Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineinthefl3sh
Ganja Farmer
Male

Loc: Flawwda
Heat signature question
    #406571 - 04/25/10 05:35 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I'm sure we've all heard about the cops in choppers using thermal imaging cameras to bust grow ops, and I'm wondering if anyone knows how big of an indoor as well as outdoor operation would be needed to be seen clearly by the cams. I live a block away from an airport and there's always choppers flying around all day.

--------------------

Edited by FurrowedBrow (04/25/10 07:58 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

Re: Heat signature question [Re: inthefl3sh]
    #406925 - 04/26/10 12:49 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

They make materials to hide the heat signature from indoor grows. Outdoors, you should keep the plants as far away from eachother as possible. One plant here and there is really hard for them to recognize. Keep them along a tree line or something and they will blend in better.
As long as you don't tell anyone and you're smart about it, you can have a pretty big indoor operation going without any trouble.

--------------------
If you ain't smokin' dro, you're smokin' reggie. :shrug:

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
Re: Heat signature question [Re: DieselB] * 1
    #407006 - 04/26/10 02:03 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

FLIR (forward looking infrared) cameras look for heat escaping from places where it wouldn't normally come from. Although they can be used to spot a grow through the roofing or walls in extreme cases, they are mostly used to find excessive amounts of hot air escaping from strange spots on the outside of a building.

For instance...a grower venting the hot air from their grow room straight out of a window or a hole cut in the wall will show up as a bright jet coming out of the same window or hole on a FLIR image.

Outdoors, authorities don't use FLIR to find plants, they fly over during the day looking for them. In certain parts of the world and against certain backgrounds, marijuana stands out as a different shade of green, strange overall or leaf shape, etc. Authorities are trained to spot this and use game trails, bodies of water, trash, to lead them to grow areas and look for planting patterns as well. Most suggestions are to use a different path to get to your grow area, consider what it may look like from the air, dont leave trash and dont plant in a pattern, random is best, and try to plant them in some other plants that are shaped similar to the marijuana themselves.

I have very little experience to large grows, but this is what I have gathered from research and from what other more experienced growers have said on this subject. I do not have any idea about actual suggestions but I just thought the background info on the subject would be helpful.

peace,
agmotes165

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

Re: Heat signature question [Re: Data]
    #407042 - 04/26/10 02:32 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Awesome post, agmotes. Thats great info.

--------------------
If you ain't smokin' dro, you're smokin' reggie. :shrug:

OfflineShrew
Knife Hitter
Male

Re: Heat signature question [Re: DieselB]
    #407117 - 04/26/10 04:33 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I have a friend who's got 8x 1000w hps/hid in his upstairs room w/ 35-50 plants at a time, and he's had that going for more than a year now with no trouble. the heat signatures that really get them going are the big ones in a line... not just A room in a house but like an entire building.

--------------------

Offlineinthefl3sh
Ganja Farmer
Male

Loc: Flawwda
Re: Heat signature question [Re: Shrew]
    #407587 - 04/27/10 01:42 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for such informative and prompt responses guys. I'm only running a 150w so I thnk I'll be ok.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies