Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGreen Horn

Whatever can go wrong will go wrong
    #49465 - 06/02/08 11:09 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

When I moved to my new place, my roommate forgot to mention that he had been using the closet to my room to grow hydroponics. He eventually moved out and left me with an HPS light. I decided that there's no reason not to take off where my roomy left off.

So far I've started to grow with soil the first week of May/08.

The closet space is 3'10"x2'10"x6'2"

I pulled all the hydro gear out of there excluding the HPS lamp, stripped the the silver paper off of the wall, removed all of the mold and put up aluminum foil.

I wrapped some Afghani Indica crossed with a Purple-Power Sativa in a wet paper towel and placed it under my bed. Assuming it would take a week for them to germ, (especially since I didn't add any nutrients), I didn't bother to buy anything else. After two days, these fertile bastards popped out their roots and were begging for soil.

In a moment of panic, I grabbed whatever flower pots were available and stuck it under the HPS light, since I heard it was a sufficient light for vegging.

I left them in there for a week without considering a vent system. they looked fine, until the first heat wave hit California. In some regions of the silicon valley it the 100's. The heat wave hit 30 days sooner than it was supposed to. Without a vent or even a fan on, and a hotter than Hades HPS lamp burning away my babies' lives, and foil reflecting the heat on every square inch of the closet, the plants wilted close to their death. I stuck them outside just so they would be in an environment 10 degrees cooler.

The next day, I called a friend up who had real experience with growing and went to a hardware store to pickup some panda paper and some Fluo tubes.

I got 2 full spectrum T5 grow tubes

40 watts
48 in
2200 lumens
92% accurate color rendering

I also got 2 CFL's

75 watts
1200 lumens

After I propped up the panda paper and installed our new lights, I set the timer to a 16 hour period to save on the electric bill.

I redid the vent system and through in a small fan to keep the air flowing and the heat down to a bare minimum.

I added a nutrient supplement that literally brought it back to life.

Today, Jun 2nd, I added two CFL's and a friend of mine gave me 4 Afghanis that he'd been growing outside. Their very tall. I'm hoping the change in light will get them to stay stout.

100 watts
1600 lumens

Hopefully I'll be able to find a spot for vegging and just use the closet for flowering. Pretty soon I'm going to have to replant the Afghans. I'll be leaving the crossbreads alone. They've gone through enough shock. For now I'm going to use the HPS for the budding stage until I can switch to LED.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Whatever can go wrong will go wrong [Re: Green Horn]
    #49617 - 06/03/08 02:21 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Green Horn said:
For now I'm going to use the HPS for the budding stage until I can switch to LED.

If you are planning on switching to LED due to the heat of the HPS, I'd suggest that you take a look towards using ceramic metal halide (CMH) instead. It produces significantly less heat than the HPS and will work with most HPS ballasts (they don't have 600 or 1000 watt CMH though). If your ballast is compatible, its merely the cost of the bulb, which is about as expensive as one for an HPS. If you're planning on switching to LED because of a better light spectrum, I'd suggest CMH as well. LED is too expensive IMO to consider using it for a basic grow, although LED's do show promise for the future.

--------------------

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

Re: Whatever can go wrong will go wrong [Re: Sirius]
    #49680 - 06/03/08 07:07 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

you should have left the mylar on the walls

foil = :thumbdown:

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Whatever can go wrong will go wrong [Re: Yrat]
    #49762 - 06/03/08 09:29 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I believe he has panda film up now, and I think he mentioned having to clean mold or something, so that might have been why he had to take the mylar down... :shrug:

--------------------

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

Re: Whatever can go wrong will go wrong [Re: Sirius]
    #49806 - 06/03/08 11:28 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

ah ok

i just didn't see anything up in the after-shots

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

OfflineGreen Horn

#49862 - 06/03/08 01:15 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

There aren't any after-shots really. I didn't start shooting until two weeks ago. This project is four weeks in the making. There was mold covering the mylar. I probably should have made that more clear but I was typing in a rush that night.

The one thing I didn't take shots of which I'm proud of is the vent sucking air from outside and pulling heat from the HPS lamp. I'll post more pics next week.

I gave the plants more earth juice last night with impressive results once again.

As for the LED's I added that in to the post hoping for some suggestions on other lights. Thanks Sirius. I hope to some day go completely LED, but I have other important things to do with my money. I need to get some new brewing equipment and start making some good beer again.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #49865 - 06/03/08 01:17 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

After I propped up the panda paper and installed our new lights, I set the timer to a 16 hour period to save on the electric bill.

well, you need to up the light period by 2 hrs if you want to be on an 18/6 schedule.

But in all honest, if your only goal is to save on the electric bill, you'll be much better off using a 24/0 cycle. 220 watts will only run you 19$ (using an estimate of .12$/kwh) per month. The 24/0 cycle is more efficient and will produce faster growth for you. The 18/6 cycle saves you about 4-5$ so it's really not saving you anything at all.

Quote:

LED is too expensive IMO to consider using it for a basic grow, although LED's do show promise for the future.

It's interesting in an experimental way, but until there's more solid evidence supporting it i wouldn't use it in a serious grow. If the person is really determined to use them i'd still suggest they only use them as a supplement to some other form of lighting.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates