Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblestarrider

Re: so you are worried about the electric bill and getting caught [Re: Jeff Funk]
    #447599 - 07/17/10 03:08 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Jeff Funk said:
Worried about power usage? Use one of these to slash the bill. You can run 2 1000watt lights for a little over the price of running one.  Just gotta have an extra dryer oulet put in. Running the lights thru the 220 or 240volt plug(I can't remember which one it is) it takes less amps to run the lights. Plus theres extra 110 plugs on it, to run timers and pumps

If this is a myth, than why 1989 did the DEA subpoenaed records of a company that advertised hydroponic growing equipment in High Times. This information was forwarded to local law enforcement.

Let's see i 1993 the Thrid Circuit upheld the conviction of Tab Deaner for possession with intent to manufactor marijuana in violation of federal law.

I could go on, be warned, Big Bother is always watching. You can never be to careful. If you believe this is a myth keep buy from online stores. I personly will not. Everything I do is in cash. No paper trail.

--------------------
"If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite."

William Blake

Anything  I write is a lie. Any picture I post is a fake. I only write for entertainment.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
Re: so you are worried about the electric bill and getting caught [Re: Jeff Funk]
    #447899 - 07/18/10 12:29 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Jeff Funk said:
Actually that's a pic of my power box. Let me see if I can find one on the web.

And here's that link:  http://www.rvfgardensupply.com/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=734057

I do know a ballast plugged into a 110 outlet pulls around 9.5 amps of electricity, when using that box it only pulls 5 amps.

You really don't understand electricity I don't really either but you REALLY don't.

Your box draws from a 240v line instead of a 120 thus drawing less amps. That much is correct.

However a 240v line essentially consists of 2 x 120v lines so you would be drawing half the amps over twice the voltage which really is the same thing. Amps is just your load, you're under half a load because you have twice the juice. You're not going to use half the energy.

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: so you are worried about the electric bill and getting caught [Re: starrider]
    #448633 - 07/20/10 02:16 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

starrider said:
Quote:

Jeff Funk said:
Worried about power usage? Use one of these to slash the bill. You can run 2 1000watt lights for a little over the price of running one.  Just gotta have an extra dryer oulet put in. Running the lights thru the 220 or 240volt plug(I can't remember which one it is) it takes less amps to run the lights. Plus theres extra 110 plugs on it, to run timers and pumps

If this is a myth, than why 1989 did the DEA subpoenaed records of a company that advertised hydroponic growing equipment in High Times. This information was forwarded to local law enforcement.

Let's see i 1993 the Thrid Circuit upheld the conviction of Tab Deaner for possession with intent to manufactor marijuana in violation of federal law.

I could go on, be warned, Big Bother is always watching. You can never be to careful. If you believe this is a myth keep buy from online stores. I personly will not. Everything I do is in cash. No paper trail.

Yeah it happens from time to time.  But how many hydro shops are operating now??  Hundreds of thousands.  It is extremely rare for them to actually do it. 

Plus it's not illegal to buy any of this equipment...Period.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisibleNightGrower
Proficient Horticulturist
Male

#448702 - 07/20/10 10:31 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I want to thank you all for your posts, this link and 30-amp power box is a perfect example of intelligent suggestions that help take small time growers off the maps of 5-0 and let us sleep a little better at night.... NOW, the question is... what about your dryer? who has 2 dryer plugs/outlets?

How did YOU wire this?

--------------------
Learn of Terence Mckenna. Check out the Shroomery to learn more about what one man did for mushies. Thank you, Terence.

Offlineyellownotepad
Pharmaceutical Agriculturalist
 User Gallery

Re: so you are worried about the electric bill and getting caught [Re: NightGrower]
    #450402 - 07/23/10 10:45 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

NightGrower said:
I want to thank you all for your posts, this link and 30-amp power box is a perfect example of intelligent suggestions that help take small time growers off the maps of 5-0 and let us sleep a little better at night.... NOW, the question is... what about your dryer? who has 2 dryer plugs/outlets?

How did YOU wire this?

you dont get it.  it doesnt matter if you run off 240 or 120.  your equipment uses the same energy.  it spins the power meter at the same speed mang.

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
Re: so you are worried about the electric bill and getting caught [Re: yellownotepad]
    #450413 - 07/23/10 11:21 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

watts / volts = amps.

1000w/120v = 8.33amp
1000w/240v = 4.16amp

Only difference is the 240v is over twice the lines. 4.16 amps = half the load but over twice as much line. I tried explaining earlier when Jeff Funk claimed he uses half the power using his load center.

OfflinePapaKush
Peaceful Warrior
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: so you are worried about the electric bill and getting caught [Re: Kilroy]
    #453572 - 07/31/10 02:40 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Anyone serious about growing should learn about electric relays. The point of installing electric relays for your grow room is simple. With the introduction of smart meters monitoring electrical spikes is how growers get caught. They see your spike when your light cycle starts and the spike when it finishes. The point of the relay is to eliminate the spike.

Installing a relay will use more electricity but will keep you more invisible to prying eyes.

How the relay works is this, for example if you're using a 1000w light, the relay will consume 1000w 24 hrs a day, while only directing the current to your setup for the lights on cycle, eliminating the power spike. This is how you hide from the police. Look it up.

--------------------

InvisibleNightGrower
Proficient Horticulturist
Male

Re: so you are worried about the electric bill and getting caught [Re: PapaKush]
    #453703 - 07/31/10 05:13 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

my bad, thanks for clearing it up, either way, straight genius

--------------------
Learn of Terence Mckenna. Check out the Shroomery to learn more about what one man did for mushies. Thank you, Terence.

OfflinePliny the Elder
Stranger
    #475665 - 09/11/10 04:23 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Jeff Funk said:

I do know a ballast plugged into a 110 outlet pulls around 9.5 amps of electricity, when using that box it only pulls 5 amps.

Right, because amperage and voltage are inversely proportional:  W = VA

This means that you are not using less electricity.  You could plug your lights directly into the 2400V power line outside your house, they would draw half an amp, and still use the same amount of electricity.

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

Re: so you are worried about the electric bill and getting caught [Re: PapaKush]
    #483144 - 09/28/10 04:33 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

PapaKush said:
Anyone serious about growing should learn about electric relays. The point of installing electric relays for your grow room is simple. With the introduction of smart meters monitoring electrical spikes is how growers get caught. They see your spike when your light cycle starts and the spike when it finishes. The point of the relay is to eliminate the spike.

Installing a relay will use more electricity but will keep you more invisible to prying eyes.

How the relay works is this, for example if you're using a 1000w light, the relay will consume 1000w 24 hrs a day, while only directing the current to your setup for the lights on cycle, eliminating the power spike. This is how you hide from the police. Look it up.

got any good resources to share?

OfflineRah420
Stranger
Re: so you are worried about the electric bill and getting caught [Re: maryanne3087]
    #488856 - 10/17/10 01:47 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

maryanne3087 said:
watts / volts = amps.

1000w/120v = 8.33amp
1000w/240v = 4.16amp

Only difference is the 240v is over twice the lines. 4.16 amps = half the load but over twice as much line. I tried explaining earlier when Jeff Funk claimed he uses half the power using his load center.

I am an electrician, and this ^ is correct.  Also about the relay, that is a bunk method aswell.  Perhaps if you have 2 separate 1000w grow ops this would be a useful investment.

you could use the relay to run one setup on 12hrs, and turn the other 1000w on  the other 12hrs.  So you would be using 1000w 24/7, with 2- 1000w setups. 

1000w is not very much power, pay your bills and you wont have a problem.

OfflineSquaReSaltine
The grass is greener...
Male

Loc: NC Flag
Re: so you are worried about the electric bill and getting caught [Re: Rah420]
    #492398 - 10/27/10 02:13 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks, gathering info, one piece at a time!

Offlinegrogan
 User Gallery

Re: so you are worried about the electric bill and getting caught [Re: SquaReSaltine]
    #497571 - 11/13/10 01:45 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

A relay just keeps you from burning your shit down due to a bad timer..

No power through your timing device (high flow anyway) no fry fry..

Also 220 is just two 110's so two 5 amps = tah dah 10 amps

What you need to know is wattage 1000 watts on 110v is still 1000 watts on 220v, just split across two lines.. two phase power, it does prevent voltage drop that occurs with single phase power.

You just crossed all your information into a unicorn..

OfflinePoisoncrazy
Stranger
    #504394 - 12/10/10 12:41 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

PapaKush said:
eliminating the power spike. This is how you hide from the police. Look it up.

Wrong. One way the police get entrance to a house is they get some kind of tip, so they pull your trash and they compare your electrical usage to similar houses. If yours is significantly higher they can use this to get a search warrant.

Like Rah420 said, pay your bills and a small grow ain't no thing

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck