Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineEdsTnT2666
Male

Loc: Square in the heart of Mi... Flag
Craftsman Appreciation Contest!!! Win a Big Eye Afzelia Burl Dugout now thru 12-19-10!!!
    #499612 - 11/20/10 09:02 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Ok how bout this one for a giveaway/contest kinda thing, had a great suggestion from a member and wanna go with it, I am gonna have a "Craftsman Appreciation Contest/Giveaway" that will start today and end on Dec. 19th so the winner will receive their own Big Eye Afzelia Burl Dugout worth $75 as a great Christmas Gift. Afzelia Burl with big bright eyes like in these pieces are becoming increasingly harder and harder to find. This piece would be one of the most rarest I have made and will be an awesome win for any contestant here.

I want anyone that wants to enter this contest to make their very own wooden smoking piece and would like them to take pictures at different stages of the creation process and submit them so that we may all see the transformation, and really get into what it takes to make a wooden pipe. The contest will begin today the 11-20-10 and continue for bout a month. The winner will be announced on 12-19-10 and shipped on 12-20-10 just in time for Christmas.

I know it will be fun and do look forward to everyone entries, I wish you all luck and look forward to it!

--------------------
Choice Wooden Pipes & Dugouts that are the BOMB! www.edstnt.com

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
Re: Craftsman Appreciation Contest!!! Win a Big Eye Afzelia Burl Dugout now thru 12-19-10!!! [Re: EdsTnT2666]
    #499977 - 11/21/10 07:15 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Hmmm I don't know how many submissions you will actually get, but since I have access to wood and have some woodworking tools, I wouldn't mind trying.

My first ever pipe was hand crafted by me, and my buds on the hockey team nicknamed her "the widdler"  :lol:

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

Offlineauronlives69
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Craftsman Appreciation Contest!!! Win a Big Eye Afzelia Burl Dugout now thru 12-19-10!!! [Re: EdsTnT2666]
    #500043 - 11/22/10 02:53 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

my friend is a master craftsman of wooden pipes, too bad hes in jail

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Loc: Devils Marbles Flag
Re: Craftsman Appreciation Contest!!! Win a Big Eye Afzelia Burl Dugout now thru 12-19-10!!! [Re: auronlives69]
    #500060 - 11/22/10 08:02 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I'm so making a pipe now, need to get on this tomorrow

--------------------

OfflineEdsTnT2666
Male

Re: Craftsman Appreciation Contest!!! Win a Big Eye Afzelia Burl Dugout now thru 12-19-10!!! [Re: Inverted]
    #500062 - 11/22/10 08:27 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Inverted said:
Hmmm I don't know how many submissions you will actually get, but since I have access to wood and have some woodworking tools, I wouldn't mind trying.

My first ever pipe was hand crafted by me, and my buds on the hockey team nicknamed her "the widdler"  :lol:

Its really only as hard as one may make it, anyone is capable of making their own piece, it will be exciting for them as well as the rest of us, I look forward to everyones work!

--------------------

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
    #500083 - 11/22/10 11:31 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I'm bored today.
Would it be acceptable to use deer antlers instead of wood?
I think I'll make a one hitter, a steam roller bowl, and a plain ol bowl as well.

OfflineEdsTnT2666
Male

Re: Craftsman Appreciation Contest!!! Win a Big Eye Afzelia Burl Dugout now thru 12-19-10!!! [Re: Stoneth]
    #500085 - 11/22/10 11:46 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

stoney.69 said:
I'm bored today.
Would it be acceptable to use deer antlers instead of wood?
I think I'll make a one hitter, a steam roller bowl, and a plain ol bowl as well.

I will go for that, Good luck!

--------------------

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
    #500090 - 11/22/10 12:38 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

:cool:
I should have them done and posted later tonight.

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

#500172 - 11/22/10 07:32 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Ed,

I have some sweet cocobolo in my shop right now.  I would like to make a bowl out of it.  Do you know if it is safe to burn in?  Are the cocobolo pipes on your site treated/protected inside the bowl?

Are there any woods we should avoid due to health concerns?

The only pipes I have ever carved before were 2-piece catlinite prayer pipes.

--------------------
I am not a cannabis grower.  I find the cannabis growers to be the most open to experimenting and sharing out of all of the different botany groups I enjoy.  I frequently use the suggestions that I find to apply to own organic gardening and food production.

OfflineEdsTnT2666
Male

Re: Craftsman Appreciation Contest!!! Win a Big Eye Afzelia Burl Dugout now thru 12-19-10!!! [Re: Stoneth]
    #500238 - 11/23/10 07:17 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

stoney.69 said:
:cool:
I should have them done and posted later tonight.

I look forward to it!

--------------------

OfflineEdsTnT2666
Male

Re: Craftsman Appreciation Contest!!! Win a Big Eye Afzelia Burl Dugout now thru 12-19-10!!! [Re: CrayolaHalls]
    #500240 - 11/23/10 07:26 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

CrayolaHalls said:
Ed,

I have some sweet cocobolo in my shop right now.  I would like to make a bowl out of it.  Do you know if it is safe to burn in?  Are the cocobolo pipes on your site treated/protected inside the bowl?

Are there any woods we should avoid due to health concerns?

The only pipes I have ever carved before were 2-piece catlinite prayer pipes.

I have been selling these Coco tokes for a while and have seen other guys making pipes of all kinds, sizes, etc. for years with it. What you want to be concerned with would be the moisture content of any of your wood when used for pipes, you want to wood to be as dry as possible to prevent any of the sap and such to enter your lungs. As far as different woods to use for pipes I guess that would be up to you what flavor you like and do your research on that species and see what you come up with.

I look forward to your work and your submission here, good luck!

--------------------

Invisibledrawde
Re: Craftsman Appreciation Contest!!! Win a Big Eye Afzelia Burl Dugout now thru 12-19-10!!! [Re: CrayolaHalls]
    #500323 - 11/23/10 01:44 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I do not think cocobolo should be a problem as long as you seal it. Natura oil is a good non-toxic oil you could use. The real concern with coco is the dust so make sure you use a mask, or you could have an allergic reaction.

--------------------
King Koopa said:
The amount of pot that Gask smokes is equivalent to a guy shooting heroin on weekends

OfflineEdsTnT2666
Male

Re: Craftsman Appreciation Contest!!! Win a Big Eye Afzelia Burl Dugout now thru 12-19-10!!! [Re: drawde]
    #501377 - 11/28/10 08:06 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I am sure everyone has had a chance to check this giveaway, lets see some submissions, I know someone has got to be working something up, this Ed's TnT\ Big Eye Afzelia Burl Dugout is a sweet piece to win!

--------------------

Invisibledrawde
    #501449 - 11/28/10 02:02 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I am working on something. That dugout sure is a beauty Ed.
Stay tuned. :wink:

--------------------
King Koopa said:
The amount of pot that Gask smokes is equivalent to a guy shooting heroin on weekends

OfflineEdsTnT2666
Male

Re: Craftsman Appreciation Contest!!! Win a Big Eye Afzelia Burl Dugout now thru 12-19-10!!! [Re: drawde]
    #501585 - 11/29/10 07:05 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

drawde said:
I am working on something. That dugout sure is a beauty Ed.
Stay tuned. :wink:

Good deal, looks kinda like your gonna be the winner if no one else gets involved, sure am lookin forward to your creation.

--------------------

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

#502090 - 11/30/10 08:25 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Finally got off my ass.  I couldn't let this one slip away without at least trying.

I laid out all my potential wood pieces from the shop.  Cocobolo, burl, oak, etc...

I took a good look at that grain of the cocobolo and knew I wanted to do something with it badly.  I love the color too.  Note differences in the grain.  I think the white is sap wood and the darker is older.

But since I haven't done much with wood recently I thought I should take the 3/4" x 6" blunt of burl and make a simple bowl out of it.  started by clamping it down and grabbing a 1/2" drill bit.

I put the 1/2" bowl hole in and then used an extra long 3/16" drill bit to drill the stem part.  I am partial to a 3/16".  I think it gives a good draw.

Then I did some sanding and shaping.  I would really have liked to have started with 1" sq stock, but this worked anyway.  I am concerned about how long the sides will hold up in the long run.

I was pretty happy with the end result after using 220 and then 500 grit paper to smooth it out. Sealed with pure beeswax.  I like to apply a liberal coat of beeswax and then heat in the oven.  Once the piece is pretty hot it will let me work the wax easily and remove all excess.

And then on to the cocobolo for my main project...

I started by sketching the bowl area out.  This is going to be a "sun" piece, so I am starting round.

Then I sketched in the stem.

Pieces were rough cut.  Note that I started another piece here.  I had another idea, but it went bust.

After roughing out pieces I always like to drill the necessary holes.  I do not have a drill press, I do everything with a pretty crude lineup of power tools.  This is why I start with the holes.

I scrapped that piece for now and then took a deep breath for the almost 11" x 3/16" hole in the sun pipe.  SUCCESS!

I did some more smoothing and roughing out.  This is far from finished, but I am tired and will need to complete later this week.

12/19.... pipe completion...

Next up was to remove some stock to get the feel and shape I had intended.  Various files, plans, and microplanes were used.

I really wanted the stem to be slightly thinner than the tickest part of the bowl.  Also, I wanted to radiating edges of the bowl to get slightly thinner on the way out.  This was both for touch-comfort and reduction of overall weight.  I like a long stemmed pipe, but not necessarily something that feels like a small club.

Then it was time to get out some of my detailing chisels to carve out the sun that I had envisioned for the bowl area.

I only ended up using the chisel on the left.  I like its combination of penetrating depth and narrow width.

After looking real close, I decided that the carved sun rays were not as pronounced as I wanted them.  I decided to highlight the rays with a woodburner.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find it.  Instead I employed the soldering irons I use for my stained glass projects.

Rays were darkened.  Piece was sanded with 60, 80, and 120 grit sandpaper.  I would have used finer sandpaper but I felt it was unnecessary, plus I think I have a couple places I might eventually go back and rework.  I used 200+ sandpapers on items that I want to be really smooth and to show off fine wood details.

I am a huge fan of using beeswax to seal most wood projects.  The beeswax comes from a neighbor and is pure and sweet smelling.  It is cheap too.  I melt beeswax in old pie pans, then I use a rag to liberally apply it. 

After applying the beeswax I take the piece and place it in an oven until it is about 150-200f.  That gets the wood to start soaking it in and the beeswax super easy to buff.  This is how the "sun pipe" turned out.

I think I may go back and rework some places on the stem, but I might just let it go as is.  I like how it handles and draws.  I am glad I had some motivation to get out an do this.

Edited by CrayolaHalls (12/19/10 04:56 PM)

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
    #502171 - 11/30/10 10:22 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Go fuck yourself crayola! :lol:

I have no woodworking experience, and I was gonna give it a shot, but now...fuck all that.
No way I can do anything like that!

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

Re: Craftsman Appreciation Contest!!! Win a Big Eye Afzelia Burl Dugout now thru 12-19-10!!! [Re: 81renaissance]
    #502182 - 11/30/10 10:39 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

81renaissance said:
Go fuck yourself crayola! :lol:

I have no woodworking experience, and I was gonna give it a shot, but now...fuck all that.
No way I can do anything like that!

Damn.  I think you should try anyway.  My favorite pipe ever was a walnut bowl a friend made for me when I was 15.  He did it in 20 minutes in wood shop class.  It was simple, but sooo nice.  I am thinking about getting one of Ed's walnut pieces.

I'm going to take that as a compliment and say thank you 81renaissance.

--------------------
I am not a cannabis grower.  I find the cannabis growers to be the most open to experimenting and sharing out of all of the different botany groups I enjoy.  I frequently use the suggestions that I find to apply to own organic gardening and food production.

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
    #502184 - 11/30/10 10:41 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

You should take it as a complement, it was intended as such.:yesnod:
Seriously though, any tips for me before I embarrass myself?

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

Re: Craftsman Appreciation Contest!!! Win a Big Eye Afzelia Burl Dugout now thru 12-19-10!!! [Re: 81renaissance]
    #502189 - 11/30/10 10:49 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

81renaissance said:
You should take it as a complement, it was intended as such.:yesnod:
Seriously though, any tips for me before I embarrass myself?

• Sketch out what you want first.
  • Only rough out your piece before you drill your holes.  If you slip up then you haven't invested too much time and can start over.
  • You can get different kinds of wood at some Lowes stores.  Rockler stores are much better if you can find them.  A nice pattern in the wood can help hide mistakes.
  • Take your time to polish with fine sandpaper and use something like beeswax to make the piece shine.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale