Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDANK
VERB CONJUGATeR+HERB INHALATOR
Male User Gallery

BEST way to determine sex for my(friends) application...
    #411586 - 05/04/10 12:26 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

YO! My friend has these six beatiful beings that are about 3 weeks old...

He's going to do a ScrOG, but he doesn't know which plants are female!

Did a little searching around and looked at different ways to sex. So far the 'paper bag' method seems like it would be best for this situation, but are these plants far enough along to use that method effectively?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTomCollins

Re: BEST way to determine sex for my(friends) application... [Re: DANK]
    #411598 - 05/04/10 12:54 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Normally to determine the sex, one would examine the plant for the sex parts (either pistils or pollen sacks.)

I'm not sure what the paper bag method is but would be interested to see the link if you can provide it.

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
Re: BEST way to determine sex for my(friends) application... [Re: TomCollins]
    #411600 - 05/04/10 12:58 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

The bag is for pollenating one bud and not the whole plant.

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

OfflineDANK
Male User Gallery

Re: BEST way to determine sex for my(friends) application... [Re: TomCollins] * 1
    #411603 - 05/04/10 12:59 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Spency said:
Normally to determine the sex, one would examine the plant for the sex parts (either pistils or pollen sacks.)

It is my understanding that you have to wait until you are in the flowering stage to do this. Which isn't possible because he will be filling the screen in veg.

Quote:

Spency said:
I'm not sure what the paper bag method is but would be interested to see the link if you can provide it.

"EARLY SEXING

It's possible to tell the sex of a plant early, and thus move male plants out of the main growing area sooner by covering a plant's lower branch for 12 hours a day while it's in a constant light vegetative state. Use a black paper bag or equivalent to allow for air flow while keeping out light. Be sure to set up a regular cycle for these covered branches. If light is allowed to reach them during the dark period, they may not indicate early at all.

Use a magnifying glass to look at the early flowers sex type. A male plant will have a small club (playing card) looking preflower with a small stem under it. A female flower is usually a single or double pistil, white and wispy, emerging from an immature calyx.

Some people like to pre-force plants when they are 8" tall, in order to weed out the males. When growing outdoors, many growers do not wish to devote time, space or energy to male plants. Just put the plants on a 12 hours light cycle for 2 weeks, separate the females from the males, then revert the light cycle back to 18-24 hours to continue vegatative growth for the females. Keep in mind, this is a time consuming process and can put the plants back 2 weeks in growth. Don't pre-force plants unless you have lots of time. Just cover one branch per plant with black paper (light tight, breaths air) 12 hours every day under constant light to force pre-flowers and differentiate early." - http://www.growery.org/2796/Cannabis-growing-guide#A34

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #411606 - 05/04/10 01:03 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I don't think I seen this tek before. Sounds interesting.
Does anyone know if this saves time over taking clones and flowering?

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

OfflineTomCollins

#411608 - 05/04/10 01:04 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

DANK said:
Quote:

Spency said:

It is my understanding that you have to wait until you are in the flowering stage to do this. Which isn't possible because he will be filling the screen in veg.

It's called preflowers. :tongue: Those show up during veg.

--------------------
andyistic said:
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

OfflineDANK
Male User Gallery

Re: BEST way to determine sex for my(friends) application... [Re: TomCollins]
    #411609 - 05/04/10 01:06 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Learn something new everyday! haha I know i could search for this and find it..... but when do pre-flowers typically show?

OfflineTomCollins

#411623 - 05/04/10 01:29 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

DANK said:
Learn something new everyday! haha I know i could search for this and find it..... but when do pre-flowers typically show?

I think normally they show up in about 20 days if all goes smoothly. That was my experience anyway.

--------------------
andyistic said:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals