Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleGod
Yahweh

Re: Seed trouble [Re: lifemaker]
    #489617 - 10/19/10 10:27 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, without cutting that room up smaller, a lot of light could be wasted.  If you're only running a couple plants, you might be able to put up a wall (something cheap and flat white, like poster board) to reflect the excess light back at your plants.  Then, when you want more plants, you can take down the wall and spread out.  Just keep in mind that at that point you'll need more than 2x more light.

As for ventilation, it's pretty crucial.  Some people just leave their closet door cracked most of the time and put an oscillating fan right inside to push air in and out.  Note that that doesn't do anything about the smell; if you want to contain the smell, you need to run everything in a closed loop through a carbon filter.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelostinbq
!!!STARNGE!!!!

Re: Seed trouble [Re: God]
    #489726 - 10/20/10 11:20 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

God said:
As for ventilation, it's pretty crucial.  Some people just leave their closet door cracked most of the time and put an oscillating fan right inside to push air in and out.  Note that that doesn't do anything about the smell; if you want to contain the smell, you need to run everything in a closed loop through a carbon filter.

this is what i did till i got ahold of a saw to make the 2 holes i needed for the fans. worked great. smelled like:vaped:

--------------------
Everyone are you ready for doom,
Because I've blackened the sun,
And I've bloodied the moon.
I bring gloom when I step in the room,
With the fumes of a tomb.
flowers bloom when Im taken away
:rofldrunk:

Offlinelifemaker
Stranger

Re: Seed trouble [Re: lostinbq]
    #489772 - 10/20/10 01:10 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

that sounds like a great idea
i will be splitting the room in two with some cheap material such as the "wall" you suggested, definately want to make good use of the hps light

and i'll probably keep the door cracked, which an oscillating fan inside for the time being and leave the (far superior in all ways) proper ventilation for the next grow. i figured maybe the big space would require a little less ventilation cause there's plenty of C02 in there, but yeah if the light is gonna spend more time warming my furnature than my plants i guess there's no point using the whole space with 1 light

and i guess a carbon filter is in order later on, as well. the smell isn't too much of a problem, i mean i smoke in my apartment and usually take a few measures to prevent too much smell leak but sometimes i forget, you know how it is, and noone has complained yet, i am on great terms with the owner of the building as well

so unless the smell busts thru my closet, thru my room w/ closed door, thru the hall w/ another closed door and thru the front door and in a very noticable way, it shouldn't be much of a problem. if it is i'll start improvising some smell containment/ventilation

thanks for all the help, answering my prayers as usual :laugh:

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

Re: Seed trouble [Re: lifemaker]
    #489787 - 10/20/10 01:58 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

lifemaker said:
so unless the smell busts thru my closet, thru my room w/ closed door, thru the hall w/ another closed door and thru the front door and in a very noticable way...

:yesnod: Be careful what you wish for!  Seriously though, don't potentially compromise your safety by underestimating how impressive a cannabis plant can smell.  There are some "low-odor" strains; C99 is supposedly one of them, and I'm about to replace the carbon in my filter, as it's no longer very effective.  The first thing I've been thinking as I walk in the front door for the last week or so is, "Mmmm, yummyweed!  Oh, right, bad..."

Don't worry though, you have plenty of time.  It probably won't get too noticeable until flowering, which you can control the timing of.  And carbon filters are expensive to buy, but relatively cheap to make.  Here.

Offlinelifemaker
Stranger

Re: Seed trouble [Re: God]
    #489855 - 10/20/10 05:55 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

hahah i know exactly how that feels

i've walked into my home and my friend (roommate, long time friend) would be smoking some great buds X person brought along. i'd walk in and think wow good smoke, then close the door and revise that into "wait a minute, maybe we should smoke in the kitchen til this guy's gone.."

haha, all in good fun though.

solid advice, the be careful what you wish for line.. i guess i'm looking at stronger scents as i get better at this, so if i have any beginner's luck or proper air circulation i'm already doomed to improvise a carbon filter it would seem

great to know that beforehand though. it would be good to cut down the smell, cause when my folks visit i would like for the smell to be a little more abidable, they're ok with the plants but i dont know how much they'll dig my home if it smells like a rainforest each time they visit (guess i'll have to put off my life dream for a few years)

thanks again!

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies