Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineDRAGON
Doors of Perception
Male

Loc: Somewhere in the Universe
ACLU sues Wal-Mart for firing employee using medical marijuana * 2
    #439349 - 06/29/10 04:22 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

ACLU sues Wal-Mart for firing employee using medical marijuana
By Stephanie Chen, CNN
June 29, 2010 -- Updated 1853 GMT (0253 HKT)
Source

(CNN) -- The American Civil Liberties Union has filed a lawsuit against Wal-Mart for the termination of a Michigan employee whose doctor verified his illness qualified for medical marijuana use.

Wal-Mart, the nation's largest retailer, fired Joseph Casias in November 2009 after he failed an on-the-job injury-related drug test. Casias suffers from a rare form of cancer in his nasal cavity and brain, and he relied on his doctor's medical marijuana prescription to alleviate the daily pain. Casias is one of about 20,000 legal medical marijuana users in Michigan.

"Medical marijuana has had a life-changing positive effect for Joseph, but Wal-Mart made him pay a stiff and unfair price for his medicine," said Scott Michelman, staff attorney with the ACLU Drug Law Reform Project.

"No patient should be forced to choose between adequate pain relief and gainful employment, and no employer should be allowed to intrude upon private medical choices made by employees in consultation with their doctors," Michelman said.

Wal-Mart officials say they are sympathetic to Casias' condition, but the company needed to put the safety of its customers and associates first.

"As more states allow this treatment, employers are left without any guidelines except the federal standard," wrote Lorenzo Lopez, a director of media relations at Wal-Mart, in an e-mail to CNN. "In these cases, until further guidance is available, we will always default to what we believe is the safest environment for our associates and customers."

The ACLU's lawsuit, filed in Calhoun County Circuit Court in Michigan, comes at a time when the controversy over medical marijuana is still being debated in many states. To date, 14 states have laws allowing the use of medical marijuana, which protect legal users from criminalization. But the laws are murky when it comes to protecting users from termination by their employers in some states.

Casias told CNN in March that he never arrived at work high and used the medical marijuana only outside of his work hours.

Michigan is an at-will employment state, which means employers can terminate a worker for any reason except for being in a federally protected class such as race, gender and religion. The ACLU is arguing legal medical marijuana users should also be protected under a Michigan law.

"I was angry they did this to me because I always tried my best," Casias said to CNN in March. He had worked for Wal-Mart for nearly five years to support his wife and two young children. He started at the company as a grocery store stocker in 2004 before moving up to become an inventory control manager. He earned an Associate of the Year Award at Wal-Mart in 2008, a year before his termination

He has battled with his cancer for more than a decade. The lawsuit says the medical marijuana was able to provide him with pain relief.

--------------------
"I know that I know nothing"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Truthfully, I'm a bullshitter
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greenbow, Alabama
Re: ACLU sues Wal-Mart for firing employee using medical marijuana [Re: DRAGON] * 1
    #439650 - 06/29/10 11:18 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Wow, I hope something good comes out of this.  That guy didn't deserve that.  More power to that guy for still taking care of his family and all under the circumstances he's got goin on.  I'd be interested to hear updates of this if you have/can find any.

--------------------

OfflineTomCollins

Re: ACLU sues Wal-Mart for firing employee using medical marijuana [Re: DRAGON] * 1
    #439653 - 06/29/10 11:29 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

DRAGON said:
ACLU sues Wal-Mart for firing employee using medical marijuana
[...]
He has battled with his cancer for more than a decade. The lawsuit says the medical marijuana was able to provide him with pain relief.

Justice! I read that article way back when that happened. Fucking unbelievable. :mad2: Firing an employee for using doctor prescribed medicine to ease the torture of a slow and painful death.  :fuckyou:

Wall-Fuckin-Asshole-Mart said:
Quote:

Sorry but your cancer medication is putting our customers at risk. We understand you're dying and that it's really painful, and that you're trying to support 2 kids and a wife, so that you can enjoy your life just a little and we're sympathetic too that... but unfortunately, you're fired. :cool:

:laser: :minigun:

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

OfflineLucid
Monster Plant Creator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada-ish. Flag
Re: ACLU sues Wal-Mart for firing employee using medical marijuana [Re: TomCollins] * 1
    #439744 - 06/30/10 12:47 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

k9ill um and I lsca it

OfflineTomCollins

Re: ACLU sues Wal-Mart for firing employee using medical marijuana [Re: Lucid] * 1
    #439753 - 06/30/10 01:31 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

:niggawhat:

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

OfflineKilroy
old stoner
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Cold as Hell Flag
Re: ACLU sues Wal-Mart for firing employee using medical marijuana [Re: TomCollins] * 1
    #439798 - 06/30/10 05:47 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Wal-mart cares about safety lol. and they have such a great track record for fallowing human and civil rights policies correct(pure sarcasm). They never make their employee`s work more hours without pay and tell the employee that they can be replaced at a drop of a hat(just pathetic)

--------------------
Just smoke a bowl and get over your self
We are human beings first everything else is second

You can not hold anything I post against me for I am delusional

OfflinePsilocybinMike
T.F.Y.Q.A
Male User Gallery

Re: ACLU sues Wal-Mart for firing employee using medical marijuana [Re: Kilroy] * 1
    #439921 - 06/30/10 12:27 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Wal-mart also gives employees 39.5 hours a week so they technically aren't full time employees so they don't have to give health benefits.

--------------------

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVZBTAYm3rw

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild & Free
Re: ACLU sues Wal-Mart for firing employee using medical marijuana [Re: FarBeyondDriven] * 1
    #440916 - 07/02/10 09:40 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

FarBeyondDriven said:
Wow, I hope something good comes out of this.  That guy didn't deserve that.  More power to that guy for still taking care of his family and all under the circumstances he's got goin on.  I'd be interested to hear updates of this if you have/can find any.

--------------------
"Je pense, donc je suis (I am thinking, therefore I am)." -Rene Descartes

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale