Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejkell
Midnight toker

Loc: Don' worry bout it
Re: Crazy light ?? [Re: BigBudz]
    #517949 - 01/24/11 01:37 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I've seen grows on the web where the LED's were great for veg but they are lacking when it comes to flower only growing wispy airy buds. I've been trying to figure out the reason. Think you could shed some light on this crayola?

Maybe it was grower error?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

Re: Crazy light ?? [Re: jkell]
    #518063 - 01/24/11 12:50 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

There are a lot of different ways to configure LEDs for color output, so I don't think the temperatures are the cause.  I can only guess at this point, but I would figure two things to be severely limiting for LEDs. 

The first is that most LED light intensity drops significantly with distance.  Even the really good ones for commercial applications that can reach 15-25' are just barely doing so at colors that are adequate for human use.  Those aren't cheap, even at current production levels, and they are made in a very limited array of colors.  There is a big difference between what our eyes can use and what is appropriate for most common growing applications.

The second is that LED light is very directional.  Sunlight, fluorescent, incandescent, and HID produce light that is going in a variety of directions.  This isn't just because the shape of the lamp, but has to do with the way that light is created.  The more random dispersal of light causes more efficient reflections and the light tends to penetrate spaces better, like the spaces between the leaves of a plant or under a desk. 

If you look at an office that is illuminated with LED and one that is illuminated with fluorescent, you may really like how LEDs illuminate desktops or how they don't have as much glare on your computer screen.  On the other side, spaces under desks are darker and if you are flipping through papers you will notice much darker shadows. 

I guess, to summarize, what I have seen is that LEDs have serious penetration issues that make them less desirable for good coverage on dense plants.  Some of these issues are already being addressed (most with patents) by the major lighting fixture makers.  The problem is that the ideas are highly protected so will take time and money to trickle down.

The world has two spectacular manufacturers of power-LEDs (chips, not diodes) they are powerful and continuously adding production.  After the more lucrative markets hit saturation in 3-4 years they should start to spread in to less profitable consumer markets.

Also, keep in mind that most of the people that make LED lighting arrays that get targeted to cannabis growers do not have lighting science backgrounds or adequate access to testing equipment.  Nearly every LED grow fixture I have seen marketed in HT, Skunk, etc.. has been a definite "no" in my opinion.  A couple look like they may be effective, but the pricing takes away any advantage.

--------------------
I am not a cannabis grower.  I find the cannabis growers to be the most open to experimenting and sharing out of all of the different botany groups I enjoy.  I frequently use the suggestions that I find to apply to own organic gardening and food production.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck