Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineShaggy420
Male

NZ: Cannabis protester prepared to starve
    #529014 - 02/20/11 06:12 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Lois Cairns

The Press

Sunday 20 Feb 2011
A TIMARU cancer patient facing a jail term for growing cannabis he uses to alleviate pain says he will go on a hunger strike if he gets locked up.

Peter Davy, 51, has pleaded guilty to cultivating cannabis and to other related drug charges, but says he uses the drug only for medicinal purposes for himself and his partner, who suffers from multiple sclerosis.

It is not the first time he has been before the courts on drug charges and the judge indicated that when Davy is sentenced on March 16 he can expect to receive a jail term.

But Davy is refusing to go quietly.

"I will be going on a hunger strike the moment I am given a prison sentence and I absolutely do not want to be force-fed under any circumstances. I will also be refusing all cancer medication.

"I am 100% committed to continuing with a hunger strike until I am dead," said Davy. "I hate confrontation and I hate publicity, but I have nothing to lose and somebody has to make a stand... or nothing ever changes."

Davy, who has done extensive research into the medicinal benefits of cannabis, says he started smoking cannabis only after he was diagnosed with a pituitary tumour 10 years ago and discovered it helped alleviate the symptoms better than any drugs the doctors could prescribe him.

"Not one legal drug had the slightest beneficial effect. They turned me into a zombie, slowed my brain to a standstill and made it feel like mush, made me suicidal," he said. In desperation he tried cannabis, and it helped.

He did not support the use of cannabis as a recreational drug and accepted its potentially dangerous side, but he believed that for people like himself and his partner, who were in constant pain because of terminal illnesses, cannabis use should be permitted.

"It is cruel in the extreme to prevent access to cannabis for MS sufferers. I challenge anybody to watch what my partner goes through on a daily basis and then look me in the eye and say she should not be allowed access to cannabis if it makes her life even a tiny bit more bearable.

"It's easy to make these decisions about other people when you're perfectly healthy yourself, but try walking a mile in my partner's footsteps.

"I believe in medical marijuana – not as an excuse for recreational use – but as a scientifically proven medicine for specific conditions."

Medicinal cannabis use is legal in 13 states in the United States and in Canada, Spain, Germany and the Netherlands, but it is illegal here.

The Law Commission has proposed changing that to allow people suffering from chronic or debilitating illnesses to use cannabis under medical supervision, a proposal that has the backing of the Medical Association, which supports the use of cannabis for medicinal purposes for people with specific conditions provided it is subject to the same evidence-based testing as any drug used for the same reason.
Ad Feedback

But Justice Minister Simon Power has indicated he will not be changing the law.

Pro-cannabis spokesman Abe Gray said Davy's case was one of the most tragic illustrations of why existing laws needed reform.

Nothing would be gained by sending him to jail and if he did go on a hunger strike, the government would have blood on its hands.

lois.cairns@star-times.co.nz

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/south-island/4680621/Cannabis-protester-prepared-to-starve

--------------------

:Awemush::happyweed::fasted::happyweed::Awemush:

http://www.clear-uk.org/

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineShroomofdoom
Menace 2 Society
Male

Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: NZ: Cannabis protester prepared to starve [Re: Shaggy420] * 2
    #529153 - 02/20/11 04:35 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Damn man, thats a shame. What are they planning on accomplishing by putting this ill man in jail? It's going to do nothing but piss people off. Hopefully his protest helps to open peoples eyes about the benefits of cannabis for ill people. I hate reading shit like this because it just makes me think about how fucking brainwashed people are about pot. Get these fucking one sided government crooks, that are just keeping cannabis illegal to make money, out of office and let some open minded people step in. Good luck Mr. Cairns!

Offlinewre
Stranger

Re: NZ: Cannabis protester prepared to starve [Re: Shroomofdoom] * 2
    #529499 - 02/21/11 11:09 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Support Peter Davy Facebook Event
Support Peter Davy

Take your time to read Peter Davy's story.
www.freepeterdavy.com/node/1

Please sign this petition for Peter Davy http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/free-peter-davy-this-is-wrong-in-so-many-ways/

InvisibleDr. SiekadellykM
Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ketamine Flag
Re: NZ: Cannabis protester prepared to starve [Re: wre]
    #529587 - 02/22/11 01:03 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Wow I really hope people rethink their inhuman perceptions of what is right...

Nothing good is going to come of throwing a sick person that just wants to feel better in jail.

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

Offlinekush420
Open Your Mind
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL Flag
Re: NZ: Cannabis protester prepared to starve [Re: wre]
    #529940 - 02/23/11 12:42 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Stuff like this turns my stomach and I have no doubt that the government will get away with this.

Quote:

wre said:
Support Peter Davy Facebook Event
Support Peter Davy

Take your time to read Peter Davy's story.
www.freepeterdavy.com/node/1

Please sign this petition for Peter Davy http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/free-peter-davy-this-is-wrong-in-so-many-ways/

:thumbup:

--------------------
There's a natural mystic blowing through the air

Nature = :heart:

"Much respect to all the people thinking green, Not just the color but the message in between" :potleaf:

InvisibleDr. SiekadellykM
Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ketamine Flag
Re: NZ: Cannabis protester prepared to starve [Re: Shaggy420] * 1
    #544707 - 04/09/11 09:40 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I wonder what happened with this guy?

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

OfflineShaggy420
Male

Re: NZ: Cannabis protester prepared to starve [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk]
    #544737 - 04/09/11 12:36 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

yeah i was curious to know the outcome, i was expecting an update :confused:

--------------------

:Awemush::happyweed::fasted::happyweed::Awemush:

http://www.clear-uk.org/

Offlinekush420
Open Your Mind
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL Flag
Re: NZ: Cannabis protester prepared to starve [Re: Shaggy420]
    #544803 - 04/09/11 04:24 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

According to Peter on his website freepeterdavy.com "The judge told me to expect a prison sentence on March 16th when I go up for sentencing because it is the fifth time I have been convicted.  I appeared on March 16th, and thanks to the efforts of hundreds of supporters, we managed to fill the courtroom.  The judge this time was still planning to send me to prison, but at the last minute delayed the sentencing until April 20th to allow me to provide more evidence."

4/20 for sentencing :lol:

Hopefully the extra time will allow the judge to see how ludicrous this all really is.

--------------------
There's a natural mystic blowing through the air

Nature = :heart:

"Much respect to all the people thinking green, Not just the color but the message in between" :potleaf:

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
Re: NZ: Cannabis protester prepared to starve [Re: kush420]
    #544806 - 04/09/11 04:43 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

That's just plain fucked up!

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder