Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleiStoner
Astral Beast
Male

drug use and synaesthesia? * 1
    #528308 - 02/17/11 08:29 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

So i am aware that some drugs mess with your senses, so would they complicate synaesthesia in someone who has it? Would it trigger it if someone had it underlying? would it cause it? Or would it not effect the disorder at all. (besides the temporary that you get with psychedelics)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synaesthesia

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMFDoom666
trash hoarder
Male User Gallery

Loc: emerica
Re: drug use and synaesthesia? [Re: iStoner]
    #528310 - 02/17/11 09:18 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------

FurrowedBrow said:

They should teach african engineering at the college level.  mcgyver 101

Harry_Ba11sach said:

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Invisibleopenmind
cannaisseur

Loc: Cannafornia
Re: drug use and synaesthesia? [Re: iStoner] * 1
    #528324 - 02/17/11 10:12 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I have spatial synesthesia. It's just something I've had and developed since a kid and never really think about it.

Lots of people do have some sort of synesthesia (there's quite  variety of different forms) with out knowing or realizing they do, as it's just the way they perceive things and consider it to be normal.

Who knows what sort of effect drugs would have on people with say grapheme–color synesthesia (individual's perception of numbers and letters is associated with the experience of colors). It's such a hard thing to describe as it is, only they would know :shrug: ....

I will say this though. I often experience synesthesia from moderate doses of LSD. Very hard to describe, other than a complete blending of senses. Any sort of sensory input causes a crossing of input into another "sense", then that input causes an input into another, and then it's a snowball effect from there...Can get very overwhelming at times. The most common form of synesthesia I experience from LSD is Sound → color synesthesia.

Synesthesia is very very fascinating :yesnod: :strokebeard:...

:stoner:

--------------------

InvisibleiStoner
Astral Beast
Male

Re: drug use and synaesthesia? [Re: openmind]
    #528326 - 02/17/11 10:14 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

openmind said:

Synesthesia is very very fascinating :yesnod: :strokebeard:...

Agreed, ever  since we went over it in my psychology class, I've been so interested.

--------------------

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Truthfully, I'm a bullshitter
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greenbow, Alabama
    #528379 - 02/18/11 03:19 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Hm, tell me more about it you guys.  Kinda interesting.  You said colors into numbers and letters?  I'm kinda confused.  Sounds interesting though.

--------------------

Invisibleopenmind
cannaisseur

Loc: Cannafornia
Re: drug use and synaesthesia? [Re: FarBeyondDriven]
    #528384 - 02/18/11 04:07 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

FarBeyondDriven said:
Hm, tell me more about it you guys.  Kinda interesting.  You said colors into numbers and letters?  I'm kinda confused.  Sounds interesting though.

Synaesthesia is pretty much a "blending of the senses". When stimulation of one sensory or cognitive pathway leads to automatic, involuntary experiences in a second sensory or cognitive pathway.

I've seen a few documentaries about people with various forms of synaesthesia, really interesting stuff. I will try to find a link online somewhere...

Straight from wiki but>

How someone with synesthesia might perceive certain letters and numbers.

for someone who experiences 2s as red and 5s as green, the triangle should be more easily identified.

There are many different forms though...

Quote:

In one of the most common forms of synesthesia, grapheme → color synesthesia, individual letters of the alphabet and numbers (collectively referred to as graphemes), are "shaded" or "tinged" with a color. While different individuals usually do not report the same colors for all letters and numbers, studies with large numbers of synesthetes find some commonalities across letters (e.g., A is likely to be red).

As a child, Pat Duffy told her father, "I realized that to make an R all I had to do was first write a P and draw a line down from its loop. And I was so surprised that I could turn a yellow letter into an orange letter just by adding a line." Another grapheme synesthete says, "When I read, about five words around the exact one I'm reading are in color. It's also the only way I can spell. In elementary school I remember knowing how to spell the word 'priority' [with an "i" rather than an "e"] because ... an 'e' was out of place in that word because e's were yellow and didn't fit."

Quote:

Ordinal-linguistic personification (OLP, or personification for short) is a form of synesthesia in which ordered sequences, such as ordinal numbers, days, months and letters are associated with personalities. Although this form of synesthesia was documented as early as the 1890s modern research has, until recently, paid little attention to this form.

For example, one synesthete says, "T’s are generally crabbed, ungenerous creatures. U is a soulless sort of thing. 4 is honest, but… 3 I cannot trust… 9 is dark, a gentleman, tall and graceful, but politic under his suavity."[31] Likewise, Cytowic's subject MT says, "I [is] a bit of a worrier at times, although easy-going; J [is] male; appearing jocular, but with strength of character; K [is] female; quiet, responsible...."[1]

Quote:

Sound → color synesthesia (I often experience this on LSD)

According to Richard Cytowic, sound → color synesthesia is "something like fireworks": voice, music, and assorted environmental sounds such as clattering dishes or dog barks trigger color and simple shapes that arise, move around, and then fade when the sound stimulus ends.[3] For some, the stimulus type is limited (e.g., music only, or even just a specific musical key); for others, a wide variety of sounds triggers synesthesia.

Sound often changes the perceived hue, brightness, scintillation, and directional movement. Some individuals see music on a "screen" in front of their face. Deni Simon, for whom music produces waving lines "like oscilloscope configurations—lines moving in color, often metallic with height, width and, most importantly, depth. My favorite music has lines that extend horizontally beyond the 'screen' area."

Quote:

In the rare lexical → gustatory synesthesia, individual words and the phonemes of spoken language evoke taste sensations in the mouth. According to James Wannerton, "Whenever I hear, read, or articulate (inner speech) words or word sounds, I experience an immediate and involuntary taste sensation on my tongue. These very specific taste associations never change and have remained the same for as long as I can remember."

....Additionally, these early food experiences are often paired with tastes based on the phonemes in the name of the word (e.g., /I/, /n/ and /s/ trigger James Wannerton’s taste of mince) although others have less obvious roots (e.g., /f/ triggers sherbet). To show that phonemes, rather than graphemes are the critical triggers of tastes, Ward and Simner showed that, for James Wannerton, the taste of egg is associated to the phoneme /k/, whether spelled with a "c" (e.g., accept), "k" (e.g., York), "ck" (e.g., chuck) or "x" (e.g., fax). Another source of tastes comes from semantic influences, so that food names tend to taste of the food they match, and the word "blue" tastes "inky."

:trippinballs:

--------------------

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Loc: Devils Marbles Flag
Re: drug use and synaesthesia? [Re: openmind]
    #528385 - 02/18/11 04:24 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

That's rad

--------------------

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
    #528386 - 02/18/11 04:53 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Hallucinogenics cause it, so eat em.

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Truthfully, I'm a bullshitter
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greenbow, Alabama
Re: drug use and synaesthesia? [Re: T-Rex]
    #528461 - 02/18/11 06:23 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, that's pretty interesting for sure.  Seems kind of cool to be honest.  It's not really harmful to a person that experiences it I'm assuming?

--------------------

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

Re: drug use and synaesthesia? [Re: FarBeyondDriven]
    #528464 - 02/18/11 06:27 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I've experienced it only once before, with the help of NO2.  Pretty awesome. :randy:

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:
you know what i did in english class? I came to class stoned out of my mind every day, i chugged vodka in the back of class, i put dead fish in the ceiling tiles. i put a gallon of old milk and orange juice in the file cabinet before winter vacation. i brought snakes in a tied up sweater and let them loose during class. i didnt go to school to learn, i went because i had to. i didnt care, and i didn't fucking listen to that stupid bitch. and i still don't fucking care. i tore the pages out of her books and burned them, and threw away all the books in the class, two books per day.  :twobooks:

InvisibleiStoner
Astral Beast
Male

Re: drug use and synaesthesia? [Re: THEBats]
    #528505 - 02/18/11 08:05 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I'm meeting a girl next week that has this, Any questions that i should ask her?

--------------------

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
    #529402 - 02/21/11 05:09 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Oh shit, I have this! I didn't know there was a word for it, and I thought everyone had it...

Strangely enough, I only have it with a handful of letters and numbers though. I don't have it with the whole alphabet. Is that common?

I've always had it as long as I remember, not due to drug use or anything.

Interesting.

Edit: Oh wow, lots of people with it say A is red, me too. Wow I always thought this was just a normal thing.

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

InvisibleiStoner
Astral Beast
Male

Re: drug use and synaesthesia? [Re: RasJeph]
    #529403 - 02/21/11 05:16 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

wow, is crazy you didn't know that you didn't know you had this! please explain your symptoms :yesnod:

--------------------

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

#529408 - 02/21/11 05:43 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Its not really a big deal for me. Certain letters I have just always associated with colors. I'm not sure if they actually take the color when I look at them or if its just such a strong association with the color that my mind just makes it sorta appear that color to me, if that makes sense?

Sorta like if you look at a black and white photo and know what color everything in the picture should be, except a LOT more intense. Like, maybe you've been stareing at it in color for days and days, then look at the picture real quick? Does that make sense?

I guess I kinda see them as the color. Not quite as vibrant as the picture up there represents though. More like a gradient.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ 1234567890

Of those, A is red, D is purple, H is most definitely orange as is 6, O and P are two different shades of blue.

Thats all for me though. I wonder if thats common. Orange is the most vibrant of them.

Edit: The more I think about this, the better I can describe it. Ever see that color photo you stare at, then it turns black and white and you can see it in color for a few seconds until you blink? Thats a lot what its like to me. I think the gif was of a castle. They are mainly colored out of my peripherals, but enough so that I can look at them before they fade. And, it only really happens with capitals, minus the O and P, I assume because the letters are the same lower or capital.

--------------------

Edited by RasJeph (02/21/11 05:48 PM)

Offlinebudnectar
Planetary Citizen
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Mars
    #529413 - 02/21/11 06:16 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Is this something inheritable, like a genome? Or is it something imprinted during a critical learning period of your life? Maybe that could explain the commonalities? like the clarity of undeniable truths left a lasting impression in the form of synaesthesia from early developmental stages? hahaha tooooo high

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Re: drug use and synaesthesia? [Re: budnectar]
    #529414 - 02/21/11 06:25 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Its something I have had for as long as I remember, not really brought on later in life :tongue:

I'll ask my mom later if she has it. I can't ask my dad, but I can ask her.

--------------------

InvisibleiStoner
Astral Beast
Male

#529436 - 02/21/11 07:25 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

If you don't mind me asking why can't you ask your dad?

--------------------

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

#529450 - 02/21/11 07:52 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Not on speaking terms. Or, looking at eachother terms for that matter.

--------------------

InvisibleiStoner
Astral Beast
Male

#529453 - 02/21/11 08:20 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I understand man.

--------------------

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

#529545 - 02/22/11 08:56 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Asked my mom, and she said no, she doesn't have it...but she remembers hearing of it before. Which could mean my dad had it. Or, its because shes an eye doctor and prolly gets lots of weird stuff like this.

--------------------

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

#529548 - 02/22/11 09:03 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

That's pretty interesting.

While tripping I can definitely see music as an invisible horizontal "baseline" that distorts my vision/perception with changes in speed, volume, pitch, octave, etc :justdontknow:

Also worth mentioning, I find most rap music (That I enjoy sober/high) highly offensive to the senses while tripping

Drugs and perception be some weird shit.

Edited by DungenessDank (02/22/11 09:06 AM)

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

Re: drug use and synaesthesia? [Re: DungenessDank]
    #529551 - 02/22/11 09:11 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah I can't listen to rap while tripping.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:
you know what i did in english class? I came to class stoned out of my mind every day, i chugged vodka in the back of class, i put dead fish in the ceiling tiles. i put a gallon of old milk and orange juice in the file cabinet before winter vacation. i brought snakes in a tied up sweater and let them loose during class. i didnt go to school to learn, i went because i had to. i didnt care, and i didn't fucking listen to that stupid bitch. and i still don't fucking care. i tore the pages out of her books and burned them, and threw away all the books in the class, two books per day.  :twobooks:

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Re: drug use and synaesthesia? [Re: THEBats]
    #529553 - 02/22/11 09:16 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Oh god, I listened to Electric Wizards Dopethrone album through one of my shroom trips.

Sooooooo wild.

--------------------

Offlinebudnectar
Planetary Citizen
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Mars
    #529590 - 02/22/11 01:22 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

interesting, I got into some interesting reads on it. I guess it's just one of those mysteries of life

http://www.macalester.edu/psychology/whathap/ubnrp/synesthesia/main.html

http://www.mixsig.net/

http://synaesthesia.fws1.com/

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Re: drug use and synaesthesia? [Re: budnectar]
    #529594 - 02/22/11 01:45 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Mystery of science!

OfflineSpenner
The Spenner
Male

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: drug use and synaesthesia? [Re: DungenessDank]
    #594106 - 10/25/11 02:07 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I'm gonna bump this, because I have audio > visual synesthesia. When I'm high, the visuals become so much more amplified, it's quite profound. They're almost hallucinated, at some points, when relaxed and meditative enough.

Most of the time it's just a visualizer consistently going on in my head that interprets every sound and action, causing it to warp accordingly. When a particularly powerful or energetic moment happens, the entire visualizer will take the shape of more profound things i.e. beautiful scenery, trippy kaleidoscope walled rooms, holographic worms panting like dogs with mechanical tongues etc.

I've done a few pieces of digital art based on synesthesia imagery:

Hell, I'll even go a step further and post one of the songs that stands in my mind when making (if I can remember).

(vids apply to the pic directly below it)

1)Autechre - Ipacial Section

2)Autechre - PlyPhon

3)Boards of Canada - Left Side Drive

4)The Flashbulb - Trees in Russia

5)Shpongle - Levitation Nation http://

6)Boards of Canada - Roygbiv

7)Boards of Canada - Nlogax

Cheers  :nyan:

--------------------
~

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Re: drug use and synaesthesia? [Re: Spenner]
    #594147 - 10/25/11 07:33 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for bumping this. Mine got a lot more intense a few months ago and has kinda stuck around. I think I made a thread on it.

It seems the colors I see the letters in have shifted a bit (oddly enough, still the same letters but different colors?), and it really only happens with capitals for some reason.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag