Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

PhytoExtractum Shop: Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebobby-j
Stranger
co2 yeast/sugar?
    #407297 - 04/26/10 07:56 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

ive heard that using yeast and sugar-water will make co2 and also produce either alcohol or vineger, ive heard if you dont have a co2 lock you'll only make vinegar not 100% on what a co2 lock is, it seems like making an airtight container for the yeast-sugar-water and having a hose coming out and going into a glass of water to prevent outside air from gettting into the yeast-sugar-water, which method would produce more co2, and which will last longer, is vinegar less likely to kill off the yeast, also is drinking this alcohol without distilling it going to make me sick or just taste really nasty

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
Re: co2 yeast/sugar? [Re: bobby-j]
    #407348 - 04/26/10 09:32 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

:facepalm:

OfflineTheShroomJew23
The Chemist
Male

Re: co2 yeast/sugar? [Re: DungenessDank]
    #407353 - 04/26/10 09:38 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

:themoreyouknow:

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #407458 - 04/27/10 02:03 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

bobby-j said:
ive heard that using yeast and sugar-water will make co2 and also produce either alcohol or vineger, ive heard if you dont have a co2 lock you'll only make vinegar not 100% on what a co2 lock is, it seems like making an airtight container for the yeast-sugar-water and having a hose coming out and going into a glass of water to prevent outside air from gettting into the yeast-sugar-water, which method would produce more co2, and which will last longer, is vinegar less likely to kill off the yeast, also is drinking this alcohol without distilling it going to make me sick or just taste really nasty

A plain co2 + yeast + sugar yields "mash alcohol" it tastes like yeast and is nearly undrinkable (I'd never drink it) even when distilled the alcohol needs filtering or it will taste like some sort of barley/yeasty mess.

yeast does not produce vinegar, yeast produces ethanol. Vinegar(acetic acid) is produced by acetic acid bacteria of the Acetobacteraceae family which oxidize ethanol into vinegar this requires the presence of oxygen.

An airlock is only needed with certain types of yeast, turbo yeast used to make 18% mash in a very short time doesn't require an airlock and if you use one you'll find it an hour later lodged in your ceiling.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Offlinebobby-j
Stranger
Re: co2 yeast/sugar? [Re: captain.koons]
    #407541 - 04/27/10 11:01 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

alright so im probably not gonna drink the stuff then so whats the best way to make a lot of co2 just mix a bunch in a 5 gallon bucket and leave it open in the growroom? i also heard bakers yeast is more tolerable to alcohol but brewers yeast works quicker is eaither one more likely to overflow out of the container and which will get me the most bang for my buck im only looking to fill a closet wanna keep it at around 1000-2000ppm

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #407548 - 04/27/10 12:08 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

you won't be able to regulate ppms unless you do a sealed room with a extractor fan on a timer and have a release valve to control the amount of co2 you're "injecting" into the room.

baker's yeast isn't more tolerable than brewer's it works slower and can't tolerate as much alcohol

you probably want a carboy with an airlock not an open 5gal bucket.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Offlinebobby-j
Stranger
    #407563 - 04/27/10 01:00 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

so brewers yeast is better in every way is it more expensive than bakers yeast, and how will having an airlock help me?

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #407591 - 04/27/10 01:52 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Alcohol production requires yeast to use their anaerobic(oxygen free) metabolic processes called fermentation which is why you would use the airlock. If you use turbo yeast you just need to filter the top of your carboy so that debris doesn't enter you can do this with a face cloth or something along those lines. I recommend using a carboy also as they're intention is to bottleneck gases so that co2 doesn't escape at a rate which would allow oxygen in the airlock makes it so gases only escape one way. Also a carboy + airlock will also let you know at what rate your yeast is still working.

If you want to be really productive save some active yeast to start your next carboy as it works a lot faster than starting from an inactive pack of yeast. It also saves money as you won't need to buy yeast or at least as much yeast. Same idea as sour dough.

You might also want to start google searching/reading as you may come across different information and choose a different route than me or disagree with my opinions if I've used any. Always good to have your own ideas rather than just adopting someone else's.

Cheers.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Offlinebobby-j
Stranger
    #407596 - 04/27/10 02:13 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

well im not all too interested in making the alchol just the co2, is having oxygen with the yeast gonna lessen the amount of co2 produced, will not having the airlock allow the acetic acid bacteria to make vinegar and kill the yeast quicker, and i really like that active yeast idea thanks

Jump to top Pages: 1

PhytoExtractum Shop: Buy Bali Kratom Powder