Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleHendershot
Shapeshifter
Male User Gallery

Re: any of you believe in god? [Re: niteowl]
    #460986 - 08/15/10 08:11 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

This thread was started by one of our brothers who is having a pretty rough time right now. He is obviously looking for some hope, some meaning, some reason for living. He didn't ask about philosophy or a set of beliefs- he asked about God.
i Stoner- I believe there is a God. For most of my life I've been a cynical, sarcastic jackoff who loved nothing better than to argue with a person of faith, and beat him up with cold hard logic.. I went through a lot of rough times, and considered ending my life as well. I finally had to set aside my false pride and bloated ego enough to realize and admit that I don't know everything. These people I sneered at had something I didn't- hope.
I didn't just say" oh okay there is a God, and Jesus was his Son". I researched and went to different churches until I saw enough to convince me that it is okay to believe in something, that I'm not weak for doing so. I had my share of run ins with with judgmental Christians, trust me( I have a tatoo of the devil on my arm), I just had to realize that they too are human, and therefore flawed.
I believe in God, and I believe that this life is a test. It's all about the choices we make, and how we treat our fellow man. You are at a crossroads, my friend. I'm glad you reached out, even if it was to us stoners..
This is the first time I've ever expressed my beliefs to anybody but my wife, so don't think I'm preaching.. just thought you might want to hear from someone who's been there and come through it better than ever.

--------------------

"You're cool, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out.."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleiStoner
Astral Beast
Male

Re: any of you believe in god? [Re: Hendershot]
    #461005 - 08/15/10 08:29 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Hendershot said:
This thread was started by one of our brothers who is having a pretty rough time right now. He is obviously looking for some hope, some meaning, some reason for living. He didn't ask about philosophy or a set of beliefs- he asked about God.
i Stoner- I believe there is a God. For most of my life I've been a cynical, sarcastic jackoff who loved nothing better than to argue with a person of faith, and beat him up with cold hard logic.. I went through a lot of rough times, and considered ending my life as well. I finally had to set aside my false pride and bloated ego enough to realize and admit that I don't know everything. These people I sneered at had something I didn't- hope.
I didn't just say" oh okay there is a God, and Jesus was his Son". I researched and went to different churches until I saw enough to convince me that it is okay to believe in something, that I'm not weak for doing so. I had my share of run ins with with judgmental Christians, trust me( I have a tatoo of the devil on my arm), I just had to realize that they too are human, and therefore flawed.
I believe in God, and I believe that this life is a test. It's all about the choices we make, and how we treat our fellow man. You are at a crossroads, my friend. I'm glad you reached out, even if it was to us stoners..
This is the first time I've ever expressed my beliefs to anybody but my wife, so don't think I'm preaching.. just thought you might want to hear from someone who's been there and come through it better than ever.

:feelsgoodman:

--------------------

OfflineFRACTALife
Rust Fuckin' Cohle
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Carcosa Flag
Re: any of you believe in god? [Re: iStoner]
    #461156 - 08/16/10 12:09 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

This is original god --------------> :feelsweirdman:

All this nothing bouncing around.

So god became :feelsgoodman:

Which then created :feelsbadman:

Trust me, I'm a theology major.  :cheech:

--------------------

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

Re: any of you believe in god? [Re: THEBats]
    #461177 - 08/16/10 12:31 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

THEBats said:
Quote:

A Girl said:
i just think everyone has their own set of beliefs. i dont think i was talking about religion....i was just saying that you can't ever prove anything about God's existence so believing is trusting and so forth without any evidence

A set of beliefs regarding God is religion.

Wouldn't that set of beliefs need to be more systematic?  In fact looking at Websters they seem to confirm: all the definitions deal with systematic belief in a god, or gods, accompanied by worship, ethics, etc

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Re: any of you believe in god? [Re: kyuzo]
    #461181 - 08/16/10 12:37 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I believe that all you need is some form of ritual
associated with your god for it to be a religion

not real sure about that though :uhoh:

--------------------
The Ego is a pathological condition
like a calcareous tumor or cyst
that begins growing in the personality
in the absence of hallucinogenic substances
-Terence McKenna-

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#461276 - 08/16/10 09:15 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

kyuzo said:
Quote:

THEBats said:
Quote:

A Girl said:
i just think everyone has their own set of beliefs. i dont think i was talking about religion....i was just saying that you can't ever prove anything about God's existence so believing is trusting and so forth without any evidence

Wouldn't that set of beliefs need to be more systematic?  In fact looking at Websters they seem to confirm: all the definitions deal with systematic belief in a god, or gods, accompanied by worship, ethics, etc

Most definitions regarding the subject are not set in stone.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:
you know what i did in english class? I came to class stoned out of my mind every day, i chugged vodka in the back of class, i put dead fish in the ceiling tiles. i put a gallon of old milk and orange juice in the file cabinet before winter vacation. i brought snakes in a tied up sweater and let them loose during class. i didnt go to school to learn, i went because i had to. i didnt care, and i didn't fucking listen to that stupid bitch. and i still don't fucking care. i tore the pages out of her books and burned them, and threw away all the books in the class, two books per day.  :twobooks:

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild & Free
    #461297 - 08/16/10 10:44 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Yea, defining religion is pretty difficult. As a lot have things others don't and a lot don't have things most others have.

--------------------
"Je pense, donc je suis (I am thinking, therefore I am)." -Rene Descartes

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

#461359 - 08/16/10 01:32 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

THEBats said:
Quote:

kyuzo said:
Quote:

THEBats said:
Quote:

A Girl said:

Of course definitions change over time.  However, yours seemed overly broad and useless.

OfflineTHEBats
The Bridge Master
Male

#461373 - 08/16/10 01:47 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Religion is a broad topic.

--------------------
kickin-two-hundo said:
you know what i did in english class? I came to class stoned out of my mind every day, i chugged vodka in the back of class, i put dead fish in the ceiling tiles. i put a gallon of old milk and orange juice in the file cabinet before winter vacation. i brought snakes in a tied up sweater and let them loose during class. i didnt go to school to learn, i went because i had to. i didnt care, and i didn't fucking listen to that stupid bitch. and i still don't fucking care. i tore the pages out of her books and burned them, and threw away all the books in the class, two books per day.  :twobooks:

OfflineKilroy
old stoner
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Cold as Hell Flag
    #461376 - 08/16/10 01:50 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

THEBats said:
Religion is a broad topic.

To say the least

--------------------
Just smoke a bowl and get over your self
We are human beings first everything else is second

You can not hold anything I post against me for I am delusional

Offlinekimberlym
the female pothead
Female User Gallery

Loc: jersey for now.
Re: any of you beleive in god? [Re: FarBeyondDriven]
    #461378 - 08/16/10 01:51 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

FarBeyondDriven said:
I believe in God, but I believe in evolution.  I believe things started from God but he had the intentions of things evolving. :shrug:

hmmmm :thumbup:

--------------------
pass that  :stoned:

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

#461398 - 08/16/10 02:08 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

kyuzo said:
Quote:

THEBats said:
Quote:

kyuzo said:
Quote:

THEBats said:

Of course definitions change over time.  However, yours seemed overly broad and useless.

Overly broad and useless.....kinda like religion :tongue:

Quote:

religion
- 5 dictionary results
re·li·gion
   /rɪˈlɪdʒən/ Show Spelled[ri-lij-uhn] Show IPA
–noun

1.a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

2.a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.

3.the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.

4.the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.

5.the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.

6.something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice.

7.religions, Archaic . religious rites.

8.Archaic . strict faithfulness; devotion: a religion to one's vow.

Thats a pretty broad definition

So saying that A set of beliefs regarding God is religion
is a pretty spot on short definition of religion

--------------------
-Terence McKenna-

Edited by niteowl (08/16/10 02:10 PM)

OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

#461399 - 08/16/10 02:09 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Awesome. Now lets talk about religion.

Religion is not hard to define. Religion in my words is a set of beliefs and rules influencing a persons thought and actions in their day to day.

Any disagree?

--------------------
Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

#461401 - 08/16/10 02:11 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

What's so broad about that. It's very absolute and simple.

You can't have god without religion and religion can be found without god.

--------------------
Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

#461416 - 08/16/10 02:21 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

niteowl  said:So saying that A set of beliefs regarding God is religion
is a pretty spot on short definition of religion

How would the absence in belief for a god, or deity, concern "the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe", besides in removing such an element from the equation?

Also, things like science concern "the cause, nature" of the universe, and could even possibly concern purpose.

So again, limiting the definition in such a manner, while ignoring "esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs." doesn't strike me as very useful nor productive

Edited by kyuzo (08/16/10 02:25 PM)

OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

#461419 - 08/16/10 02:25 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

What are you talkig about

--------------------

Edited by King Koopa (08/16/10 02:26 PM)

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

#461422 - 08/16/10 02:26 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

lol you left out especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies

:imslow:

You cant have a religion without god

:sorry:

--------------------
-Terence McKenna-

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Re: any of you believe in god? [Re: King Koopa]
    #461425 - 08/16/10 02:27 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

King Koopa said:
You can't have god without religion and religion can be found without god.

You have that all backwards mate

you cant have a religion without a god
but you can believe in a god without a religion

--------------------
-Terence McKenna-

OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

#461427 - 08/16/10 02:31 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

That'll be like saying god created religion. A person personal religion is just that, their own.

What would you say about people who pick from many wordly religions and form their own philosophy. That person definitely doesn't believe in god.

--------------------

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

#461428 - 08/16/10 02:32 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I guess my archaic power symbol of confusion "esp" successfully did it's job then

Quote:

niteowl said:
lol you left out especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies

:imslow:

You cant have a religion without god

:sorry:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale