Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDoc
stoner
 User Gallery

Loc: New Caledonia
120w CFL+ 70w HPS closet grow.
    #540847 - 03/28/11 12:03 AM (13 years, 4 days ago)

Well I ended up harvesting but only got about 4 grams of hash and 7 grams of bud in the end. Due to hermies I chopped early but now have six plants going in the same set up. Far from my wished for 2 oz but I did appreciate the free hash and a free quad of buds :smile:

Go to the bottom for a new update 06/24
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V

Edited by Doc (06/25/11 07:24 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDoc
stoner
 User Gallery

Re: 120w CFL+ 70w HPS closet grow. [Re: Doc]
    #541140 - 03/28/11 07:57 PM (13 years, 3 days ago)

Here are some pictures from the plants in vegetative state.

--------------------
No one is free when others are oppressed

OfflineDoc
stoner
 User Gallery

#541412 - 03/29/11 07:22 PM (13 years, 2 days ago)

Today I finished my ghetto homemade hydro system. In the previous pictures the plants are in a blue plastic tupperware tote, well I had two of these totes.
  How I made the system was I cut the tote height down to be about 6 inches tall and then put the bottom of the tote that remained inside the ring that was the top rim, and used some sheet metal screws to hold them together. This essentially made the tote about half its original height and allows it to nest inside the original tote the plants were in, which is the reservoir. When I screwed the two halves together I slightly angled the bottom one so it would slope and drain better.
  The way I made the drain was I used a glad tupperware, one of the smallest ones, and cut a circular hole in the bottom in which I placed a brass swamp cooler drain fitting, which adapts from one inch to standard garden hose size. Then I traced the outline of the rim of the glad container and cut the hole to fit it and applied a silicone caulk to seal it. Once that dried I razor bladed the top rim, which stuck out on the inside of the grow tray, and then siliconed over that once I had it completely flat to allow for proper drainage.

In the reservoir sits about 10-15 gallons of solution with a small pond pump leading out to water the rockwool slabs from the top.
Up until today I had been using old milk jugs to water the plants and their root development into the slabs has been quite slow because the watering has not been quite good enough.

Here are the pics;

--------------------

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

Loc: West Coast
    #542353 - 04/02/11 01:39 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

:popcorn:

--------------------
It looks like it's going to be another Gravity Bong type day...

OfflineDoc
stoner
 User Gallery

Re: 120w CFL+ 70w HPS closet grow. [Re: muse42]
    #542483 - 04/02/11 01:16 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Whoops double post. EDIT

--------------------

Edited by Doc (04/02/11 01:20 PM)

OfflineDoc
stoner
 User Gallery

Re: 120w CFL+ 70w HPS closet grow. [Re: muse42]
    #542484 - 04/02/11 01:19 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Update

Today is the 16th day since they started flowering and all the plants finally have the beginnings of small buds on them, and I think I might have actually gotten 7 out of 7 seedlings that turned out female!! Thats 100% female, is that even possible?

I put a brick in between the rockwool slabs to space them out a bit because they were leaning towards each other a bit, then I trimmed off all the bushy under growth about three inches up the main stem to increase airflow. I also did this in the hopes of increasing amount of energy sent to the top part of the plant.
Right now I'm extremely pleased with the results from only this 190w of light.
I think the 120 CFL provides for most of the intense fast growth, (when spaced within 5-8 inches) while the 70 HPS simply bolsters the growth by penetrating deeper into the canopy as well as enhancing the spectrum. I'm almost considering building a custom hood thats like a mini growzilla hood.

Here are some tiny little pistil pics (Bloom baby BLOOM!)

--------------------

Edited by Doc (04/02/11 01:24 PM)

OfflineDoc
stoner
 User Gallery

#543074 - 04/04/11 11:14 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Yesterday I built a new CF light for vegging, and will probably increase the wattage on it at some point when I can afford a few of the 20 something watt CF bulbs.
How I made the light was by cutting down the reflector portion of a 4ft two tube fluorescent fixture to be 20" long then I took the base off the CF bulbs and then used a 7/8" spade bit to drill into a 1" X 3/8" X 20" strip of wood, then just threaded the bulbs into the wood and then rewired them in parallel. I made sure to leave enough room in between to put three larger bulbs on the reflector at some point. I really like how this setup came out and I think the clones I have are gonna love it!

Also the plants are doing good but I think I need to give them a little bit more nutrients than I have been recently. I'm not sure why but some leaves are getting burned on the tips, not like on the very tiny end of the tip of the leaf like a nitrogen burn (refer to the second to last picture in my previous post for an example)  but large areas of the leaves. Maybe the leaves got burned by the light but I forgot about it and now its freaking me out, but even a few of the lower down leaves that couldn't possibly have been burned withing the past few weeks are getting this same problem. I don't think its too big of a deal though.

--------------------

Edited by Doc (04/11/11 11:38 PM)

OfflineDoc
stoner
 User Gallery

#543573 - 04/05/11 07:13 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Just realized I haven't even mentioned which nutrients I use!
This seems obvious but I guess I've been using the same nutrients for so long it doesn't even cross my mind anymore!

Well for veg I use Pure Blend Pro Grow
I also infrequently mix in some Earth Juice "Catalyst" which is a fermented molasses mixed with some oat bran and other weird shit, and Earth juice "Microblast" which is a sea ingredient based micro-nutrient solution. For PH I use nitric acid in the form of technaflora PH down.

For flowering I use my own concoction of a sample pack of powdered crystals which are a rose pink color and a few amber specks mixed in. This shit is literally almost pure potassium and phosphorus! I mixed this with some bud hardener numbers 0-50-50! This is made out of dipotassium phosphate and potassium phosphate as well as other forms of potassium and phosphorus. In general I'm very careful with this powder as it is easy to use too much and ruin your bud. But just a few pinches through the flowering cycle leads to rock hard buds with some STRONG ass main stems due to all the potassium.  When I use this powder I mix it with a 1/4 strength mix of the microblast and sometimes a teensy tiny bit of Progrow in the early stages of flowering.

Another thing I use for the whole life of the plant is this two part mix which is made locally by a company called soil secrets.
They are called Earth Ambrosia and Earth Nectar. One EN is brown and smells like poo, this contains endo and ecto mycorhizal fungi as well as bacterial dominated compost tea. The other one called Earth ambrosia is a lot like soy sauce and it is humic substances in liquid solution, when you add it to water it turns it brown to red in color, very good stuff!!

--------------------

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

#543639 - 04/06/11 12:18 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Love the new set up!

--------------------

OfflineShotgun
45 goin
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington State
    #543643 - 04/06/11 12:50 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

with that set up, you should have one or two plants for the best outcome. usually plants grow fairly well with 50W per plant. but cfl's you want at least 100w(of cfl watts, not the equivelant) per plant. I am using a 1000W MH(veg) and 1000W HPS(flower) in my 4x4 sea of green tent with 12 plants. In my screan of green tent that is 8x4 with 12 plants, I am using two 1000W MH lights(veg),two 1000W HPS(flower) and a 300W cfl for an added spectrum.

oh and those lights, they are the ballasts that convert from HPS to MH.

Edited by Shotgun (04/11/11 11:35 PM)

OfflineShotgun
45 goin
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington State
    #543645 - 04/06/11 12:58 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

you are gonna add nutrients when you think you have nutrient burn? that is what you said right? If that is what you said and mean, then I am confused bro. You most likely do have nutrient burn, and need less. Not more. Also, fungus is a possibility. If you know anything about hydrogen peroxide, you can give that a try to make sure it isnt fungus or something like that, plus it will help get rid of salt/nutrient build up that could possibly be part of the problem. If you do it right, it cant hurt anything. It is a great medicine for pot plants. It has so many uses/ preventions/ and cured

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery

Re: 120w CFL+ 70w HPS closet grow. [Re: Shotgun]
    #543663 - 04/06/11 05:55 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Love this grow man.  You know you love your plants when you think of the sweet McGyver stuff that makes them happier.  That hydro unit is very cool, and if I ever make the switch I'd definitely think about modeling after yours just cause it looks so cheap and easy.

Shotgun might be half-right though in that I'm worried only the top half of those plants will really bud up nicely... even so that'd still be a nice hash run for the popcorn.

I got almost 2 ounces once off of two plants in a 2x2 250w sodium so I think you should be in the 2 oz ballpark with the hydro and everything...

As far as the weird burn, it's kinda a little too irregular to be nute burn right?  Ph problem? Lockout or cal-mag deficiency?  That's all I can think of..

Grow on brotherman  :spinleaf:

OfflineDoc
stoner
 User Gallery

Re: 120w CFL+ 70w HPS closet grow. [Re: Shotgun]
    #543693 - 04/06/11 09:35 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

shotgun Hey man thanks for the good advice. I was smoking a lot of bowls while I wrote that post and I did realize it was confusing but didn't correct it.
I should have said the plants probably have some sort of deficiency because a lot of the leaves have micro size white spots on them as well as the tips just mysteriously being all weird, but overall the plants still seem very healthy. I'm thinking the fluoride in my tap water could have caused the leaf spotting because I foliar feed and I wouldn't be surprised if it caused some sort of necrosis (FUCK fluoride especially sodium silicofluoride!)

--------------------

OfflineDoc
stoner
 User Gallery

Re: 120w CFL+ 70w HPS closet grow. [Re: DudeTron]
    #543694 - 04/06/11 09:39 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

dudetron thanks for the encouragement man I think its some kind of deficiency as well but not too sure, could just be burned leaf tips that I don't remember, like I said. I've been training the crap out of the tops so they don't get burned anymore and I haven't seen the problem getting any worse, but alot of the lower leaves are starting to look really ratty in general because of the lack of light. Hash making is all I'm thinking about right now!!!

Just having this grow journal up here on the growery is really adding a lot of positivity to my grow and making me want to do the ABSOLUTE best I can do! :sun:

Thanks for the comment muse.

--------------------

Offlinerustycobwebs
Stranger
    #544450 - 04/08/11 12:39 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Doc said:

I should have said the plants probably have some sort of deficiency because a lot of the leaves have micro size white spots on them as well as the tips just mysteriously being all weird, but overall the plants still seem very healthy.

I am not an expert.

That being said, while reading the cannabis grow bible, it mentions that these small white dots are often times associated with gnats or aphids or some other type of pest which instead of biting the leaf just latch onto it and suck them. This could be the cause of your microdots, and the resulting damage to the leaf could cause the tips and other parts to also be damaged.

EDIT: if you put up some fly paper, which is quite cheap, you should be able to readily tell if this is your problem or not.

Just a thought from a bystander.

Edited by rustycobwebs (04/08/11 12:40 PM)

OfflineDoc
stoner
 User Gallery

Re: 120w CFL+ 70w HPS closet grow. [Re: rustycobwebs]
    #545047 - 04/10/11 04:21 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Man I think you are right rustycobwebs I have checked the bottoms of the leaves and there are these weird small black things but they are not spider mites, they don't really move at all. There's hardly any of them so I should be able to wipe them out pretty easily but now I'm starting to get scared cause I'm fast approaching the 30 day mark! I plan to harvest probably around day 60-70 so if I don't wipe out these pests by then they could ruin my crop!!
This is shitty!! I have been using peppermint oil in my spray bottle to try and knock them off the leaves and its been about 3 days now I can't really find any more of them. I have a feeling it's gonna take a bit more effort than that though.

UPDATE:

I chopped one of the smaller plants cause it was taking up space and I figure that the loss of it will be made up for by the two neighboring plants having more space to stretch and also more rootzone.

Everything is going nicely and I will probably change out the water in my reservoir pretty soon here. I am on day 22 of flowering and the plants look great! they are stretching now but I think they might not end up stretching much more because they are already packing on the pistils! The white widow X blueberry strain (whiteberry) is already getting frosted with clear and white trichomes  on the small bud leaves even though there aren't any real buds yet. The other two strains my friend gave me don't even compare in terms of trichomes at this point but I hope they catch up later on. The whiteberry as I call it looks almost like a hash producing strain to me. I can't get any decent bud pictures because my camera only has a telephoto lens right now lol. But I hope to get a macro lens pretty soon here.

--------------------

Offlinerustycobwebs
Stranger
    #545503 - 04/11/11 11:05 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Interested to see what others might think those things are, and ill be watching to see how that affects your end results. Keep it up doc.

OfflineDoc
stoner
 User Gallery

Re: 120w CFL+ 70w HPS closet grow. [Re: rustycobwebs]
    #545517 - 04/11/11 11:35 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I have no clue what the bugs are and I have removed another plant in order to facilitate access to the other bigger plants in order to remove the little bugs with my spray bottle. Today I purchased a small bottle of neem oil it only cost me $2.77! When I get more money I am gonna buy either lady bugs, predator mites or pirate bugs. I'm not sure whats available right now but that's what they have at my local hydro store.

The whiteberry continues to get more and more frosty every day!
I really need to get the bugs wiped out before the buds get any more dense potentially trapping the bug eggs inside allowing the bugs to survive indefinitely!

--------------------

OfflineDoc
stoner
 User Gallery

#545588 - 04/12/11 12:23 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I got lady bugs today! I got 200 for $9.99 and released almost all of them in my closet. I feel insane just chillin in my room with all these bugs crawling all over EVERYTHING. As soon as I dropped them on the bud plants they started fucking left and right. There was even ones trying to hump the one that was already humping a female. Fucking horny ass ladybugs. I hope they eat all those damn bugs and lay eggs to protect my garden for good, but I have a feeling they will eat all the bugs really fast and then move on to my backyard. At least they will be like little robots sent out to destroy the enemy! MUAHHAHAHAHAA!!!!

--------------------

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

#545822 - 04/12/11 08:46 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Very cool pics! Go ladybugs Go!!! :minigun:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder