Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinechooken
Stranger

Outdoor QLD grow
    #445097 - 07/11/10 11:28 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

This is mostly going to be a learning grow, also being my first.

I'm growing in fairly dense forest but have a nice patch with some openings in the canopy.
I'm using bag seed from a potent bud I smoked.

A bit of back story to why we're using things we're using. My mate was talking to another mate's uncle who used to grow (well, probably still does). He was talking about one time he planted in a hole where he put a dead stingray and shovel nose shark, forgot about it, came back 5 months later and it was the biggest bush he'd ever seen. Had to give away half of the harvest.

Now most of this is most likely bogan over exaggeration, but why not see how well it works. It is a learning experience anyway :wink:

A few weeks ago, a friend and I cleared a small area with 4 holes dug. Today we went out to plant 3 healthy plants and one scragly one. We got out to our site to find an Echidna or some other small animal had dug into where we had dug, probably to get some worms we killed when digging last time.

We dug the holes up and put 2 sapper heads in 2 holes and a flat-head head in another. Filled it back up and planted the seedlings in the hole.

It's probably still early in the season to get a plant to veg properly, but we may as well see what happens.

The one thing I'm worried about is that something is going to try and dig up the fish - I'm pretty sure this is gonna happen. I want to get some chicken wire as soon as I can and fence it off a bit.

Germinating (2ish weeks ago):

Just after being planted outside (12/July/10):

Just found a tick on my leg :rolleyes:

13/July/10:

Added a small fence made of pegs and fishing line which should stop any Echidnas or other small animals. I don't think kangaroos will get through the thick bushes around it, so the only animals which poses a threat now are wombats - I don't think there are many around here though.

16/July/10:

Alls well with the 3 healthy ones, grown a bit more .etc The dodgy half dead one my mate planted died - expected that though :wink:
Sprinkled dried chilli around the area which is supposed to prevent animals from coming near it, but it doesn't look like anything has disturbed em anyway.

21/July/10:

Went to check today and disaster :frown:. All were either trampled, dug up or shat on! One is still intact, just unable to hold itself up, so I put some twigs in the ground to hold it - not sure if it will live. Cows had somehow gotten into the area, which wouldn't have been easy - 150m through thick bush :\

Oh well, I'll get some more seeds and learn from my mistakes :thumbup:

Picked up some potting soil and other things. Going to start again but wait till the plants are past seedling stage before planting em outside

Edited by chooken (07/21/10 04:56 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Outdoor QLD grow [Re: chooken]
    #445100 - 07/11/10 11:40 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I foresee problems with the rotting fish...but good luck anyway!

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

Offlinechooken
Stranger

Re: Outdoor QLD grow [Re: 81renaissance]
    #445103 - 07/11/10 11:49 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah there are a few things I can see which could go wrong, but it's early/before the season and we can get more seeds pretty easily. Hopefully we'll get some luck by harvest time :sun:

--------------------

OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oaktown to NOLA
    #445623 - 07/12/10 08:10 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

chooken said:
Yeah there are a few things I can see which could go wrong, but it's early/before the season and we can get more seeds pretty easily. Hopefully we'll get some luck by harvest time :sun:

It is not early in the season.  That was a waste of fish.

Offlinechooken
Stranger

Re: Outdoor QLD grow [Re: SmOakland]
    #445752 - 07/13/10 03:28 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

SmOakland said:
Quote:

chooken said:

It is not early in the season.  That was a waste of fish.

It's not even spring yet here haha! And it wasn't a waste unless you find the head and guts good eatin' :wink:

--------------------

Offlineweezy420
Stranger

#445841 - 07/13/10 10:47 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

the native americans used to do it when they planted corn...

so why wouldnt this work?

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Loc: Devils Marbles Flag
Re: Outdoor QLD grow [Re: weezy420]
    #445885 - 07/13/10 11:36 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I have seen this method in a grow in the N.T

http://www.rollitup.org/outdoor-growing/87646-o4s-2008-2009-monster-attempt-2.html

If you get is right is a good way to not have to use nutes. Get it wrong and your plant is gonna get raped hardxcore

--------------------

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Loc: Devils Marbles Flag
Re: Outdoor QLD grow [Re: T-Rex]
    #445887 - 07/13/10 11:38 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Oh and yes is rather early in the season. In Victoria it starts in Sep, but not sure if QLD is the same

--------------------

Offlinechooken
Stranger

Re: Outdoor QLD grow [Re: T-Rex]
    #445970 - 07/13/10 03:52 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

It's before most people start (Sept ~20) for the Southern Hemisphere, but if anyone has watched "A grower's lot" by Kog, it's a whole video on how to grow weed. The video follows one of his crops (North NSW) which he starts in either Autumn or Winter, which is when plants are meant to flower. They grew to about 7ft and yields 9 pounds from what looks like 20 or so plants (maybe more).

So, even though I'm planting now, I'll hopefully get some nice plants :thumbup:

Here's some info I thought I'd share which I got from OZ Stoners:

Quote:

The various fish parts, such as the bones, heads, and guts contain many beneficial nutrients. As the protein breaks down in the buried fish, vitamins, minerals, and nitrogen are released - all of that can help you attain the best growing plants. The protein helps to support root and foliage growth, as well as to promote vigorous blooms.

Many varieties of fish can be used - bi-catch are the more common ones. Whichever kind you choose, it is best to bury them well before planting your plants - that way the decomposing process will not be drawing nutrients from the soil at the same time the plant is trying to get the soils' nutrients.

Because of concern with animals digging the fish up, the ideal depth to bury them is at least 1 - 1 1/2 feet down beside or under each plant, though some gardeners have no problem with burying only 5 - 6 inches down.Sprinkling cayenne pepper around the plants will also help to discourage the animals.

If you enjoy fishing, freeze the parts of the fish you do not eat (scales, heads, and insides) and use those parts as fertilizer. If you wrap the fish in newspaper, the newspaper can be buried as well. The fish can be put in the ground frozen - that way they are well under the surface before thawing and releasing an odor. The fish usually breaks down within a few weeks.

Interestingly, there are some stories out there about other animals being used as fertilizer. People have been known to bury their pets near a prized plant or tree, and see significant growth and a greater number of blooms.

Although I didn't bury them a week or so before I planted, they are lower than the roots, so by the time the roots reach it I'm hoping it's gonna be decomposed a bit.

A few other people over there said they had buried kangaroos and sheep under their plants!

--------------------

OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

#446020 - 07/13/10 05:42 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Forget the fish thing.  If it does turn out to be beneficial it will not be in any significant way. 

Is it going to freeze at night again before spring where you are?  If so then do not bother trying to grow anything.

Offlinechooken
Stranger

#446045 - 07/13/10 06:36 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

SmOakland said:
Forget the fish thing.  If it does turn out to be beneficial it will not be in any significant way. 

Is it going to freeze at night again before spring where you are?  If so then do not bother trying to grow anything.

Nah, it doesn't get below 0°c here. The average minimum for July (coldest month) is 9.2°c, coldest it's been recorded is 2.5°c. We barely have a winter - I'm sitting without a shirt and windows open atm and last night I was sweating. I don't think the cold is a problem :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

#446056 - 07/13/10 06:52 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Where are you?  That is a cool place.

Offlinechooken
Stranger

#446065 - 07/13/10 07:14 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

SmOakland said:
Where are you?  That is a cool place.

SE QLD - Gold Coast

It's a pretty good place to live, got surf and sun. Although there are lot of shit people around :thumbdown:

--------------------

Offlineweedgrwr
CrzyAsian

Loc: Europe Flag
    #474575 - 09/09/10 11:36 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

DUDE! I *love* gold coast. the surf up there is unreal :smile:

--------------------
"Never fight with a pig - you both get dirty and the pig enjoys it." Ditch the dealer. Learn how to grow weed <3 The Herb.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck