or so, got pretty good, then just kinda stopped playing as much.  Jammed for a little while today with some friends though actually.

--------------------

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

Re: How many guitarist on here? [Re: FarBeyondDriven]
    #557009 - 05/20/11 05:46 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

playing with the distortion a little.  just kind of messing around.  probably haven't picked up the electric in over a month, been playing the acoustic.  I also don't play metal normally, but I try :lol:.  after that there's just a jam of whatever. 

great to play the guitar while high.  one of the best things you can do. :stoned:

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:
you know what i did in english class? I came to class stoned out of my mind every day, i chugged vodka in the back of class, i put dead fish in the ceiling tiles. i put a gallon of old milk and orange juice in the file cabinet before winter vacation. i brought snakes in a tied up sweater and let them loose during class. i didnt go to school to learn, i went because i had to. i didnt care, and i didn't fucking listen to that stupid bitch. and i still don't fucking care. i tore the pages out of her books and burned them, and threw away all the books in the class, two books per day.  :twobooks:

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

Re: How many guitarist on here? [Re: THEBats]
    #557011 - 05/20/11 05:47 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

and here's a short thumbpicking song I learned.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:

Edited by THEBats (05/20/11 05:48 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom