Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGoCardinals
Stranger
Some general questions about numbers of plants and types for my area.
    #406072 - 04/24/10 12:15 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I have a spare closet that I want to use to grow some herbal plants. The dimensions are 6ft wide, 20inches deep and about 8 feet high. Now I don't plan on growing anything 8 feet tall so maybe I can keep clones/mother plant up in the top somewhere.

Could I get an estimate on how many plants I could grow in that area and I would like the most bud possible out of that area so should I get a sativa or indica?

Thanks in advanced guys.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Some general questions about numbers of plants and types for my area. [Re: GoCardinals]
    #406074 - 04/24/10 12:35 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Sativa indica mix would be what you want.  Number of plants will be based on what you want to spend on lighting, and style of growing.  I would put 3 400 watt HPS in there and grow about 5-6 plants.Do some research into grow room designs and ventilation. 

It sounds like your new to this, I would recommend that you go and buy Indoor Marijuana Horticulture by Jorge Cervantes.  It'll help you out a lot in the beginning.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineGoCardinals
Stranger
Re: Some general questions about numbers of plants and types for my area. [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #406075 - 04/24/10 12:45 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Sativa indica mix would be what you want.  Number of plants will be based on what you want to spend on lighting, and style of growing.  I would put 3 400 watt HPS in there and grow about 5-6 plants.Do some research into grow room designs and ventilation. 

It sounds like your new to this, I would recommend that you go and buy Indoor Marijuana Horticulture by Jorge Cervantes.  It'll help you out a lot in the beginning.

thank you for the speedy reply. ive owned and read that book but lost it or let someone borrow it i forget. I may repurchase. I am just trying to figure the basics out right now.

I appreciate the suggestions. I have a ton of reading to do. With your help I can get some babies going while I learn.

Thanks one last time, heh

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Some general questions about numbers of plants and types for my area. [Re: GoCardinals]
    #406076 - 04/24/10 12:50 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

If your going to go with HPS lights remember that venting them is going to be essential to keeping the lights running efficiently and keep the temperatures in the closet down as well.  This route is a little more expensive to get up and running, but you will see the difference in the and get that money back in weight.

--------------------

-niteowl

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Some general questions about numbers of plants and types for my area. [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #406329 - 04/24/10 08:59 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:

You realize you recommended 240 w per sq foot of lighting?

Given the dimensions of the closet specifically the limiting factor of it being so shallow @ 20inches I'd suggest smaller 75-150w HPS lights to cover that space or even fluorescent lighting. Do you plan to be limited to the depth of the closet for where your plants grow? 20" isn't very much to work with you could fit anywhere from a half dozen to two dozen plants in there depending how big you want them to be. Are you able to cut holes in the walls to vent hot air out?

If you want the most weed possible you probably want more plant counts but it depends on the strain. Up to 4 plants per sq ft which would be 20 in your case.

When keeping mothers and flowering plants in the same area you need to make sure you have no light leaks when the mothers are under 18/6 lighting and the flowering plants are on 12/12 lighting you are bound to have your mother's lights on while the lights are off for the flowering plants. If you don't have your mothers completely light proofed away from the flowering plants you will stress them out and they could throw some pollen sacs which is no good. It could also bring them out of flower, which means no weed!

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Some general questions about numbers of plants and types for my area. [Re: captain.koons]
    #406342 - 04/24/10 10:06 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah I know how much I suggested.  That's how much I would put in there.  I run 250 watts per Sqft in my garden.  It's the way to go!!

--------------------

-niteowl

Invisibleboomsaway
 User Gallery

#406344 - 04/24/10 10:21 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

wow man, i usually go with the 50W per sqft, but ur really pushin it aint ya.

with all them lumens, you better be CO2 enriching lmao

got any pics of ur setup? id like to see all your lights in action, lol

Oh and one more thing, i agree with the coon, try to find another spot for ur mothers.

or dont do the cloning thing and just start a dozen seeds at a time
and toss the males to keep the grow down to 1 room.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Some general questions about numbers of plants and types for my area. [Re: boomsaway]
    #406347 - 04/24/10 10:33 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I have a grow log going, it's under 3000watt grow.  i feel that people on here drastically under light there grows.  I don't really like floro unless it's for my moms or cloning, I understand if that's the only means you can do it, then of course go with it.  But I think most people could upgrade if they really wanted too, they're just too lazy to save up money by quitting a habit or two. 

And yes I'm enriching with CO2

--------------------

-niteowl

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #406453 - 04/25/10 10:53 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Yeah I know how much I suggested.  That's how much I would put in there.  I run 250 watts per Sqft in my garden.  It's the way to go!!

That's the equivalent of running 4kw in a 4x4' closet. Unless you're getting 6-8lbs in that size of an area you're wasting electricity. I assume after a certain point bud quality would be effected from excessive light and it would also be a pita to cool such a small area with that kind of heat.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds