Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinein_sherman
Stranger
first time, goin a little slow.
    #403009 - 04/16/10 10:33 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Okay, here we go.

1. Are you growing from seed or clones?
seed.

2. How old are your plants? a
little more than two weeks old

3. How tall are your plants?
2"-3"

4. What size containers are they planted in?
around 3" width, some sharing pots for now but they're maybe more like 4". (i need to build a bigger pox and get bigger pots soon)

5. What is your soil mix? fuck, this is embarrassing. i found some shitty old potting soil which is in some of the orange pots. i guess it's not that old, i used it last year but my plants got eaten by what i think are slugs? and the brown colored pots contain just straight topsoil which is probably just stupid. i'm broke as shit and i'm going to try to get some ffof or something from a semi-local hydroponics store

6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use? sometimes every day. the brown pots seem to dry out way too quick. the orange ones i have to water a little less frequently, it seems.

7. What is the pH of your water?
no idea haha i need to do test this asap

8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio?
i put some time release (not ideal, i know) osmocote vegetable fert on the surface of some of the soil, much less than recommended dose. i did this because i read that you can start to fert when the first "real" non-cotyledon leaves come out. then, later, i read that you shouldn't fertilize for a longer time so i wonder if i'm even supposed to be doing this now. oh yeah, and it's 14-14-14. i'm also using some espoma bio-tone on occasion mixed in with the water to try to promote root grown with whatever microbes are contained in that thing.

9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything?
no

10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights")
cfl, i'm guessing around a little over 10,000 lumens? maybe less.

11. How close are your lights to the plants?
6" ish

12. What size is your grow space in square feet?
really small. 2.5 sq feet maybe. i need to build a bigger box because i'm hopefully getting an hps, moving some of the plants outside while flowering some of them inside for fun.

13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space?
it's around 70-75 degrees f, humidity varies from like 40%-60%. at one point i was trying to get the ventilation system working and the young (like three day old) seedlings had to sit in like 96F heat overnight. i had to redo the whole thing but the temp is under control. so i'm wondering if that incident stunted their growth? i feel like they should be larger. i love ghetto wiring fans like that.

14. What is the pH of the soil?
again, no idea haha i need to do test this asap

15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space?
nope/

16. How much experience do you have growing?
my job involves growing other plants. i'd like to think i know what i'm doing but probably not.

so here it goes:

i'm growing in this crappy little box with some cfls and a fan. i don't know how many plants i have, around fourteen, but i have a good outdoor spot to transplant them on june 1st, and i'll be keeping a few of them inside for flowering if i can get my hands on a hps lamp. that being said i need to expand the size of my area and pots if that's going to happen.

i have the plants on 24-0 light. hopefully this is okay. i'm using just straight topsoil in the brown pots which is probably dumb. i added some ferts, listed above. at some point the plants sat overnight at like 95 for a while which was my fault so they may have been set back by that.

i was just a little worried about a few of these plants. they are light green lookin and the leaf edges are curled up. i know i have to test for ph. should i be using ferts? no? what should i do about the plants potted in topsoil? i have some idea of directions i could go but i would just feel more comfortable with some positive reinforcement :smile:

i don't mind if my plants aren't the fastest growing, i just want them to survive so i can put most of them outside. sorry for the shitty cell pics.

hope you guys can help. anything is appreciated.
if someone thinks that i should just get some shit to test the ph, buy proper soil, etc and then come back, i'll do that. peace

see the culprits in the middle. i think the rest look pretty much okay.

a closer but more out of focus view showing the curling and light green color

next time i'll get a proper camera ugh.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: first time, goin a little slow. [Re: in_sherman]
    #403278 - 04/17/10 06:57 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

My educated guess would be that it is a combination of shitty soil and the beginnings of overfeeding. All the others look really green and so do the tops of the yellowing ones. Stop feeding just the yellowing ones for now and see if that helps.

Then again it could be just the genetics of the seed. Whenever I start a lot of plants at the same time (like 20), I always get one or two that yellow right from the second set of real leaves and just don't grow as well as the rest.

Other than that I think they look pretty good considering the circumstances.

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

Offlinein_sherman
Stranger
Re: first time, goin a little slow. [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #403582 - 04/18/10 08:43 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

thanks for your response!

the yellowing leaves problem has worsened for the effected plants and now the leaves are turning brown on the edges. the plants that look decent in the above pics are just growing, pretty healthy as far as i can tell. i took some ferts out of the poor looking plants' pots like you said so hopefully that will help with something.

i got a ph tester at agway today. i tested three plants:
1. plant in orange pot, good looking. potting soil, some of the stupid slow release nutes- pH 7.5
2. plant in brown pot, shitty looking leaves. just topsoil- pH 7.0
3. plant in brown pot, with decent looking leaves. just topsoil- pH 7.25

well, i don't think these are way out of line but maybe they are. i'm trying to figure out other reasons why some of these plants aren't doing so hot. the topsoil, when it dries, gets really hard and compact. will this affect the roots of the plants when it comes to growth, gas exchange, etc? i really think i need to put those plants in a proper soil mix.

i ended up getting a (free) 100w mh bulb, ghetto reflector, and an old ass 100w ballast. the dude had a 400w mh and a 250w hps bulb and he said he had the ballasts but couldn't find them. so not my first choice but hopefully i can set something up that is bigger, allowing for repotting and new soil, and the addition of a small mh bulb (and maybe something larger later) to supplement the cfls for now.

suggestions still appreciated. i'll try to get less lo-fi pics taken soon to show the problems in further detail. peace

Offlinein_sherman
Stranger
Re: first time, goin a little slow. [Re: in_sherman]
    #407766 - 04/27/10 07:20 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

okay! well the problem with some of the plants got pretty severe but i replanted them (for the second time already, ugh) and they all seem to be doing pretty well for my shitty cfl setup crapbox

</growlog> haha

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale