Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblePandor

Re: First timer. Critique my germination process and my veg room. [Re: Pandor]
    #512626 - 01/10/11 05:03 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Most of the little plants have a root starting to shoot out the bottom that is not looking all that great. I guess this means they need to be planted.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
    #512628 - 01/10/11 05:05 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

The root shooting out the bottom is a tap root, they don't need to be replanted yet.

InvisiblePandor

Re: First timer. Critique my germination process and my veg room. [Re: maryanne3087]
    #512634 - 01/10/11 05:19 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

But the roots that are shooting out of the bottom look a little wilted.
Is this a cause for concern?

Approximately how long until I need to transplant?

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #512645 - 01/10/11 05:37 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

No, the roots are gonna look funky and brown when they grow out the bottom but that won't hurt the plant. You can transplant when the root ball can hold itself together and make it easy on you. To be honest you can transplant anytime you want to really but if the root ball can hold together it just makes it easy to do. :happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinemad capper
old head
Male

Re: First timer. Critique my germination process and my veg room. [Re: Magash]
    #512744 - 01/10/11 07:31 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

very intresting thread with alot of good info and great advice. Ive been out of the loop for awhile 10 years lol but alot seems the same. I never had alot of success with those peat cubes. I use solo plastic cups with a soilless mix like peat, verm and perlite. Then water them with a dilute 2-4-1 and superthrive as seedlings for bout 10 days under tube flo 4 to 6 inches away. I used to love Neptunes or squantos secret for the first 2 weeks.

Im old school so I use an old method. I don't know if anyone can catch me up to speed, I start my seeds in moist paper towels, I use a dilute 2-4-1 at about 30% (its recommended dose) with some half strength Olivia's rooting hormone and some super thrive.  I mix up a weak solution of these things and spray it on the paper towel.  Then I put it in a tupperware container and don't seal it completely. Then I put it in a black trash bag and fold the bag over and check it every couple of days until the pod busts.  Then I transfer them to the solo cups for a couple of weeks. Then go with a MH for veg.

--------------------
*constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil ~ jerry garcia*

Mad Capper's Moonshine Tek under construction lol

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

Loc: West Coast
Re: First timer. Critique my germination process and my veg room. [Re: mad capper]
    #512769 - 01/10/11 08:00 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

I use solo plastic cups with a soilless mix like peat, verm and perlite.

What is your ratio?

--------------------
It looks like it's going to be another Gravity Bong type day...

Offlinemad capper
old head
Male

Re: First timer. Critique my germination process and my veg room. [Re: muse42]
    #512780 - 01/10/11 08:11 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

3 parts peat, 2 parts perlite,1 part verm and some dolo lime to offset PH of the peat. We didnt use alot of coco a few years back but that seems like a good sub for peat cuz i think the PH is more stable.

--------------------
*constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil ~ jerry garcia*

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
    #512781 - 01/10/11 08:12 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Pandor said:

You can transplant whenever you want but I wait for my coco plugs to fill out with roots so that the bottoms have multiple roots showing and not just the tap root then I cut away the plastic as gently as possible and transplant into a larger container.

IMO, letting the roots fill up the container leads to the strongest root ball possible, as does as many transplants as possible however the more transplants you do the less efficient your crop gets in terms of labor and time and cost to an extent. So that's something to consider.

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

Re: First timer. Critique my germination process and my veg room. [Re: maryanne3087]
    #512785 - 01/10/11 08:15 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

hey mad capper

I see you have been reading up on Hempy, I was about to suggest it to you before I saw you fond it on another thread. I'm thinking on going that way myself.

--------------------

Offlinemad capper
old head
Male

#512793 - 01/10/11 08:36 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

yea man im all about the hempy right now. It seems great and close to what i used to do just a different container. Ive used foxfarm and i see people using that so im gonna give it a shot.

--------------------

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

Re: First timer. Critique my germination process and my veg room. [Re: mad capper]
    #512806 - 01/10/11 09:17 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I use it in soil and I'm new to growing.  Only on my 3rd grow.

--------------------

Offlinemad capper
old head
Male

#512846 - 01/10/11 11:04 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

since youre doing soil, do you use nitron A 35 ? I played with soil a bit cuz i learned from a bunch of hippies and organic was real popular in our circle. I was seduced by the simplicity of pre made nute teas opposed to getting my soil balanced with amendments. Even in a soilless mix id throw in eathworm castings and Nitron A 35 and then superthrive.I like Eathjuice and maxicrop as well as Alaska fish emulsions.

--------------------

InvisiblePandor

#512991 - 01/11/11 01:01 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

maryanne3087 said:
Quote:

Pandor said:

You can transplant whenever you want but I wait for my coco plugs to fill out with roots so that the bottoms have multiple roots showing and not just the tap root then I cut away the plastic as gently as possible and transplant into a larger container.

IMO, letting the roots fill up the container leads to the strongest root ball possible, as does as many transplants as possible however the more transplants you do the less efficient your crop gets in terms of labor and time and cost to an extent. So that's something to consider.

The only thing that worries me is that you say "multiple roots showing". The roots that have grown out of the bottoms have shriveled up and died.

This morning I found one plant is leaning over and it's leaves are actually touching the dirt.

The more I read and hear about these plugs, the more I don't like my using them.

I am seriously considering going out to buy little plastic cups and transplanting these. Either in to a soil less mix, or orgainic (FF, yes I researched) soil.

If I go with the soil, should I continue to skip the nutes?
With the soiless mix, is the following picture a good nute?
This is what the guy at the store recommended.

Oh and one more question.

If you use little cups, do you make holes in the bottom?

Thanks everyone for you input on my thread. I really love this site just as much as I loved using Shroomery.

OfflineChillWillis
old school fool

#513069 - 01/11/11 06:19 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

pics of the plant(s) would help your cause

if you get the FF soil you won't need nutrients for a little while, but some people take the more aggressive approach and feed them within reason.
you're really only going to need to feed seedlings/young plants nutes when using a medium that doesn't contain any nutrients like hempy buckets.

no matter what you're growing in you're always going to need drainage otherwise your plants will drown or build up mold/bacteria. so yes put holes in the solo cups or whatever.

Clonex isn't really a nutrient it's made for starting clones from cuttings off of mature plants. I don't really think you'll need it for awhile.

--------------------

It's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom.

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
    #513154 - 01/11/11 11:16 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Pandor said:
Quote:

maryanne3087 said:
Quote:

Pandor said:

The only thing that worries me is that you say "multiple roots showing". The roots that have grown out of the bottoms have shriveled up and died.

This morning I found one plant is leaning over and it's leaves are actually touching the dirt.

The more I read and hear about these plugs, the more I don't like my using them.

I am seriously considering going out to buy little plastic cups and transplanting these. Either in to a soil less mix, or orgainic (FF, yes I researched) soil.

If I go with the soil, should I continue to skip the nutes?
With the soiless mix, is the following picture a good nute?
This is what the guy at the store recommended.

Oh and one more question.

If you use little cups, do you make holes in the bottom?

Thanks everyone for you input on my thread. I really love this site just as much as I loved using Shroomery.

I put like 2-4 holes into solo cups (16oz beer cups) and sometimes use those usually for clones. I also have slightly smaller square pots I use.

The plugs I use are filled by myself, it's just a tray with a bunch of cells I fill with coco.

I'd transplant if your plants are flopping over. That's really odd assuming I'm understanding you right, that your tap root broke through the bottom then died. What I meant by fill out the start cube with roots is basically what's shown on the CLonex bottle you posted, but I probably wouldn't wait that long.

InvisiblePandor

Re: First timer. Critique my germination process and my veg room. [Re: ChillWillis]
    #513175 - 01/12/11 02:00 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Yes, the tap roots reach the bottom and shrivel up and die. I would post a pic, but I tried to previously and you don't really see much due to the small size of the plants and the light.

I originally thought this was due to the standing water. Although I was always careful not to over water, at first I was not dumping the little bit of excess out. Now I am. Still the plants that have since had their taproot hit the bottom have also had theirs shrivel up.

The plants appear healthy for the most part except for the root at the bottom. It also seems that growth has slowed more then it should have. This is obviously speculation since this is my first time around. I was thinking that the stall in growth is because they need a transplant and/or nutes.

Quote:

ChillWillis said:
pics of the plant(s) would help your cause

if you get the FF soil you won't need nutrients for a little while, but some people take the more aggressive approach and feed them within reason.
you're really only going to need to feed seedlings/young plants nutes when using a medium that doesn't contain any nutrients like hempy buckets.

no matter what you're growing in you're always going to need drainage otherwise your plants will drown or build up mold/bacteria. so yes put holes in the solo cups or whatever.

Clonex isn't really a nutrient it's made for starting clones from cuttings off of mature plants. I don't really think you'll need it for awhile.

On the bottom of the Clonex bottle, it says "clone and seedling nutrient 1-0.4-1" If I do go the soiless mix route, is this OK to use? Or just go buy something else? Recommendations on products?

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
    #513195 - 01/12/11 08:37 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I don't personally use clonex but you should have ennough nutrients in your tap water/stored within the cotyledon/embryo until your plants at least develop a couple of sets of leaves at which point you can give them some nutrients. I use 140ppm tap water until the 2nd set of true leaves, then I give them 300ppm dilute nutrients and increase accordingly.

OfflineChillWillis
old school fool

#513204 - 01/12/11 09:45 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

oh if it says that then follow the directions on the bottle.

but....as maryanne3087 said your plants don't really need any nutrients for the first week or so, until the growth of the second set of fan leafs

--------------------

It's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom.

InvisiblePandor

Re: First timer. Critique my germination process and my veg room. [Re: ChillWillis]
    #513230 - 01/12/11 01:17 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

So......

I've been literally driving myself crazy all morning searching this and other forums trying to decide if I want to transplant them in to soil or coco.

Here's a picture update.

If I do decide to go the coco route, Would this stuff be ok?
It's just compressed coco bricks. These are laying around because I used them for mushroom cultivation.

It seems they are safe to use but I figured I would put them up here just in case someone has had a bad experience with it.

Offlinemad capper
old head
Male

#513261 - 01/12/11 03:53 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

coco should fine that particular coir hasnt been treated with trich which actually helps in this hobby. So another coco may be better suited , but not sure how much difference that is gonna make. Check out soilless mixes . I can help out with that, thats all i use. I do soilless, passive hydro, with organic teas. Im gonna sub peat with coco and going with Hempy style.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder