Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejagerbomber444
Stranger
hey first time pot grower
    #411787 - 05/04/10 05:01 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

ok i got my bag seed today.

i have a four hundred watt MH with ballast(gifted)

two four foot four bulb flourescent t8 fixtures and bulbs.

access to all the free pvc i need.

a twenty nine gallon fish tank and a ten gallon fish tank.

so what would be the easies noob friendly way for me to grow quality stuff on a budget.

i was thinking i would build a 3' by 3' grow tent using pvc and panda film.

using hempy 3 or five gallon buckets filled with perlite and vermiculite at a 3 to 1 ratio.

i havent decided on nutes yet.

i want to exhaust with a carbon filter with fan.

havent figured out inlet requirements for my inline fan bring air in any tips??

anything else you guys think i should know would be greatly appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblebrifunforme
Card Holder. Not really
Re: hey first time pot grower [Re: jagerbomber444]
    #411800 - 05/04/10 05:31 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

As for the fan, check this out http://www.htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=52531. I ordered it and received it the same week. Great people to deal withhad one minor problem and they resolved it very quickly.

If you have access to a bunch of PVC, why not try out NFT or flood and drain with it? NFT seems like it would be easier to make out of pvc then flood and drain out of pvc. Just seems like NFT would require less plumbing. All I can really comment on tho is how good htgsupply was to me.

OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

Re: hey first time pot grower [Re: brifunforme]
    #412151 - 05/04/10 10:03 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

You can do flood and drain with PVC as well, not sure how effective it is, but I've seen people make them.. How big in diameter can you get? Ebb and flow is not a bad way to go, thats what I wanted to do before I started the hempy's. I just didn't have the space for the size table I wanted to build. I'll be making an expansion before too long though..  :yesnod:

I have to admit, the hempy's are treating me really well. I would definitely recommend them to anyone, they're legit.

--------------------
If you ain't smokin' dro, you're smokin' reggie. :shrug:

Offlinejagerbomber444
Stranger
Re: hey first time pot grower [Re: DieselB]
    #412222 - 05/04/10 11:33 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

yeah im definitely thinking im gonna go with the hempy buckets i cant decide if i want to use 3 or 5 gallon buckets though. i guess ill have to build the grow tent and see exactly how much room i have.

i did some research into hydro nutrients and think i have come to a conclusion as to what im gonna use and its foxfarm.

their feeding guide was awesome for answer all kinds of questions for me and i have read many good reviews for their products.

and as far as ventillating go does anyone have any advice as far as how i can figure out how much i need.

the reason im not doing flood and drain or nft is the cost of pumps and sprayer heads.

i think i will be building an aerocloner though so i can just keep a mother plant take six or seven clones use one for a new mother plant and put five or six of the other ones into hempy buckets to flower.

sound like a good plan?

how tall should i make my tent in order to maximize my lights efficiency??

im gonna get some perlite vermiculit and beer cups heer soon and get my seeds started in coco propagation plugs.

in a mini cfl box i made for seddlings and clones

Edited by jagerbomber444 (05/05/10 06:15 PM)

OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

#413071 - 05/06/10 01:16 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I would have the tent tall enough to stand in, or atleast 5 feet if you don't have all that room.

On the light, I would start it at about 30-36" away. You're gonna want to keep a close eye still though to see how they do with it, if they show stress you'll know to pick them up more. I started seedlings under my 600 at about 33 inches away, but I kept them at the farthest point away from it and they were shaded just a little. Then moved them under after about a week.

--------------------
If you ain't smokin' dro, you're smokin' reggie. :shrug:

Offlinejagerbomber444
Stranger
Re: hey first time pot grower [Re: DieselB]
    #413083 - 05/06/10 01:58 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

cool i was planning on making it six foot tall lol im 6'4'' so ill still have to hunch a little but i dont mind lol.

and thanks for the info on where i should try and start my lights at.
i will definitely take your advice on that.

any tips on a way to hang my light so its sturdy and pretty easy to addjust the height would be appreciated.

and which week should i move my seedlings out from under the cfl in my mylar mini box and into the 400 watt halide tent

Invisibleboomsaway
 User Gallery

#413704 - 05/07/10 10:43 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

as soon as they get there first set of 5(7)-piece leaves.

as for the hempy buckets, if you dont plan on veggin the clones too much, try a smaller container, like half gallon jugs or sumtin.
hempy's dont do really well unless the whole bucket is taken over by roots, by makin the area smaller, you can get better results faster.

one more thing, make a high capacity cloner like the one in my sig, that way when you do decide to get down, you wont have to make another one.

just go get some decent chain to hang the light from home depot, and hook into some studs in the ceiling on some nice sturdy screw-in hooks, ur pretty tall, adjusting it shouldnt be a problem.

Offlinejagerbomber444
Stranger
Re: hey first time pot grower [Re: boomsaway]
    #413714 - 05/07/10 11:12 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

well to do what your saying with the chain and hooks would require me to make the tent as tall as my ceiling at least.

in the middle or the chain would have to pass through the panda film.

which would be very hard to keep light tight.

what would be the most high yeilding way to use my grow tent?

Scrog, Sog, veg the clones for a month let them get like two and a half three foot tall then flower.

those would be my guesses.

Invisibleboomsaway
 User Gallery

#413820 - 05/08/10 08:56 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

the holes in the film dont have to be huge, just a lil slit to pass the chain thru, Is this lil tent going to be in a closet by itself? or in a room with lights on? either way after you get the light where u want it, just patch the slits with a lil tape to keep stray light out.

btw, after you put a plant into flowering it will stretch to double, almost triple the size it was.  if you put a plant into flowering at 2 feet, itll could be 4-6 feet tall. It could be taller because you have no idea where the genetics came from (bagseed)

personally, i like SOG because of the higher plant count, main colas will have the highest concentration of THC, with SCROG, your using multiple shoots off of one plant, those shoots, while still good dont get me wrong, are usually less potent than a main growing tip.

but higher plant counts mean more work on your part, where as you could take one plant at a time, SCROG it, and get about the same amount of bud.

up to you really, if you plan on SCROGing, use a 3 gal hempy, 5 gals are just huge! great for a outdoor grow though

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: hey first time pot grower [Re: boomsaway]
    #414341 - 05/09/10 02:40 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

boomsaway said:
the holes in the film dont have to be huge, just a lil slit to pass the chain thru, Is this lil tent going to be in a closet by itself? or in a room with lights on? either way after you get the light where u want it, just patch the slits with a lil tape to keep stray light out.

btw, after you put a plant into flowering it will stretch to double, almost triple the size it was.  if you put a plant into flowering at 2 feet, itll could be 4-6 feet tall. It could be taller because you have no idea where the genetics came from (bagseed)

personally, i like SOG because of the higher plant count, main colas will have the highest concentration of THC, with SCROG, your using multiple shoots off of one plant, those shoots, while still good dint get me wrong, are usually less potent than a main growing tip.

but higher plant counts mean more work on your part, where as you could take one plant at a time, SCROG it, and get about the same amount of bud.

up to you really, if you plan on SCROGing, use a 3 gal hempy, 5 gals are just huge! great for a outdoor grow though

Not true at all man.  SOME strains can stretch a lot.  But most do not end up 3 times as large.  I just induced flowering on 3 different strains all were about 2 feet tall and now they are about 3.5 feet tall.  They didn't stretch anywhere near 2-3 times the original size.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Invisibleboomsaway
 User Gallery

Re: hey first time pot grower [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #414363 - 05/09/10 08:03 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

yea, but its bagseed, it could go both ways, i figure he should be prepared for a plant to triple its size, just in case.  not that it will happen, but every bagseed ive had streched like crazy.
just speaking from my experiences...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom