Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleiStoner
Astral Beast
Male

Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy
    #489938 - 10/20/10 08:20 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I just finished the book, i need to go out and get the others in the series though.

but i just cant figure out, why was the answer to life... the universe.... and everything!? 42.
i just cant grasp it, i would like to know what your opinion is. what do you think the reasoning behind 42 is?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleiStoner
Astral Beast
Male

Re: Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy [Re: iStoner]
    #489939 - 10/20/10 08:21 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

#489945 - 10/20/10 08:34 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Because they were using a computer to try to find out the answer to the universe. But is symbolizes the way we use science today to figure out the "answers", like physics. Whatever the answer is to life, the universe, and everything in it, it's not going to be so as straight foward. Also, the big brain computer answered that question only to find out she didn't understand the question, which is why she built the 10 billion year old program called "earth" to computer the answer. HAHA

Dude, you won't be dissapoint when you read the whole series. They actually go back to the "42" in like the 4th book i think.

--------------------
Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

Re: Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy [Re: King Koopa]
    #489948 - 10/20/10 08:38 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

PROOFREAD AND EDITED.

--------------------
Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

#489952 - 10/20/10 08:42 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

iStoner said:

After the awkward silence following the computer's answer, a man in the crowd screamed 42!!??!?!.

So great.:awesome:

--------------------

Edited by King Koopa (10/20/10 09:09 PM)

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
    #489969 - 10/20/10 09:37 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

For some reason the number 42 has always been my favorite and I have never known why, it just popped into my head as a child... :shrug:

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

OfflineNizzyJones
Fight Evil with Funk
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhat North of Normal
Re: Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy [Re: Inverted]
    #490206 - 10/21/10 08:54 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

That's why the rest of the series is about the search for the ultimate question.

I'd just like to say whoever was responsible for the script of that that horrible fucking Hollywood movie after Douglas died will be the first ones up against the wall when the revelation comes.

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

Re: Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy [Re: NizzyJones]
    #490229 - 10/21/10 09:50 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

NizzyJones said:
will be the first ones up against the wall when the revolution comes

:thumbup:

Edited by God (10/21/10 10:05 PM)

OfflineNatorade
LsDmThC
Male

Loc: CA Flag
Re: Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy [Re: God]
    #490231 - 10/21/10 09:58 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

oh god the movie was fucking terrible

OfflineJefferson
Space Cowboy
Male

Re: Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy [Re: Natorade]
    #490242 - 10/21/10 10:19 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

The second book in the series(The Restaurant At the End of the Universe) was kinda boring and uneventful so I stopped reading it halfway through.  I'll pick it up again reread the first book and commit myself sometime.

If you're looking for the rest of the series I've seen them all over second hand book stores for real cheap.

--------------------

OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

Re: Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy [Re: Jefferson]
    #490247 - 10/21/10 10:31 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

The second book is brilliant, and the movie was genius.

--------------------

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

#490265 - 10/21/10 10:48 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Koopa said:
the movie was genius

:feelsbadman:

OfflineJefferson
Space Cowboy
Male

#490269 - 10/21/10 10:58 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

:confused:

--------------------

OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

#490270 - 10/21/10 11:02 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

:Feelsofuckinggoodman:

--------------------

OfflineJefferson
Space Cowboy
Male

#490271 - 10/21/10 11:03 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

King Koopa said:
:Feelsofuckinggoodman:

Smiley fail.

--------------------

OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

#490274 - 10/21/10 11:08 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

No it wasn't. :overyourhead:

--------------------

OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

#490280 - 10/21/10 11:17 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

lolol.

--------------------
If you ain't smokin' dro, you're smokin' reggie. :shrug:

InvisibleiStoner
Astral Beast
Male

#490305 - 10/22/10 05:13 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

NizzyJones said:

I'd just like to say whoever was responsible for the script of that that horrible fucking Hollywood movie after Douglas died will be the first ones up against the wall when the revelation comes.

adams has some part in the script before he died. After he died though is when they started production or something like that :shrug:
i wish the movie was closer to the book because i really liked the actors and everthing. i thought marvin was hilarious. The BBC series though, was good and alot closer to the book, but just didnt like how old it was.

--------------------

InvisibleiStoner
Astral Beast
Male

#490306 - 10/22/10 05:15 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------

Invisibledrawde
    #490312 - 10/22/10 06:47 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I liked the movie, but just a little bit more than "that was alright", so I have to admit it kind of turned me off getting into the series. Maybe I should dive in.

--------------------
King Koopa said:
The amount of pot that Gask smokes is equivalent to a guy shooting heroin on weekends

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
    #490313 - 10/22/10 06:47 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

NizzyJones said:
That's why the rest of the series is about the search for the ultimate question.

Yeah, you can tell the point where he died during production of the movie :sad:

I read this (and the other stories) prolly 5-6 times in the last 4 years. I love to read, but I rarely find a book that I enjoy. This one was awesome for me.

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Re: Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy [Re: RasJeph]
    #490316 - 10/22/10 07:59 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

the movie was just disappointing to me because they tried to cram all 5 books into a single 2 hour show, and that just can't work. I would have loved to see a 5 movie contract for the series though, it had potential to be downright incredible if they gave it the kind of attention it deserved :shrug:

Absolutely my favorite book series of all time though :grin:

--------------------

OfflineNizzyJones
Fight Evil with Funk
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhat North of Normal
Re: Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #490324 - 10/22/10 08:39 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, Arthur getting the girl was just bullshit too. He's supposed to be a total loser! That's the whole beauty of the character!

Invisiblestill beLIEve
State Property..Again
Male

Loc: a world thats not my own
    #490343 - 10/22/10 09:14 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

i might try to read these!

--------------------
niteowl said:
See, that term pedo gets thrown around a lot.
Is a 16 year old guy having sex w/a 16 year old girl a pedophile?
If not, then how is a 30 year old considered a pedophile for doing the same thing?
I think y'all need to look up the definition for pedophile.

OfflineJefferson
Space Cowboy
Male

Re: Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy [Re: still beLIEve]
    #490376 - 10/22/10 10:23 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I dunno guys I think the movie exposed a lot of us that didn't know about the book.  I know I saw the movie long before I expressed any interest in reading the book.  But don't panic I still think the movie is cool just not as good as the book.  With so many incarnations(the radio show, the tv show, the movie, and the book) I like to think of the movie as a separate entity from the book.  Both are good but both are different.

--------------------

OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

#490385 - 10/22/10 10:39 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Same here. The movie is what got me interested in reading the books. I try to separate the book and the movie, because if I didn't, I would completely hate the movie.

I was completely amazed by the movies subject matter, and unfamiliar humor. And this was around the time where I first got interested in psychedelics. Fate or deja vu?  It really got me interested in british comedy.

Mos def's acting was pretty lame but not off putting. Zoey's is cute like always. And my nigga Sam Rockwell created one of my favorite movie characters EVAR.:zaphod:

AWESOME

--------------------

OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

#490387 - 10/22/10 10:41 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

"zaphod's just this guy, you know?" :lol:

--------------------

OfflineJefferson
Space Cowboy
Male

#490393 - 10/22/10 10:49 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

King Koopa said:
Zoey's is cute like always.

AWESOME

I saw her sing god bless america during the seventh inning stretch a few days ago for the Giants Phillies game.  I was like Deschanel?  Why do I know that name?  Is that Bones?  Then I figured out it was her sister.  Both hot though but its weird that they could almost pass for twins.  They even sound the same.

--------------------

InvisibleiStoner
Astral Beast
Male

#490578 - 10/22/10 08:52 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Jefferson said:
I dunno guys I think the movie exposed a lot of us that didn't know about the book.  I know I saw the movie long before I expressed any interest in reading the book.  But don't panic I still think the movie is cool just not as good as the book.  With so many incarnations(the radio show, the tv show, the movie, and the book) I like to think of the movie as a separate entity from the book.  Both are good but both are different.

true, i got into the movie before the book.
i really loved the movie, unitl i read the first book. im getting restraunt at the end of the universe tomorrow.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom